Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Chatfield Area to Castle Rock?

    What is the best way via bike? I have found a few routes but it seems the quickest for commute has me on highway 85 for a long part of it. There are some stretches of that road I'd prefer to stay away from.

    Any ideas?

    Right now my plan is Titan Road to 85. In Loivers hop on the Frontage Road to Sedalia. Then back on 85 to Castle Rock.

  2. #2
    mje
    mje is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highlands Ranch
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Cannondale RT3000
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatives will add a lot of time, such as over Monarch/Daniel's Park or south on 105 to Wolfensberger. You probably have the optimal route now. When they build out the subdivision along Roxborough Park Rd south of Titan, then there might be better options for more of the northern section.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Breathegood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    My Bikes
    '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its a long way around, but you can take the 470 trail east from Chatfield to the cherry creek trail, then head south to Stroh road, cross over to crowfoot, and follow that south to castle rock. Its a long way around, but it is more pleasant than highway 85.
    1991 Trek 8700 - SS conversion - 'round towner
    2009 Gary Fisher "Kaitai" - heavy commuter
    2009 Raleigh Team - fast & light
    2012 Raleigh Twin Six - Belt drive, IGH, CX
    1993 Scott Santa Fe - dedicated basement trainer

  4. #4
    Trail Sanitizer Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Starship
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could go north into Highlands Ranch and then back south through Daniels Park via Grigs Rd. However, Grigs is unpaved in sections. The other choice is over Monarch Blvd. You need to decided if you want the fastest route (probably Hwy 85) or a combination of safe and fast (via HR?).

  5. #5
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want safe, but I need quick. I want the safest quick route. Sounds like 85/frontage road is it.

  6. #6
    Back in the saddle r.shoemaker78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado
    My Bikes
    2008 Cervelo Soloist AL, 2004 Jamis Ventura Sport, 2010 Giant Revel 1 MTB
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You couldn't pay me to roll down Hwy 85 for more than a mile. I did a section on it once and will never do that again. I work right near Hway 85 and C470. I ride the bike path to Yosemite, take that till it turns into Trail Ridge road, then take Chambers to Hess, then take Motsenbauker (sp) till it turns into Crow Foot and ride that to Castle Rock. Much nicer route and I've never felt like my life was in jeopardy.
    '08 Cervelo Soloist - SRAM Rival

  7. #7
    Senior Member bossco11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r.shoemaker78 View Post
    You couldn't pay me to roll down Hwy 85 for more than a mile. I did a section on it once and will never do that again. I work right near Hway 85 and C470. I ride the bike path to Yosemite, take that till it turns into Trail Ridge road, then take Chambers to Hess, then take Motsenbauker (sp) till it turns into Crow Foot and ride that to Castle Rock. Much nicer route and I've never felt like my life was in jeopardy.
    Is Yosemite north to Cherry Creek a safe ride?

  8. #8
    Trail Sanitizer Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Starship
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bossco11 View Post
    Is Yosemite north to Cherry Creek a safe ride?
    Starting where? Between Arapahoe and Orchard, Yosemite gets narrow and busy. There isn't much room for a bike and it is a busy street, especially during the week. North of Orchard it becomes DTC Blvd and gets a little wider but still very busy during the week. There are better choices, IMO.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bossco11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    Starting where? Between Arapahoe and Orchard, Yosemite gets narrow and busy. There isn't much room for a bike and it is a busy street, especially during the week. North of Orchard it becomes DTC Blvd and gets a little wider but still very busy during the week. There are better choices, IMO.
    From the C-470 trail. I want to ride it east then go north and pick up Cherry Creek at the park. I'm not sure I want to ride east of Centennial to pick up CC there. Is there a good street route from C-470 north?

  10. #10
    Trail Sanitizer Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Starship
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bossco11 View Post
    From the C-470 trail. I want to ride it east then go north and pick up Cherry Creek at the park. I'm not sure I want to ride east of Centennial to pick up CC there. Is there a good street route from C-470 north?
    I preferred Holly when heading north from the C470 path. There's a dirt path that diverts off of the 470 trail right at Davidson's Liquor (old boat store can be seen from the trail). Take that path and get on Holly. I would take Holly to Belleview and then north again on Monaco, right on Union and that will take you over to the CC dam entrance to the park. The area around Holly/Belleview is sketchy traffic-wise but you can meander further east through the neighborhood there and come out almost at Union.
    Last edited by Bulldozer; 07-18-12 at 03:15 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member bossco11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    I preferred Holly when heading north from the C470 path. There's a dirt path that diverts off of the 470 trail right at Davidson's Liquor (old boat store can be seen from the trail). Take that path and get on Holly. I would take Holly to Belleview and then north again on Monaco, right on Union and that will take you over to the CC dam entrance to the park. The area around Holly/Belleview is sketchy traffic-wise but you can meander further east through the neighborhood there and come out almost at Union.
    Ok,
    I will give that a shot. The past years that I have came down and rode I started from over by Bow Mar and just took Quincy east (with some deviations) to the Park Entrance. This year I'm starting over by Chatfield.
    Thanks Bulldozer...

  12. #12
    Senior Member funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    My Bikes
    Mostly schwinn... few classics
    Posts
    2,278
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r.shoemaker78 View Post
    You couldn't pay me to roll down Hwy 85 for more than a mile. I did a section on it once and will never do that again. I work right near Hway 85 and C470. I ride the bike path to Yosemite, take that till it turns into Trail Ridge road, then take Chambers to Hess, then take Motsenbauker (sp) till it turns into Crow Foot and ride that to Castle Rock. Much nicer route and I've never felt like my life was in jeopardy.
    Wow!! That is a large loop. But I will look into it!

  13. #13
    Senior Member bossco11's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    My Bikes
    Trek 3900
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
    I preferred Holly when heading north from the C470 path. There's a dirt path that diverts off of the 470 trail right at Davidson's Liquor (old boat store can be seen from the trail). Take that path and get on Holly. I would take Holly to Belleview and then north again on Monaco, right on Union and that will take you over to the CC dam entrance to the park. The area around Holly/Belleview is sketchy traffic-wise but you can meander further east through the neighborhood there and come out almost at Union.
    I did my ride Saturday. I used the route that Bulldozer recommended. It worked great. Holly was a bit hilly, but nothing I couldn't manage. I rode it with a friend that lives in Denver. He's lived there all his life and never rode either Cherry Creek or South Platte.
    We left from the Highland Ranch area, took C-470 east then north to Cherry Creek, then south on the South Platte. We finally ran out of gas at the Platte River Grill....I recommend running out of gas there, it was cool inside and the food is good.
    Thanks for the advice Bulldozer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •