Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fat Bike Thread in 50+ seeking further input (cross-post)

    Last edited by dminor; 05-10-14 at 11:34 AM.

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,126
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have them in the LBS, what application do you have in mind? what is your budget?

  3. #3
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to see here. . . just the old dudes looking to extend their season on riding to the pie shop.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have never stopped at a pie shop while on a bike ride - summer or winter. not all old dudes live for pie - Got a lot of information from another site which has a fat bike forum - would be nice to have one there

  5. #5
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
    Got a lot of information from another site which has a fat bike forum - would be nice to have one there
    Lots of fat bike info on the "other " forum and Facebook - so look there for that info.
    Lots of good info here for most every other type of bike - so still look here once in a while.
    Guess we have to be flexible and look at more than one forum, since this one doesn't seem to be flexible enough to accommodate another one.

  6. #6
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm . . . seems to me we're pretty accommodating around here. I think we have more roadies per capita here than there are in the road forum.

  7. #7
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall BF.net is very accommodating - lots of great people and great advise for almost every genre of cycling.

    But....for what ever reason...not very open to Fat Bikes. With "everything else cycling" here...why not a forum or sub forum or even a sticky dedicated to Fat Bikes?

  8. #8
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that the more subforums there are, the less activity each forum gets, so we try not to overlap. Fat bikes and mountain see enough overlap (lots of fat bike topics in this subforum) that it's not worth having a completely new subforum.

  9. #9
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr11 View Post
    The problem is that the more subforums there are, the less activity each forum gets, so we try not to overlap. Fat bikes and mountain see enough overlap (lots of fat bike topics in this subforum) that it's not worth having a completely new subforum.
    So I've been told by the site admin, but don't get the logic behind this rationale...the entire site would still get the same amount of traffic, or is it a cost issue to structure with more additional forums or subforums?
    A dedicated forum or even a subforum would be more user friendly; ie. people wanting general or specific info for a certain genre would not have to search though several forums, topics and posts. Am I missing something here, or is it like the big box stores where one has to search the entire store for a specific item, because of their lack of logical placement (albeit they want shoppers to do this, so they are exposed to more product)?
    As far as overlap, especially with Mtb Forum...Fat Bikes have some unique characteristics and issues as well as advancements being made at a rampant pace.... a subforum in the Mtb Forum would seem the logical answer; as the bulk of their usage is off road or all terrain riding.
    Last edited by GTryder; 06-07-14 at 01:59 PM. Reason: more info

  10. #10
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,712
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTryder View Post
    So I've been told by the site admin, but don't get the logic behind this rationale...the entire site would still get the same amount of traffic, or is it a cost issue to structure with more additional forums or subforums?
    A dedicated forum or even a subforum would be more user friendly; ie. people wanting general or specific info for a certain genre would not have to search though several forums, topics and posts. Am I missing something here, or is it like the big box stores where one has to search the entire store for a specific item, because of their lack of logical placement (albeit they want shoppers to do this, so they are exposed to more product)?
    As far as overlap, especially with Mtb Forum...Fat Bikes have some unique characteristics and issues as well as advancements being made at a rampant pace.... a subforum in the Mtb Forum would seem the logical answer; as the bulk of their usage is off road or all terrain riding.
    The sound of crickets is already deafening enough in the MTB subforum so it needs the occasional fatbike post to prop it up Separate them out and this place will end up like BMX or Altbike.

    Maybe each fatbike thread should start with FATBIKE:

    Example:

    FATBIKE: Should I get the Glacier Pounder or the Beach Boinger?
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  11. #11
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    The sound of crickets is already deafening enough in the MTB subforum so it needs the occasional fatbike post to prop it up Separate them out and this place will end up like BMX or Altbike.

    Maybe each fatbike thread should start with FATBIKE:

    Example:

    FATBIKE: Should I get the Glacier Pounder or the Beach Boinger?
    Or a sticky in the Mountain Bike Forum with a link to the Fat BIke Forum @ MTBR.

  12. #12
    Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder Zephyr11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between heaven and hell
    My Bikes
    '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone
    Posts
    3,518
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTryder View Post
    So I've been told by the site admin, but don't get the logic behind this rationale...the entire site would still get the same amount of traffic, or is it a cost issue to structure with more additional forums or subforums?
    A dedicated forum or even a subforum would be more user friendly; ie. people wanting general or specific info for a certain genre would not have to search though several forums, topics and posts. Am I missing something here, or is it like the big box stores where one has to search the entire store for a specific item, because of their lack of logical placement (albeit they want shoppers to do this, so they are exposed to more product)?
    As far as overlap, especially with Mtb Forum...Fat Bikes have some unique characteristics and issues as well as advancements being made at a rampant pace.... a subforum in the Mtb Forum would seem the logical answer; as the bulk of their usage is off road or all terrain riding.
    It's less about cost, it's about subdividing a forum too far. To simplify on a smaller scale, picture one subforum with 10 posts/day vs two subforums with 5 posts/day each. There just aren't enough fatbike posts to warrant having another subforum. Check out the BMX subforum...a fatbike forum would likely be like that, or worse. Plus, unlike BMX bikes, which are a category unto themselves, fatbikes fall under the mountain bike umbrella. The mountain bike forum isn't so crowded that it needs separate XC/DH/DJ/enduro/4X/recreational/fatbike subforums. All of those categories have their own characteristics and issues (an XC bike has more in common with a fatbike than it does a DJ IMO...though that's not saying much), but you have to keep each subforum's activity at an optimal level...too much activity and posts get missed; too little and the subforum dies. Plus, it seems that the fatbike posts get answered in here just fine. As far as wasting time searching goes, my recommendation is just to use the search function.

    Believe it or not, the admin doesn't just randomly shoot down ideas for no reason. Suggestions are generally discussed in depth among the moderators, with particular weight given to those who spend the most time in the involved forums, and ride the kind of bikes involved. Unfortunately, if we honored every request that we get for a new subforum, we'd have a million different subforums that all got two posts per day, so we really strive to do what's best for BikeForums on a whole.

  13. #13
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr11 View Post
    It's less about cost, it's about subdividing a forum too far. To simplify on a smaller scale, picture one subforum with 10 posts/day vs two subforums with 5 posts/day each. There just aren't enough fatbike posts to warrant having another subforum. Check out the BMX subforum...a fatbike forum would likely be like that, or worse. Plus, unlike BMX bikes, which are a category unto themselves, fatbikes fall under the mountain bike umbrella. The mountain bike forum isn't so crowded that it needs separate XC/DH/DJ/enduro/4X/recreational/fatbike subforums. All of those categories have their own characteristics and issues (an XC bike has more in common with a fatbike than it does a DJ IMO...though that's not saying much), but you have to keep each subforum's activity at an optimal level...too much activity and posts get missed; too little and the subforum dies. Plus, it seems that the fatbike posts get answered in here just fine. As far as wasting time searching goes, my recommendation is just to use the search function.

    Believe it or not, the admin doesn't just randomly shoot down ideas for no reason. Suggestions are generally discussed in depth among the moderators, with particular weight given to those who spend the most time in the involved forums, and ride the kind of bikes involved. Unfortunately, if we honored every request that we get for a new subforum, we'd have a million different subforums that all got two posts per day, so we really strive to do what's best for BikeForums on a whole.
    So...what I am seeing is that some forums that have been created have very little traffic and the admin. don't want to risk this happening again. Perhaps the traffic they aren't getting is going to other sites with specific forums related to their interest or they were poor forum/topic choices to begin with and admin. don't want this to happen again?
    Nobody wants to make or be blamed for a mistake; kinda like the major bike manufacturers who missed the boat with Fat Bikes (29ers, 27.5's, E-bikes, cross bikes, etc.) and are now playing catch up in the missed sales/lost customer areas.

  14. #14
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Face it. Fatbikes, though cool and fun and different and enjoying a brief "Next Big Thing" status and you are super-stoked on them, are super micro-niche in the grand scheme of cycling or even just mountain biking. So small it makes downhill look like a mainstream juggernaut.

    We already have too many stickies in MTB - - have already had to pass on much more worthy sticky candidates because of that. We can't go having so many that they push the current, active threads below the fold.

    Tell you what: you ten guys with fatbikes rent the server space, purchase the domain name, pay for a copy of vBulletin (or similar forum platform) and start a fatbike forum that "everyone" can flock to. Or maybe even just pay for a membership here at least, so you can put your money where your mouth is.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,896
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every bike manufacturer now has at least one model out and WallyWorld has gotten into it, too. Its no longer a niche market for rich kids and their latest toys. Prices on fat bikes are starting to drop and it looks like they will become mainstream just like mountain biking exploded in the 1980s with the arrival of the Stumpjumper.

    We don't necessarily need a dedicated forum for them but I don't think they're going to go away any time soon.

  16. #16
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,712
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I think a fatbike would be fun but it would be my 11th or 12th bike. I only have 7 now, so it'll be a while...
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  17. #17
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Face it. Fatbikes, though cool and fun and different and enjoying a brief "Next Big Thing" status and you are super-stoked on them, are super micro-niche in the grand scheme of cycling or even just mountain biking. So small it makes downhill look like a mainstream juggernaut.

    We already have too many stickies in MTB - - have already had to pass on much more worthy sticky candidates because of that. We can't go having so many that they push the current, active threads below the fold.

    Tell you what: you ten guys with fatbikes rent the server space, purchase the domain name, pay for a copy of vBulletin (or similar forum platform) and start a fatbike forum that "everyone" can flock to. Or maybe even just pay for a membership here at least, so you can put your money where your mouth is.
    Guess being the brief "Next Big Thing" is proving to be lucrative enough for most manufacturers to jump into the game, many have sold out for this season and are taking pre-orders. Trek & Spec, being rather late entrants.

    If maybe 10 Guys with Fat Bikes are still here; guess the rest moved to MTBR or the Facebook group with over 3000 members and growing daily.

    Too bad BikeForum.net isn't big enough to accommodate all cyclists and their interests. If it were maybe more of us with mouths would buy a membership.


  18. #18
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    I think a fatbike would be fun but it would be my 11th or 12th bike. I only have 7 now, so it'll be a while...
    That was my thought a while ago, but I just postponed 8, 9, 10 & 11.

  19. #19
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
    Every bike manufacturer now has at least one model out and WallyWorld has gotten into it, too. Its no longer a niche market for rich kids and their latest toys. Prices on fat bikes are starting to drop and it looks like they will become mainstream just like mountain biking exploded in the 1980s with the arrival of the Stumpjumper.

    We don't necessarily need a dedicated forum for them but I don't think they're going to go away any time soon.
    But a sub-forum would have been nice before all the interest went to other forums & Facebook
    Last edited by GTryder; 06-08-14 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo-replying to too many posts at the same time

  20. #20
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,712
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    New subforum creation can get a little contentious. You shoulda seen the stink that went down when they wanted a gravel grinder subforum. Some folks figured there should just be a CX racing subforum then the non-racing CX subforum would be more gravel-grinder oriented. People were all "but I race gravel grinders, how dare you?!"

    That was a fun couple of days before the dust settled.

    Now everyone's happy in the Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking subforum.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  21. #21
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    New subforum creation can get a little contentious. You shoulda seen the stink that went down when they wanted a gravel grinder subforum. Some folks figured there should just be a CX racing subforum then the non-racing CX subforum would be more gravel-grinder oriented. People were all "but I race gravel grinders, how dare you?!"

    That was a fun couple of days before the dust settled.

    Now everyone's happy in the Recreational Cyclocross and Gravelbiking subforum.
    Lester,
    Maybe its more a case of semantics; lets face it "Fat Bike" sounds more appalling than appealing to those who don't know what they're all about.
    Or maybe a "re-structure or merger" could accommodate and appease all at once. I haven't been on BF.net long enough to know the history of these type of actions.

  22. #22
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Bike Forum member looking for Fat Bike Info:
    Quote Originally Posted by Walpurgisnacht View Post
    I've seen a fat bike or two used along my local trails and found them intriguing. I didn't come to the forums specifically looking for them, but while I was here I thought to see if there was a forum of sorts for them, just to read over general comments and opinions. I suppose that makes me someone with interest, so I'll add my support to the request.
    Forum Suggestion - Fat Bikes

  23. #23
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's already a BF Fatbike forum:

    Xtreme Fat Tire Bike Parts & Components

    Sure it's mostly one vendor's posts now but he must be a bit lonely. Have at it folks! A subforum waiting to be populated with your fatbiking threads.

  24. #24
    Senior Member GTryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Prince Albert, SK - Canada
    My Bikes
    1983 Free Spirit 10 speed (restoration project), 2009 Speciialized Globe San Francisco 2 (3 speed), 2011 Giant Dash 3, 2011 GT Traffic 3.0, 2011 GT Traffic 5.0 (single speed), 2012 GT Aggressor 3.0, 2014 Surface 604 Element (fat bike)
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    There's already a BF Fatbike forum:

    Xtreme Fat Tire Bike Parts & Components

    Sure it's mostly one vendor's posts now but he must be a bit lonely. Have at it folks! A subforum waiting to be populated with your fatbiking threads.
    Could that be because it is a "Vendor's Forum"​ ???

  25. #25
    Bad Company dminor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The 509
    My Bikes
    are awesome.
    Posts
    12,221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course - - so do you not have access to it?

    Since when does anybody in Bike Forums care where the forum is really? Commuters and road riders and gravel grinders post crap in here all the time even though it has nothing to do with mountain biking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •