Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

News & Announcements Recall Announcements
Get up to date News about the BikeForums Community here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-08, 06:24 PM   #1
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
Thread Starter
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NEw Feature - Multi-Quote

Multi-quote is a new feature which allows you to quote multiple sources and then "reply with quote"

Check the box of the post(s) you wish to quote. Select reply with quote and all those quoted will be in the response.

This obviously doesn't work with quick reply, but will help with long posts and threads.

cheers

Maelstrom
Admin
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 06:47 PM   #2
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hurrah! Bless you!!!!

I've been dying for this feature to get added .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 07:02 PM   #3
bdcheung
Carpe Diem
 
bdcheung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MABRA
Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1
Posts: 13,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
Multi-quote is a new feature which allows you to quote multiple sources and then "reply with quote"

Check the box of the post(s) you wish to quote. Select reply with quote and all those quoted will be in the response.

This obviously doesn't work with quick reply, but will help with long posts and threads.

cheers

Maelstrom
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Hurrah! Bless you!!!!

I've been dying for this feature to get added .

East Hill
Y'all suck. I've been copying and pasting quote-code for over a year!
__________________
"When you are chewing the bars at the business end of a 90 mile road race you really dont care what gear you have hanging from your bike so long as it works."
ΛΧΑ ΔΞ179 - 15% off your first Hammer Nutrition order!
bdcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 09:21 PM   #4
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
Thread Starter
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
haha its a good feature for sure, it was left off for aesthetic reasons. A lot of work went into making it work and look good
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 09:26 PM   #5
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Bikes: 2014 Surly Steamroller, 1989 Nishiki Altron
Posts: 19,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
Multi-quote is a new feature which allows you to quote multiple sources and then "reply with quote"

Check the box of the post(s) you wish to quote. Select reply with quote and all those quoted will be in the response.

This obviously doesn't work with quick reply, but will help with long posts and threads.

cheers

Maelstrom
Admin
Ok, I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Hurrah! Bless you!!!!

I've been dying for this feature to get added .

East Hill
Yep about time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
Y'all suck. I've been copying and pasting quote-code for over a year!
I've been doing it for close to 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
haha its a good feature for sure, it was left off for aesthetic reasons. A lot of work went into making it work and look good
And it works good.
__________________
Signature.
Dannihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 10:48 PM   #6
Catweazle
Senior Member
 
Catweazle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sale, Victoria, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
Check the box of the post(s) you wish to quote. Select reply with quote and all those quoted will be in the response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
- snip -

Test post, made to check and verify something I was wondering about.



People don't need to select 'Reply with quote'. I just then made this post using the 'Reply' button/thingy instead. The only 'Reply' option it doesn't work with is Quick Reply. You can't, for example, check posts for quoting and then go straight to the post editor via the 'Go advanced' button under quick reply because that goes via Quick reply and thus doesn't format the selected posts.

Once people have checked the boxes for the posts they want to quote, they can then click on any of the 'Reply with quote' or 'Reply' links which appear anywhere in the thread. Any of them will produce a post editing box with the selected posts already formatted for quoting. So would the general 'Reply' button if it was made available on this board.


That's the thing, of course. The only 'Reply to thread' option we have available here is Quick Reply. The 'Reply with quote' and 'Reply' links we see under each post are really 'Reply to post' linkys rather than 'Reply to thread' linkys. They're useful if people use 'threaded' viewing mode to follow forum threads, but most people don't and the forum default is for 'Linear' viewing mode anyways.


Doesn't matter, of course, and for the purposes of using this feature people can simnply check the box for all the posts they want to quote and then click whatever 'reply' button is closest to the mouse pointer, for ease of use. No need to go hunting for the 'right one', if anyone was worrying that there was such a thing
Catweazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 10:51 PM   #7
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder
 
Joe Gardner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Utah.
Bikes:
Posts: 4,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well done!
Joe Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 11:51 PM   #8
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
Thread Starter
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gardner View Post
Well done!
Long time Joe! ...at least it isn't that horrible default pic anymore haha
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 10:28 AM   #9
monogodo
NFL Owner
 
monogodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Irving Heritage District
Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
Test post, made to check and verify something I was wondering about.



People don't need to select 'Reply with quote'. I just then made this post using the 'Reply' button/thingy instead. The only 'Reply' option it doesn't work with is Quick Reply. You can't, for example, check posts for quoting and then go straight to the post editor via the 'Go advanced' button under quick reply because that goes via Quick reply and thus doesn't format the selected posts.

Once people have checked the boxes for the posts they want to quote, they can then click on any of the 'Reply with quote' or 'Reply' links which appear anywhere in the thread. Any of them will produce a post editing box with the selected posts already formatted for quoting. So would the general 'Reply' button if it was made available on this board.


That's the thing, of course. The only 'Reply to thread' option we have available here is Quick Reply. The 'Reply with quote' and 'Reply' links we see under each post are really 'Reply to post' linkys rather than 'Reply to thread' linkys. They're useful if people use 'threaded' viewing mode to follow forum threads, but most people don't and the forum default is for 'Linear' viewing mode anyways.


Doesn't matter, of course, and for the purposes of using this feature people can simnply check the box for all the posts they want to quote and then click whatever 'reply' button is closest to the mouse pointer, for ease of use. No need to go hunting for the 'right one', if anyone was worrying that there was such a thing
Actually, the red "Reply" link is a Reply to Thread option. When I replied to this post, I checked the two posts I wished to quote, then clicked on the Reply link on the last thread of the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
haha its a good feature for sure, it was left off for aesthetic reasons. A lot of work went into making it work and look good
Another cool feature of the Multi-Quote is that it formats them in the order that you check them. So if you check a post, then scroll up to an earlier post and check it, the earlier post will appear after the later post in the quote listing.
monogodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 11:32 AM   #10
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yee haw, I like it!
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 01:05 AM   #11
Catweazle
Senior Member
 
Catweazle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sale, Victoria, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monogodo View Post
Actually, the red "Reply" link is a Reply to Thread option. When I replied to this post, I checked the two posts I wished to quote, then clicked on the Reply link on the last thread of the post.
I stand corrected

I only mentioned it, of course, for the benefit of those people who would be trying the feature out, and marking posts for quoting as they read through a thread. I've been around forums long enough to well know that there'd be more than a handful of people would read the above, get to the end of the thread they're reading, and then think they need to scroll back to the 'right post' to click on a reply linky.

heh heh....
Catweazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 04:27 PM   #12
Richard_Rides
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
I stand corrected

I only mentioned it, of course, for the benefit of those people who would be trying the feature out, and marking posts for quoting as they read through a thread. I've been around forums long enough to well know that there'd be more than a handful of people would read the above, get to the end of the thread they're reading, and then think they need to scroll back to the 'right post' to click on a reply linky.

heh heh....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
Multi-quote is a new feature which allows you to quote multiple sources and then "reply with quote"

Check the box of the post(s) you wish to quote. Select reply with quote and all those quoted will be in the response.

This obviously doesn't work with quick reply, but will help with long posts and threads.

cheers

Maelstrom
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
Hurrah! Bless you!!!!

I've been dying for this feature to get added .

East Hill
Oh, cool! It works!
Richard_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 PM.