Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike ms nyc 2013

    I signed up for the century distance. Who has done it before and what did you think of the climbs? I've done a century before (Ride to Montauk) at a fairly decent ave speed of 16mph. I figure I'll be slower than that because of the rolling hills and climb.

    Anyone doing it this year who plans to do training rides along the Palisades?

    -Mike

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjco04 View Post
    I signed up for the century distance. Who has done it before and what did you think of the climbs? I've done a century before (Ride to Montauk) at a fairly decent ave speed of 16mph. I figure I'll be slower than that because of the rolling hills and climb.

    Anyone doing it this year who plans to do training rides along the Palisades?

    -Mike
    Never done the Bike MS before, but have done the northern portions of the route. I will be marshaling the course, and should see you there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.2
    Posts
    655
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to but I'm doing a cancer walk in Philly this weekend. But I'm usually on the palisades at least once a weekend.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's event was reminiscent of the Gran Fondo New York this year. Really craptastic conditions!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim0 View Post
    Today's event was reminiscent of the Gran Fondo New York this year. Really craptastic conditions!

    Holy sh*t was my reaction during the event. This is my second century and I couldn't have asked for a harsher conditions. The climbs are a killer (coming from Long Island) and I was on the verge of quitting halfway through the ride. Thank God I didn't. Definitely a memorable century for me. Thanks to all the volunteers and ride marshalls!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjco04 View Post
    Holy sh*t was my reaction during the event. This is my second century and I couldn't have asked for a harsher conditions. The climbs are a killer (coming from Long Island) and I was on the verge of quitting halfway through the ride. Thank God I didn't. Definitely a memorable century for me. Thanks to all the volunteers and ride marshalls!
    Very happy to hear you complete the ride unscathed, and all the volunteers/ride marshals did a fantastic job despite the horrid conditions. We had marshals sweep to ensure there were no other riders on the route while contingency plans were made for those that were SAG-ed.

    Some things I have heard / saw:
    1. There was a stretch of road past Congers where some unscrupulous people deposited tacks on the side of the road and resulted in flats for a number of riders.
    2. A rider was clipped by a car and arrived at the rest stop, got bandaged up, and continued on. Very inspiring and really showed true mettle for the cause!
    Last edited by tim0; 10-07-13 at 07:57 PM.

  7. #7
    Member thatcycleguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NYC & North GA
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold, wet and miserable is how I have described my ride (century) to all my friends. I thought the event was well supported and organized. I will definitely do it again. Thanks to all the volunteers and moto-marshals.

  8. #8
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,190
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was supposed to marshal the 55 mile route. Got there late after everybody left.
    Organizers told me to just catch up at the Inwood rest stop for the 30 mile route.
    Did exactly that and had a great ride down the closed for traffic Henry Hudson.
    Weather was crappy but I thought it was still a lot of fun.

    I was a marshal for the 100 mile route last year, perfect weather
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RByK0ya7vXM

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcycleguy View Post
    Cold, wet and miserable is how I have described my ride (century) to all my friends. I thought the event was well supported and organized. I will definitely do it again. Thanks to all the volunteers and moto-marshals.
    OK I think my only gripe about this ride was the lack of porta johns at the start! My friend and I missed the actual huge start because I was at the porta potty line and we had to scramble to get out since the 30 mile riders were already at the starting line. Missed the one big photo opp (first world problem) but come on we need a lot of porta potty at the start!!!! Is someone from Bike MS seeing this post? lol

    Overall, great challenging ride. My first time riding the course and given the tough conditions, I'm very proud to have finished it in less than 7 hours (garmin time which doesn't take into account the rest stops).

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim0 View Post
    Very happy to hear you complete the ride unscathed, and all the volunteers/ride marshals did a fantastic job despite the horrid conditions. We had marshals sweep to ensure there were no other riders on the route while contingency plans were made for those that were SAG-ed.

    Some things I have heard / saw:
    1. There was a stretch of road past Congers where some unscrupulous people deposited tacks on the side of the road and resulted in flats for a number of riders.
    2. A rider was clipped by a car and arrived at the rest stop, got bandaged up, and continued on. Very inspiring and really showed true mettle for the cause!
    I saw a couple of riders being helped out because they crashed. Didnt see actual crash though. There was one unfortunate guy who crashed probably 2 miles right out of Holland Tunnel. Also what's up with early flats?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •