Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    All Mountain, no more road bike

    Just wanted to say hello and glad to be in the mountain bike section full time now. I got into road biking in the last two years, however, i have had some really close calls with cars and saw someone killed on their road bike. Riding my motorcycles is enough risk for the family, so i am selling my road bike and moving to all mountain bike. I have enough trails and paved trails around that i can avoid the road. The good side is road bike stuff is crazy more expensive relative to the MTB stuff i want, so i was able to sell road bike stuff and pickup a bikes direct fat bike and selling my trek madone now to buy a lynskey pro29. I had a few road bike rides planned this year, Levi's ride etc, but i figure rather then do the 100 mile ride, i can do the 65 mile rides on my mountain bike for those. Anyone else a former road bike person, that rides pretty much all mountain bikes now. Worried i will miss the speed of the road bike downhill and climbing, but won't miss the spandex :-) or traffic

  2. #2
    S'toon trail rider! MisterK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saskatoon, SK
    My Bikes
    2011 Norco Mountaineer, 70's Empire ????
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to get into mtb, don't go with the cheaper bikes direct fat bikes. Imo go with the classic 26" be it fs or hardtail. You'll get the best worth for your dollar. If you're dead set on a fatbike I suggest a name brand fatty like a norco, specialized, or surly.
    Maybe steer away from 27.5 as its still newer and typically more expensive.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bleh just get the BD or one of the Framed Minnesota fat bikes. Nothing wrong with the BD fantom frame which is just a Diamant/Nakamura fat bike frame with different stickers while their Boris is a Kona? frame, too lazy to look that one up again. I'd lean torwards the Framed bikes rightnow just because they are including a complete set of 29er wheels with tires, disc, and cassette with their bikes which you could then resale.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Coastal GA
    My Bikes
    Fuji Comp 29r, Downtube, Tommi Sea fat bike, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, Full suspension mini-velo/MTB, Loopwheel M-Velo
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canker View Post
    Bleh just get the BD or one of the Framed Minnesota fat bikes. Nothing wrong with the BD fantom frame which is just a Diamant/Nakamura fat bike frame with different stickers while their Boris is a Kona? frame, too lazy to look that one up again. I'd lean torwards the Framed bikes rightnow just because they are including a complete set of 29er wheels with tires, disc, and cassette with their bikes which you could then resale.
    +1 The BD Fatties are just fine. No reason to jump into a $1500-2500 Fatbike these days, unless you just have an affinity for one of the higher-end brands. On the right track too, with the 29'r, especially coming off a road-bike background. I'm partial to 29r's and wouldn't go back to 26 unless I just happened upon a really nice one, that was closeout priced. 27.5 combines benefits of both platforms and has been out long enough to be well established, but don't like the idea of adding yet another tire size to my stable(20, 29 & Fat)...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Talon 27.5 4, 2013 Specialized Allez Comp
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrash3 View Post
    ......Anyone else a former road bike person, that rides pretty much all mountain bikes now. Worried i will miss the speed of the road bike downhill and climbing, but won't miss the spandex :-) or traffic
    Well, I'm a TOTAL MTB noob, but I haven't ridden my road bike since I got my mountain bike. What it did for me is made biking fun again. I had gotten into a rut--my road bike was my main "workout" in life, and I just started feeling like I was slogging it out there, mainly looking forward to the ride being over so I could know that I did it. There's so much more pleasure I find in mountain biking, that it's all I want to do. For starters, you're in nature (no traffic!), there's so much variety in the terrain and your surroundings, etc. I find it infinitely more meditative and exciting at the same time. I'm lucky I live close enough to some good trails to ride to them if I want, and many others are just a short car trip away, so I'm grateful for that.
    Last edited by pbass; 01-24-14 at 10:52 AM.
    2013 Specialized Allez Comp

  6. #6
    Senior Member hopsing08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a road biker and just sold my road bike for a Trek 6000 from my brother in law. I am going for my first MTB ride today. The hardest thing I see about MTB already is that I dont know any trails. With a road bike I would map out my ride on a drive, now its like an adventure to see where these little dirt trails actually lead.
    A long life may not be good enough but a good life is long enough.
    Wish not so much to live long as to live well.
    Ben Franklin

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Giant Trance X 29er, Giant OCR C2
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering selling my road bike and sticking strictly to MTB too. Besides the car traffic, I'm finding that the road bike sitting position is causing comfort issues for me. Particularly lower abdominal. No issues on the MTB. The one thing I would miss would be grabbing a quick 15 - 20 mile ride at lunch time. I have to drive to the MTB trails. On the MTB side, I'm encountering more joggers, hikers, and walkers with their iPods blaring so loud into their ears they can't hear me coming or even announcing my presence within 10 feet of them! Whether road or MTB, we just need to have our senses on high for all types of traffic.

  8. #8
    Senior Member letitsnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrash3 View Post
    Just wanted to say hello and glad to be in the mountain bike section full time now. I got into road biking in the last two years, however, i have had some really close calls with cars and saw someone killed on their road bike. Riding my motorcycles is enough risk for the family, so i am selling my road bike and moving to all mountain bike. I have enough trails and paved trails around that i can avoid the road. The good side is road bike stuff is crazy more expensive relative to the MTB stuff i want, so i was able to sell road bike stuff and pickup a bikes direct fat bike and selling my trek madone now to buy a lynskey pro29. I had a few road bike rides planned this year, Levi's ride etc, but i figure rather then do the 100 mile ride, i can do the 65 mile rides on my mountain bike for those. Anyone else a former road bike person, that rides pretty much all mountain bikes now. Worried i will miss the speed of the road bike downhill and climbing, but won't miss the spandex :-) or traffic
    I basically sold my road bike and replaced it with a rigid 29er that is set up more for gravel/bike paths then hardcore off road trails. With that bike I can ride on the dirt shoulder if the road is busy, and being in a bit more of an upright position - it seems easier to be aware of your surroundings.

    Always was a mountain biker first...
    "I'm pleased with the way I handled that moment because a few years ago I might have thrown my toys out of the pram and chucked my bike down the ravine!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added slicks onto my MTB and what a difference. I can still ride some of the fire roads around here. But on the road, i am almost as fast as my road bike. I don't get quite the top speed going down hill, but i am very happy with it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ncfisherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    My Bikes
    Canfield Yelli Screamy, Pivot Mach5, Specialized Roubaix, '65 Hercules, '79 Schwinn Stingray Lil Chic, '68 Schwinn Stingray Fastback, '89 Specialized Allez Epic, '86 Battaglin World Champion
    Posts
    457
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the MTB forum. The Pro29 is a sweet bike -- my brother is very happy with his.

  11. #11
    Coffee Stud
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    My Bikes
    Fuji ALOHA TT, Diamondback Response MTB, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB,
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread, along with the, "How to be a Road Biker" video (funny, but true) has inspired me to go ALL MTB. My only concern is that I am a former competitive runner and I notice that in MTB races (as well as road) there is not much offered to the older age groups (I am 73). Any suggestions?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •