Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-05, 07:46 PM   #1
brickhead
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is gt going/ has gone out of business?

Saturday i will be testing the gt avalance 1.0 disc. i called the lbs and they are going to assemble the bike for me. my only issue is the warranty. i heard that gt is going out of business, sold the company or something like that. I even heard that gt will be selling their products to walmart/ target. That does not sound to good. although should i decide on this bike, there is some comfort knowing i would be having a lifetime on adjustments and the price is right at 480. from 650 for a '04 model.i also have a Specialized CX with all Ultegra! Anyone ever hear this. let me know.
Thx
brickhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 07:50 PM   #2
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pacific bought them and 'should' be honouring warranties. But for how long, who knows. (this was over 2 years ago btw)
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 10:30 PM   #3
willtsmith_nwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhead
Saturday i will be testing the gt avalance 1.0 disc. i called the lbs and they are going to assemble the bike for me. my only issue is the warranty. i heard that gt is going out of business, sold the company or something like that. I even heard that gt will be selling their products to walmart/ target. That does not sound to good. although should i decide on this bike, there is some comfort knowing i would be having a lifetime on adjustments and the price is right at 480. from 650 for a '04 model.i also have a Specialized CX with all Ultegra! Anyone ever hear this. let me know.
Thx

Dying would have been preferable to being assimilated into the Pacifica Borg Cube.
willtsmith_nwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 10:34 PM   #4
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good analogy
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 10:43 PM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
Dying would have been preferable to being assimilated into the Pacifica Borg Cube.
This may be the first thing I've fully agreed with you on
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-05, 11:39 PM   #6
CranxOC
Senior Member
 
CranxOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OC, California
Bikes: '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, Pegasus has allowed GT to function in a similar manner to the way it did years ago before it was acquired by Schwinn. While they're not the same bikes they used to be, they're not bad either and I wouldn't shy away from one at the right price. Granted, there are about 15 other brands that I would rather have than a GT.

If you're so inclined and you're getting a really good deal, I'd say take a shot on the GT; you'll probably be fine with it.
CranxOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-05, 08:45 AM   #7
Waldo
Zippy Engineer
 
Waldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: IN
Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranxOC
Actually, Pegasus has allowed GT to function in a similar manner to the way it did years ago before it was acquired by Schwinn. While they're not the same bikes they used to be, they're not bad either and I wouldn't shy away from one at the right price. Granted, there are about 15 other brands that I would rather have than a GT.
If you're so inclined and you're getting a really good deal, I'd say take a shot on the GT; you'll probably be fine with it.
Pegasus Partners is actually the company that owns Cannondale now; Pacific got GT as part of the Schwinn bankruptcy fiasco. Besides that, your assessment of the bikes' quality is spot on-they're still coming out of the same factories they were before. Pacific has been quite good with warranties on both GT and Schwinn products we've had issues with (much more Schwinn than GT).
Bottom line, if you like the bike, get it.
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 12:52 AM   #8
CranxOC
Senior Member
 
CranxOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OC, California
Bikes: '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Pegasus Partners is actually the company that owns Cannondale now; Pacific got GT as part of the Schwinn bankruptcy fiasco. Besides that, your assessment of the bikes' quality is spot on-they're still coming out of the same factories they were before. Pacific has been quite good with warranties on both GT and Schwinn products we've had issues with (much more Schwinn than GT).
Bottom line, if you like the bike, get it.
I guess I was a bit confused. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I very well may be) but wasn't there some crossover between the two companies? i.e. Pacific made a play for Cannondale while Pegasus made a play for GT/Schwinn.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. One thing that does suck however; is the fact that Pacific has let Schwinn become a total crap brand.
CranxOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 08:03 AM   #9
Waldo
Zippy Engineer
 
Waldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: IN
Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9
Posts: 1,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't recall if Pegasus went after GT/Schwinn (pretty sure they did not but I could certainly be wrong). Maybe you have them confused with Questor, one of Schwinn's previous owners.
I know Pacific didn't do anything with CDale.
It sure does such about Schwinn-I have all my Homegrown memorabilia, with one Homegrown and one of the Panthers they made right before they went out. They were doing some cool stuff and now they're in Wal-Mart. Progress.
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-05, 08:53 AM   #10
CranxOC
Senior Member
 
CranxOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OC, California
Bikes: '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh well, it doesn't really matter now. As for Schwinn; I never thought I'd see them turn to crap. Hooray for acquisition.
CranxOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 AM.