Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    A Little Bent Hammertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Southern Vermont -Post Routes So We Can Enjoy New Territory - Going Up

    Greetings from Sunny Southern Vermont. Not really considered Vermont if you are from Vermont.
    I ride as far north as Ludlow, as far south as Greenfield, MA, as far east as the Connecticut River (really need to more in New Hampshire) and as far west as Manchester. I ride many basic loops on mostly major roads (major for up here).
    I will post some of my routes when not so tired. I was up early riding you know....
    Last edited by Hammertoe; 08-23-06 at 05:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see some routes w/ descriptions in VT...that would be cool....
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  3. #3
    A Little Bent Hammertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the 60 mile ride I did this morning. The 1st climb is 1.5 miles (starting at 750 feet) has an avg. grade of 5 and kicks up to a grade of 12 and the second climb is 2.5 miles with an avg. grade of 5 and kicks up to 10. Traffic can be a little heavy down in Brattleboro, especially when done during the weekdays. Road surfaces are pretty good with some areas along the side of the road that are broken up. Always nice scenery to look at. Traffic is usually courteous. I will post some of my Death Rides later....I need some sleep....

    Last edited by Hammertoe; 08-23-06 at 06:18 PM.

  4. #4
    Used to be a climber.. GuitarWizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Providence, RI
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    6,821
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4,700 feet in 60 miles qualifies as a "death" ride to me.....how far is Brattleboro from the VT/MA border?
    1999 Trek 2500 - hit by a car on it in May, 2011 and currently bikeless

  5. #5
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
    .....how far is Brattleboro from the VT/MA border?
    10-15 miles? Maybe less.
    I've just moved away from S. Vt - I'm now in Burlington.
    S. Vt. had lots of climbing right out my door... now, being 2 minutes from Champlain, I have to work to get to any good climbing.


    Here's a loop in S. Vt.:
    (I did this from home, in Putney - but a shorter version would be to start at the commons in Brat)

    Mt. Snow Loop
    Start in Brattleboro
    Ride out Rt. 30
    South on Rt. 100
    East on Rt. 9
    North on Rt. 5

    78 Miles as drawn from Putney
    8,000 feet of climbing (more like 7,200 from what some folks at the shop have told me)



    Atop Hogsback (on the return in to Brattleboro) sometime this summer:

  6. #6
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My regular loop.

    48 Mile Ride. 3800 feet of climbing.
    Putney, to Bellows Falls (commonly refered to as Fellows Balls), through Westmoreland, NH, Chesterfield, NH, Brattleboro, VT, and back home.

    Rt. 5 to BF, then across the CT
    Rt. 12 to 63 through Westmoreland, along Spofford Lake
    Rt 9 back to Brat at the roudabout
    Rt 5 back to Putney

    Pics from my ride in January:
    Green Mountain Railroad, in NH, across the Connecticut from Bellows Falls. I think this is for removing some serious snow from the tracks....



    Stopped to have a Clif bar at Bensonwood... (friendly TF competitors)





    Westmoreland, NH Meeting Hall:



    I need to do a study of local cupola's and weathervanes... as the weathervane is similar to pics from my December ride.

  7. #7
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Tour of the Valleys

    Follows the old race route.
    Start at West Hill, ride up 30 to Townshend, then to Grafton (very pretty climb), Saxtons River, Kurn Hattin, West West, and back to Putney.

    60+ miles. 5,400 feet of climbing.

  8. #8
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #9
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertoe
    Greetings from Sunny Southern Vermont. Not really considered Vermont if you are from Vermont.
    I ride as far north as Ludlow, as far south as Greenfield, MA, as far east as the Connecticut River (really need to more in New Hampshire) and as far west as Manchester. I ride many basic loops on mostly major roads (major for up here).
    I will post some of my routes when not so tired. I was up early riding you know....

    Hmmm... where were you when I was living in Putney?

  10. #10
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertoe
    Here is the 60 mile ride I did this morning. The 1st climb is 1.5 miles (starting at 750 feet) has an avg. grade of 5 and kicks up to a grade of 12 and the second climb is 2.5 miles with an avg. grade of 5 and kicks up to 10. Traffic can be a little heavy down in Brattleboro, especially when done during the weekdays. Road surfaces are pretty good with some areas along the side of the road that are broken up. Always nice scenery to look at. Traffic is usually courteous. I will post some of my Death Rides later....I need some sleep....
    Nice ride. Follows much of the tour of the Valleys (below).
    The ride up to Grafton is nice... Kurn Hattin is a nice stretch too...
    Last edited by bmike; 08-23-06 at 09:18 PM.

  11. #11
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^
    Wow ! Great stuff, Mike !

  12. #12
    A Little Bent Hammertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the "Death Ride" I did earlier this year. It was a cool damp day which I think helped somewhat. The views are spectacular and should be better during Leaf Season. The 2nd climb (Windham Hill Rd) starts off at a little over 20% grade. The first time I did that climb my back wheel spun a little. I learned to lean back on super steep stuff. That last little spike (East West Road) was actually the most difficult. I almost fell over at 3.3 MPH....but I made it.
    Funny I do not carry a camera when I ride but I do ride with a CamelBak.
    I am designing a new challenge that will include these climbs as well as the climb up to Stratton Mountain.
    Brattleboro Memorial Hospital is having a charity ride this Saturday morning 25K, 50K, or 100K. It starts at 8 AM and runs right past my house. My daughter is having her birthday party so I need to be home early. I am going to start at 6:00 and ride the 100K anyway.

    Last edited by Hammertoe; 08-24-06 at 07:02 PM.

  13. #13
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertoe
    Here is the "Death Ride" I did earlier this year. It was a cool damp day which I think helped somewhat. The views are spectacular and should be better during Leaf Season. The 2nd climb (Windham Hill Rd) starts off at a little over 20% grade. The first time I did that climb my back wheel spun a little. I learned to lean back on super steep stuff. That last little spike (East West Road) was actually the most difficult. I almost fell over at 3.3 MPH....but I made it.
    Funny I do not carry a camera when I ride but I do ride with a CamelBak.
    I am designing a new challenge that will include these climbs as well as the climb up to Stratton Mountain.
    Brattleboro Memorial Hospital is having a charity ride this Saturday morning 25K, 50K, or 100K. It starts at 8 AM and runs right past my house. My daughter is having her birthday party so I need to be home early. I am going to start at 6:00 and ride the 100K anyway.
    I've volunteered to run the SAG in Putney. I think I'll be in front of coop.
    I'll be there around 10am. You might have gone by already though...

    East West is great. That used to be my quick hard ride when I needed about an hour to an hour and a half of hard work. I'd ride over from 5 to the covered bridge and then back.

  14. #14
    A Little Bent Hammertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike
    I've volunteered to run the SAG in Putney. I think I'll be in front of coop.
    I'll be there around 10am. You might have gone by already though...
    I slowed and looked for the SAG set up as I came through Putney but didn't see any. By the time I made the Dummerston covered bridge the "official" riders were just starting to pass. It looked like a good turn out.
    By the way I thought you moved north, were you just in the area for the ride?

  15. #15
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertoe
    I slowed and looked for the SAG set up as I came through Putney but didn't see any. By the time I made the Dummerston covered bridge the "official" riders were just starting to pass. It looked like a good turn out.
    By the way I thought you moved north, were you just in the area for the ride?
    Did move north - to Burlington.

    My new IF is at West Hill - and I was in town Friday to build it.

    I was supposed to help with the ride today - but some travel plans (airline f-up) with my fiancee had me changing that. Friday I drove to Hartford to pick her up (she was supposed to return to Burlington) then we drove back home to B-ton. Today I was on the road to Reading, PA.

    I'll be in Putney Monday - they miss ordered a few parts - so they'll get em in Monday AM so I can finish the build....

  16. #16
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Hey Mike !
    I used to live about 10 miles from Reading in PA.........
    There is some nice roadage outside of Reading....Do you ever take a bike ?

    Hey VT'ers...a ride before winter ?

  17. #17
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=-
    ^^Hey Mike !
    I used to live about 10 miles from Reading in PA.........
    There is some nice roadage outside of Reading....Do you ever take a bike ?

    Hey VT'ers...a ride before winter ?
    Yes, on both counts.

    I do take a bike, but this trip out (I also spend time in Harrisburg and Carlisle) my new ride is almost built, and the cranks I borrowed from the old ride haven't been swapped yet - so I'm bikeless...

  18. #18
    Senior Member marvelous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    My Bikes
    austro daimler
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    routes

    find route 153 and take it to west pawlet
    BBI Graduate

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •