Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-05, 06:19 PM   #226
LordOpie
Senior Member
 
LordOpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We somehow had ~10mph headwind for 32 of our 35 miles, but it was a beautiful day nonetheless. We rode Hwy 105, waved to other riders, waved to llamas, spied a cow and horse talking to each other, yelled hello back to children playing, and nearly got clipped a few times by obnoxious motorists. Two mechanical problems limited our distance, but that's okay... my ride partner always makes it fun.
LordOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-05, 07:08 PM   #227
LordOpie
Senior Member
 
LordOpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I invited several friends who don't post here for a Monday night ride tomorrow night. If you'd like to get a spin in at the Cherry Creek Reservoir, join us! Start time ~5:30pm, ride for a couple of hours.

This ride will be more social/recovery-ride than anything else.
LordOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 12:34 AM   #228
Revenig
Senior Member
 
Revenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado area
Bikes:
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie
We somehow had ~10mph headwind for 32 of our 35 miles, but it was a beautiful day nonetheless. We rode Hwy 105, waved to other riders, waved to llamas, spied a cow and horse talking to each other, yelled hello back to children playing, and nearly got clipped a few times by obnoxious motorists. Two mechanical problems limited our distance, but that's okay... my ride partner always makes it fun.
Sounds as though you had a very eventful ride. I'm glad to hear that you kept your spirits up considering the headwind, mechanical problems and the idiot motorists.

Sorry I couldn't join you, but I was so upset that I couldn't ride on Saturday because of the miserable conditions. So I went out today and rode my third century of the month. Surprisingly, there were very few people out on the bike path, which helped me finished the ride in just under 6 hr and 25 minutes. I have a lot of work to do to bring that time down to my goal of 5 hr and 30 mins.
Revenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 07:01 AM   #229
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenig

So I went out today and rode my third century of the month. Surprisingly, there were very few people out on the bike path, which helped me finished the ride in just under 6 hr and 25 minutes. I have a lot of work to do to bring that time down to my goal of 5 hr and 30 mins.
Hey, Revenig - you are blowing me away with your "Century a Week" rate.

Keep it up and soon you will be riding long distances.

Ever thought of randonneuring?
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:28 AM   #230
MMPC
Big Man Riding...
 
MMPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Westminster, CO
Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie
I invited several friends who don't post here for a Monday night ride tomorrow night. If you'd like to get a spin in at the Cherry Creek Reservoir, join us! Start time ~5:30pm, ride for a couple of hours.
Hey, I post here! Well, okay, not as frequently as others. Anyway, I'm in for the ride tonight! Looking forward to it...
MMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 01:00 PM   #231
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great, looking forward to meeting ya.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 03:05 AM   #232
Revenig
Senior Member
 
Revenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado area
Bikes:
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey, Revenig - you are blowing me away with your "Century a Week" rate.

Keep it up and soon you will be riding long distances.

Ever thought of randonneuring?
Thanks for noticing. 100 miles is as far as I can go without feeling any pain the next day. If I keep riding like this the rest of the year, I might think about randonneuring next year.
Revenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:37 AM   #233
MMPC
Big Man Riding...
 
MMPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Westminster, CO
Bikes: '07 Fuji Roubaix RC, '04 Kona Hoss, '95 Cannondale RT2000 Tandem
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had a great ride yesterday with LordOpie and snowy - thanks guys! It felt good to get some miles in at a bit faster pace and the weather couldn't have been better. Great sunset too...
MMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:47 AM   #234
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HA HA HA.. MMPC I was telling LordOpie if your girl keeps riding with you she is going to be one fast chic. When we were riding I was telling myself hey this is suppose to be a recovery ride. Great meeting ya and please join us anytime. We are going to be all the time when the weather is nice. This weekend looks great!!! Oh yes your girl is totally invited too.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 12:30 PM   #235
LordOpie
Senior Member
 
LordOpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^ smiles all around ^


ISO: long stretches of relatively flat (<3%), relatively traffic free roads where I don't have to think so darn much about where I am or what's going on and can log 50+miles.

I bet I have to go east for that, eh? Any suggestions?
LordOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 02:53 PM   #236
TheAnalogKid
Now with tartar control..
 
TheAnalogKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not necessarily in the Denver area, but a bomb was found along the city bike path here in Loveland... who knew biking could be dangerous on a bike path!
I will enter the "war zone" later after work, pray for me, guys.

Yes I am a noob, and you probably dont know me as I am mainly a lurker.
TheAnalogKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 03:13 PM   #237
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yikes. Be careful. So what happened to the Bomb??
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 03:49 PM   #238
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie
^ smiles all around ^


ISO: long stretches of relatively flat (<3%), relatively traffic free roads where I don't have to think so darn much about where I am or what's going on and can log 50+miles.

I bet I have to go east for that, eh? Any suggestions?
Colfax and Tower (CDOT parking lot) east to Bennett and/or Strasburg on old US 36 and return.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 04:06 PM   #239
LordOpie
Senior Member
 
LordOpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
old 36 doesn't get much traffic? I think you found me a winner. Thanks Fox!
LordOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 04:10 PM   #240
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie
old 36 doesn't get much traffic? I think you found me a winner. Thanks Fox!
Well, it has been some time since I rode it, and things may have changed.

But, I know some guys on BikeJournal.com who did a century just last month using that route. Want me to put you in contact with them?

But it is pretty flat, and most of the traffic is on I-70.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 04:13 PM   #241
LordOpie
Senior Member
 
LordOpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Want me to put you in contact with them?
thanks, nah.

I'm just gonna ride it and find out. Maybe pre-ride it on my scooter.
LordOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 05:04 PM   #242
TheAnalogKid
Now with tartar control..
 
TheAnalogKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy
Yikes. Be careful. So what happened to the Bomb??
The bomb was found by a guy walking the trail. It had a chemical incindiary (sp?) devise, and was disguised in a Doritos bag. (There is a small article in the Rocky today).
The police brought in a robot to destroy it, but after this was known, another bomb was reported that was discovered earlier.

I think I am staying away from the trash on the trail after work today.
TheAnalogKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 09:29 PM   #243
Revenig
Senior Member
 
Revenig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Denver, Colorado area
Bikes:
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Colfax and Tower (CDOT parking lot) east to Bennett and/or Strasburg on old US 36 and return.
I'm not familiar with that area at all. When I look at it on the map, it looks as though you would start at Colfax and Tower, go north on Tower and take a right at Smith Rd (which appears to be old US 36). Is that correct? Also, is there any shoulder on old US 36?
Revenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 10:18 PM   #244
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist
 
Shifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Road, touring and mountain
Posts: 3,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy
Yikes. Be careful. So what happened to the Bomb??
It's a balm, It's a balm!!
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 11:04 PM   #245
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shifty you crack me up.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 11:20 PM   #246
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenig
I'm not familiar with that area at all. When I look at it on the map, it looks as though you would start at Colfax and Tower, go north on Tower and take a right at Smith Rd (which appears to be old US 36). Is that correct? Also, is there any shoulder on old US 36?
As I remember it - been a long time - you just go east on Colfax and I-70 frontage roads which join US 36.

I just don't remember any problems with traffic, but this was a weekend morning. I went with the Rocky Mountain Cycling Club.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 02:39 PM   #247
TheAnalogKid
Now with tartar control..
 
TheAnalogKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had a great quick ride (10 miles) at lunch today. I did it in an hour... Yes I know, that is slow. But I am trying to get back into biking and I was also riding a MTB w/ beefy tires on a paved trail.
Sorry, just excited about my ride, and I thought I would share it with Front Rangers that would understand.

This ride did solidify the need for a road bike... anyone want to let one off cheap?
I think I would be a size 58... I can fix one up if needed... I live an hour north fo Denver....

Just fishin'... but any help would be good.
TheAnalogKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 02:42 PM   #248
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid
Had a great quick ride (10 miles) at lunch today. I did it in an hour... Yes I know, that is slow. But I am trying to get back into biking and I was also riding a MTB w/ beefy tires on a paved trail.
Sorry, just excited about my ride, and I thought I would share it with Front Rangers that would understand.

This ride did solidify the need for a road bike... anyone want to let one off cheap?
I think I would be a size 58... I can fix one up if needed... I live an hour north fo Denver....

Just fishin'... but any help would be good.
If you are fishin' and riding, you are a two-sport fellow at the same time!

Good for you, getting your ride in at lunch time.

We have a whole group of folks who ride their bikes up Waterton Canyon (local trail on the Platte River) with a fishin' pole attached. It is about 6.5 miles one way. Great little trip.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 02:50 PM   #249
LordOpie
Senior Member
 
LordOpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid
Had a great quick ride (10 miles) at lunch today. I did it in an hour... Yes I know, that is slow. But I am trying to get back into biking and I was also riding a MTB w/ beefy tires on a paved trail.
Sorry, just excited about my ride, and I thought I would share it with Front Rangers that would understand.
Outstanding! I'm jealous since I won't be riding
LordOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-05, 02:51 PM   #250
TheAnalogKid
Now with tartar control..
 
TheAnalogKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Northern Colorado
Bikes:
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
If you are fishin' and riding, you are a two-sport fellow at the same time!

Good for you, getting your ride in at lunch time.

We have a whole group of folks who ride their bikes up Waterton Canyon (local trail on the Platte River) with a fishin' pole attached. It is about 6.5 miles one way. Great little trip.

Didn't mean to mislead, but I was fishin' for info on a cheap bike. Sorry I guess I took a common term used in our office into the forums.

I did think about fishing while riding, my lunch route was the City of Loveland trail into Boyd Lake State park. (complete with headwinds in every direction... ) but it was good.

How is the 470 trail? I haven't biked that in years. I grew up just north of it and used to go all the time.
TheAnalogKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 AM.