Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-08, 10:30 AM   #1
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Out of commision for a while

On my ride commute home I was riding in the bike lane on Franklin heading north approaching Wash Park next to the school. A motorist pulled up next to me and took a right with me occupying the bike lane.
Suffice to say I went flying.

The end result was an ambulance ride to Denver Health and I met a few nice paramedics, nurses, and doctors. I was impressed with Denver Health.

Anyhow, my damage is as follows:
1) Left knee was opened to the fluid sacs the entire width of said knee. I have quite a few stitches.
Strangely enough, that does not hurt. If it does not hurt I am going to be worried.
2) Small road road rash on my right knee
3) Both palms are bruised badly. Thank goodness for gloves.
4) The small bone in my right arm is broken at the elbow. That is the one that hurts like a crazy.

It could have been much worse. At least my melon was unhurt.

Obviously, my century ride is canceled.

As for my fixed gear:
The car was parked on top of my front wheel. It is toast. My fork and the rest of the bike will need to be expected. That and my leg warmers are done for.
Once again, thank goodness it was not worse.

This incident threw my family for a loop. I have to seriously consider if I will restart commuting after I heal.
Knowing how stubborn I am, I expect eventually I will start riding to work again.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:06 AM   #2
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG DATA!!! NO! NO! NO!

Please let us know if you need anything, ANYTHING at all! I'm very sorry. I am very happy that your okay though. Your a tough cookie.

SO NEW BIKE RIGHT?? Start shopping
__________________
"RIDE FAST TAKE CHANCES!"

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:40 AM   #3
colorider
smorenivore
 
colorider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Littleton, CO
Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
That just sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal quickly.
colorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:53 AM   #4
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein
 
bmclaughlin807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Spokane
Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
Posts: 4,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OUCH!

Heal fast, and I'll see you out on the road in a while.
__________________
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
bmclaughlin807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:57 AM   #5
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure about the bike. At the very least it needs some repairs. I would prefer to keep it.

I think I am just about bruised everywhere but it could have been worse.

Too bad this weather is so nice out.

Thanks for the well wishes!
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 12:07 PM   #6
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,363
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Oh DataJunkie, that sucks! Glad you are ok-ish -- no head injury is a very good thing. Take care of yourself and don't make any decisions about your commute now. I was pretty freaked after I got hit, it took a while to feel normal in traffic again (well, near-normal) - so just take it slow and prepare to have some feelings about getting back on the bike.
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 12:57 PM   #7
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks valygrl. What happened with your hit? Did it take a long time to get comfortable again?

I think when I return I am going to pick up a mirror for commutes.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I was hit hard enough that my shoes unclipped and flew off my feet. That fact amuses me greatly. lol
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 01:03 PM   #8
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did the driver get a ticket?
__________________
"RIDE FAST TAKE CHANCES!"

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 01:51 PM   #9
seanoc
I like bikes
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Soma Rush, Brew Custom, KHSAlite, Flyte SRS-3
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry to hear Junkie, right by my house too. Give your self some time, but keep riding. It took me 10 years to come back to biking after i was hit.
seanoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 01:53 PM   #10
valygrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 8,363
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
Thanks valygrl. What happened with your hit? Did it take a long time to get comfortable again?

I think when I return I am going to pick up a mirror for commutes.

Oh and I forgot to mention that I was hit hard enough that my shoes unclipped and flew off my feet. That fact amuses me greatly. lol
Ugh. One of my shoes (Shimano SPD Sandal) stayed attached to the pedal, but the upper sheared halfway off the sole. I pretty much only had a head injury - everything else was very minor. The concussion was pretty bad, though, I was out for a while, and got helicoptered to the ER.

The mirror is a good thing. http://www.rei.com/product/736839 this one has great visibility, doesn't interfere with any hand position (although you do want gloves), and takes about 1 second to install/remove, with no permanent hardware.

It took me a while to be comfortable with any sort of traffic. I just felt scared for a few months. For a while, I just rode by myself, so that any weirdness I was feeling wasn't imposed on other people, and so I could have total control of my riding position on the street - with others sometimes I had to do things to keep with the group that i didn't want to do, like roll thru yellow lights. I still look behind me a lot more, and take evasive action very proactively. I use big arm waves to make sure people about to pull out of driveways/side streets see me. I try really hard not to ride next to cars when there are driveways - I'll sacrifice my momentum to keep out of the right-hook zone. I don't do the thing I was doing when I got hit, which was making a left turn across a big road, I stood in the middle two-way turn lane (the suicide lane, haha) waiting for the 2nd side of the road to clear). Also, when I got hit, I was wearing all black. I was riding a touring bike with panniers, so I would have thought I was visible - almost as big as a motorcycle! - but apparently not. SO I don't wear all black anymore.

I have always been a pretty cautious rider, now even more so. But I'm mostly settled down. I think it took about a year, for me.

Busy streets with lots of parking lots are the worst - sounds like you got caught by the classic 'right-hook' which is obviously one of the big hazards of that type of street. Maybe you could find a longer/safer way to work?

Anyway, take care of your injuries, you'll be back in the saddle soon. My reaction probably doesn't have anything to do with what you feel - just let yourself work through it and be patient with yourself and your family, who are traumatized too.

take care...
valygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 02:04 PM   #11
n_r_child
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver
Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Novara Strada '05, Redline Monocog 29er, Trek 930, Peugeot Iseran
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry for your injuries. Seems like this week is a bad week for riders (see Thoughts are with a possible fellow rider... ).

Take your time healing, physically as well as emotionally- when the time is right, you'll be back on the bike. My cousin suffered a life-changing concussion (no more contact sports) a few months back, and it is taking her a while to figure out her emotional well being when it comes to sports, even non-contact sports like kickball. But she's getting there, and isn't pushing herself- in the end, far healthier.
n_r_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 02:06 PM   #12
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valygrl View Post
Ugh. One of my shoes (Shimano SPD Sandal) stayed attached to the pedal, but the upper sheared halfway off the sole. I pretty much only had a head injury - everything else was very minor. The concussion was pretty bad, though, I was out for a while, and got helicoptered to the ER.

The mirror is a good thing. http://www.rei.com/product/736839 this one has great visibility, doesn't interfere with any hand position (although you do want gloves), and takes about 1 second to install/remove, with no permanent hardware.

It took me a while to be comfortable with any sort of traffic. I just felt scared for a few months. For a while, I just rode by myself, so that any weirdness I was feeling wasn't imposed on other people, and so I could have total control of my riding position on the street - with others sometimes I had to do things to keep with the group that i didn't want to do, like roll thru yellow lights. I still look behind me a lot more, and take evasive action very proactively. I use big arm waves to make sure people about to pull out of driveways/side streets see me. I try really hard not to ride next to cars when there are driveways - I'll sacrifice my momentum to keep out of the right-hook zone. I don't do the thing I was doing when I got hit, which was making a left turn across a big road, I stood in the middle two-way turn lane (the suicide lane, haha) waiting for the 2nd side of the road to clear). Also, when I got hit, I was wearing all black. I was riding a touring bike with panniers, so I would have thought I was visible - almost as big as a motorcycle! - but apparently not. SO I don't wear all black anymore.

I have always been a pretty cautious rider, now even more so. But I'm mostly settled down. I think it took about a year, for me.

Busy streets with lots of parking lots are the worst - sounds like you got caught by the classic 'right-hook' which is obviously one of the big hazards of that type of street. Maybe you could find a longer/safer way to work?

Anyway, take care of your injuries, you'll be back in the saddle soon. My reaction probably doesn't have anything to do with what you feel - just let yourself work through it and be patient with yourself and your family, who are traumatized too.

take care...


Unfortunately, that route is low traffic and at 28 miles each way it is already long. However, I may have an alternative to the east that does not pass a school.

Concussion? Yikes.

I am glad my head did not take a hit. However, the whole thing is still a blur.
I am waiting for the police report to shed some light with the witness statement. There was another rider behind me.
Thank you for the advice.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 04:16 PM   #13
Heyduke
assonfire
 
Heyduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs
Bikes:
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hate to hear this.

Heal quickly.

Thank goodness we detatch from our bikes without really thinking about it.
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 05:01 PM   #14
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly
Posts: 3,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, no! But like you mentioned, glad it wasn't your head. Hope you feel better as soon as possible. Your health is the most important thing here, but I have to admit that I'm curious about the police report.

Take care.
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 05:12 PM   #15
Aloyzius
Thawing Member
 
Aloyzius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Soma ES, Bianchi Eros, 85 Raleigh Marathon, and a couple clunkers
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is so *&%$@#& LAME! I hope you're feeling better soon. I almost got pegged the same way last sunday.
Aloyzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 08:04 PM   #16
Iowegian
Senior Member
 
Iowegian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boulder, Colo
Bikes:
Posts: 1,859
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Get well soon. Great advice here about getting back into things slowly and thinking of your family's reaction as well. You might never be as comfortable on a bike as before but if so, that will only make you more careful, cautious and therefore safer.

Be careful out there everyone.
Iowegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 08:17 PM   #17
Pwnt
( 8n(|) DOH!!
 
Pwnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver
Bikes: Scattante R670
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DJ = Pwned!

Just Kidding. I'm sorry that happened to you man! Let me know if you need anything. You know I'm here for you and I am just a stones throw away.
__________________
_____________________________________________

I love noodles.
Pwnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 08:24 PM   #18
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks kevin.

I'm actually doing well considering. However, I do not have any feeling in my left knee.
My arm is so so.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 11:25 PM   #19
funrover 
Senior Member
 
funrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics
Posts: 2,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope you recover fully, I am sorry to hear this. Get well!
funrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 06:37 AM   #20
Pwnt
( 8n(|) DOH!!
 
Pwnt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denver
Bikes: Scattante R670
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you can't feel it...whats the problem?
__________________
_____________________________________________

I love noodles.
Pwnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 07:45 AM   #21
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking nerve damage. Plus, the doctor at denver health said it would hurt like crazy after the meds they injected it with wore off. I don't really need feeling in my knee do I?
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 01:32 PM   #22
bvfrompc
Senior Member
 
bvfrompc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
said it would hurt like crazy after the meds they injected it with wore off
Dude, the key to overcoming this is to never let the meds wear off

Sorry to hear about the accident, but thank god it was nothing worse, heal fast.
bvfrompc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 02:35 PM   #23
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good news. It now hurts like a mother fer. Or is that bad news?
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 06:38 PM   #24
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly
Posts: 3,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
Good news. It now hurts like a mother fer. Or is that bad news?
Good, in that it means your nerves might be coming back
Bad, in that it hurts like a mother fer
Good, in that you get to legally take drugs

2 out of 3 ain't bad.
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 09:23 AM   #25
DataJunkie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 14,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
w00t!

Anyhow, the motorist that hit me is now being reported in the denver court database as having a charge of reckless driving for 4 points pending.
Now if I can ever get the police report.
DataJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 PM.