Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 15 of 320 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 7983
  1. #351
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath
    Maybe I should just start doing 3-4 10-15min sessions in a day rather than trying to do one longer session.



    -D
    That's the secret.

    If you are only putting in base miles at a sub-FTP or LT pace, then split the workbouts up into smaller chunks and take short breaks (no more than a minute rest) between the workbouts.

    Getting used to the rollers, I started with 15 minute workbouts with > than a minute rest between. But once I became more comfortable, I needed only a minute to 30 seconds to just towel off or drink something. Now, I'm doing 20 minutes with 1 minute to 30 seconds between plus throwing in some high speed seated sprints at the end and fast spinning w/low force throughout the session.

    Also, you can work on your neuromuscular coordination by learning to smooth out your spin where you can do it with no hands.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  2. #352
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer
    That's the secret.

    If you are only putting in base miles at a sub-FTP or LT pace, then split the workbouts up into smaller chunks and take short breaks (no more than a minute rest) between the workbouts.

    Getting used to the rollers, I started with 15 minute workbouts with > than a minute rest between. But once I became more comfortable, I needed only a minute to 30 seconds to just towel off or drink something. Now, I'm doing 20 minutes with 1 minute to 30 seconds between plus throwing in some high speed seated sprints at the end and fast spinning w/low force throughout the session.

    Also, you can work on your neuromuscular coordination by learning to smooth out your spin where you can do it with no hands.
    Yea, I just need more practice. The basic problem is I don't feel I can spin under a certain amount without feeling wobbly. So I am hammering pretty hard the whole time.

    Part of the problem too, is a buddy talked me into doing a triathlon this spring, so I bought some aerobars, which I have found I really don't use much. But having them on means I lose the tops of my handlebars. I think being able to hold the tops would make the rollers a bit easier to get used to. Maybe I will rip those things off this afternoon and put em up on ebay or something.

    -D

  3. #353
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't hold the tops comfortably at first. I started on the hoods.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  4. #354
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone up for a saturday morning ride? My wife will be out of town this weekend, and it is my birthday weekend. So I am gonna head down to my parents (they live in Cape St. Claire, near annapolis) friday night with the kids. That way I can get out on the bike nice and early for a decent ride. Have to be back by 2pm for my b'day dinner.

    -D

  5. #355
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so are you looking to ride in Annapolis then?
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  6. #356
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerMike
    so are you looking to ride in Annapolis then?
    This weekend? Dunno exactly. I could head west from my parents house towards annapolis. Or head north towards baltimore/BWI area.

    Can't ride over the bay bridge so east is pretty much out.

    I have a buddy north near BWI. I need to see if he is interested.

    Usually I ride with my dad, who pretty much likes the B&A trail. Personally I find the trail a bit boring. Plus I dunno if it would be plowed. And if it never got plowed, there are areas shady enough that it still could have snow this weekend I suppose.

    Honestly I haven't thought that far ahead yet in that much detail. I'm kinda hoping someone in that area wants to ride and already knows a good route

    -D

  7. #357
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath
    This weekend? Dunno exactly. I could head west from my parents house towards annapolis. Or head north towards baltimore/BWI area.

    Can't ride over the bay bridge so east is pretty much out.

    I have a buddy north near BWI. I need to see if he is interested.

    Usually I ride with my dad, who pretty much likes the B&A trail. Personally I find the trail a bit boring. Plus I dunno if it would be plowed. And if it never got plowed, there are areas shady enough that it still could have snow this weekend I suppose.

    Honestly I haven't thought that far ahead yet in that much detail. I'm kinda hoping someone in that area wants to ride and already knows a good route

    -D
    You could always go south into St. Mary's. I attempted this once, but got lost--it was ill planned. I need to spend some time in Google Maps before I try it again.

    I'm up for another epic journey--quantified as a Training Stress Score (TSS) of 400 or better by Coggan. As a reference, the 145 miler I did not too long back, had a TSS of 800+. I'm not looking for another one of those (yet), but something in the 500 range would be ok.

    I'll get back with you, -D, on this. I definitely will ride with you Saturday, but it's just a matter of do I want to bike to Annapolis from Essex and meet you, drive to BWI and start from there and meet you, or just drive to a meeting place in Annapolis and ride from there.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  8. #358
    Senior Member donhaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chesapeake Beach, Maryland USA
    My Bikes
    GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope
    Posts
    466
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derath
    Anyone up for a saturday morning ride? My wife will be out of town this weekend, and it is my birthday weekend. So I am gonna head down to my parents (they live in Cape St. Claire, near annapolis) friday night with the kids. That way I can get out on the bike nice and early for a decent ride. Have to be back by 2pm for my b'day dinner.

    -D
    I'm riding with my TNT group this weekend out of the Davidsonville P&R. I'm not sure where we are headed though. This will be my first ride with this group outdoors. Should be fun.

  9. #359
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -D,

    Since it's your birthday, I'll forgo the "epic" journey thing. I'll just look forward to meeting you somewhere and riding out from there. Maybe we can just roam around Annapolis proper and then wind our way to Bay Ridge Rd following that to the Highland Beach peninsula area

    or

    we could try to meet up with Don's group.

    It's up to you.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  10. #360
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer
    So, besides me and -D, where's everyone else and have you been riding?
    crazy busy at work. I broke my string of 4 weeks of bike commuting last Thursday so I could pick up my van! The last couple of days commuting have been sketchy because of no shoulder, regular car traffic and black ice. My van is home from the shop but is on the trading block. Needs too much work for 140,000 mile vehicle. I am slowing becoming Barry...the human car. I ain't that tough. It feels rather balmy this week. Could winter be over?

  11. #361
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balto charlie
    It feels rather balmy this week. Could winter be over?
    Not likely, but I hope so, too.

    I've been commuting to work on the bike, again, since yesterday. It was a little sketchy, yesterday morning. I gave myself a little more time and took it slow in the areas that I reconn'ed for black ice Monday in my motor vehicle. Nevertheless, my time was faster than some of the most recent commutes to work.

    Yesterday afternoon's ride back home was wet, salty, and muddy, but it was one of my fastest trips home since the latest cold snap. I averaged just under 18 MPH on wet, grimey, muddy roads that are still lined with aged snow.

    This morning, I was a little more reckless, because I knew it was relatively warm over night. My time was about the same as yesterday, but I felt some latent fatigue from yesterday's activity.

    I think I'm seeing some benefit from my time on the rollers. I need to continue doing roller rides even if the weather gets better.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  12. #362
    Senior Member joeprim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northern Neck Tidewater Va.
    Posts
    1,688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer
    You could always go south into St. Mary's. I attempted this once, but got lost--it was ill planned. I need to spend some time in Google Maps before I try it again.

    I'm up for another epic journey--quantified as a Training Stress Score (TSS) of 400 or better by Coggan. As a reference, the 145 miler I did not too long back, had a TSS of 800+. I'm not looking for another one of those (yet), but something in the 500 range would be ok.

    I'll get back with you, -D, on this. I definitely will ride with you Saturday, but it's just a matter of do I want to bike to Annapolis from Essex and meet you, drive to BWI and start from there and meet you, or just drive to a meeting place in Annapolis and ride from there.
    Stop in at the Md welcome center and ask. They have bicycle orented road maps.

    Joe

  13. #363
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer
    So, besides me and -D, where's everyone else and have you been riding?
    I have been trepidatious about leaving the city since the snow fall so I have been doing mostly short 10-20 mile rides around the city. Any way this is where I have been since my last post here:
    currenttravel.gif
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  14. #364
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeprim
    Stop in at the Md welcome center and ask. They have bicycle orented road maps.

    Joe
    Thanks for the info.

    I've already acquired a Maryland State Bicycle map from the State Hiway Administration which states which roads and bridges that are fully or partially prohibited. So, usually I just go to www.bikely.com or some other Google Maps derivative to map a route if I don't already have one.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  15. #365
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we are having a baby shower this Saturday so I don't think going to Annapolis beforehand is going to happen for me.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  16. #366
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys. I have been busy down here at a client in Tysons Corner today. Working like crazy so I can get back on the road before the afternoon rush. I will get back to you later tonight.

    -D

  17. #367
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balto charlie
    I am slowing becoming Barry...the human car. I ain't that tough.
    Exactly, once you survive not having a car for a short time you really start to question whether it is really worth keeping/replacing the thing or just use taxies and car rentals for the few times you really need a car, that’s what I did for my first car free year and it worked out fine. And as you said it's not that tough.

    FWIW The state should have a new bike map out in March and I had a look at it during the bike symposium and it is a lot better then the old one. They even have BikeWashington.org’s Balto-Washington bike route marked (though I wished they would have done some more invasion routes not just for DC but other areas as well but that’s the price we pay for the state not wanting me on that committee.) But as I said it is better so that's not a bad thing.
    Last edited by The Human Car; 02-21-07 at 01:17 PM.
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  18. #368
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^ Barry, do you know when the new map will be available? Mine is in very bad repair.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  19. #369
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ I’ll at least post something on Baltimore Spokes when it is available and possibly on BF as well. I hear it will be available in March sometime (it was supposed to be available at the bike symposium but the time table slipped.) I assume if you email bikes@sha.state.md.us they will send you one when it comes off the press.
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  20. #370
    TÍte de Limace gurana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Maryland
    My Bikes
    '05 Specialized Allez Sport Triple
    Posts
    1,542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montgomery County here... soon to be Howard County come April (First House!). BTW, I haven't read the entire thread to see if this has already been done yet, but if someone can link me some nice routes in the ellicot city/columbia area, I'd appreciate it.

    Les Douleurs de la Mort. :: Sed fugit interea fugit irreparabile tempus.

  21. #371
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gurana
    Montgomery County here... soon to be Howard County come April (First House!). BTW, I haven't read the entire thread to see if this has already been done yet, but if someone can link me some nice routes in the ellicot city/columbia area, I'd appreciate it.
    You can check these sites for something:

    www.bikely.com
    www.routeslip.com
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  22. #372
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gurana
    Montgomery County here... soon to be Howard County come April (First House!). BTW, I haven't read the entire thread to see if this has already been done yet, but if someone can link me some nice routes in the ellicot city/columbia area, I'd appreciate it.

    Where in HoCo? Pretty much the question is "where isn't it nice to ride" Pretty much all of the country roads are awesome to ride on IMO. I work in Columbia so I often take long lunch rides where i just pick a road and head out.

    -D

  23. #373
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer
    -D,

    Since it's your birthday, I'll forgo the "epic" journey thing. I'll just look forward to meeting you somewhere and riding out from there. Maybe we can just roam around Annapolis proper and then wind our way to Bay Ridge Rd following that to the Highland Beach peninsula area

    or

    we could try to meet up with Don's group.

    It's up to you.

    Hey if you want epic that is plenty cool. I haven't gotten in nearly the miles I have wanted to so far this year. So you will definitely be riding circles around me anyhow.

    Anyhow. I was goofing around a little on Routeslip. Here is the Route from my parents house up the B&A to BWI. We could both ride from our respective homes and meet at BWI, and then tool around up there. The only problem is I don't know of many decent roads to ride on up that way. We could do a couple loops of the BWI trail or something.

    http://www.routeslip.com/routes/22602

    I was also playing around with getting around Annapolis. This isn't a complete out and back route, but one that goes to Thomas point. Ya know I grew up in the area and I don't think I have ever been to Thomas Point park. Plenty of places to tool around in that area. And I am sure the homes and the views are grand. Hopefully saturday morning the roads wouldn't be too crazy.

    http://www.routeslip.com/routes/22605


    I probably will start from the house. It increases the amount of cycling time vs driving in the car time.

    The ride with Don could be fun too. Although it makes me a bit nervous. What kind of ride is it Don? Are we talking an A/B class ride or something a bit more relaxed?

    Either way, I figure those routes also give you a good idea of my start location. It is a pretty easy shot down the B&A etc.

    Overall, I just wanna get on the bike and ride darnit! Don't really care that much where.


    -D

  24. #374
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^
    -D,

    Let's plan on meeting at BWI. If you don't mind, the "Observation Parking Lot" on Dorsey Rd is right on the BWI Trail. We could meet there, then head south to Annapolis and the point. I still have your cell phone number and you likely still have mine, so if we get crossed up we can contact each other.

    What time do you want to meet?

    Anyone else want to join us?
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  25. #375
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reisterstown, MD
    Posts
    3,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer
    ^^^^^^^
    -D,

    Let's plan on meeting at BWI. If you don't mind, the "Observation Parking Lot" on Dorsey Rd is right on the BWI Trail. We could meet there, then head south to Annapolis and the point. I still have your cell phone number and you likely still have mine, so if we get crossed up we can contact each other.

    What time do you want to meet?

    Anyone else want to join us?
    The Observation parking lot is perfect.

    I mapped out this route. Let me know what you think

    http://www.routeslip.com/routes/22625

    It gives us some good scenery through annapolis. Right past the Naval academy (shame it isn't as easy as it used to be to get through the gates, cause biking around the academy grounds would be fun). St. Margarets road on the way back should give us some of the only small climbs we will likely see on this flat run.

    If we are ahead of schedule we can tack on this detour out to Sandy Point St. Park for an extra 5 miles or so

    http://www.routeslip.com/routes/22628

    And then we can end up at my parents' house. You can use the bathroom, refill bottles there if needed. I will make you a cue sheet and print up a map to get you from there back to the B&A Trail. It is pretty easy.

    That should give me a nice 55-60 mile ride and maybe 80 or so for you? Be a fun day.

    How would 9:30am be? That should easily get me back to my parents house sometime between noon and 1pm. It will give me some time to visit (don't want to seem totally anti social). And plenty of time before our afternoon dinner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •