Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   News & Announcements (http://www.bikeforums.net/news-announcements/)
-   -   The OK, I need current updates on any issues you have on the forums software Thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/news-announcements/609012-ok-i-need-current-updates-any-issues-you-have-forums-software-thread.html)

Red Rider 12-20-09 10:51 PM

I use Firefox. I don't understand why I'm logged out after <20 min. of inactivity. It's unnecessary and highly annoying. Can it be fixed?

Machka 12-21-09 03:07 AM

I sympathize. The same thing is happening to us. This is the only forum I've encountered that logs you out when you're in the middle of looking at something or posting something. I have good days and bad days here. Just when this new forum format seems to start working better, there's an announcement that some new improvement has been installed which should solve all our problems ... and it gets worse. I've lost track of the number of times in the last two or three days I've had to refresh in order to see a thread or subforum because it just hangs on me. Maddening. I've started posting a bit more elsewhere.

Rollfast 12-21-09 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowan (Post 10169168)
Funny Rollfast, as Machka points out I haven't had television access for quite a long time.

Wow, because I can even find a certain model I used previously if I am lucky. I built my own antenna network and I have DVD, Laserdisc, VHS and even two busted Betas. I also have THREE CRT projectors, two Zeniths and a Sony. I have 5.1 in the form of a Yamaha Pro Logic decoder driving classic stereos and a 2001 Onkyo DVD receiver I got for a few dollars at the local auction and repaired.

I have TVs with tubes and not just the CRT.

What do I watch? Mostly PBS, news and sports.

Back to the topic...we have the buttons appearing and disappearing in the quick reply box.

I will attempt to post a picture again using IE SEVEN later.

2592 12-21-09 08:42 AM

Wow, I can get on at work again! Thanks, good to be back.

DMF 12-21-09 10:43 AM

Got Last Post buttons and they work.

But what is so bloody difficult about fixing the tiny tiny edit box font?

mikewille 12-21-09 12:27 PM

I get this when i click on an attached photo link in a post:
Bike Forums Message

mikewille, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Google, this page is about bicycles, bikes, cycling, road bikes, mountain bikes and other types of bicycles.

Tom Stormcrowe 12-21-09 04:31 PM

Was this in a specific subforum, or on more than one? Feel free to PM me, as well as a followup, as I'm getting ready for the holidays and am trying to keep a whole bunch of balls in the air.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikewille (Post 10173594)
I get this when i click on an attached photo link in a post:
Bike Forums Message

mikewille, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Google, this page is about bicycles, bikes, cycling, road bikes, mountain bikes and other types of bicycles.


Rollfast 12-21-09 10:27 PM

I've been getting the IE cannot open the page, page aborted...but for a few sites, not just BF...IE7

mikewille 12-22-09 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe (Post 10174537)
Was this in a specific subforum, or on more than one? Feel free to PM me, as well as a followup, as I'm getting ready for the holidays and am trying to keep a whole bunch of balls in the air.

The link you provided straightened out the weird unusable reply page rendering,
and I can now actually see image thumnails and click to view them larger, thanks.

DMF 12-22-09 01:43 PM

Site seems a little sluggish today.

DMF 12-22-09 06:27 PM

Last Post buttons are present on the forum list but not in the Thread Lists.


This is an odd one: I visited earlier this afternoon, then came back about 10 minutes ago. At first the New Posts links to me to the newest posts in a thread, but shortly thereafter they started taking me to posts that would have been new when I visited earlier today. Like it's using the wrong cookie or something.


Site is still sluggish, with <1000 users online.

Rollfast 12-23-09 08:34 PM

I don't have any issues other than I saw it's Tom Stormcrowe's BIRTHDAY and he's ageless? Oh, wait...not a typo, he actually is.

High Fist Shin 12-24-09 08:37 AM

Overlapping and formatting issue on iSpy page, IE8 and Vista.

EDIT: I confimed that this issue is present on WinXP with IE7 too.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...verdv/ispy.jpg


-Shin

DMF 12-28-09 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 10178947)
This is an odd one: I visited earlier this afternoon, then came back about 10 minutes ago. At first the New Posts links to me to the newest posts in a thread, but shortly thereafter they started taking me to posts that would have been new when I visited earlier today. Like it's using the wrong cookie or something.

Same thing today. This time I navigated to the new forum using the Quick Nav control. It displays the threads with new posts correctly (highlighted) according to the actual time I was last on, but when opening the thread it goes to an earlier post.

I can't remember if the earlier occurrence was related to use of Quick Nav, but I'll watch out for it now.

dwilbur3 12-29-09 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMF (Post 10196822)
Same thing today. This time I navigated to the new forum using the Quick Nav control. It displays the threads with new posts correctly (highlighted) according to the actual time I was last on, but when opening the thread it goes to an earlier post.

I can't remember if the earlier occurrence was related to use of Quick Nav, but I'll watch out for it now.

It's doing that to me too. In addition, it doesn't mark a thread "read" after that happens. You can mark it read by marking the whole forum read, but when you come back to it, it won't take you to then newest post but the post it took you to last time. VERY ANNOYING! Quick Nav or back arrow or clicking the forum name at the top of the page doesn't matter, it still doesn't work right.

(Firefox, latest update)

DMF 12-29-09 02:30 PM

Search is partially fubar:

When I search from the Search Forum box above the thread list or a Show All Posts user page, it works fine. But when I search from the Advanced Search page, I get this:

Fatal error: Call to a member function allow_icons() on a non-object in /var/www/public_html/vb/legacy/thread.php on line 176

This has been happening since Day One, according to the complaints I've seen. Surely this is easy to find and fix.

The stupid "30 seconds between searches" rule makes this 10 times worse since it throws you into Advanced Search whenever violated.

AEO 01-06-10 06:55 PM

did the text size change?

Tom Stormcrowe 01-06-10 07:23 PM

Yes, a bit. Edit box text is larger. If you're getting a page render with all the drop menus open, it's been reported, and we're working on it now. A little fine tuning on the upgrade this evening is in order, it seems.

no1mad 01-06-10 07:51 PM

Not really an issue, but an observation. When I visited Foo, it displayed 53 thread titles on the first page. Usually there is only like 20. Using FF. Lemme switch over to IE8 and SlimBrowser and see what happens.

And this page is w-i-d-e-r than my 16" laptop display. Maybe just need one of those cookie reset thingys.

no1mad 01-06-10 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1mad (Post 10235658)
Not really an issue, but an observation. When I visited Foo, it displayed 53 thread titles on the first page. Usually there is only like 20. Using FF. Lemme switch over to IE8 and SlimBrowser and see what happens.

And this page is w-i-d-e-r than my 16" laptop display. Maybe just need one of those cookie reset thingys.

Using IE8 now. Still 53 thread titles on Foo's first index page.

Haven't used IE in a while since the migration to vB4 (sparingly, really), but the pop-up dialog box actually seems to working now when using the 'Quick Nav' or whatever it's called now. Used to it pop-up under the main screen, but you already knew that.

Machka 01-06-10 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no1mad (Post 10235658)
Not really an issue, but an observation. When I visited Foo, it displayed 53 thread titles on the first page. Usually there is only like 20. Using FF. Lemme switch over to IE8 and SlimBrowser and see what happens.

YES!! Finally!! Thank goodness!!

Finally some improvements to the forum ... finally a forum that might actually be useable ... and finally a forum where I can read what I'm typing.

It's only been 2 months since the rollout of this new forum format before they finally fixed some of these issues.

Rollfast 01-07-10 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 10236033)
YES!! Finally!! Thank goodness!!

Finally some improvements to the forum ... finally a forum that might actually be useable ... and finally a forum where I can read what I'm typing.

It's only been 2 months since the rollout of this new forum format before they finally fixed some of these issues.

I think that's because they tried to fix IE first...I've been hunky-dory for most of December onward other than a strange IE could not load the page and will abort that covers several sites on different platforms and is remedied with F5.

Glad you are at least 95% comfortable now. Please continue to help us if you would and thanks for your diligence.

DMF 01-08-10 12:02 PM

So far so good.

Scooper 01-09-10 06:55 AM

Recently, after initially logging on, I'll reply in a thread and get a response that I don't have permission because I'm not logged on. It's pretty frustrating, but I've now gotten into the habit of copying my reply before hitting the "Post Quick Reply" button so that when the software responds with the I don't have permission crap, I log in again, go to the thread I'm replying to, paste my reply, then hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. That's the work-around, but it sure is annoying to have to go through that every time I want to reply to a post.

This happens with both IE7 and Firefox.

Tom Stormcrowe 01-09-10 08:06 AM

Are you using "Remember me" box? If you aren't because of a shared computer, as long as you remember to log out before you leave the forums, you'll avoid the timeout issue.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 PM.