Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 81 of 319 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 7972
  1. #2001
    Mmmmm Donuts! FatguyRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Crownsville, MD
    My Bikes
    1998 IF Crown Jewel
    Posts
    2,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cointelpro View Post
    Sorry for the semi-jack but I'll be in Howard County for the next week and was wondering if anyone could recommend some places where I could hunt around for an old 80s road bike. I tried going to Race Pace Bicycles today but it was a little too high-end for me and my wallet.
    Mt Airy Bicycles and College Park Bicycles. Both are owned by the same guy. A retro grouch if there ever was one. Check the websites. IIRC he lists his old inventory.
    John

    '09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
    '04 Lemond Victorie Ti
    '98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
    '92 Trek2100 (TT)
    '50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
    '02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

    My Blog

  2. #2002
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dspaff088 View Post
    Hey im from howard county... and looking for a few group rides in the next couple weeks before i head down to virginia for school.

    Any groups going? or anyone interested in starting one?
    HoCoCyclists does a ride from the Glenwood Community Center (corner of Rt 97 and Carrs Mill) every Wednesday night (weather permitting). Arrive and sign in at 5:45pm and ride promptly at 6pm. A, B and C paces (no drop) from 20-35 miles. There is a group of HoCo folk that also ride from the same place, at the same time on Thursday night, not quite as formal. Cue sheets are (generally) provided.

    Mike
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  3. #2003
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cointelpro View Post
    Sorry for the semi-jack but I'll be in Howard County for the next week and was wondering if anyone could recommend some places where I could hunt around for an old 80s road bike. I tried going to Race Pace Bicycles today but it was a little too high-end for me and my wallet.
    If you want to rent a bike try Light Street Bicycles if you are after a cheep used bike try Velocipede Bike Project
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  4. #2004
    Senior Member veloellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Princeton Sports - their Columbia store) has Tuesday night rides. A group leaves at 6PM - 16 - 22MPH. Another group leaves at 6:30PM - its an 18 mile ride for women preparing for the triathlon (although anyone can ride it). MY husband and I plan on doing the 18 miler tonight.

  5. #2005
    Villainous huerro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Austin
    My Bikes
    Trek 420, Cyclops
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Human Car View Post
    If you want to rent a bike try Light Street Bicycles if you are after a cheep used bike try Velocipede Bike Project
    Do you know if Velocipede has a die to thread a fork? I just got a new headset and now I need another 1/4 inch of threads.

  6. #2006
    Throttle dspaff088's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ellicott City Md
    My Bikes
    2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veloellen View Post
    Princeton Sports - their Columbia store) has Tuesday night rides. A group leaves at 6PM - 16 - 22MPH. Another group leaves at 6:30PM - its an 18 mile ride for women preparing for the triathlon (although anyone can ride it). MY husband and I plan on doing the 18 miler tonight.
    what is the pace of the 6:30 group? and do you know what kind of route?

    also... where are u going to the store from? perhaps we could ride in a group to the store

  7. #2007
    Senior Member veloellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dspaff088 View Post
    what is the pace of the 6:30 group? and do you know what kind of route?

    also... where are u going to the store from? perhaps we could ride in a group to the store
    This is my first time doing this ride. My husbands' parents live in Columbia (Wilde Lake) so we are going to bike from their house. I think you could call the store and get more info from someone there.

  8. #2008
    Throttle dspaff088's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ellicott City Md
    My Bikes
    2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veloellen View Post
    This is my first time doing this ride. My husbands' parents live in Columbia (Wilde Lake) so we are going to bike from their house. I think you could call the store and get more info from someone there.

    alright cool, ive only been road biking for a few weeks... mountain biking for about a year.

    I just dont want to get my *** kicked too bad, or get left in the dust

  9. #2009
    Senior Member veloellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as I'm there you'll be fine - haha!

  10. #2010
    Throttle dspaff088's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ellicott City Md
    My Bikes
    2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veloellen View Post
    As long as I'm there you'll be fine - haha!
    haha alright, yeah i just called over to princeton... and the second ride sounds more tailored to my skill level.

    ill be there on my black and blue tirreno razza, cycling shorts and t shirt...

    struggling to keep with the pack haha...

    first group ride btw, any etiquette i should know of?

  11. #2011
    Senior Member veloellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for us - I'll be in black shorts and so will my husband - heheh. I am old, fat and short in a yellow cycling shirt. My husband (Jim) is tall and thin - black and red Colnago jersey. I'll be on a Silver Trek. Look for us - we'll give you some pointers.

  12. #2012
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How'd the Princeton ride go, dspaff? Hope to see you at the Glenwood ride tonight, or maybe tomorrow if the weather doesn't hold. Tall guy, riding a white Salsa Campeon if you make it.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  13. #2013
    Throttle dspaff088's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ellicott City Md
    My Bikes
    2006 Tirreno Razza 3.0, 2007 Schwinn DH 2.0
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerMike View Post
    How'd the Princeton ride go, dspaff? Hope to see you at the Glenwood ride tonight, or maybe tomorrow if the weather doesn't hold. Tall guy, riding a white Salsa Campeon if you make it.
    it went very well for my first road group ride. finished pretty quickly and kept up with the pace... i didnt hava a car so i had to ride to and from princeton for the ride... putting me at almost 40 miles. I feel alright today but i think i may only ride for an hour or so tonight (very lightly). I will try to come on thursday i believe. you probably posted the mileage and pace but i cant see it right now... so what are they? lol hope to see you thursday... with a fresh pair of legs

  14. #2014
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MD peeps,

    What is Liberty Rd. like between Wards Chapel and Sykesville rd?
    Planning on linking up with a BBC ride at Liberty highschool.
    I would likely encounter this stretch very early AM sunday, then again later that afternoon.
    http://tinyurl.com/5epgeg

    Am I dead meat? Doesn't seem like any other route NW/SE in there.

    -GB
    Last edited by greaterbrown; 07-30-08 at 12:56 PM.

  15. #2015
    Senior Member donhaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chesapeake Beach, Maryland USA
    My Bikes
    GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope
    Posts
    464
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anybody here ride in southern AA Co. or Northern CAL Co.

    Back in May I moved from my digs in the Odenton / Severn area and planted myself in Clavert County in Chesapeake Beach. There are lots of great roads to ride in this area and was wondering if any of you Marylanders are from this area or ride here often.

    I'm getting more settled into the new place and I think I can try to get out on the bike again some more now. I'm determined to ride at least three nights a week and at least once on the weekend for a little longer ride.

    I have really packed on the pounds since last year and need to get on the stick pretty bad.

    Cheers from Chesapeake Beach

  16. #2016
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    MD peeps,

    What is Liberty Rd. like between Wards Chapel and Sykesville rd?
    Planning on linking up with a BBC ride at Liberty highschool.
    I would likely encounter this stretch very early AM sunday, then again later that afternoon.
    http://tinyurl.com/5epgeg

    Am I dead meat? Doesn't seem like any other route NW/SE in there.

    -GB
    Heck forget about Liberty Rd, what are you doing on North Ave???

    It's been over a few years since I've been that way but if my memory is correct there is a 3-4' shoulder that gets a bit tight when a big fast truck goes by and once you get into town it goes into a 4 lane road with no shoulders and a 50mph speed limit. Basically it's an ok route.

    Since you are using Google Maps there is something cool you can do now. Paste this
    into the search bar and then save to your maps. What this does is gives you a layer to turn on or off of the Bicycle Level of Comfort (BLOC) of roads that were surveyed and is there every time you open Google Maps. If you zoom in on the area in question a nice green alternate (a bit longer) route pops up.

    Notes: Green and yellow are good biking roads, red is generally not that good to bike on but the BLOC does not take into account cars ability to go around you. So for the VC multi lanes roads, universal turn lanes or frequent breaks in on coming traffic can be comfortable as well.
    Last edited by The Human Car; 07-30-08 at 02:33 PM.
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  17. #2017
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,199
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad. I am using Druid Park/Gwynns Falls/Franklintown to get out of town. Just didn't make the changes in gmaps because I knew my way in that section. -GB
    2013: quit counting 2012 FG century count: 4 2011 century count: ~20 2010 mileage: 10,239 2009 mileage: 8127 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  18. #2018
    Senior Member cointelpro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Human Car View Post
    If you want to rent a bike try Light Street Bicycles if you are after a cheep used bike try Velocipede Bike Project
    Wow, thanks for the info. Learning about Velocipede makes me wish I lived in Bmore. That place sounds so cool.
    Right of way is determined by velocity and tonnage. Pedestrians are at the bottom of the list.

  19. #2019
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dspaff088 View Post
    it went very well for my first road group ride. finished pretty quickly and kept up with the pace... i didnt hava a car so i had to ride to and from princeton for the ride... putting me at almost 40 miles. I feel alright today but i think i may only ride for an hour or so tonight (very lightly). I will try to come on thursday i believe. you probably posted the mileage and pace but i cant see it right now... so what are they? lol hope to see you thursday... with a fresh pair of legs
    Glad to hear it went well. If you have to ride to the ride start, Glenwood may be a bit far for you if you are in Columbia proper. The Thursday night rides are informal and the pace is generally 14-16mph. As of this morning, I haven't seen anyone say anything about tonight, so I'm not even sure its going to happen. I'll check back later and PM you.

    Mike
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  20. #2020
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cointelpro View Post
    Wow, thanks for the info. Learning about Velocipede makes me wish I lived in Bmore. That place sounds so cool.
    Just in case some interested people missed this, check out the photos and the Signal broadcast on YPR

    I think it's cool that an old car garage is getting a second life as a bike co-op, and then it just gets better.

    A lot of bike things are just budding in Baltimore. I don't think we have arrived at being cool just yet, but there is so much potential all around and that alone accounts for something.
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  21. #2021
    Got another new bike
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    dundalk, md
    My Bikes
    pacific elite 3.1 w/upgrades and street slicks, got an iron horse maverick now, cannondale sr800, gt gtr pro rival
    Posts
    584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long time, no talk to, computer had issues.

    I have finally ordered my new bike, GTR GT Pro rival, be here in a week.
    $1700, plus $170 in point, you can't beat that.
    I got the wife and my mom into biking, wife is even looking at a Felt road bike and is getting new gloves, helmet, shorts and jersey. My mom want to go to the bike store to look at bikes also as she wants a road bike.

    How great is this!


    She and I have been on several rides, today was the longest for us together. We did loch raven, 750 feet of climbing, 11 miles total, loch raven to cromwell to goucher and turned around. she did realy good, never bailed on her 10yo mountain bike with knobbies.
    http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=18239

    2 more things
    -wife wants slicks on the mtb
    -she said my pb superfash is too dim, so at some point I will be getting a dionotte 140l, woo hoo.

    So what did everyone else do this weekend?

  22. #2022
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Stone Harbor Rides?

    Hi Veloellen,

    Did you find some nice routes out of Stone Harbor while you were on vacation? I am from Maryland as well and venture to Sea Isle City, NJ at least twice a year. I usually get in over 200 miles for the week and have discovered some nice routes throughout Cape May area and have even ventured north towards Mays Landing. Sometimes you will get lucky and find someone else to ride with, which makes the ride more enjoyable. As far as Maryland cycling, I am from St. Mary's County, and mostly cycle in St. Mary's, Calvert, and Charles Counties.

  23. #2023
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,441
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
    Hey Charlie,
    You're already gone but I'm heading to Canada for the Route Verte as well. I'm flying up to Quebec City on the 29th .
    Harry
    Hey folks: I returned this week. Great cities, Montreal and Quebec. Quebec has a real old city feel and look. Nice bike trails along rivers and canals. Some trails, though not a lot in the downtown center. Montreal on the other hand is a bicyclist mecca as well as a funky town. You gotta love a town that has bike racks overflowing. At times it was hard to find a place to park the bikes. It was obvious that bikes belong on the streets and get respect from motorist. My wife never rides on the streets but felt(and was) safe from cars. City planners should look at their model for street routes and driver education. It probably has more to do with their auto operators than anything.
    Route Verte, Lachine canal, Le petite train du Nord, Jacque Cartier and other trails were all in excellent condition and handled the rain quite well. There was a lot of rain but a lot of sun and excellent temps...forgot what humidity felt like. Great to be back and it seems like the local weather ain't too shabby but the the local creme brulee ain't up to par Charlie
    PS: Camera sucked, still trying to retrieve images.
    Hey Harry I didn't see you

  24. #2024
    Senior Member veloellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdaugherty View Post
    Hi Veloellen,

    Did you find some nice routes out of Stone Harbor while you were on vacation? I am from Maryland as well and venture to Sea Isle City, NJ at least twice a year. I usually get in over 200 miles for the week and have discovered some nice routes throughout Cape May area and have even ventured north towards Mays Landing. Sometimes you will get lucky and find someone else to ride with, which makes the ride more enjoyable. As far as Maryland cycling, I am from St. Mary's County, and mostly cycle in St. Mary's, Calvert, and Charles Counties.
    I fully intended to do the Cape May loop - easily found on different "route" sites like bikely etc. but I was at SH with my college girlfriends, one of whom brought their bike and she wanted to stick to the ocean roads. We made the mistake one day of going south into WILDWOOD - big mistake! So the next day we went north - SH, Sea Isle and into OC and back - I enjoyed that plenty!

  25. #2025
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshandlauri View Post
    Long time, no talk to, computer had issues.

    I have finally ordered my new bike, GTR GT Pro rival, be here in a week.
    $1700, plus $170 in point, you can't beat that.
    I got the wife and my mom into biking, wife is even looking at a Felt road bike and is getting new gloves, helmet, shorts and jersey. My mom want to go to the bike store to look at bikes also as she wants a road bike.

    How great is this!


    She and I have been on several rides, today was the longest for us together. We did loch raven, 750 feet of climbing, 11 miles total, loch raven to cromwell to goucher and turned around. she did realy good, never bailed on her 10yo mountain bike with knobbies.
    http://veloroutes.org/bikemaps/?route=18239

    2 more things
    -wife wants slicks on the mtb
    -she said my pb superfash is too dim, so at some point I will be getting a dionotte 140l, woo hoo.

    So what did everyone else do this weekend?

    Was it your birthday? Can't wait to see the new bike some time.

    Hey, if you rode Loch Raven on Saturday, they close Loch Raven Dr (the other end, not the end that you rode) from motor traffic on weekends, but bikes are still allowed. It's really great riding through there without having to worry about cars.
    Last edited by NoRacer; 08-03-08 at 07:55 PM.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •