Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-08, 01:42 PM   #1
hos13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cheyenne, Wyoming

Can anybody here tell me what the job market is like for someone in IT/Telecom, in Cheyenne or the surrounding area. My wife and I are considering relocating to be near her family there.


Thanks
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 03:42 PM   #2
slickyricky
bouldertransplant
 
slickyricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boulder, co
Bikes: langster, assorted others
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to be honest with you. I just drove through Wyoming and no amount of money, I mean no amount, could convince me to move there. Its not worth it, don't do it. Aside from being heavily polluted, both in its ground/groundwater, its desolate, always windy, and the weather is insanely harsh.
slickyricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-08, 03:47 PM   #3
hos13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickyricky View Post
I am going to be honest with you. I just drove through Wyoming and no amount of money, I mean no amount, could convince me to move there. Its not worth it, don't do it. Aside from being heavily polluted, both in its ground/groundwater, its desolate, always windy, and the weather is insanely harsh.
ha ha, yeah I grew up on the front range in Colorado and used to go back packing in Wyoming quite a bit, Cheyenne is nice and windy. But my wife wants to care for her Grandparents which may require relocating there.

I don't remember it being polluted but perhaps things have changed.
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 12:21 PM   #4
iced_theater
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what Cheyenne is like, but I bet were less polluted than nearly any other state.
iced_theater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 12:26 PM   #5
tedshuck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Centennial, CO
Bikes: Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you thought about Fort Collins? I think you'd only have about a 45 minute drive to Cheyenne from there. Should be a better job market in Fort Collins for IT than in Cheyenne.
tedshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 03:16 PM   #6
hos13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
Have you thought about Fort Collins? I think you'd only have about a 45 minute drive to Cheyenne from there. Should be a better job market in Fort Collins for IT than in Cheyenne.
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking right now.

Thanks
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 03:34 PM   #7
dark13star
Mountain Goat
 
dark13star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
Posts: 2,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just heard on NPR that Denver has the 3rd fastest growing tech economy in the country. Bit of a haul from Cheyenne though. I am in the tech industry, but I work for an east-coast company. That is the best, because I work from home.
__________________
"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." Charles Olson
http://herodot.us
dark13star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 12:40 PM   #8
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickyricky View Post
I am going to be honest with you. I just drove through Wyoming and no amount of money, I mean no amount, could convince me to move there. Its not worth it, don't do it. Aside from being heavily polluted, both in its ground/groundwater, its desolate, always windy, and the weather is insanely harsh.
Some misinformation above.

Heavily polluted ground water? As a life long resident (3rd generation) and an environmental activist, I wonder where you got that info? I don't think that even the Powder River basin with all the coal bed methane wells has had much of a ground water pollution problem (yet). We do have the same problems as other areas with leakage from older gas station tanks and some old refinery problems; but compared on a per capita basis, no more so than other states - maybe less.

We do suffer some pollution from extractive industries that yield energy for consumption. I wish we could drive down consumption so there would be less pressure to drill and dig. But, alas, I don't see that in the future of Wyoming or anywhere else. Greatest impact is on air quality in the Pinedale area.

Parts of the state are what most people would call desolate, but others are not. Cheyenne is not too far from the Laramie Range and there are some really beautiful places up there. Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are places in the Red Desert that are wonderful too.

No doubt about it, Wyoming is windier than many places. But Cheyenne not all that much more than Boulder (according to NOAA average wind speed at Cheyenne airport is 12.4 mph and at Boulder/Jeffco it is 10.1 - compare those to Roseburg OR at 3.3 mph and you'll notice the difference). Cooler up here in the summer and colder in the winter than the Front Range.

All that being said, if Cheyenne is not for you that's okay. If you want to get away from the crowds along the Front Range, you are still welcome to come up and enjoy the wide open spaces of WY (and its attendant backwards political culture ).
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 09:43 PM   #9
hos13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
Some misinformation above.

Heavily polluted ground water? As a life long resident (3rd generation) and an environmental activist, I wonder where you got that info? I don't think that even the Powder River basin with all the coal bed methane wells has had much of a ground water pollution problem (yet). We do have the same problems as other areas with leakage from older gas station tanks and some old refinery problems; but compared on a per capita basis, no more so than other states - maybe less.

We do suffer some pollution from extractive industries that yield energy for consumption. I wish we could drive down consumption so there would be less pressure to drill and dig. But, alas, I don't see that in the future of Wyoming or anywhere else. Greatest impact is on air quality in the Pinedale area.

Parts of the state are what most people would call desolate, but others are not. Cheyenne is not too far from the Laramie Range and there are some really beautiful places up there. Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are places in the Red Desert that are wonderful too.

No doubt about it, Wyoming is windier than many places. But Cheyenne not all that much more than Boulder (according to NOAA average wind speed at Cheyenne airport is 12.4 mph and at Boulder/Jeffco it is 10.1 - compare those to Roseburg OR at 3.3 mph and you'll notice the difference). Cooler up here in the summer and colder in the winter than the Front Range.

All that being said, if Cheyenne is not for you that's okay. If you want to get away from the crowds along the Front Range, you are still welcome to come up and enjoy the wide open spaces of WY (and its attendant backwards political culture ).

Where is the Red Desert? I used backpacking around Laramie and ride 3 wheelers and quads at the sand dunes in Walden CO. I would love to live in Walden but there is even less work there me, but I could commute to Laramie. My friends dad use to teach botany there at the university, maybe I'll drop him a line
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 06:37 AM   #10
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hos13 View Post
Where is the Red Desert? I used backpacking around Laramie and ride 3 wheelers and quads at the sand dunes in Walden CO. I would love to live in Walden but there is even less work there me, but I could commute to Laramie. My friends dad use to teach botany there at the university, maybe I'll drop him a line
Red Desert is between Rawlins and Rock Springs (east and west). Heck of a winter commute from Walden to Laramie (60 miles one way - snowy most of the winter).
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 12:57 PM   #11
hos13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
Have you thought about Fort Collins? I think you'd only have about a 45 minute drive to Cheyenne from there. Should be a better job market in Fort Collins for IT than in Cheyenne.
Looking into Fort Collins I found this. Second best place to live Fort Collins, very interesting.

Can anyone tell me if The Wright Life is still open or not?

Last edited by hos13; 07-15-08 at 01:05 PM.
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 02:16 PM   #12
badhat
impressive member
 
badhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: fort collins
Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross
Posts: 2,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
whats wright life?

fort collins is great and very affordable.
badhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-08, 11:16 PM   #13
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 11,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
We lived in Fort Collins for a few years. I always liked going up into Wyoming. Yes it was windy. I didn't notice any pollution, saw that more down Denver way. It's neat seeing the pronghorn antelope. I liked watching the coal trains up at Gillette or watching the trains on Sherman Hill- saw the Ames Pyramid there, too. We came through Gillette on the way back from Rapid City, SD, and I think Gillette was the nice of the two. I would have liked to have spent more time up in the Wyoming mountains, but didn't get a chance to.

I think Fort Collins is farther than 45 minutes from Cheyenne, but could be remembering wrong. Check on housing in Wellington- close enough to drive into Fort Collins okay, but closer to Cheyenne, too.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-08, 08:37 AM   #14
hos13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hos13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 552 LATA
Bikes: 2007 Mercier Sperns (I'm a shill) and a 99 Diamondback Invert
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I'm getting one step closer to moving to Cheyenne/Fort Collins. I put my house on the market yesterday. So well will see how it goes, it may take a year to sell. I'm in no rush and I'm willing to wait to get the right price.
hos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 08:41 AM   #15
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
We lived in Fort Collins for a few years. I always liked going up into Wyoming. Yes it was windy. I didn't notice any pollution, saw that more down Denver way. It's neat seeing the pronghorn antelope. I liked watching the coal trains up at Gillette or watching the trains on Sherman Hill- saw the Ames Pyramid there, too. We came through Gillette on the way back from Rapid City, SD, and I think Gillette was the nice of the two. I would have liked to have spent more time up in the Wyoming mountains, but didn't get a chance to.

I think Fort Collins is farther than 45 minutes from Cheyenne, but could be remembering wrong. Check on housing in Wellington- close enough to drive into Fort Collins okay, but closer to Cheyenne, too.
Downtown to downtown 47 miles. Easy access to I-25 from both and is really only about 45 minutes.
You may be the only person in the world who thinks that Gillette is nicer than Rapid City.
Wellington is not too bad. Lots of growth in that area in the past few years (as will all of Larimier County). Plus you have Budweiser as a neighbor.
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 12:03 PM   #16
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio
 
Choke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: State of Jefferson
Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Hampsten, Losa, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin View Post
You may be the only person in the world who thinks that Gillette is nicer than Rapid City.
+1 The Black Hills is one of my favorite places in the country. I lived in Rapid for a while and it was a pretty nice place for a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhat View Post
fort collins is great and very affordable.
Affordable compared to what? California?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickyricky View Post
I am going to be honest with you. I just drove through Wyoming and no amount of money, I mean no amount, could convince me to move there. Its not worth it, don't do it. Aside from being heavily polluted, both in its ground/groundwater, its desolate, always windy, and the weather is insanely harsh.
There, fixed it for you.
Choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 02:12 PM   #17
RockyMtnMerlin
Senior Member
 
RockyMtnMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Laramie Wyoming
Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Posts: 2,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choke View Post
+1 The Black Hills is one of my favorite places in the country. I lived in Rapid for a while and it was a pretty nice place for a city.



Affordable compared to what? California?



There, fixed it for you.
__________________
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.