Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

News & Announcements Recall Announcements
Get up to date News about the BikeForums Community here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-08, 10:35 AM   #1
Richard_Rides
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why was the forum down?

Evening of June 16 to Morning of June 17. Looked like a DoS attack...
Richard_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 11:19 AM   #2
mstrpete
Big Doofus
 
mstrpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cascadia
Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Rides View Post
...Looked like a DoS attack...
If that means "I couldn't get to the site for love or money", then yeah that. What happened?
mstrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 11:49 AM   #3
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Update from Internet Brands - 6/16/08

It appears that the Internet Brands servers have been having technical difficulties for the last several days/weeks. While I don't have a lot of details, I suspect what ever was being kinda flaky, finally up and just gave up the ole ghost. Somehow we go though a lot of server hardware, can't quite figure that one out being a software developer myself, but haven't seen the guts of the forum software nor database to see just how much of a pounding it puts on the hardware either.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 12:39 PM   #4
Roody
Sophomoric Member
 
Roody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dancing in Lansing
Bikes:
Posts: 23,530
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Well, they evidently had stuff backed up pretty well. I don't see any problems on it right now.
__________________

"Think Outside the Cage"
Roody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 12:48 PM   #5
Richard_Rides
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of their machines, a router or a firewall was sending TCP resets back down against incoming traffic. This is countermeasure against TCP SYN floods and other resource swamping attacks. There was quite a war being waged, it was DEFINITELY NOT a situation where a device simply failed. I don't know the network topology, but I'd guess that BikeForums was under attack and the upstream bandwidth provider was defending.
Richard_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 07:41 PM   #6
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes:
Posts: 3,468
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda2k View Post
Update from Internet Brands - 6/16/08

It appears that the Internet Brands servers have been having technical difficulties for the last several days/weeks. While I don't have a lot of details, I suspect what ever was being kinda flaky, finally up and just gave up the ole ghost. Somehow we go though a lot of server hardware, can't quite figure that one out being a software developer myself, but haven't seen the guts of the forum software nor database to see just how much of a pounding it puts on the hardware either.
I think an honest answer may be dealing with the fact these forums have well beyond 3x the membership of another very popular forums site known for *some* pains early on, Audiokarma.org.

We seem to have been a bit better handled than they were in those early days--I was there and know.
__________________
Dear banned sock puppets...stop taking all the potential great ID names from future newbies?
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 07:51 PM   #7
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes:
Posts: 3,468
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Rides View Post
One of their machines, a router or a firewall was sending TCP resets back down against incoming traffic. This is countermeasure against TCP SYN floods and other resource swamping attacks. There was quite a war being waged, it was DEFINITELY NOT a situation where a device simply failed. I don't know the network topology, but I'd guess that BikeForums was under attack and the upstream bandwidth provider was defending.
Thank you for the the interesting information, Richard, and it does make sense to me. I suspect without making any stabs at it, that IB may have a large media contract or two and that the BF servers were a collateral hit in an attack on that other account.

If you want to investigate James Bond may have to shake you and stir
__________________
Dear banned sock puppets...stop taking all the potential great ID names from future newbies?
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 01:56 AM   #8
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Bikes:
Posts: 3,468
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollfast View Post
Thank you for the the interesting information, Richard, and it does make sense to me. I suspect without making any stabs at it, that IB may have a large media contract or two and that the BF servers were a collateral hit in an attack on that other account.

If you want to investigate James Bond may have to shake you and stir
I need to update and clarify that I know TWO companies referred to by the letters 'IB' and I have discovered THIS ONE isn't that one.

That one is still in a lot of hot water for employees leaking Tim Russert's death news before the family could be notified, but WE hardly have those problems!

For what that was worth?
__________________
Dear banned sock puppets...stop taking all the potential great ID names from future newbies?
Rollfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.