Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 217
  1. #1
    takin' it to the streets malpag3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denv-arrrgghhh
    My Bikes
    1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Moving to Denver!

    Hey all,

    I'm very excited. My g/f has been given a great opportunity to pursue her PhD at CU Denver/Anschutz in Reproductive Sciences.

    I might also be pursuing my MA at U Denver and CU Denver.

    Anyway, I'm very excited to be moving to Denver from Detroit. I love cycling, climbing, and snowboarding. My two main bikes are road and a fixed/ss project build.

    So, what's the job market like? My professional experience has been in IT (Help Desk/Sys Admin), but I have a lot of bike shop experience (having worked at REI for a few years now). I'd be happy to forward a resume/CV to anyone who might be interested in helping.

    I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but I'm still geeked about it.

    Cheers!
    "Any Movement That Forgets About Class Is a Bowel Movement" ~ 1-speed bike (AKA Bottleskup Flenkenkenmike AKA Aidan Girt)

  2. #2
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How exciting! You'll love it. I relocated to Denver from the Midwest (Mpls, MN) myself this past fall. When are you making your move?

    I haven't gotten a good grip on what the industry is like out here- however, I work South of Denver in the Denver Tech Center (located in Greenwood Village, CO- kind of the downtown away from downtown), so keep this area on your map if you're looking for IT jobs.

    Good luck!
    i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
    Of all the treasures I have, itís the memories that are the most precious.

  3. #3
    takin' it to the streets malpag3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denv-arrrgghhh
    My Bikes
    1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're looking to move in late July.

    I'll check out the Tech Center. I would need an entry level Sys Admin type position, but I have a lot of experience.
    "Any Movement That Forgets About Class Is a Bowel Movement" ~ 1-speed bike (AKA Bottleskup Flenkenkenmike AKA Aidan Girt)

  4. #4
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard IT is tough, but there are plenty of bike shops plus REI's flagship store.

  5. #5
    Mountain Goat dark13star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon
    Posts
    2,244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. I came to Denver for my Ph.D. and never left. It is the best place I have ever lived.

    The job market here is better than most, but still tough. I work for an east-coast company from my house, running a division of product marketing. I know a lot of people in the tech industry, so PM me when you are closer to moving.

    Housing is going to be a lot higher than Detroit, so brace yourself. I guess that would be true of anywhere though.

    If your gf is going to be out at Anschutz (in Aurora), you may want to live on the east side of town. Commuting to the tech center can be hell, but there are IT jobs down there. I would look into IT jobs at Anschutz as well. The medical industry is hiring and they need IT too.
    "I would be an historian as Herodotus was." Charles Olson
    http://herodot.us

  6. #6
    takin' it to the streets malpag3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denv-arrrgghhh
    My Bikes
    1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for so many helpful responses! I'm not opposed to moving out there sooner ahead of the lady, so long as the opportunity is right.
    "Any Movement That Forgets About Class Is a Bowel Movement" ~ 1-speed bike (AKA Bottleskup Flenkenkenmike AKA Aidan Girt)

  7. #7
    Gilpin County Wheelman SKYLAB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rollinsville Colorado
    My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Posts
    814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IBM has a huge data center in boulder. Seems as if they are in layoff mode these days, but you never know. They still support a very large number of outsourced accounts from there. The tech center does indeed have a lot of jobs, under normal circumstances. Avaya has a facility in Arvada; they do quite a bit of IT. Best of luck with the move and the job search.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

  8. #8
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dark13star View Post
    Congratulations. I came to Denver for my Ph.D. and never left. It is the best place I have ever lived.

    The job market here is better than most, but still tough. I work for an east-coast company from my house, running a division of product marketing. I know a lot of people in the tech industry, so PM me when you are closer to moving.

    Housing is going to be a lot higher than Detroit, so brace yourself. I guess that would be true of anywhere though.

    If your gf is going to be out at Anschutz (in Aurora), you may want to live on the east side of town. Commuting to the tech center can be hell, but there are IT jobs down there. I would look into IT jobs at Anschutz as well. The medical industry is hiring and they need IT too.
    I live nearly in Aurora (Lowry) and work in the tech center. Commute isn't bad- all back roads, 10 miles, about 25 minutes. course, today it took 2 hours, 45 minutes to get home from work because it snowed a couple inches (and people out here can't drive in snow!!)
    i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
    Of all the treasures I have, itís the memories that are the most precious.

  9. #9
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    I live nearly in Aurora (Lowry) and work in the tech center. Commute isn't bad- all back roads, 10 miles, about 25 minutes. course, today it took 2 hours, 45 minutes to get home from work because it snowed a couple inches (and people out here can't drive in snow!!)
    It's only during the spring snows that they can't drive. I'm not sure why...

  10. #10
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    It's only during the spring snows that they can't drive. I'm not sure why...
    what a PITA. its not even that bad!
    i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
    Of all the treasures I have, itís the memories that are the most precious.

  11. #11
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    what a PITA. its not even that bad!
    I did put the truck in 4 wheel drive when I was out earlier this morning. You must have missed the crazy blizzard thing going on. That was fun.

  12. #12
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    How exciting! You'll love it. I relocated to Denver from the Midwest (Mpls, MN) myself this past fall. When are you making your move?

    I haven't gotten a good grip on what the industry is like out here- however, I work South of Denver in the Denver Tech Center (located in Greenwood Village, CO- kind of the downtown away from downtown), so keep this area on your map if you're looking for IT jobs.

    Good luck!
    That reminds me... why haven't we had lunch?

    I work less than a block from Arapaho light rail station...
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  13. #13
    takin' it to the streets malpag3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Denv-arrrgghhh
    My Bikes
    1999 Kona Kapu; late 70's/early 80's Araya road bike/commuter bike.
    Posts
    1,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, glad I could spark conversation. There's a light rail between Denver and Arapaho, like A-Basin?
    "Any Movement That Forgets About Class Is a Bowel Movement" ~ 1-speed bike (AKA Bottleskup Flenkenkenmike AKA Aidan Girt)

  14. #14
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Ac4AL w/Record
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
    I've heard IT is tough, but there are plenty of bike shops plus REI's flagship store.
    Denver's IT market is pretty good, check out http://rmiug.org for localized job postings, as well as monster, dice.com etc. My company is hiring, check out http://ecollege.com/Careers.learn --and we just happen to be looking for a Sys Admin I

  15. #15
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Ac4AL w/Record
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artifice View Post
    I live nearly in Aurora (Lowry) and work in the tech center. Commute isn't bad- all back roads, 10 miles, about 25 minutes. course, today it took 2 hours, 45 minutes to get home from work because it snowed a couple inches (and people out here can't drive in snow!!)
    Lowry to Highline Canal Trail to Cherry Creek Trail to the Res, then west to Union and past Cherry Creek HS and you're in the tech center. Used to be my bike commute when I lived at 23rd and Monaco (ish). You should try it!

    (and I just finished shoveling my driveway covered in a solid 8" of the white stuff. Gotta love March in Denver!)

  16. #16
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807 View Post
    That reminds me... why haven't we had lunch?

    I work less than a block from Arapaho light rail station...
    crap if I know, dex is in the same neighborhood. looks like its time to organize a bf lunch- or perhaps, post-work dtc ride (you know, when this snow melts!!)

    Quote Originally Posted by malpag3 View Post
    Haha, glad I could spark conversation. There's a light rail between Denver and Arapaho, like A-Basin?
    I wish!! nope, arapahoe station is just a LR station in the tech center.

    Quote Originally Posted by superdex View Post
    Denver's IT market is pretty good, check out http://rmiug.org for localized job postings, as well as monster, dice.com etc. My company is hiring, check out http://ecollege.com/Careers.learn --and we just happen to be looking for a Sys Admin I
    thats what I thought! but.. I didn't want to broadcast your company to peoples all over the web.
    i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
    Of all the treasures I have, itís the memories that are the most precious.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A certain BF poster (me) is located at the SW corner of Greenwood Plaza Blvd and Orchard.
    We could do laps in the Cherry Creek Park after work.
    It takes about 10-15 min to ride from where I work to the park. Then I can take the cherry creek trail to the platte to thornton.
    I really detest driving to work.

    Anyhow, hello to the OP.
    There are quite a few friendly riders here. I am more partial to the club mr mclaughlin introduced me to. A very nice group of people and I seem to spend most of my time on facebook bsing with them.

  18. #18
    superArti artifice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Minnersoter
    My Bikes
    2007 Fuji Professional 2.0, 2009 GTw Avalanche 2.0
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    A certain BF poster (me) is located at the SW corner of Greenwood Plaza Blvd and Orchard.
    We could do laps in the Cherry Creek Park after work.
    It takes about 10-15 min to ride from where I work to the park. Then I can take the cherry creek trail to the platte to thornton.
    I really detest driving to work.

    Anyhow, hello to the OP.
    There are quite a few friendly riders here. I am more partial to the club mr mclaughlin introduced me to. A very nice group of people and I seem to spend most of my time on facebook bsing with them.
    that's very nearly the corner I'm workin too... sure hope you aren't the person I waved the finger at the other day...

    I'd be game for a few laps.
    i woke up one morning and i stepped out of bed | had to get a bike, had to paint it red
    Of all the treasures I have, itís the memories that are the most precious.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the harlequin plaza BTW. The belco credit union building to be exact.
    No one has flipped me the bird lately but I tend to daydream quite a bit. lol

  20. #20
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid Denverites, always leavin' us Northern folk out of things... humph...

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be willing to make a trip up north for a group ride one of these days.
    Just don't be expecting a cute girl with pink hair. I'm a skinny bald white guy with shaved legs and a lycra fetish.

  22. #22
    staring at the mountains superdex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    1x9 mtb commuter, Blue Racing Ac4AL w/Record
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DataJunkie View Post
    I'd be willing to make a trip up north for a group ride one of these days.
    Just don't be expecting a cute girl with pink hair. I'm a skinny bald white guy with shaved legs and a lycra fetish.
    two outta three ain't bad

    I'm at Belleview/Monaco, and can get to Village Greens Park in just a few min (via Union). I can be coaxed into a lap or two around the res as well...

    UA, I'll head up north too, just gotta plan it, y'know?

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monaco St? I don't think monaco pkwy intersects belleview.
    If so I ride by your work each time I commute. Small world. lol

  24. #24
    Domestic Domestique UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll probably do a ride up Rist Canyon later this spring. You guys are welcome to join, but I'm slow and fat, so I won't be burning up the road...

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by malpag3 View Post
    Haha, glad I could spark conversation. There's a light rail between Denver and Arapaho, like A-Basin?
    No, sorry to say, that's some train station in the city they are talking about. To get to A-Basin you have to sit in a ridiculous traffic jam in your car. The key to Colorado skiing is weekdays. It's idiotic that there is no public transportation to ski. There's a "ski train" but it's like $50/each way and runs only once a day, to Winter Park (I think).

    I'm eating my heart out right now, looking at the biggest storm of the year, and I have a huge project to complete at work tomorrow. Otherwise I would be hitting the powderday tomorrow.

    ...

    p.s., this forum really does need a group ride, doesn't it!
    ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •