Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northeast Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-07, 05:38 PM   #551
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
I may head to Virginia for the "easy" DC RAND century.

Hmm 119 miles from my house. Nah.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 06:43 PM   #552
Marylandnewbie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Bikes: Fuji Supreme
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night's rain sucked but at least I was carrying a pair of "waterproof" tights so I could stop and put them on. Tonight's ride was just a king sized pain. I dressed for it, but even with that by the end of the ride my feet were soaked and cold and it was miserable. I remember when winter meant snow not sleet, freezing rain and other crap!
Marylandnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 08:49 PM   #553
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath
Hmm 119 miles from my house. Nah.

-D
Yeah. I'm having second thoughts. Tomorrow's ride starts too early to be thawed out in time for the ride and isobars show high winds for the area.

I think I'll get comfy on my rollers instead.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 08:59 PM   #554
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Yeah. I'm having second thoughts. Tomorrow's ride starts too early to be thawed out in time for the ride and isobars show high winds for the area.

I think I'll get comfy on my rollers instead.

My inlaws are in town. I will do just about anything to get out of the house. I think I will finally explore the fire roads around Liberty Reservior. Apparently there are like 50 miles of fire roads going around it. I have the big knobbies on the old Mtn Bike so it could be fun. It will be cold, and I will likely even get rained on. Still beats hanging around the house

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 06:01 AM   #555
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandnewbie
Last night's rain sucked but at least I was carrying a pair of "waterproof" tights so I could stop and put them on. Tonight's ride was just a king sized pain. I dressed for it, but even with that by the end of the ride my feet were soaked and cold and it was miserable. I remember when winter meant snow not sleet, freezing rain and other crap!
Hey Newbie: Rain...I saw only sleet. It felt like I was getting shot w/ BBs. I wish I had my visor on my helmet to shield my face.
Did anyone ride today/Sat?? Looks pretty nasty out there. I think I'll just sip my coffee today. Sun is out so it might make tomorrow bike-able.
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 03:17 PM   #556
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ok, so Mountain biking in the slushy muddly snow is HELLA FUN. It is also really hard...

The roads actually looked ok enough that I will probably do a road ride tomorrow.

Oh, and I gotta find a better cold weather footwear solution for next year. I have gotten almost addicted to this cold weather riding, but I also like to be able to feel my toes.

-D

Last edited by derath; 03-17-07 at 03:40 PM.
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 12:09 PM   #557
RacerMike
Huge Member
 
RacerMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ittybittycity, MD
Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone planning on doing the HoCoCyclists Wednesday night ride from Folly Quarter Middle School? Thursday on looks like some serious good cycling weather.
__________________
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.
RacerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 08:53 PM   #558
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone up for some mountain climbing this Saturday?

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/22706 <--- EDIT to add new map

Last edited by NoRacer; 03-20-07 at 06:28 AM.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-07, 10:28 PM   #559
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you up to doing the route twice and I’ll do it once and we should finish near the same time. (I am only half serious.)

Well on my own small milestones my YTD odometer finally hit 4 digits two weeks ago so I am feeling pretty good, still not a hill climbing speedster but I’m getting some mileage in.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 08:09 AM   #560
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Anyone up for some mountain climbing this Saturday?

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/22706 <--- EDIT to add new map

Wow, Looks awesome. Maybe in a couple of months. I don't think my legs are quite up to that yet.

Dan
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:30 AM   #561
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath
Wow, Looks awesome. Maybe in a couple of months. I don't think my legs are quite up to that yet.

Dan
I tried to fix up the Cue Sheet. It was not able to be followed on the first map. The second map is better, but not perfect enough for my tastes. Oh well. It'll have to do, because it's a real PITA to fix it after it's already been drawn vs. as it's being drawn.

Bikely lets you insert points, so I could start the map at Thurmont Park. It was a PITA to add a Start/Finish to it after the initial drawing.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 09:41 AM   #562
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
I tried to fix up the Cue Sheet. It was not able to be followed on the first map. The second map is better, but not perfect enough for my tastes. Oh well. It'll have to do, because it's a real PITA to fix it after it's already been drawn vs. as it's being drawn.

Bikely lets you insert points, so I could start the map at Thurmont Park. It was a PITA to add a Start/Finish to it after the initial drawing.
Yea, like I said, looks fun. But I am gonna need another month or so to get my legs back to 100%. Not too hard to do with the hills in my area.

Plus I already have a ride scheduled for saturday, so I couldn't go anyway. Enjoy it though.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 10:04 AM   #563
RacerMike
Huge Member
 
RacerMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ittybittycity, MD
Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath

Plus I already have a ride scheduled for saturday, so I couldn't go anyway. Enjoy it though.

-D
Hmmm...details?
__________________
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
If you're faster than me, you're fast. If you're not, you suck.
RacerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 12:14 PM   #564
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerMike
Hmmm...details?

Same as it has been the last few weekends. Columbia triathlon route

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2209415

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 04:26 PM   #565
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
One word. WINDY!!! I swear I had at least one gust hit me broadside and knock me 2 feet to the left.

I was shooting for 25 miles. Only got 15.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/e...kValue=2286206

Also Mike, I forgot my bud that has been riding in columbia with me on saturdays is in GA this weekend running a marathon. So I guess i don't have plans.

[edit]

Almost forgot. I had a lunch meeting today. I can now say definitively that Sushi is not the best pre-ride meal.


-D

Last edited by derath; 03-20-07 at 04:50 PM.
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 05:51 PM   #566
donhaller 
Senior Member
 
donhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chesapeake Beach, Maryland USA
Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a great area to ride. We had a TNT ride out that way two weeks ago. there are some nice hills out west of that area. Here is our ride.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=2221665
donhaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 05:58 PM   #567
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes it is. I still prefer the roads near my house. Similar kinds of hills. Better road surfaces. Less traffic.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 06:30 PM   #568
donhaller 
Senior Member
 
donhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chesapeake Beach, Maryland USA
Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath
Yes it is. I still prefer the roads near my house. Similar kinds of hills. Better road surfaces. Less traffic.

-D
We had little or no traffic, and very rural out there in the Glenwood area.
donhaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 06:33 PM   #569
donhaller 
Senior Member
 
donhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chesapeake Beach, Maryland USA
Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my home town ride from tonight

Pretty flat all the way, but a great easy night out on the bike rather than riding the trainer indoors!!!
I'm getting sick of riding in my basement about now!!

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=2286688
donhaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-07, 06:55 PM   #570
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhaller
We had little or no traffic, and very rural out there in the Glenwood area.
I'm not saying it's bad out there. But I just like it up near me better. Probably also because I can just roll from the front door.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 06:05 AM   #571
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Anyone up for some mountain climbing this Saturday?

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/22706 <--- EDIT to add new map
Well, I've decided, after seeing the BBC's ride schedule, that I'll be riding with them this weekend. They have decent rides both Saturday and Sunday (lower York county ride and a ride to Delta, respectively). Both are half the distance that I've usually been doing, so this gives me a chance to check out my strenghts and weaknesses.

I'll ride the mountains when it gets much warmer and the trees are full of Spring growth.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 06:18 AM   #572
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Well, I've decided, after seeing the BBC's ride schedule, that I'll be riding with them this weekend. They have decent rides both Saturday and Sunday (lower York county ride and a ride to Delta, respectively). Both are half the distance that I've usually been doing, so this gives me a chance to check out my strenghts and weaknesses.

I'll ride the mountains when it gets much warmer and the trees are full of Spring growth.
And by then I should be back in shape to keep you company

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 08:40 AM   #573
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath
And by then I should be back in shape to keep you company

-D
That'd be cool. Maybe other local BF members would be interested by then, too. !BF Photo-Op!
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:36 AM   #574
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer
That'd be cool. Maybe other local BF members would be interested by then, too. !BF Photo-Op!
Definitely! I do enjoy riding out around Thurmont. Last big BF ride I did last year (Lancaster covered bridge) I forgot my camera

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 09:58 AM   #575
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath
Definitely! I do enjoy riding out around Thurmont. Last big BF ride I did last year (Lancaster covered bridge) I forgot my camera

-D
I saw rumblings about that in Foo. Rumor has it that BDG may go on a road trip with her girlfriend and include that ride as one of her stops.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.