Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-09, 06:45 PM   #1
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
Thread Starter
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Logan Utah?

I'm considering a job in Logan Utah. Anyone know how bike friendly it is? It looks like there is mountain biking there. My current interests tend towards commuting and utility biking.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 06:56 PM   #2
raleighrx8
Senior Member
 
raleighrx8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SLC, Ut
Bikes: Raleigh Comp. RED, Haro Forum
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Summer time is great! The country's longest race starts there, LoToJa, 206 miles in 1 day. Winters suck though, it is Utah afterall!
raleighrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 09:44 PM   #3
JF1
Senior Member
 
JF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kaysville, Utah
Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say that Logan is pretty bike friendly. Whenever I go there I always see folks on bikes. Utah State Univ. is there so there are many bike to school commuters. A lot of Logan is rural though so many roads are kind of tight. There is a pretty large bike scene there. Sunrise Cyclery (www.sunrisecyclery.net) is a good bike shop out there that is really helpful and there is a club called the Cache Valley Veloists (www.cvveloists.org) that can get you more info on cycling in the area.
Like raleighrx8 mentioned, they do get a lot of snow.
JF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-09, 10:07 PM   #4
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
Thread Starter
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF1 View Post
Like raleighrx8 mentioned, they do get a lot of snow.
Lot of snow. Why am I not surprised?

Thanks.

Do you know what the water supply is like? Does it have enough to support growth or is it coming close to its limits? I guessed that most of the water comes from the snowpack in the hills around it.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 09:32 AM   #5
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese
 
Second Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Bikes: Panasonic DX 2000, LeMond Reno, Canondale Caad 8
Posts: 2,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Logan's a great, small town. The university helps with the atmosphere somewhat, but the valley is still very rural and the dominant culture (Mormon) is very pervasive.

There's a good bike scene there, and besides Lotoja, there's the Little Red Riding Hood (2600 riders) and the local MS 150 bike ride (should be 3000+ riders this year). Lots of sparsely traveled rural roads, very pretty place. While it can be kind of a redneck town, they're mostly friendly rednecks, nice folks.

I can't comment on the water situation but it's the desert, so water's always an issue. Proposals for damming local rivers is a perennial hot topic.
Second Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 02:05 PM   #6
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
Thread Starter
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Mouse View Post
Logan's a great, small town. The university helps with the atmosphere somewhat, but the valley is still very rural and the dominant culture (Mormon) is very pervasive.

There's a good bike scene there, and besides Lotoja, there's the Little Red Riding Hood (2600 riders) and the local MS 150 bike ride (should be 3000+ riders this year). Lots of sparsely traveled rural roads, very pretty place. While it can be kind of a redneck town, they're mostly friendly rednecks, nice folks.

I can't comment on the water situation but it's the desert, so water's always an issue. Proposals for damming local rivers is a perennial hot topic.
Thanks. With most of the west wrangling about Colorado River water, I want a place that is off of that and sustainable.
__________________
"He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 10:00 AM   #7
dark13star
Mountain Goat
 
dark13star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
Posts: 2,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
Thanks. With most of the west wrangling about Colorado River water, I want a place that is off of that and sustainable.
The real problems with the Colorado start downstream from there. Aridity is part of western life, but lots of people haven't realized that yet and insist on green lawns of Kentucky Bluegrass. It is nice to see people moving into the west and bringing the right attitude.

I hope your move works out.
__________________
"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." Charles Olson
http://herodot.us
dark13star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 11:05 AM   #8
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese
 
Second Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Bikes: Panasonic DX 2000, LeMond Reno, Canondale Caad 8
Posts: 2,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's an article in today's local paper about logan's economic atmosphere.
Second Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 03:29 PM   #9
breakaway9
Fred Wannabe
 
breakaway9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sandy, UT
Bikes: 2008 Rocky Mountain - Sherpa 30 ** 1990 Diamondback - Apex ** 199? Fixed Gear Frankenbike
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
Lot of snow. Why am I not surprised?

Thanks.

Do you know what the water supply is like? Does it have enough to support growth or is it coming close to its limits? I guessed that most of the water comes from the snowpack in the hills around it.
Water supply is mostly from snow pack. Logan is right in the Cache valley and considered to be some of the best farming soil/country in Utah. The valley is an interesting mix of agricultural/university people... it is beautiful in the summer and brutally cold and snowy in the winter. The record low temperature for the lower 48 was recorded near there... Lots of great fly fishing up there and tons of great rides also...
breakaway9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 09:59 AM   #10
TruF 
My other car is a bike
 
TruF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
Bikes: Specialized Ruby
Posts: 1,304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
I'm considering a job in Logan Utah. Anyone know how bike friendly it is? It looks like there is mountain biking there. My current interests tend towards commuting and utility biking.
Hey Artkansas,

Did you ever make the move? We are considering Logan, too.
__________________
Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.
TruF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.