Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 168 of 320 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 7983
  1. #4176
    Senior Member HC203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    My Bikes
    Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    Welcome gotcha. I normally have mondays free and would enjoy a ride around and about the city. Barry and Harry often have weekday free time too. Stay in touch.
    I need to ride more so yah- keep me posted. I'm hoping to keep a light (work) schedule this summer.

  2. #4177
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harry; Just read your blog. Very very impressive. 140 miles with your kid. Mine would have shot the captain(me). Keep it up. Charlie

  3. #4178
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcha640 View Post
    Hey guys, looks like you all have fun around Baltimore. My wife and I are moving up around the 18th, moving in to a supposedly terrible neighborhood near Johns Hopkins medical campus (Madison at Central). I'll be looking for a relatively relaxed city ride, not more than about 30 miles, just to get a feel for where people ride in the city. I don't have a job yet, so my schedule is open starting the morning of June 19. Happy to join in on a group ride, or I'll buy lunch if anyone else is bored on a weekday morning.
    Welcome Gotcha: I think I remember you looking for a neighborhood. I don't know about Madison and Central. The east side of the city is flat, more hilly to the north. And the westside...God's country. Guess where I live

  4. #4179
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodrow Wilson bridge bike path opens this wknd
    http://www.thewashcycle.com/2009/05/...rail-ride.html

  5. #4180
    Senior Member HC203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    My Bikes
    Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
    Harry; Just read your blog. Very very impressive. 140 miles with your kid. Mine would have shot the captain(me). Keep it up. Charlie
    Quote Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
    Woodrow Wilson bridge bike path opens this wknd
    http://www.thewashcycle.com/2009/05/...rail-ride.html
    Hey Charlie,
    Thanks, he and his brother have both done it now. I can't say they did a whole lot of pedaling but there's endurance involved in just being on that thing for 100 miles. So, yes, very proud.

    I have a little tour planned though not sure I can do it when planned, was hoping to take in that Wilson bridge path somehow. I was thinking of riding to DC and then doing the Tidewater Potomac route but not sure I want to be beholden to the very limited ferry schedule crossing back to Md-so thought of going the Rappahanock route to Williamsburg then west to Ashland and north. Hoped to do it before kids get out of school but now I have work-so we'll see.

  6. #4181
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
    I have a little tour planned though not sure I can do it when planned, was hoping to take in that Wilson bridge path somehow. I was thinking of riding to DC and then doing the Tidewater Potomac route but not sure I want to be beholden to the very limited ferry schedule crossing back to Md-so thought of going the Rappahanock route to Williamsburg then west to Ashland and north. Hoped to do it before kids get out of school but now I have work-so we'll see.
    I cued a route to Point Lookout, about 100 miles from B-more. The route from Balt to Point lookout to Eastern shore looks to be a 4 day 60 mile per day ride. I couldn't work out a 3 day 60 mile/day tour w/out a car. I didn't do northern neck though. Post up when you are going.
    Woodrow Wilson Bridge connection is being talked about on bikewash.org forum. You might want to check out what they are saying.

  7. #4182
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GB: I assume you are going to the Cirque du Cyclisme this wknd?? Have you ever been before? If yes, how is the Sunday swap meet? Lots of good deals? OR expensive vintage bikes? I don't know my Sunday as of now but wouldn't mind finding a 650b frame. Charlie

  8. #4183
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
    GB: I assume you are going to the Cirque du Cyclisme this wknd?? Have you ever been before? If yes, how is the Sunday swap meet? Lots of good deals? OR expensive vintage bikes? I don't know my Sunday as of now but wouldn't mind finding a 650b frame. Charlie
    Yep, I'm leaving at pre-dawn on Saturday morning. (on the Coho natch')
    I hope to be there by noon for some seminars- one by Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly fame.
    After that I plan to eat and drink beer with like minded steel bike heathens.

    I haven't been before, but have read much about it. On sunday I might do a short group ride, go to the swap meet. (the plan is to drop the new bike off in the Coho Bicycles booth for others to ogle at) and get back on the road headed east by 2:00.
    2013: quit counting 2012 FG century count: 4 2011 century count: ~20 2010 mileage: 10,239 2009 mileage: 8127 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  9. #4184
    Got another new bike
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    dundalk, md
    My Bikes
    pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After work ride, now. 530ish to ? no route. Any takers. pm or call ++++4102584517+++ cell number
    cleverly disguised ,I can ride to the harbor to meet up or park and ride, getting changed and rolling out soon.

  10. #4185
    Senior Member HC203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    My Bikes
    Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    Yep, I'm leaving at pre-dawn on Saturday morning. (on the Coho natch')
    I hope to be there by noon for some seminars- one by Jan Heine of Bicycle Quarterly fame.
    After that I plan to eat and drink beer with like minded steel bike heathens.

    I haven't been before, but have read much about it. On sunday I might do a short group ride, go to the swap meet. (the plan is to drop the new bike off in the Coho Bicycles booth for others to ogle at) and get back on the road headed east by 2:00.
    I read your piece on the BBC thread about the racer types you were spying and their "ugly" bikes.

    You rando snob. Now- a stripped down fixie beats anything as far as looks, everything else is just busy and cluttered, of course I love the sight of a fully loaded tourer.

    Have fun at the show.

  11. #4186
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
    I read your piece on the BBC thread about the racer types you were spying and their "ugly" bikes.
    Gulp

    Quote Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
    You rando snob. Have fun at the show.
    I am and I will. Thanks.
    2013: quit counting 2012 FG century count: 4 2011 century count: ~20 2010 mileage: 10,239 2009 mileage: 8127 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  12. #4187
    Senior Member HC203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    My Bikes
    Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    Gulp



    I am and I will. Thanks.
    And I admit that my interest is piqued by the whole rtero rando thing, alas I am finally realizing with family obs that short rides, runs, and swims fit my schedule better than all day randos.

    I'd be interested in that Ches Beach ride-but of course that kind of ride contradicts what I just said about having NO time.

  13. #4188
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    I haven't been before, but have read much about it. On sunday I might do a short group ride, go to the swap meet. (the plan is to drop the new bike off in the Coho Bicycles booth for others to ogle at) and get back on the road headed east by 2:00.
    DC RAND is headed out to the meet on Sunday. You may seem some of them there. I won't be.

    Saturday - I have to make up my mind as to whether I want to do the BBC club version of the CWC or go to a Team BBC "training" ride out by the Triadelphia Reservoir/Putuxant River State Park area or settle the score with the ride to Mount Joy, PA.

    Sunday - BBC Foxey Coxey or more favorably, especially after Saturday, a flat ride somewhere.
    Last edited by NoRacer; 06-04-09 at 06:18 AM.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  14. #4189
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That BBC Foxey Coxey ride was whispering taunts to me this week. Hopefully, I'll be nursing a hangover in Leesburg when that ride starts, but it looks like a fun leg breaker.
    2013: quit counting 2012 FG century count: 4 2011 century count: ~20 2010 mileage: 10,239 2009 mileage: 8127 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  15. #4190
    Senior Member HC203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    My Bikes
    Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody know anything about this bridge. May do a two night ride down to DC-Smallwood SP-Point Lookout-and back up through Annapolis-looks like a short span so probably okay. I know that Solomons bridge further down is scary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #4191
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
    Anybody know anything about this bridge. May do a two night ride down to DC-Smallwood SP-Point Lookout-and back up through Annapolis-looks like a short span so probably okay. I know that Solomons bridge further down is scary.
    Don't know that bridge, but I've been over Riva and Solomons bridges and I don't mind Solomons at all. The traffic on Solomons is very fast, but there's a huge shoulder so it ain't no big deal.
    2013: quit counting 2012 FG century count: 4 2011 century count: ~20 2010 mileage: 10,239 2009 mileage: 8127 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  17. #4192
    Senior Member HC203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    My Bikes
    Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    Don't know that bridge, but I've been over Riva and Solomons bridges and I don't mind Solomons at all. The traffic on Solomons is very fast, but there's a huge shoulder so it ain't no big deal.
    Yah, I saw your post about that, and I'm cool with your impressions of Solomons Bridge. The one I was referring to though is much further south. I recall heading onto it on a CAM tour one year and quickly realizing it was huge, steep, no shoulder, and you are right up against the cement rail. I don't really mind short segments with traffic, unavoidable, but I do like to have a little room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #4193
    Got another new bike
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    dundalk, md
    My Bikes
    pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    That BBC Foxey Coxey ride was whispering taunts to me this week. Hopefully, I'll be nursing a hangover in Leesburg when that ride starts, but it looks like a fun leg breaker.
    Got the green light to do the BBC 103 mile ride saturday,(driving to the start) any idea on the elv gain total ? my only goal with be to NOT call the wife to come and get me, she already said she will not come to frederick/gettysburg to save me, sound like a plan?

  19. #4194
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
    Yah, I saw your post about that, and I'm cool with your impressions of Solomons Bridge. The one I was referring to though is much further south.
    Oops- my bad. Don't know that one.
    You might search for the name of the bridge on Bikely or MapMyRide and see if others have used it.
    Or, look on the MD bike map.
    2013: quit counting 2012 FG century count: 4 2011 century count: ~20 2010 mileage: 10,239 2009 mileage: 8127 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  20. #4195
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshandlauri View Post
    Got the green light to do the BBC 103 mile ride saturday,(driving to the start) any idea on the elv gain total ? my only goal with be to NOT call the wife to come and get me, she already said she will not come to frederick/gettysburg to save me, sound like a plan?
    Cool! I guess I'll see you there, unless you want to car pool. We can take my truck up. We could meet at the bridge P&R.

    Climbing is about 7,600ft, but the last time I did this ride--New Years Eve--I got some "bonus" miles from missing turns and did even more climbing:

    http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/archives/10783/20081231
    Last edited by NoRacer; 06-04-09 at 09:53 PM.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  21. #4196
    Got another new bike
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    dundalk, md
    My Bikes
    pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
    Cool! I guess I'll see you there, unless you want to car pool. We can take my truck up. We could meet at the bridge P&R.

    Climbing is about 7,600ft, but the last time I did this ride--New Years Eve--I got some "bonus" miles from missing turns and did even more climbing:

    http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/archives/10783/20081231
    Is that first climb several miles long? that will be fun.


  22. #4197
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Severn, MD
    My Bikes
    Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
    Yah, I saw your post about that, and I'm cool with your impressions of Solomons Bridge. The one I was referring to though is much further south. I recall heading onto it on a CAM tour one year and quickly realizing it was huge, steep, no shoulder, and you are right up against the cement rail. I don't really mind short segments with traffic, unavoidable, but I do like to have a little room.
    I know the bridge you mean. All that you said, and if I recall correctly, the cement rail isn't particularly high, either. I drove over it once in my car, and *that* nearly gave me the screaming heebie jeebies. It's such a steep arc, at one brief point looking out my windshield, all I could see was blue sky.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win until you're not afraid to lose.

  23. #4198
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshandlauri View Post
    Is that first climb several miles long? that will be fun.

    Yes, it's about 7 miles long, but nothing over 10% I would guess.

    Let me know if you want to ride up with me. If I hear nothing, I'll assume you are heading up on your own. In that case, I'll see you there.

    The ride is scheduled for 8:30am. That is the time they will start the ride, not the meeting time, so get there earlier. I plan on leaving my house at ~6:45am so that I can stop and grab some drinks and food at the 7-11. (earlier if I'm coming by the P&R)
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  24. #4199
    Got another new bike
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    dundalk, md
    My Bikes
    pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
    Yes, it's about 7 miles long, but nothing over 10% I would guess.

    Let me know if you want to ride up with me. If I hear nothing, I'll assume you are heading up on your own. In that case, I'll see you there.

    The ride is scheduled for 8:30am. That is the time they will start the ride, not the meeting time, so get there earlier. I plan on leaving my house at ~6:45am so that I can stop and grab some drinks and food at the 7-11. (earlier if I'm coming by the P&R)
    I'll know for sure tonight, trying to make today my family day so I can be free tommorow.

  25. #4200
    Got another new bike
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    dundalk, md
    My Bikes
    pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mini ride report

    I hung on good with the lead group of course NR "taking it easy" right....vanished into the horizon @ mile 1 or 2 I think.

    My end of ride came @ mile 24 when the Kevlar bead broke on my tire ,2 tubes hoping it would be ok and 1 boot all failed, without Mr. Childress in sight to get a new tire, I had to call the sagmobile (or walk 20 plus miles back to the car), This sucked really bad, I was soooo hoping to do the entire ride, maybe some of us on here can do it another time? I did make it up the 7 mile climb good though.

    The wife said I shold keep the ride starts closer to home just in case....how can I argue with that logic now?

    got a new tire from Perf on the way home ($30 for a Rubino Pro slick, good reviews) and also got to eat at Roy Rogers with the wife and kids

    If anyone wants to ride tommorow after 530pm or so let me know, dying to get some more miles.
    Last edited by joshandlauri; 06-06-09 at 04:09 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •