Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northeast Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-06, 09:18 AM   #1
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"
Thread Starter
 
AfterThisNap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zoo York City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
$400 REWARD --- Another stolen NYC bike.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Four Hundred Dollars $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hey guys. Not ss/fixed related, but I thought we could carry the recent momentum of recovered parts and bikes.

On Wed afternoon during the lunch hour rush, a Specialized Sirrus Limited was taken off the racks of Gotham Bikes in TriBeCa and walked out the door. Careless, I know, but it wasn't me .

The bike has a full monocoque carbon fiber frame,fork, and carbon FSA cranks. Mostly Ultegra with a flat carbon bar. It is a pretty unique looking bike, and there aren't too many out on the street.




There is a $400 reward for the recovery of the bike, no questions asked.

If the bike is recovered it will probably discounted for use or stripped for parts. As such, with the payment, the shop is losing money, but they hope to keep this from happening again by rewarding sharp eyes.



HappY Hunting.
AfterThisNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 09:51 AM   #2
AfterThisNap
Taking "s" outta "Fast"
Thread Starter
 
AfterThisNap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Zoo York City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delete Duplicate
AfterThisNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 09:55 AM   #3
shishi
Senior Member
 
shishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: brooklyn, NY
Bikes: Sparton(custon track), Fuji
Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
walked outta the store, damn that REALLY sucks
shishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 10:01 AM   #4
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文
 
genericbikedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Bikes:
Posts: 3,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did they run or walk? Did they look shady, or have a ****-eatin grin on their face? While sucky, this really is my favorite kind of theft.

Of course, I'll keep an eye out and tackle the bastard if need be.
genericbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:08 AM   #5
eddiebrannan
Senior Member
 
eddiebrannan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Bikes: DW
Posts: 3,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and how are we supposed to determine that the absolutely bone stock sirrus, undistinguishable in any way from it's million counterparts, is not legitimately owned? or we just supposed to tackle any mexicans we see with nice bikes now
eddiebrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:12 AM   #6
sloppy robot
like, really sloppy
 
sloppy robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: calipornia
Bikes:
Posts: 2,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dam that is one pimped out commuter
sloppy robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:23 AM   #7
SingleSpeeDemon
Senior Member
 
SingleSpeeDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Not where I want to be.
Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Pro, Colnago Master, Vision R40, Volae Club, Raleigh Record
Posts: 1,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Too easy to do...I remember once taking a test-spin on a pretty-nice raleigh with Campy Veloce components. The guy threw some pedals on and away I went. I came back to the store and he totally forgot who I was. "Are you in for service?" he asked. Coulda just kept riding if I wanted to...

Don't bike shops have insurance for this type of thing?
SingleSpeeDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:34 AM   #8
s_9
PINK THUNDER
 
s_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: BROOKLYN!
Bikes: IRO (track), Aegis (road), Trek (Mtn)
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brad'll get it! We should sew him a superhero outfit that he can wear underneath all his clothes. As he jumps over the desk at T* and mounts his Condor, he tears off his black tshirt & torn pants, to reveal a costume that looks pretty much the same, only spandex. Half an hour later, he returns, stolen bike in tow!

He's a hero!
s_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:37 AM   #9
mrRed
we're here, we steer!!
 
mrRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_9
We should sew him a superhero outfit
Martha's tought you well.
mrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:42 AM   #10
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knew of a shop back home in Ottawa that had a run of break-ins. Thieves would either break in through the door or smash the glass and steal complete bikes of the racks in the front. Took a lot of high end downhill rigs one time. Owners are big into motorcycles and one day after the theft they are riding their Hogs through The Gatineau Hills and decide to pass by a local ski resort that caters to MTBers during the summer. They notice this guy (who owns a messenger friendly used bike and service shop in Ottawa) showing/selling stuff out of his van to some guys. They recognize the stuff as the ones stolen from their store and call the guy out on it. He gave some bull**** story of finding the bikes or taking them from someone else and he was goin to report it to the police himself. They escorted the guy to the local police station in hopes of getting their stuff back and having the guy charged. I don't think the shop was able to prove ownership for some reason and later on ended up closing that shop and opening another one in another part of town. They couldn't deal with the high insurance costs they had to deal with.

I've been to this mess-friendly shop before and he definitely has a ton of bikes and parts there. Definitely lots of stuff for conversions or rebuilds. His backyard is full of frames and what not while the basement is filled with milk crates full of parts and racks full of forks and wheels. On a kind note, he's very helpful, friendly and inexpensive. Plus he supports a lot of local bike advocacy things as well as supporting the local messers. He also has a special section of higher end bikes and parts too. And from what I've heard, mostly, if not all, hot stuff. Ever since I heard the rumours of him stealing stuff or getting people to steal stuff for him, I was hesitant to go back there. But damn, he probably has parts I'm looking for. Damn, damn, damn.

Hope Gotham Bikes gets there **** back.
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:46 AM   #11
Rikardi151
redonkulous
 
Rikardi151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Philly
Bikes: 2001 GT GTB
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_9
to reveal a costume that looks pretty much the same, only spandex.
hahaha... I havnt read anything online that actually made me laugh out loud in a while...
Rikardi151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 11:52 AM   #12
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by progre-ss
I knew of a shop back home in Ottawa that had a run of break-ins. Thieves would either break in through the door or smash the glass and steal complete bikes of the racks in the front. Took a lot of high end downhill rigs one time. Owners are big into motorcycles and one day after the theft they are riding their Hogs through The Gatineau Hills and decide to pass by a local ski resort that caters to MTBers during the summer. They notice this guy (who owns a messenger friendly used bike and service shop in Ottawa) showing/selling stuff out of his van to some guys. They recognize the stuff as the ones stolen from their store and call the guy out on it. He gave some bull**** story of finding the bikes or taking them from someone else and he was goin to report it to the police himself. They escorted the guy to the local police station in hopes of getting their stuff back and having the guy charged. I don't think the shop was able to prove ownership for some reason and later on ended up closing that shop and opening another one in another part of town. They couldn't deal with the high insurance costs they had to deal with.

I've been to this mess-friendly shop before and he definitely has a ton of bikes and parts there. Definitely lots of stuff for conversions or rebuilds. His backyard is full of frames and what not while the basement is filled with milk crates full of parts and racks full of forks and wheels. On a kind note, he's very helpful, friendly and inexpensive. Plus he supports a lot of local bike advocacy things as well as supporting the local messers. He also has a special section of higher end bikes and parts too. And from what I've heard, mostly, if not all, hot stuff. Ever since I heard the rumours of him stealing stuff or getting people to steal stuff for him, I was hesitant to go back there. But damn, he probably has parts I'm looking for. Damn, damn, damn.

Hope Gotham Bikes gets there **** back.
Nice. You know it's stolen and still buy it? No whining when your bike gets lifted. Karma is a harsh mistress.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 12:02 PM   #13
dobber
Perineal Pressurized
 
dobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In Ebritated
Bikes:
Posts: 6,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Nice. You know it's stolen and still buy it? No whining when your bike gets lifted. Karma is a harsh mistress.
Everything stolen in one way or another, isn't it?
__________________
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 12:12 PM   #14
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobber
Everything stolen in one way or another, isn't it?
No. You can try and justify it with any pseudointellectual clap-trap that you want, but I'm not buying your line.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 12:13 PM   #15
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Nice. You know it's stolen and still buy it? No whining when your bike gets lifted. Karma is a harsh mistress.
Did you even read what I wrote? Where in my post did I say I bought anything from this guy?

Quote:
Ever since I heard the rumours of him stealing stuff or getting people to steal stuff for him, I was hesitant to go back there. But damn, he probably has parts I'm looking for. Damn, damn, damn.
This is probably what you read, but nowhere did I say I bought stuff from him.

Although I did frequent this place to have afrozen BB taken out of my frame, it was prior to finding out about the rash of thefts and his (possible) involvment in them. I never went there after that except to accompany a friend of mine and the bike shop owners to see if he indeed had stuff that was stolen from the afformentioned bike shop.
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 12:22 PM   #16
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by progre-ss
Did you even read what I wrote? Where in my post did I say I bought anything from this guy?



This is probably what you read, but nowhere did I say I bought stuff from him.

Although I did frequent this place to have afrozen BB taken out of my frame, it was prior to finding out about the rash of thefts and his (possible) involvment in them. I never went there after that except to accompany a friend of mine and the bike shop owners to see if he indeed had stuff that was stolen from the afformentioned bike shop.
Yes, I did read your post. In it's entirety. The words and grammar which you used lead the reader to believe that you did in fact shop there. My bad......

Last edited by Ziemas; 08-24-06 at 01:25 PM.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 12:29 PM   #17
progre-ss
Senior Member
 
progre-ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Poconos, PA
Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziemas
Yes, I did read your post. In it's entirety. The words and grammar which you used leads the reader to believe that you did in fact shop there. My bad......
Well, I just re-read this...

Quote:
I've been to this mess-friendly shop before and he definitely has a ton of bikes and parts there. Definitely lots of stuff for conversions or rebuilds. His backyard is full of frames and what not while the basement is filled with milk crates full of parts and racks full of forks and wheels. On a kind note, he's very helpful, friendly and inexpensive. Plus he supports a lot of local bike advocacy things as well as supporting the local messers. He also has a special section of higher end bikes and parts too. And from what I've heard, mostly, if not all, hot stuff
...and after reading it, it does read like I shopped there. I should have paid more attention in English class instead of on the girl in front of me. Can we hug, make up and go ride our bikes now?
progre-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 12:35 PM   #18
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not for nothin', but every fiber of my being, save my conscience, says that if I come across that stolen bike, I'm swiping it and keeping it for myself. My conscience will probably win out though.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 02:23 PM   #19
bikeage
huaraches es amor
 
bikeage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA EEUU
Bikes: n+1
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiebrannan
and how are we supposed to determine that the absolutely bone stock sirrus, undistinguishable in any way from it's million counterparts, is not legitimately owned? or we just supposed to tackle any mexicans we see with nice bikes now
I resent that comment
bikeage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 02:54 PM   #20
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doesn't the shop have some kind of insurance?
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:31 PM.