Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northeast (http://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/)
-   -   Where are the MD peoples (http://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/225536-where-md-peoples.html)

NoRacer 10-27-10 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greaterbrown (Post 11687624)
In fact. :D last monday, I gave a check out ride to this: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/468931. With some more tweaking, this will hopefully become the November 14th ride. It includes several miles of backwoods unpaved road. Super fun.

Whooooo! Catchy name--Pancake Interception! :thumb:

greaterbrown 10-27-10 12:21 PM

"The Pancake Interception": there is another ride that day, I believe a casual speed ride, that is headed to the Union Bridge Fire House for all you can eat pancake breakfast. Well, I couldn't pass up that idea. So, this ride leaves earlier and heads up from Baltimore. If we can manage to keep a steady pace and only a very short break, we can get up there by 11AM for brunch. Slurp slurp.

Yesterday, I rode Steve Zeldin's ride (188 miles for Mon&Tues, not bad). A Ramble regular, Tiffany, was riding. I talked briefly to her about my including unpaved roads into the Rambles. ( BTW she rides 23mm tires on her carbon roadbike). She was super in favor of it and gave me a guarantee she'd be there. Very cool.

In spite of this encouragement, I am going to do my best to create two cuesheets- one with the unpaved sections and another with paved detours.
Trying to please everyone. -GB

shorthanded 10-27-10 04:18 PM

thanks noracer and greaterbrown! just contacted the local century folks, and i've been sneetchin' the frederick pedalers cue sheets for a while now. :D dc rando is next, for sure, and i'm sure i'll meet some folks through RUSA too.

any folks around the forum who ride up here and LIKE doing gravel farm roads? i'm just looking to gather up the serious rural ramblers for good weekend jaunts and not necessarily ride with the roadies who chuckle at my fenders and steel :o

NoRacer 10-28-10 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shorthanded (Post 11690657)
any folks around the forum who ride up here and LIKE doing gravel farm roads? i'm just looking to gather up the serious rural ramblers for good weekend jaunts and not necessarily ride with the roadies who chuckle at my fenders and steel :o

You'll fit right in with the DC RAND folks with steel and fenders.

There's these rides (if you are "century fit"), this Saturday and Sunday, if you are interested:

http://dccenturyrides.blogspot.com/2...0-31-2010.html

NOTE: Chuck and Crista (rider leaders on tandem) are advertising ~ 9,700 ft of climbing for Saturday. They are leaving from the parking lot at the War Correspondent's Arch on Arnoldstown Rd in Burkittsville, so you'll need to be prepared to do a lot of climbing and for the final insult (read: climb) back up to the arch at the end of the ride. It sounds very tempting to me, but I'm not 100%--my usual Fall attack of the coughs and congestion--so I'm not sure if I'm ready to do this ride--but it's very tempting.

Nadric 10-28-10 06:38 AM

Hey all, new to the forum. Up in Abingdon / Bel Air myself.

Haven't had a bike since I joined the military and sold my old Giant Warp DS1 back in 03. Just ordered up a cheapy SSFG Kilo TT to get back into things. Can't wait till it gets here :D

Looking at getting a road bike as well some time soon, and probably another MTB again. Just don't have the money lying around to get them all at once ;)

cehowardGS 10-28-10 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greaterbrown (Post 11687582)
Way to go ce. I am moving in the opposite direction each day, from Hampden to New Town. I ride the whole distance these days, but I must admit that without the metro as an option I probably would never have built up to riding straight through. The metro is what made it possible to bike commute every single day.

Cool man..:) I catch h*ll everyday riding just about 3 blocks up Lyons Mill road.. There is no shoulder and the fools in the cages really don't give you any room. On Tuesday when I rode home, on that stretch of Lyons Mill road, I got in the CENTER..The cages honk, but I didn't get any close passes..

BTW, I usually go to lunch at Cross Street Market. I ride from Cold Spring and Park Heights down to the market, All down hill!! :D. Also, I visit my favorite LBS Light Street Cycles..

See you around, and safe peddlin to you,

shorthanded 10-28-10 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRacer (Post 11693454)
You'll fit right in with the DC RAND folks with steel and fenders.

There's these rides (if you are "century fit"), this Saturday and Sunday, if you are interested:

http://dccenturyrides.blogspot.com/2...0-31-2010.html

NOTE: Chuck and Crista (rider leaders on tandem) are advertising ~ 9,700 ft of climbing for Saturday. They are leaving from the parking lot at the War Correspondent's Arch on Arnoldstown Rd in Burkittsville, so you'll need to be prepared to do a lot of climbing and for the final insult (read: climb) back up to the arch at the end of the ride. It sounds very tempting to me, but I'm not 100%--my usual Fall attack of the coughs and congestion--so I'm not sure if I'm ready to do this ride--but it's very tempting.

i SAW that... i just got set up on their listserv ;) THAT sounds pretty brutal, but i'm already doing a ride with the wife that day-- and she's in NO way equipped to do that, physiologically, spiritually, or otherwise... BUT.. i seriously thought about giving it a whirl.. if we get one windy day, foliage'll be over this week, i think.. so it'd be an amazing time to do that ride!

hrmph.. well-- i'm gonna have to earmark one soon. they fun folks to ride with?

NoRacer 10-29-10 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shorthanded (Post 11697766)
hrmph.. well-- i'm gonna have to earmark one soon. they fun folks to ride with?

Yeah, they're great to ride with. I've been riding with them for about 3-4 years, now. Most are not too speedy, but they can go the distance. Some have ridden Paris-Brest-Paris (PBP), one of the more famous of rando rides (1,200 KM), if not -the- most famous, so these folks are very capable over distance rides.

NoRacer 10-29-10 10:23 AM

EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! This weekend's Saturday ride looks scary:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/940610

Check out the elevation profile.

shorthanded 10-29-10 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRacer (Post 11699766)
Yeah, they're great to ride with. I've been riding with them for about 3-4 years, now. Most are not too speedy, but they can go the distance. Some have ridden Paris-Brest-Paris (PBP), one of the more famous of rando rides (1,200 KM), if not -the- most famous, so these folks are very capable over distance rides.

aw hell-- i'm not too worried about speedy-- the guys i usually ride with and i run averages of about 15 if we even bother to check.. (no computer here.. doh!). alright alright... mebbe i'll see if i can get in on the mid november rides. i haven't done a century in about 2 decades.. but with enough food and water, i reckon i'd survive it at first... although i'd be sore. :D gotta start someplace.

greaterbrown 10-29-10 04:08 PM

Charlie, You still planning on riding the Halloween ride? Teresa, unfortunately, has decided against it. I'll be there though. -B

maxine 10-29-10 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greaterbrown (Post 11689174)
"The Pancake Interception": there is another ride that day, I believe a casual speed ride, that is headed to the Union Bridge Fire House for all you can eat pancake breakfast. Well, I couldn't pass up that idea. So, this ride leaves earlier and heads up from Baltimore. If we can manage to keep a steady pace and only a very short break, we can get up there by 11AM for brunch. Slurp slurp.

Yesterday, I rode Steve Zeldin's ride (188 miles for Mon&Tues, not bad). A Ramble regular, Tiffany, was riding. I talked briefly to her about my including unpaved roads into the Rambles. ( BTW she rides 23mm tires on her carbon roadbike). She was super in favor of it and gave me a guarantee she'd be there. Very cool.

In spite of this encouragement, I am going to do my best to create two cuesheets- one with the unpaved sections and another with paved detours.
Trying to please everyone. -GB

Hmmm. I'll have to snag a copy of those cue sheets from you, GB. I've also been toying with hitting the pancake breakfast ride from my place -- it would be just about a century ride from my front door. Your outbound route looks like it would work nicely for me -- at least, for the stretch between Union Bridge and, roughly, Patapsco Valley State Park.

NoRacer 10-31-10 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxine (Post 11703940)
Hmmm. I'll have to snag a copy of those cue sheets from you, GB. I've also been toying with hitting the pancake breakfast ride from my place -- it would be just about a century ride from my front door. Your outbound route looks like it would work nicely for me -- at least, for the stretch between Union Bridge and, roughly, Patapsco Valley State Park.

Max, there's cuesheets with the map. Their layout is not the best, though. (Who uses compass directions to ride a bike, anyhow?)

NoRacer 10-31-10 07:23 AM

Yesterday's (Saturday's) ride:

Ghosts, Ghouls and Graveyards (actual ride data) | Bicycling in Maryland http://bit.ly/cFfMgl via @TrimbleOutdoors #cycling


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, Sunday's Ride (2 parts):

Chesapeake City, MD to Little Creek, DE - Part 1 by iodaniell at Garmin Connect - Details http://t.co/EiVQg1M #cycling in Maryland

Chesapeake City, MD to Little Creek, DE - Part 2 by iodaniell at Garmin Connect - Details http://t.co/lMPn1G4 #cycling in Maryland


NoRacer 10-31-10 06:38 PM

Hot off the presses--pics from Saturday's rando ride:

The Daily Randonneur and Bill Beck's pictures are here:

Daily Randonneur - www.flickr.com/photos/gersema/sets/72157625155923817/

Bill Beck's - www.flickr.com/photos/wabeck/sets/72157625153794839/

balto charlie 11-01-10 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greaterbrown (Post 11703193)
Charlie, You still planning on riding the Halloween ride? Teresa, unfortunately, has decided against it. I'll be there though. -B

Didn't see this last Friday. Hope you got my email, if not I whacked my knee w/ a 2 lb. maul while busting up cemented fence post. Ended up icing down my knee Saturday night. My wife was bummed that we didn't make the ride. She had costume and all. Did you ride? If so how was it. I was really looking forward to it. Missed cyclovia as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRacer (Post 11709116)
Yesterday's (Saturday's) ride:

Ghosts, Ghouls and Graveyards (actual ride data) | Bicycling in Maryland http://bit.ly/cFfMgl via @TrimbleOutdoors #cycling


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Today, Sunday's Ride (2 parts):

Chesapeake City, MD to Little Creek, DE - Part 1 by iodaniell at Garmin Connect - Details http://t.co/EiVQg1M #cycling in Maryland

Chesapeake City, MD to Little Creek, DE - Part 2 by iodaniell at Garmin Connect - Details http://t.co/lMPn1G4 #cycling in Maryland


Nice rides and pixs. I liked the picture of the brick barn, fancy. No riding for me this wknd, I'm living vicariously through your post Isaias. Thanks for posting.

greaterbrown 11-01-10 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balto charlie (Post 11713699)
Hope you got my email, if not I whacked my knee w/ a 2 lb. maul while busting up cemented fence post. Ended up icing down my knee Saturday night. My wife was bummed that we didn't make the ride. She had costume and all. Did you ride? If so how was it. I was really looking forward to it. Missed cyclovia as well.

Charlie, I did get your email. Very sorry about your knee. I would've loved the company of you and your wife. David Hoskins stopped by the frame shop on saturday and I mentioned that I was headed down to the ride after work. He left the shop, went out and assembled a great looking leprechaun outfit and was ready at 6pm at the start. I mounted a silly mask to my helmet using my two Planet Bike lights as the eyes. I'd guess about 25 riders total and everyone was very civil. The route was fine and we did get a lot of cheers from the locals. Getting into Patterson Park was nuts because of the lantern parade. Half the group stayed there with Nate and half rode with me back to city hall.

I woke up the next morning at the break of noon with a full symptom hangover. I'd stayed a few drinks too long at a friends party. I threw on some clothes and made a very queasy ride up to Roland ave for the last 45 minutes of ciclovia. It's always nice to see a street closed to auto traffic, but ciclovia just doesn't have much passion to it. (the hangover didn't help my judgements though) By the time we left I was ranting that the very people who double park on the bike lanes to get their lattes at Starbucks are the people who organize this event. Teresa got me out of there before I got punched by some upmarket Gilman graduate. :twitchy:


Quote:

Originally Posted by balto charlie (Post 11713699)
I'm living vicariously through your post Isaias. Thanks for posting.

+1 :thumb:
Been doing that for years.

BTW, I finally logged all my weekend riding last night. October mileage: 998

NoRacer 11-01-10 10:23 AM

@ Charlie, sorry to hear about the knee.

@ Bob, good job. Just 655/month to finish at 10k!

Btw, my company is making it painfully obvious that other than bike parking, they really aren't supporting the needs of bike commuters at the new facility. The big thing on my list is that there is no way to ensure that bike clothes are dry before having to go out into the elements again. They've banned ceramic heaters. In the winter, this could be devastating.

balto charlie 11-01-10 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greaterbrown (Post 11713911)

BTW, I finally logged all my weekend riding last night. October mileage: 998

I live vicariously through you too! Going to be fun watching yo get 10K for the year. 650/month seems small for you unless the weather turns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRacer (Post 11714199)
Btw, my company is making it painfully obvious that other than bike parking, they really aren't supporting the needs of bike commuters at the new facility. The big thing on my list is that there is no way to ensure that bike clothes are dry before having to go out into the elements again. They've banned ceramic heaters. In the winter, this could be devastating.

longer commute and no way to dry stuff!!! What about a fan? I would wear wool if this is the case. Still keeps you warm when it's wet. I started wearing thin wool LS shirts this season(always wore wool sweaters). I get away with wearing the tops for a few days so less wash compared to the old poly tops that stink after 1 ride.

vengeful_lemon 11-01-10 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRacer (Post 11693454)
You'll fit right in with the DC RAND folks with steel and fenders.

There's these rides (if you are "century fit"), this Saturday and Sunday, if you are interested:

http://dccenturyrides.blogspot.com/2...0-31-2010.html

NOTE: Chuck and Crista (rider leaders on tandem) are advertising ~ 9,700 ft of climbing for Saturday. They are leaving from the parking lot at the War Correspondent's Arch on Arnoldstown Rd in Burkittsville, so you'll need to be prepared to do a lot of climbing and for the final insult (read: climb) back up to the arch at the end of the ride. It sounds very tempting to me, but I'm not 100%--my usual Fall attack of the coughs and congestion--so I'm not sure if I'm ready to do this ride--but it's very tempting.


+1 for Chuck & Crista training rides. Very scenic routes, and plenty of nice folks.

maxine 11-02-10 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRacer (Post 11709104)
Max, there's cuesheets with the map. Their layout is not the best, though. (Who uses compass directions to ride a bike, anyhow?)

<< smacks forehead >> Ummmm, yeah, I knew that! :o Without looking at it too closely yet, seems like the most logical spot for me to joint the route would be near Patapsco Valley State Park.

maxine 11-02-10 05:17 AM

Charlie, I hope your knee recovers soon!

NR -- :( on the new commuting situation. We have power issues at work, too, and we're not supposed to plug in new electrical devices without approval (which is a big hassle to get.) My office is ice-cold almost all the time, and we do have a very small space heater, but it's not the sort that would help my clothes dry. I usually won't ride on days that I know I'm going to get drenched on the way in; wet clothes are never fun, but as you point out, in the winter they can be downright dangerous. I wish I could wear wool, but I can't (except, oddly, for socks); I get itchy just thinking about it! :twitchy:

NoRacer 11-02-10 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vengeful_lemon (Post 11716284)
+1 for Chuck & Crista training rides. Very scenic routes, and plenty of nice folks.

Did you do their Sunday ride from Rockville?

NoRacer 11-02-10 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxine (Post 11718217)
Charlie, I hope your knee recovers soon!

NR -- :( on the new commuting situation. We have power issues at work, too, and we're not supposed to plug in new electrical devices without approval (which is a big hassle to get.) My office is ice-cold almost all the time, and we do have a very small space heater, but it's not the sort that would help my clothes dry. I usually won't ride on days that I know I'm going to get drenched on the way in; wet clothes are never fun, but as you point out, in the winter they can be downright dangerous. I wish I could wear wool, but I can't (except, oddly, for socks); I get itchy just thinking about it! :twitchy:

Yeah... I'll "play it by ear" and adapt (as usual) to the new regime.

vengeful_lemon 11-02-10 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoRacer (Post 11718221)
Did you do their Sunday ride from Rockville?

yep. Not much of a turnout, but a great route.
Have fun on Saturday?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 PM.