Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (http://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   Rocky Mountain FS bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/925109-rocky-mountain-fs-bikes.html)

EthanYQX 12-06-13 12:29 PM

Rocky Mountain FS bikes
 
Hey guys.

I got myself a new job, so I'm looking at picking myself up a new bike pretty soon. I ride a lot of rocky, rooty trails on hardpack, so I'm thinking a 5" travel full sus is what I want. Something to handle fast rocky single track that's still rideable all day.

This has led me to a few bikes, and the one I'm most curious about right now is the Rocky Mountain Altitude, which is a 650b. Anyone ridden RM bikes? What are your impressions on them?

Also on the list is a Norco Sight 650b, a Jamis Dakar and the Scott. I'd really like to keep it under $4000 Canadian.

I am pretty fixated on 650b wheels but they're not a requirement. For right now, I'm really looking for opinions on RM. Not a brand I've seen much.

Daspydyr 12-06-13 05:20 PM

I think you have made some good choices to make choices from. I like the 650b option for tire sizes. Scott is one of the first companies to get serious about 650b, but they have no corner or bragging rights on it. It is a good size. Norco and Scott are two of my favorite names. Rocky MT is just as solid at that price point. Looks like Christmas should be good in your house. Post what you end up with and let me know why.

EthanYQX 12-06-13 07:50 PM

I like that the RM is Canadian, and the Altitude is pretty much exactly what I want. Ticks all the boxes so to speak. The disadvantage to RM is that I can't find a dealer. I'm gonna check out the Genius and the Sight in person next chance I get, though.

Have you ridden an RM? What'd you think?

Daspydyr 12-06-13 11:25 PM

Never have ridden a RM. I have seen it and the Genius at an REI dealer down here. Is REI up there? If so you have a service location all over. Same with the Scott line. You can also order them online from REI.

EthanYQX 12-10-13 09:08 PM

No REI in Canada, but there's an RM dealer pretty close to the nearest Norco shop. When I get the chance, I'm gonna go take both for a ride. I'm really liking the Altitude, it seems like it was almost built for me...

its honestly also really exciting to be in a position where I can finally look at a bike like this, so I'd like it to be perfect...I've heard good things about the RM's character.

Bandrada 12-11-13 09:23 PM

My buddy has an RM Altitude. He likes it fine. The price is hard to beat for the kit. I test rode the Altitude earlier this summer and it really wasn't my cup of tea. I would have preferred a way different build spec, though. I haven't shopped seriously for a new bike in a long time, so take these words with a grain of salt.

Dannihilator 12-11-13 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EthanYQX (Post 16307032)
Hey guys.

I got myself a new job, so I'm looking at picking myself up a new bike pretty soon. I ride a lot of rocky, rooty trails on hardpack, so I'm thinking a 5" travel full sus is what I want. Something to handle fast rocky single track that's still rideable all day.

This has led me to a few bikes, and the one I'm most curious about right now is the Rocky Mountain Altitude, which is a 650b. Anyone ridden RM bikes? What are your impressions on them?

Also on the list is a Norco Sight 650b, a Jamis Dakar and the Scott. I'd really like to keep it under $4000 Canadian.

I am pretty fixated on 650b wheels but they're not a requirement. For right now, I'm really looking for opinions on RM. Not a brand I've seen much.

Ever think about what devinci has to offer?

EthanYQX 12-12-13 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandrada (Post 16322955)
My buddy has an RM Altitude. He likes it fine. The price is hard to beat for the kit. I test rode the Altitude earlier this summer and it really wasn't my cup of tea. I would have preferred a way different build spec, though. I haven't shopped seriously for a new bike in a long time, so take these words with a grain of salt.

What was it you didn't like about it? Something in the way it handled?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannihilator (Post 16323003)
Ever think about what devinci has to offer?

No, but I am now. Local-ish dealer as well. I really like the aluminum Troy.

Bandrada 12-12-13 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EthanYQX (Post 16324048)
What was it you didn't like about it? Something in the way it handled?

I thought it was a little sluggish and lacked some stability in rough. It was my first experience with 27.5" wheels, so maybe that was the problem. Like I said, I'm used to a slightly different setup than what the demos were equipped with, too.

Here's a clip of some of the areas I rode on the test ride (not the actual test ride)

https://vimeo.com/52474498

EthanYQX 12-12-13 01:44 PM

Good info, thanks.

Ill watch the clip later, won't load on my stupid iPad for whatever reason.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 AM.