Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-14, 11:17 AM   #1
Lew.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England, Great Britain
Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XC lid and goggles

Hey, just wandering if anyone here has used a set of goggles (like Oakley's MX series) with a XC helmet (open faced). I'm aware it looks daft, but I've seen some riders using them in enduro events and now some XC/enduro lids are being made with goggles in mind (I'll post link at end to article). I usually ride road helmet (Specialized Echelon) and glasses (Oakley Halfjackets), but looking for opinions on the XC helmet and DH goggles.

It looks quite silly but I was wandering if anyone has experience with this type of combination, I'm more into function than form. Going to get a new MTB specific helmet because it's a shame to get the road/track race helmet all scratched up on branches. Any thoughts? Pros/cons? (I've Googled other forums, and the general consensus was either 'it looks stupid' or 'function over form', looking for different perspective).

(Bell's 'Super' helmet - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...l-super-47118/
Kali's Avana helmet, briefly mentions goggle compatibility - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...i-avana-46794/ )
Lew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 11:43 AM   #2
slowride454
Senior Member
 
slowride454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix - Soma Double Cross Disc - Salsa Spearfish - Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy - Specialized Carve SL - Trek Farley 7 - GT Dyno VFR
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ride with my XC helmet and goggles, especially when it is cold out. I recently got a new IXS Trail RS helmet with more coverage in the rear and it looks much better with my goggles. Still dorky, but much better than with the roadie helmet I was wearing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew. View Post
Hey, just wandering if anyone here has used a set of goggles (like Oakley's MX series) with a XC helmet (open faced). I'm aware it looks daft, but I've seen some riders using them in enduro events and now some XC/enduro lids are being made with goggles in mind (I'll post link at end to article). I usually ride road helmet (Specialized Echelon) and glasses (Oakley Halfjackets), but looking for opinions on the XC helmet and DH goggles.

It looks quite silly but I was wandering if anyone has experience with this type of combination, I'm more into function than form. Going to get a new MTB specific helmet because it's a shame to get the road/track race helmet all scratched up on branches. Any thoughts? Pros/cons? (I've Googled other forums, and the general consensus was either 'it looks stupid' or 'function over form', looking for different perspective).

(Bell's 'Super' helmet - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...l-super-47118/
Kali's Avana helmet, briefly mentions goggle compatibility - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...i-avana-46794/ )
slowride454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 11:47 AM   #3
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If you're going to actually be racing enduros, you really should look at an enduro-specific helmet rather than just an XC lid. You're going to be approaching near-DH speeds and consequences, so you should have a lid that's up to that. I'd look at the Urge Arch-Enduro.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 04:33 PM   #4
Lew.
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: England, Great Britain
Bikes: Tarmac/LangsterPro/Epic
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The main purpose for the lid purchase is because the road lid is coming to the end of it's life and am looking at getting a higher level road helmet for road and track events. It would be a shame to get a more expensive helmet damaged/scratched by using it for MTB'ing. So, I'm looking into a MTB helmet. As I'm doing events that range from muddy XC up to more descent orientated stuff like enduro, I thought a trail helmet and goggles would be the best 'compromise'. I can't really afford two helmets for the MTB, and don't fancy overheating in a full-face helmet when I'm climbing in a XC event...
Mostly looking for opinions on the goggles for non DH use as I've never used them before.
Lew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 06:04 PM   #5
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew. View Post
Mostly looking for opinions on the goggles for non DH use as I've never used them before.
In that case, use what you feel will work for you and don't worry what it looks like to others. I personally own the Urge Endur-O-Matic for XC/trail use and love it. Have to confess I've never tried my goggles with it but would not hesitate to if I felt the need.

One of the coolest riders in the world, cooler than you and I and all the rest of us here put together - - Sanjay - - wore goggles with a skate lid and didn't care what it looked like as a smoked his competitors:



__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 09:34 PM   #6
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Much respect for Sanjay. The guy entered the Sea Otter DJ competition with an old beach cruiser.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 AM.