Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Mid level rider,New here
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn varsity - 2009 Trek 1.2 - 2011 FELT AR5 - 2008 KONA DAWG Dee-Lux.
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Need some advice on a new rear shock and a few other upgrades

    Hello BF community, im back again to ask a few questions. this time about my mountain bike and some possible upgrades for the upcomeing year.

    First up is the rear shock, i need to replace the stock one thats on it because its damaged. The stock one is a old ( roughly 2008-2010 ) fox float rp2 200mm. Im looking for its equivalent or an upgrade around the 150-200$ range, i am willing to go a bit higher if theres one really worth the extra buck. I do mainly trail / xc riding and hit some pretty rough downhill sections so i need something that will preform well there, i would like a lockout but i think they all have that for the most part. a few optionals i wouldent mind are a main body thats white to match my forks and the option to add a lockout remote.
    the next thing i would like to upgrade is my breaks, im not to sure what type they are and the marking are vague " juicy five " on the calipers and " avid " on the rotors. they too came stock on my bike which is a 2008-2010 KONA Dawg Dee-Lux incase you wish to look up the parts.

    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on these or any other upgrades that would be worth doing.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar440ci View Post
    Hello BF community, im back again to ask a few questions. this time about my mountain bike and some possible upgrades for the upcomeing year.

    First up is the rear shock, i need to replace the stock one thats on it because its damaged. The stock one is a old ( roughly 2008-2010 ) fox float rp2 200mm. Im looking for its equivalent or an upgrade around the 150-200$ range, i am willing to go a bit higher if theres one really worth the extra buck. I do mainly trail / xc riding and hit some pretty rough downhill sections so i need something that will preform well there, i would like a lockout but i think they all have that for the most part. a few optionals i wouldent mind are a main body thats white to match my forks and the option to add a lockout remote.
    the next thing i would like to upgrade is my breaks, im not to sure what type they are and the marking are vague " juicy five " on the calipers and " avid " on the rotors. they too came stock on my bike which is a 2008-2010 KONA Dawg Dee-Lux incase you wish to look up the parts.

    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on these or any other upgrades that would be worth doing.

    Thanks
    If you quit upgrading your breaks, you'll likely forget about color coordinating your whip.

    Anyway, what's the i2i on the shock, and why do you want to upgrade those brakes?
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  3. #3
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandrada View Post
    Anyway, what's the i2i on the shock . . .
    Eye-to-eye = 7.875; stroke = 2.000 (http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...educerSpec.xls)

    Mopar, I'd look for an RP23 or CTD Adjust. If you can splurge, go with a CC Double-barrel air.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bandrada View Post
    . . . and why do you want to upgrade those brakes?
    Probably for the same reason I'm going to ditch my Elixir 5s - - they're Avids . Seriously, Juicies were notoriously problematic.

  4. #4
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Eye-to-eye = 7.875; stroke = 2.000 (http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...educerSpec.xls)

    Mopar, I'd look for an RP23 or CTD Adjust. If you can splurge, go with a CC Double-barrel air.


    Probably for the same reason I'm going to ditch my Elixir 5s - - they're Avids . Seriously, Juicies were notoriously problematic.
    SRAM has warrantied my Codes twice, but when they work they are great.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  5. #5
    Mid level rider,New here
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn varsity - 2009 Trek 1.2 - 2011 FELT AR5 - 2008 KONA DAWG Dee-Lux.
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Eye-to-eye = 7.875; stroke = 2.000 (http://service.foxracingshox.com/con...educerSpec.xls)

    Mopar, I'd look for an RP23 or CTD Adjust. If you can splurge, go with a CC Double-barrel air.


    Probably for the same reason I'm going to ditch my Elixir 5s - - they're Avids . Seriously, Juicies were notoriously problematic.
    Thanks, ill look into them right away.

    And yes im not a big fan of these juicys, they howl like mad no mater what i do and only yeild moderate stopping power. i was thinking Maybe upgrade the rotors from 160mm to 170mm and replace the pads see what happens, then decide from there.


    *EDIT* got reserching the juicys a bit more and relized they only take 160m , 185m, and 203m rotors. ill probably try the 185s with new pads and see what they do.
    Last edited by Mopar440ci; 01-27-14 at 05:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Mid level rider,New here
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn varsity - 2009 Trek 1.2 - 2011 FELT AR5 - 2008 KONA DAWG Dee-Lux.
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandrada View Post
    If you quit upgrading your breaks, you'll likely forget about color coordinating your whip.

    Anyway, what's the i2i on the shock, and why do you want to upgrade those brakes?
    eye to eye is as i mentioned in first post 200 mm. and like i said color is optional but white is prefered. cant hurt to match it if its avalible.

  7. #7
    "I'm OK!" dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Posts
    12,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar440ci View Post
    And yes im not a big fan of these juicys, they howl like mad no mater what i do and only yeild moderate stopping power. i was thinking Maybe upgrade the rotors from 160mm to 170mm and replace the pads see what happens, then decide from there.
    I recommend Brake Authority rotors and pads. The 'Aggressive' line has worked very well for me and wear life has been real good.

  8. #8
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar440ci View Post
    eye to eye is as i mentioned in first post 200 mm. and like i said color is optional but white is prefered. cant hurt to match it if its avalible.
    What kind of damage did the shock sustain? A rebuild kit is only about $25, or there are few companies who do some aftermarket work on dampers like PUSH.

    Take off the decals and paint it during one of your breaks.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  9. #9
    Mid level rider,New here
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn varsity - 2009 Trek 1.2 - 2011 FELT AR5 - 2008 KONA DAWG Dee-Lux.
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandrada View Post
    What kind of damage did the shock sustain? A rebuild kit is only about $25, or there are few companies who do some aftermarket work on dampers like PUSH.

    Take off the decals and paint it during one of your breaks.
    well im not certain the extent of it, i need to tear it down and see if its the piston or more. it makes a clicking and creaking over large bumps and the lockout has quit working. it went out in the middle of a trip and i had to ride on it quite aways.

    if its not to bad off i guess i could rebuild it, but as far as painting. im not sure there as it would take great care not to get it where it will hinder the pushrod.

    im just looking past fixes as i would like to upgrade it a bit, im not very happy with this shock.

  10. #10
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar440ci View Post
    well im not certain the extent of it, i need to tear it down and see if its the piston or more. it makes a clicking and creaking over large bumps and the lockout has quit working. it went out in the middle of a trip and i had to ride on it quite aways.

    if its not to bad off i guess i could rebuild it, but as far as painting. im not sure there as it would take great care not to get it where it will hinder the pushrod.

    im just looking past fixes as i would like to upgrade it a bit, im not very happy with this shock.
    I know poo about air shocks. I was pretty impressed with the X-Fusion Vector I rode on a DW link, and I hear that Rock Shox Monarch (I run a Vivid coil) is pretty popular with some folks. Rock Shox has rarely failed me in the way of performance, and it's pretty easy on the wallet.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  11. #11
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim? scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    East coast
    My Bikes
    hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser
    Posts
    3,484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New pads. Stick a 185mm rotor up front (and make sure you order up the right adapter for your caliper/fork mount) and see about getting a bleed done, or doing it yourself - it's easy, and a basic bleed kit for Avid stuff isn't too spendy. Maybe a new rear as well, if your current one is old/dinged/bent up enough. A good bleed on those BRAKES helps them enormously.

    Poke around the web and look for a 7.875 x 2 Monarch - though for $200 on a rear shock, you'll be looking for a model or two year older on clearance, or a deal on e-bay. At the price-point you mention, that's going to be your best bet for a decent shock, IMO. AFAIK, anything with a remote or the ability to add a remote setup is going to run you a fair bit more.

    The couple Monarch shocks I've had have blown the stock Fox shocks they replaced out of the water, right from the box. That's also true for the Vivid Air that replaced a DHX Air-5 on one bike.
    I believe the clouds in my coffee more than the weatherman on t.v.

  12. #12
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Scrub. See what you can do about your current brake setup. At least you can sell them knowing that they are functional. Even though I've had some issues with Codes (typically the o-ring has broken down on either the front or the rear and SRAM sends me a whole new set), they are great brakes for the price and I continue to buy them. I just purchased the Code-R for a build and they certainly outperform my 5 y/o old XT's.

    http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Code-R-Di.../dp/B0065HGEEI
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  13. #13
    Mid level rider,New here
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn varsity - 2009 Trek 1.2 - 2011 FELT AR5 - 2008 KONA DAWG Dee-Lux.
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got one more question for you guys.

    i keep bottoming out my front forks and would like to upgrade, what would be better a 130mm normal fork or a small dh type forkk one that keeps my geometry but would take bumps a bit harder. the trails in my area are brutal on the fast sections from washouts and all sorts of other hazards

  14. #14
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar440ci View Post
    i got one more question for you guys.

    i keep bottoming out my front forks and would like to upgrade, what would be better a 130mm normal fork or a small dh type forkk one that keeps my geometry but would take bumps a bit harder. the trails in my area are brutal on the fast sections from washouts and all sorts of other hazards
    You'll need to look at the axle to crown of your current fork. If you can find an older Rock Shox SA, the travel adjust is easy peasy with some spacers.
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

  15. #15
    Mid level rider,New here
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maine
    My Bikes
    1973 Schwinn varsity - 2009 Trek 1.2 - 2011 FELT AR5 - 2008 KONA DAWG Dee-Lux.
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandrada View Post
    You'll need to look at the axle to crown of your current fork. If you can find an older Rock Shox SA, the travel adjust is easy peasy with some spacers.
    looks to be about 45 on the stock shock, a rockshox tora tk. looks to have right around 100-110 m travel

  16. #16
    Bandolero Bandrada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Land of Enhancement
    My Bikes
    ...
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar440ci View Post
    looks to be about 45 on the stock shock, a rockshox tora tk. looks to have right around 100-110 m travel
    I would go with less travel. What do you mean by 45 on the shock? I thought we were talking about your fork(s).
    Nothing better than a good chain lube thread...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •