Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member shuttoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stolen off 16th st mall, Denver

    A co-worker of mine recently lost his Trek mountain bike. He went to downtown Denver on a Wednesday evening and locked it with a cable lock to one of those green upside-down u-shaped bars right on the 16th st mall. When he returned a couple hours later, the bike was gone and the cable lock was sitting on the ground, sliced clean open.

    So to remind everybody, especially myself, a cable lock isn't much of a deterrent to a thief. I use both a cable lock and U-lock for commuting to my job in downtown, lock the bike up in a high traffic area, and don't leave the bike outside after dark. But, I leave the U-lock at work because of the weight, relying on the cable lock for bopping around in the evenings and on weekends. Guess I'll be rethinking that strategy and watching where I park a lot closer

  2. #2
    Senior Member bvfrompc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttoj View Post
    A co-worker of mine recently lost his Trek mountain bike. He went to downtown Denver on a Wednesday evening and locked it with a cable lock to one of those green upside-down u-shaped bars right on the 16th st mall. When he returned a couple hours later, the bike was gone and the cable lock was sitting on the ground, sliced clean open.

    So to remind everybody, especially myself, a cable lock isn't much of a deterrent to a thief. I use both a cable lock and U-lock for commuting to my job in downtown, lock the bike up in a high traffic area, and don't leave the bike outside after dark. But, I leave the U-lock at work because of the weight, relying on the cable lock for bopping around in the evenings and on weekends. Guess I'll be rethinking that strategy and watching where I park a lot closer
    I went down to our parking garage once (Big Building with a Q on it) and found my cable lock hanging by its last thread, the would be thief must have been startled and took off becuase I think I could have pulled the cable apart at this point. That evening I went and got the big U. Ironically, it was on an older Trek Mountain Bike, the trusty steel Trek930, RIP.

  3. #3
    Trail Sanitizer Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Starship
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A co-worker showed me a cut cable lock just last week. He had locked up his bike in downtown Denver after dark. He then told me the story of a friend of his that had one stolen that had been locked up inside a "secure" building. No bike is safe.

  4. #4
    Blissketeer HokuLoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer. What is the best lock for the city now? I rarely if ever have to lock mine outside but I'm thinking I should upgrade my lock anyway.

  5. #5
    Member shuttoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bvfrompc View Post
    I went down to our parking garage once (Big Building with a Q on it) and found my cable lock hanging by its last thread, the would be thief must have been startled and took off becuase I think I could have pulled the cable apart at this point. That evening I went and got the big U.
    Great timing on your part, I'd be sick if I found that on my new commuter. Sounds like you haven't had further trouble since you got the U-lock, so I'm reassured some.

    Quote Originally Posted by bvfrompc View Post
    Ironically, it was on an older Trek Mountain Bike, the trusty steel Trek930, RIP.
    Hey, those stealthier bikes catch my eye too, maybe the thief had taste? I think innocuous-looking double-butted steel frames are the bomb for commuting.

  6. #6
    Member shuttoj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HokuLoa View Post
    Bummer. What is the best lock for the city now? I rarely if ever have to lock mine outside but I'm thinking I should upgrade my lock anyway.
    I dunno, multiple locks have worked for me so far. I don't think I'll ever bring myself to carry a u-lock on my road bike, but on the commuter bike it could be do-able.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •