Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help! I just bought a Trek 820

    I bought a Trek 820 off craigslist. I paid $65 and it's barley been used. It's a few years old. It's the first "real"/not Walmart bike I've ever owned. Also the shifting is different can someone explain to me how the shifting mechanism works? It feels like I can gear up, but not down. It's not a 2014 model. I know it's at least 5 years old and I can't find this information anywhere. Pictures will be attached below:
    |
    10390906_10152120098477409_5905544100782753963_n.jpg
    There is an identical mechanism on the left side

    10155523_10152120098312409_2343354404611702276_n.jpg
    ^ That is back side of the mechanism.

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its like the shifters I had on a previous bike, one button is for up, the other down. Never had an issue with it, but they did change the design later.

  3. #3
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    13,742
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would have been a good thing to check out when test riding it ...
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    would have been a good thing to check out when test riding it ...
    I was excited by the prospect. The guy didn't know what he had. I didn't really know either. I needed something for college. Figured I could find someone who knew.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRL View Post
    If its like the shifters I had on a previous bike, one button is for up, the other down. Never had an issue with it, but they did change the design later.
    That's how I assumed It'd work. Maybe it's just be but, both triggers feel like they're gearing up. No matter which one I hit the pedaling just stops doing anything productive.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lanovran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek 520, 2014 Trek Stache 8, 1985 Nishiki Team Issue, 2014 Dahon Vigor P9, State Vice 2.0
    Posts
    468
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing to do would be to take it in to a local bike shop, and have them give it a once-over to see what kind of work/adjustment it might need, if any. They could undoubtedly also help you out with learning how the bike's componentry functions (or should​ function, at least).

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanovran View Post
    Best thing to do would be to take it in to a local bike shop, and have them give it a once-over to see what kind of work/adjustment it might need, if any. They could undoubtedly also help you out with learning how the bike's componentry functions (or should​ function, at least).

    I guess I'll take it over to one tomorrow.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably just needs some tweaking. If its the shifters themselves, they aren't expensive to replace.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,592
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lolisaac View Post
    It's not a 2014 model. I know it's at least 5 years old
    That's Shimano Rapidfire, not Rapidfire+, Rapidfire hasn't been available since the very early 90's, it was defiantly gone by 1993, so that bike is 20+ years old at least.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous hybrid was bought three years ago, and came with Rapidfire, not Rapidfire+. I am not questioning your dates, just that sometimes makers get creative. They don't throw out parts.

  11. #11
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    13,742
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lolisaac View Post
    I was excited by the prospect. The guy didn't know what he had. I didn't really know either. I needed something for college. Figured I could find someone who knew.
    no worries. I've been there too. once bought a bike without even spinning the wheels and found out at home one needed to be replaced. oh well. sounds like a decent bike, so what if it needs work. most used bikes do. whether it's just cables or undoing what someone else messed up. a ride-ready tuneup from a bike shop will be money well spent. have them check the wheels while they are at it ...
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  12. #12
    cowboy, steel horse, etc LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rock Springs, WY
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    26,090
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesRL View Post
    My previous hybrid was bought three years ago, and came with Rapidfire, not Rapidfire+. I am not questioning your dates, just that sometimes makers get creative. They don't throw out parts.
    Really? WOW. You bought a NEW bike with push-push, under the bar shifters?

    What make/model was that?

    Most manufacturers don't hold onto parts from 20+ years ago.
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-27-14 at 06:45 PM.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1995ish Park Pre Pro 825 * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  13. #13
    cowboy, steel horse, etc LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rock Springs, WY
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    26,090
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lolisaac View Post
    I bought a Trek 820 off craigslist. I paid $65 and it's barley been used. It's a few years old. It's the first "real"/not Walmart bike I've ever owned. Also the shifting is different can someone explain to me how the shifting mechanism works? It feels like I can gear up, but not down. It's not a 2014 model. I know it's at least 5 years old and I can't find this information anywhere. Pictures will be attached below:
    |
    10390906_10152120098477409_5905544100782753963_n.jpg
    There is an identical mechanism on the left side

    10155523_10152120098312409_2343354404611702276_n.jpg
    ^ That is back side of the mechanism.
    Sometimes they just need a good flushing with copious amounts of WD-40 to get shifting again. Sometimes they're just plain broken and it would take a watchmaker to fix them.

    If replacement is needed you should be able to get into some 7-speed trigger shifters and some decent brake levers (make sure you get some that can be set up for cantis) for around $50. Probably $25-50 for installation.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1995ish Park Pre Pro 825 * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ray Dockrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    728
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shimano 200GS shifters. They came on my very first real bike. It was a Diamondback Sorento bought back in 1990. If I remember right this was Shimano first or second year going to push button shifting. Worked quite well. Like said above they only were around for a couple years then everything went Rapidfire+.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,592
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    Really? WOW. You bought a NEW bike with push-push, under the bar shifters?

    What make/model was that?

    Most manufacturers don't hold onto parts from 20+ years ago.
    Until #rumrunn6 comes back, thinking probably Mircoshift, as they are a similar (Visually) design to the old Rapidfire shifters

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Fiori Roma, Currently building a Bianchi, Trek 330, formerly Monshee Nomad, Favorit, Bianchi Sport SX, Frankenbike
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah think you may be correct, and I could be mistaken, it was Microshift not rapidfire, but the buttons look like the OP's picture.

    Yes it happens, I make mistakes. I'm an old guy with fewer active memory brain cells.

    But they work the same way as the rapidfires, two buttons/levers one for up, one for down, one over the other. I know they changed it, but I never had an issue with it. My son uses that bike now and he loves it compared the gripshifter on his older MB.

  17. #17
    Senior Member linnefaulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    florida
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220
    Posts
    1,805
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I miss those shifters. I had to have mine replaced and it took a while to get used to the new ones.
    sharon
    when did I become vintage?

  18. #18
    Senior Member corwin1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a 7-speed it's most likely a 90's era bike. Do you have a photo of the entire bike?
    Currently riding a custom built 1x9 Surly Karate Monkey. Dreaming of a 26" wheel build, either an 80's MTB or a Surly LHT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •