Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 93 of 320 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 7983
  1. #2301
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerMike View Post
    You might be able to twist my arm in to coming over for the beer afterwards though!
    It twists more easily now, right?
    2013: quit counting • 2012 FG century count: 4 • 2011 century count: ~20 • 2010 mileage: 10,239 • 2009 mileage: 8127 • 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  2. #2302
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    It twists more easily now, right?
    You're a bad man.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  3. #2303
    Huge Member RacerMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ittybittycity, MD
    My Bikes
    2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    It twists more easily now, right?
    touchι
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.

  4. #2304
    Bike Curious.... bobby c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All - looks like we got a bit of an incentive to bike to work next year!

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...subsidy16.html

  5. #2305
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops. did I say that?

    hmmm... first round's on me, Mike.

    FWIW When I met my wife, she had just broken her collarbone from a bike accident. She dubbed her bad arm the "bum flipper". I guess I was a dutiful enough boyfriend that she kept me and married me. But I remember all too well what a hassle it was for her. Buttoning a shirt, shoelaces, cooking, showers. Ugh! As I remember, we did a lot of drinking during that time. hic
    2013: quit counting • 2012 FG century count: 4 • 2011 century count: ~20 • 2010 mileage: 10,239 • 2009 mileage: 8127 • 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  6. #2306
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    All - looks like we got a bit of an incentive to bike to work next year!

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...subsidy16.html
    I asked our HR group to ask corporate about this, but in the meantime starting 1/1/2009, I'll be more dutiful in saving my receipts for bike stuff until they figure out how they will implement the law.

    Too bad I can't claim anything, retroactively, for the past 4 years of bike commuting to/from work.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  7. #2307
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerMike View Post
    Don't think I'll be ready for the road that soon, but thanks for thinking about me. I plan on getting on the trainer this week; haven't been on a bike in nearly 3 weeks now.

    You might be able to twist my arm in to coming over for the beer afterwards though!
    PM me your phone and we'll call as we get near my house. Do you live near Catonsville? Last night I was putting on the finishing touches onto my kegerator's 're-build'. 4 stainless steel external faucets on a naturally finished oak collar. Charlie

  8. #2308
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    oops. did I say that?

    hmmm... first round's on me, Mike.

    FWIW When I met my wife, she had just broken her collarbone from a bike accident. She dubbed her bad arm the "bum flipper". I guess I was a dutiful enough boyfriend that she kept me and married me. But I remember all too well what a hassle it was for her. Buttoning a shirt, shoelaces, cooking, showers. Ugh! As I remember, we did a lot of drinking during that time. hic
    hassle!! Wiping my ***** after breaking my wrist a few years ago(bike accident) was problematic. A huge learning curve w/ many poor results. You learn to use your non-dominant side real quick. Just not quick enough.

  9. #2309
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby c View Post
    All - looks like we got a bit of an incentive to bike to work next year!

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...subsidy16.html
    One of the negs w/ this benefit is that it will prevent you from collecting other transit subsidies. So one can either get the bike tax breaks or transit subsidy. Since I ride MARC and 2 wheels I have to chose. The train subsidy is by far the better option. I ain't complaining just pointing it out in case others are in the same situation. I actually feel a little guilty collecting metro passes from SAM.

  10. #2310
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2013: quit counting • 2012 FG century count: 4 • 2011 century count: ~20 • 2010 mileage: 10,239 • 2009 mileage: 8127 • 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  11. #2311
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  12. #2312
    Cat 4 J.Lockdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gaithersburg MD
    My Bikes
    Blue RC6AL - Rival Build
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
    I asked our HR group to ask corporate about this, but in the meantime starting 1/1/2009, I'll be more dutiful in saving my receipts for bike stuff until they figure out how they will implement the law.

    Too bad I can't claim anything, retroactively, for the past 4 years of bike commuting to/from work.
    I think my employer (Local Government) is putting that in place. Have not heard the details, but since I live 4 miles from work I might just start biking all the time. I already do it a couple times a month but car works better for going to the gym after.

    Anyway I wonder if its 5 days a week or its like some certain # of days you have to bike to work in a month.
    Blog:http://e-janis.com
    2009 Blue RC8 -- SRAM Force
    2008 Blue RC6AL-- SRAM Rival

  13. #2313
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Lockdown View Post
    Anyway I wonder if its 5 days a week or its like some certain # of days you have to bike to work in a month.
    I think that you have to declare that the bike was your primary mode of transportation for any given month.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  14. #2314
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday, BBC Ride to Fawn Grove, PA - outbound data only
    Travelled 62.2 miles total

    http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/18160

    MAP

    ELEVATION (FT)

    SPEED (MPH)
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  15. #2315
    Cat 4 J.Lockdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Gaithersburg MD
    My Bikes
    Blue RC6AL - Rival Build
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
    I think that you have to declare that the bike was your primary mode of transportation for any given month.
    Yeah thats probably true. It probably wont due to till the summer, cause going to gym after work and then biking home is not that enjoyable. Either way its good information but $20 a month, I would think it would be more then that.
    Blog:http://e-janis.com
    2009 Blue RC8 -- SRAM Force
    2008 Blue RC6AL-- SRAM Rival

  16. #2316
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Lockdown View Post
    Either way its good information but $20 a month, I would think it would be more then that.
    Yeah, $20 is not much, but better than nothing.

    If I puncture a Tufo tubular clincher tire, that's $75 bucks right there.



    Tufo C Elite Ride 23 Tubular Clincher Road Tire

    The popular Elite road gets a face lift for a tougher, all-season tire. Grooves through tread and diamond tread on shoulders ensures excellent performance in wet weather. Puncture proof ply and tread overlapping onto the sidewall provide excellent flat resistance. 210 tpi.

    Tubular Clinchers have all of the advantages of a tubular tire (i.e. no pinch flats), yet they are built to fit on a standard clincher wheel. Installation requires no glue, no tools, and even no rim tape. Now everyone can experience the speed and ease of a tubular tire, without shelling out the cash for a new pair of wheels. The inside of the rim, wall to wall needs to between 13-15mm to use this product.

    NOTE: the valves stems on these tires are approximately 32mm. They can be extended using a Tufo Valve Extender (see related products below).NOTE: THESE ARE TUBULAR CLINCHER TIRES FOR CLINCHER RIMS ONLY AND NOT REGULAR TUBULAR TIRES - PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT VERSION CHOSEN BEFORE PLACING YOUR ORDER.

    Buy 3 or more and Save 5%
    Buy 6 or more and Save 10%

    MSRP: $96.00 | Your Price: $74.95
    You Save: 22%
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  17. #2317
    Senior Member angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
    ...
    If I puncture a Tufo tubular clincher tire, that's $75 bucks right there.
    ...
    Wait a second. Did I read that right? How can tire be both a tubular and clincher? Isn't that an "either/or" kind of thing?

    Actually, I have a question for those of you that ride patapsco valley. I've seen at least one ride on bikely that goes from Levering @ rt 1, past the thomas viaduct, and all the way up river rd going past where it appears to end on google maps and all the way to Bonnie Branch road.

    Question:

    Is this wise to attempt on a road bike or is it some kind of bushwack singletrack experience? I am thinking of trying it this week on my way home, but don't want to get all the way in and then turn around if it is not doable.

  18. #2318
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Wait a second. Did I read that right? How can tire be both a tubular and clincher? Isn't that an "either/or" kind of thing?
    Hey, dude! Where ya been?! Haven't seen a post by you in a long time.

    Anyway, no, it's not an either/or situation. It's reality. It's a tubular tire with a clinch block built into the inner circumference of the tire.

    Quote Originally Posted by www.tufonorthamerica.com
    TUFO TUBULAR TIRES FOR CLINCHER RIMS:
    • totally new, revolutionary construction

    • low rolling resistance

    • no need for rim liner

    • low weight

    • no need to use glue

    • the easiest and fastest installation from all types of tires, no tools required

    • possibility of high inflation pressures

    • distinctly the safest behavior in case of flats without endangering the stability of the rider

    • in case of emergency can be ridden flat

    • immediate use after installation

    • construction and compactness is equal to tubular tires, riding properties are very close to tubular tires as well

    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  19. #2319
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Severn, MD
    My Bikes
    Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Actually, I have a question for those of you that ride patapsco valley. I've seen at least one ride on bikely that goes from Levering @ rt 1, past the thomas viaduct, and all the way up river rd going past where it appears to end on google maps and all the way to Bonnie Branch road.

    Question:

    Is this wise to attempt on a road bike or is it some kind of bushwack singletrack experience? I am thinking of trying it this week on my way home, but don't want to get all the way in and then turn around if it is not doable.
    I rode to the end of River Road with a friend of mine about a month ago. It wasn't bushwhack single track, but it was definitely dirt and somewhat gravelly/small-rocky. We were getting jarred a bit. I was on my 'cross bike with 25c tires. If I had been more in the mood (I wasn't feeling well that day, and my friend and I wanted a SUPER-mellow ride) and maybe if I had been on the touring bike with the 32c tires, we might have explored further, but we pretty quickly said, "Ah, screw this, let's go back to the nice asphalt!" So I don't know how much further that dirt portion lasted.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win until you're not afraid to lose.

  20. #2320
    Senior Member balto charlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltimore/DC
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    Actually, I have a question for those of you that ride patapsco valley. I've seen at least one ride on bikely that goes from Levering @ rt 1, past the thomas viaduct, and all the way up river rd going past where it appears to end on google maps and all the way to Bonnie Branch road.

    Question:

    Is this wise to attempt on a road bike or is it some kind of bushwack singletrack experience? I am thinking of trying it this week on my way home, but don't want to get all the way in and then turn around if it is not doable.
    If you take Levering into the park on the HoCo side you have to cross the river to the BAlto side, turn left onto the Grist Mill Trail ride out of the park(towards Ellicott City), cross the Patapsco(cool bridge) to a left onto Illchester/River rd., then right onto Bonnie B. If you take Levering all the way towards Bonnie branch it will get single track, then it will be a carry regardless of which bike you ride, even a FS downhill. This is the trail that made me buy a mnt bike back in the mid 80'S. It was an old Grant Peterson-Bridgestone MB. Still have it today, though it is one beat up MF. I hope to restore it to a SS in the near future. Charlie

  21. #2321
    Senior Member HC203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Baltimore,MD
    My Bikes
    Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
    Saturday, BBC Ride to Fawn Grove, PA - outbound data only
    Travelled 62.2 miles total

    http://bimactive.com/ba/journal/post/10783/18160

    MAP

    ELEVATION (FT)

    SPEED (MPH)
    That Fawn Grove ride is nice. Did it back in February with BBC. I rode to the start, about five miles, then rode Loch Raven Rd. a bit before the ride. My gps said something like 5600. I know the ride is 4+k.
    I gotta get out on more of those bbc rides.

  22. #2322
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm...the warmth of alcohol.

    Got a route that seems right for the brew pub ride.
    Starts at the Conservatory at Druid Hill. (easy to park, close to Metro, easy to ride from, and hopefully more centrally located for everyone).
    From there we head west for our 1st beer in Ellicott City
    2nd beer is at Charlie's in Catonsville and 3rd in Fells Pt at DuClaw.
    Then back to the start (if you parked there) or leave directly for home if you're headed to Essex or back to Catonsville. Metro and Light Rail are also not far.

    the route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/213201
    2013: quit counting • 2012 FG century count: 4 • 2011 century count: ~20 • 2010 mileage: 10,239 • 2009 mileage: 8127 • 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  23. #2323
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Severn, MD
    My Bikes
    Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520
    Posts
    841
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
    Mmmm...the warmth of alcohol.

    Got a route that seems right for the brew pub ride.
    Starts at the Conservatory at Druid Hill. (easy to park, close to Metro, easy to ride from, and hopefully more centrally located for everyone).
    From there we head west for our 1st beer in Ellicott City
    2nd beer is at Charlie's in Catonsville and 3rd in Fells Pt at DuClaw.
    Then back to the start (if you parked there) or leave directly for home if you're headed to Essex or back to Catonsville. Metro and Light Rail are also not far.

    the route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/213201
    So, this route takes us down Ilchester rather than up? But, I see, up *** Road . . . I'll need a half hour head start. And an oxygen tent at the top.

    I'll have to ponder logistics . . . I live in Catonsville (very near Charlie, actually) and have to be near Towson (in "normal" clothes) in the early/mid evening. What time are we pushing off from Druid Hill Park?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win until you're not afraid to lose.

  24. #2324
    4130 on 28's at 15 greaterbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Charm City
    Posts
    1,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maxine View Post
    So, this route takes us down Ilchester rather than up? But, I see, up *** Road . . .
    Actually, we dodge ilchester hill completely. We'll ride a bit along the top flat section but, I took Charlie's advice and went up College ave instead. and that Lawyers Hill/*** rd. part I actually have never ridden. That section, also, is by Charlie's approval. If I ride my fixie, we'll be fighting for the oxygen inhaler.

    As far as timing... Ellicott Mills doesn't open until 11:30AM on sunday. It's about 15mi away, so, I'd go for a 10:30AM push off time. How long at the pubs? An hour? Maybe I'll try it this way...
    10:30AM push off (15mi)
    11:30AM 1st drinks at Ellicott Mills
    12:30PM push off (13mi)
    1:30PM 2nd drink at Charlie's
    2:45PM push off (9mi)
    3:30PM 3rd drinks at DuClaw
    4:30PM push off (6mi)
    5:00PM back again

    Obviously, any of this can be compressed or expanded as we like. From Fells Pt., each of us can decide where and when to head out.

    Maxine, I live just around the corner from Druid Hill in Hampden. You are quite welcome to use our house as a changing station. If you want to bring your fresh clothes with you and leave them in the car, you could change (even shower, if you want) and then head up to Towson. No problem.

    psyched.
    Last edited by greaterbrown; 10-23-08 at 03:47 PM.
    2013: quit counting • 2012 FG century count: 4 • 2011 century count: ~20 • 2010 mileage: 10,239 • 2009 mileage: 8127 • 2008 mileage: 7157

    Surly Cross Check - Kogswell P/R G2 - COHO
    THE RANDO RAMBLE . . . (blogs) . . . BIKING, BEER and TOAST

  25. #2325
    Senior Member angelo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD.
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
    If you take Levering into the park on the HoCo side you have to cross the river to the BAlto side, turn left onto the Grist Mill Trail ride out of the park(towards Ellicott City), cross the Patapsco(cool bridge) to a left onto Illchester/River rd., then right onto Bonnie B. If you take Levering all the way towards Bonnie branch it will get single track, then it will be a carry regardless of which bike you ride, even a FS downhill. This is the trail that made me buy a mnt bike back in the mid 80'S. It was an old Grant Peterson-Bridgestone MB. Still have it today, though it is one beat up MF. I hope to restore it to a SS in the near future. Charlie
    Thanks everybody,

    The other day I did ride partially through there, but I turned from river (levering side) to *** rd. I found I could take *** all the way to sulphur spring, go through the town of Arbutus, then joh ave, crossing caton ave, going all the way down the hill into an industrial area along Wilkens near the Gwynns Falls trailhead. I never went that way before, but now I have an alternative commute route to Baltimore! Though, at night, I might prefer to take wilkens into the city rather than the trail which is spooky. Here's the bikely link.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •