Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northeast Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-08, 07:08 AM   #1526
HC203
Senior Member
 
HC203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baltimore,MD
Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Death Valley

Did a couple days of great riding in Death Valley. I was still sick, did two days and went home. I will definitely be back in October for their double century and the camp next February. Check out my blog here.
I would definitely recommend the ride.

I can't seem to shake my chest congestion and may just do the rest of my training indoors until the weather warms. I seem to be prone to this chest thing, pneumonia as a kid, bronchitis a few times etc.

http://web.mac.com/harrycampbell1/iW...7s%20Site.html
HC203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 07:41 AM   #1527
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
Did a couple days of great riding in Death Valley. I was still sick, did two days and went home. I will definitely be back in October for their double century and the camp next February. Check out my blog here.
I would definitely recommend the ride.

I can't seem to shake my chest congestion and may just do the rest of my training indoors until the weather warms. I seem to be prone to this chest thing, pneumonia as a kid, bronchitis a few times etc.

http://web.mac.com/harrycampbell1/iW...7s%20Site.html

Are you the Harry that posts on BBC Talk? I didn't know you were a BF member! Cool!

Hope you get well soon.

--
Isaias
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 08:59 AM   #1528
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerHiker View Post
Weekend ride report:
Yesterday was just raw outside so I decided to spend an hour on the trainer with Coach Troy. So, today I was anxious to get outside and ride for a while. Within 15 minutes I was cursing the wind and cold. I'm so sick of the winter!!!
Yesterday was beautiful where i live. Maybe a little cold. I didnt get out until 2:30 as I was working the Tradezone race as one of the many officials.

Even though I spent all morning and early afternoon outdoors, there was no way i was gonna make it 7 straight days on rollers. As soon as i got home, went for a nice 2 hr ride.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 09:02 AM   #1529
HC203
Senior Member
 
HC203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baltimore,MD
Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's me

Hey NoRacer,
Yes the same. Just started riding a few BBC rides late this season, hoping to get up to speed this year. I've been keeping tabs on the DC Rand rides etc. I admire your sense of commitment. I'm trying to figure out a good balance between spending time with my three kids and getting in some miles. I should at least be able to get to 5k total miles this year. See you at one of the rides this season for sure.
hc
HC203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:28 AM   #1530
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey folks Glad to see some of you on bikes this last week. Last week was a brutal commuting week especially on Friday. They close down my place of work due to an electrical problem but only after I was at work. Now I was faced with a 25 mile return bike ride as the trains only run at rush hour. This option sucked since the weather was miserable and I was on studded tires. Luckily I got a car ride halfway home and biked the remaining miles. I had to ride into work today on dry pavement w/ those frigging studs tho'. Kinda love/hate relationship. I'm trying to ride 100/week. I'm just under those numbers. Nice day for a ride yesterday, beautiful sunset as I returned from the ride.
On a final note. I have recently returned to an old hobby of mine, homebrewing. This spring we should all get together, attack the "hills of Catonsville" and return to my house for a few pints. Currently on draft is a thick stout and an ESB. Also fermenting is a pale ale. Give me 1 or 2 months to have 2 more on tap. Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:29 AM   #1531
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatguyRacer View Post
I didnt get out until 2:30 as I was working the Tradezone race as one of the many officials.
So, John, what happen to the "B" race? Why did they overshoot the field size during registration? (or, are you working as an USCF official? and that's the promoter's problem)
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:30 AM   #1532
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC203 View Post
Hey NoRacer,

See you at one of the rides this season for sure.

hc
+1
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 10:33 AM   #1533
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
I have recently returned to an old hobby of mine, homebrewing. This spring we should all get together, attack the "hills of Catonsville" and return to my house for a few pints. Currently on draft is a thick stout and an ESB. Also fermenting is a pale ale. Give me 1 or 2 months to have 2 more on tap. Charlie
I'm in! !!!!!!
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 11:13 AM   #1534
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
So, John, what happen to the "B" race? Why did they overshoot the field size during registration? (or, are you working as an USCF official? and that's the promoter's problem)
Yes, i was working as one of the USA Cycling 'blueshirts'. You cant miss me with my black Screaming Duc Racing (A bud's Moto ST Ducati racing team) ball cap. I had on a green parka for most of the day. It was frigging cold early on.

In a nutshell, the promotor oversold. Its the officials job to enforce the field limit. If not it would void the conditions of the permit and as a conseqence the insurance coverage would be void too, after the fact.

Apprently they didnt read their own flyer which states 75 rider limit. The fair thing to do was cut the riders off the end of the list, after some of the Cat 3's volunteered to bail in leiu of the A race. You cant be late for these things. If your still a 5, why not race the C, They werent THAT much slower than the B race and their field didnt fill up. Heck they caught the womens race in about 3-4 laps. It would also be a better booster for your confidence and comfort level, as i recall you got detached from the field in week 1.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 11:30 AM   #1535
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatguyRacer View Post
If your still a 5, why not race the C, They werent THAT much slower than the B race and their field didnt fill up. Heck they caught the womens race in about 3-4 laps. It would also be a better booster for your confidence and comfort level, as i recall you got detached from the field in week 1.
I'm a 4.

Yup, dropped--I did a century ride the day before that had lots of climbing.

Since the race was a "training race", I decided to train through. That was the first time I've done any type of intensity work since the end of season last year. When I thought I had enough, I dropped out. The race was my official change-over from long distance rides to quality training rides.

Last edited by NoRacer; 02-25-08 at 11:55 AM.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 11:57 AM   #1536
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
I have recently returned to an old hobby of mine, homebrewing. This spring we should all get together, attack the "hills of Catonsville" and return to my house for a few pints. Currently on draft is a thick stout and an ESB. Also fermenting is a pale ale. Give me 1 or 2 months to have 2 more on tap. Charlie
+1000

that is a hobby I keep meaning to try. Although it is probably contrary to my goals of actually losing some weight.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 12:06 PM   #1537
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As far as rides, I hit the rollers on the beautiful sunday afternoon. I was Mr mom this weekend (wife had a women's retreat). She got back sunday lunchtime and took our daghter to a birthday party. I put my 2yo son down for his nap and hit the rollers. Better than nothing.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 12:36 PM   #1538
BikerHiker
Roadie
 
BikerHiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carroll County, MD
Bikes: '07 Giant TCR Advanced 1
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
On a final note. I have recently returned to an old hobby of mine, homebrewing. This spring we should all get together, attack the "hills of Catonsville" and return to my house for a few pints. Currently on draft is a thick stout and an ESB. Also fermenting is a pale ale. Give me 1 or 2 months to have 2 more on tap. Charlie
+1
Helping people consume their homebrew is an old hobby I'd like to start up again! I'll bring some glass pints.
BikerHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 01:06 PM   #1539
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath View Post
Better than nothing.

-D
Better than a static trainer too. I made sure i got my Sat 'ride' in even though i didnt get on the the rollers until after 8pm.

I've often thought about home brewing. But i think i may be cheaper for me to just buy good beer than try and fail to make my own.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 01:07 PM   #1540
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
I'm a 4.

Yup, dropped--I did a century ride the day before that had lots of climbing.

Since the race was a "training race", I decided to train through. That was the first time I've done any type of intensity work since the end of season last year. When I thought I had enough, I dropped out. The race was my official change-over from long distance rides to quality training rides.
Whoops. Sorry mang. I didnt realize you were a 4 already.

Be early this Sunday.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 01:13 PM   #1541
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatguyRacer View Post
Better than a static trainer too. I made sure i got my Sat 'ride' in even though i didnt get on the the rollers until after 8pm.

I've often thought about home brewing. But i think i may be cheaper for me to just buy good beer than try and fail to make my own.
I'm getting a trainer too. My parents bought me one for my B'day

With the kids and work I have decided it is the only way to get some consistent workouts.

As far as home brewing, for me it isn't about saving money. It is about crafting that perfect beer.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 01:31 PM   #1542
brandenjs
WV is not flat..
 
brandenjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charles Town,Wv.
Bikes: 1 away from divorce!
Posts: 1,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here ride out in the Monrovia area of Frederick Co. I passed a group riding on Rt.75 close to 75-80 Drag strip on Sunday. I was so jealous I was driving instead of being one of them..Just wondering if any of you were part of the pack...
brandenjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 01:41 PM   #1543
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!
 
FatguyRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crownsville, MD
Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath View Post
I'm getting a trainer too. My parents bought me one for my B'day

With the kids and work I have decided it is the only way to get some consistent workouts.

As far as home brewing, for me it isn't about saving money. It is about crafting that perfect beer.

-D
It works out that way too without kids. By the time i have to gear up for a cold, dark evening ride, i can just as well slip down to the basement and jump on rollers. Im really glad my wife got them for me for xmas. I wish i had had a set long before, or i wouldnt be known as FatguyRacer.
__________________
John

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
FatguyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 02:19 PM   #1544
popsicleian
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes:
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I drove up and rode for a couple of hours on the NCR trail. It was the first time I've been on it since I moved to Baltimore. It was really nice but pretty slow-going because it was completely covered in snow, ice, mud, and slush. I'm just glad I was on a cross bike. My bike and I were filthy by the end and I had to use my jersey to clean off my bike as best I could so my wife wouldn't kill me for muddying up our new car. It was a lot of fun and great to be out in the sun for the first time in a while.

Oh, and I'd be thrilled to try some of that homebrew. I've always wanted to try doing it myself but I've never really had the space for it. Such is the peril of apartment living...
popsicleian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 04:07 PM   #1545
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The first time I tried the NCR was under similar conditions and when I got home the kids asked if I ran into the back end of a cement truck.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 06:27 AM   #1546
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Looks like a lot of interest in the beer ride. I will continue to crank out some brews over the next few weeks to fill the taps. If anyone is interested in watching the process drop me a PM and I will contact you.
To those with interest: The hobby is as easy as cooking. The key components to a good homebrew is excellent sanitation and good ingredients. The rest is simple. It is like most hobbies, you can keep it simple or make it complicated.
Back to the brewpot, Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 11:36 AM   #1547
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A beer ride!!! Saturday March 1 Starts @ 10:30 AM Cherry Hill Park, Baltimore, MD http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...80212164521787

Two bills in Annapolis need Immediate Attention: http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...80226091508118
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 01:40 PM   #1548
huerro
Villainous
 
huerro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin
Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops
Posts: 1,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Looks like a lot of interest in the beer ride. I will continue to crank out some brews over the next few weeks to fill the taps. If anyone is interested in watching the process drop me a PM and I will contact you.
To those with interest: The hobby is as easy as cooking. The key components to a good homebrew is excellent sanitation and good ingredients. The rest is simple. It is like most hobbies, you can keep it simple or make it complicated.
Back to the brewpot, Charlie
Are you Charlie M the mad scientist?

If not, there is another home brewing Charlie in Catonsville.
huerro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 02:33 PM   #1549
maxine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Severn, MD
Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balto charlie View Post
Looks like a lot of interest in the beer ride . . . To those with interest: The hobby is as easy as cooking.
I'm too lazy to brew it, but I'll sure help you drink it! Assuming I'm over my plague by whatever date the ride is to be held. I got mostly better, although I never completely stopped lightly coughing up small amounts of crud, but it came back with a vengeance on Thursday, and I've been sick as a dog since. I've finally given up, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. (I typically won't go unless it's a matter of bones sticking out of flesh.) I'm so aggravated about how much riding I've been missing!!
maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 07:59 PM   #1550
veloellen
Senior Member
 
veloellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The NCR trail rarely gets touched from December to March by us. It's significantly shaded so it stays wet longer, cold longer, and snowy longer than the road. My husband and I even commented to each other this weekend that the trail must be a mess right about now....
veloellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 PM.