Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northeast Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-08, 12:32 PM   #1576
BikerHiker
Roadie
 
BikerHiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carroll County, MD
Bikes: '07 Giant TCR Advanced 1
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Car View Post
Attention: Arbutus, Catonsville & Lansdowne (Dist. 12a)

It looks like the 3 foot bubble bill (HB 143) is in real trouble in the House Environmental Matters Committee. The problem seems to be Delegate James Malone, the Vice Chair.

His issue is the same old story - how will a motorist get around a bike with 3 feet to spare if the bicyclist is "hogging the road".


Read more @ http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...80306083621468
Thanks for keeping us updated HC! I hope everyone takes some time to contact Delegate Malone. -BH
BikerHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 12:57 PM   #1577
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerHiker View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated HC! I hope everyone takes some time to contact Delegate Malone. -BH
Dig down into the Baltimore Spokes link to make sure that you are one of Malone's constituents, otherwise he will disregard your opinion.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 01:16 PM   #1578
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Car View Post
Attention: Arbutus, Catonsville & Lansdowne (Dist. 12a)

It looks like the 3 foot bubble bill (HB 143) is in real trouble in the House Environmental Matters Committee. The problem seems to be Delegate James Malone, the Vice Chair.

His issue is the same old story - how will a motorist get around a bike with 3 feet to spare if the bicyclist is "hogging the road".


Read more @ http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...80306083621468

Malone doesn't have to be your representative. Do call!! I worked with him in helping save the MARC station at St. Denis. I will contact his office and try to talk with him. He was really helpful in saving the station. Charlie
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 01:52 PM   #1579
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just to note that no one can say for sure what's the most effective strategy will be. If you have connections with Malone, his district or if you are one of his constituents that's good. Outside of that there needs to be a good mix of local and statewide support, if the balance leans too much to the non-local side it can backfire. So follow your heart is the best advise I can give. If you're not sure write to your local delegate and explain the problem with "Kid's should stay home Malone" and see if peer pressure does some good.

So what do you all think of the catch phrase? Bumper sticker size slogans are real effective so yea, nay or any other ideas?
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 06:50 PM   #1580
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I though you guys might appreciate this: Bicycle Towtruck
A bicycling advocate that goes the extra mile literally.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 06:55 PM   #1581
veloellen
Senior Member
 
veloellen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cool - thanks for the link.
veloellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 11:10 PM   #1582
boomboxmike
bama still mixtapes
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edgewood, DC
Bikes: A rather uncouth Cannondale H400 -hybrid.
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any riders along the proposed Inter County Connector? I'm fixing to ride the route along our pre-existing roads. I wanted to know if anyone lives/works near Laurel, Beltsville, Colesville, Layhill, Rockville and commutes by bike or would commute by bike if you weren't the only rider. I want to know of interesting sites along the way -Norbeck RD east/Layhill Rd/Bonifant/Good Hope/Briggs Chaney/Van Dusen.
boomboxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 02:36 PM   #1583
greaterbrown 
4130 on 28's at 15
 
greaterbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Charm City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Per Charlie's advice, I picked up a Fenix light last weekend. Still working out the mount on my helmet. This is a great light though. Also, still building up my Kogswell tourer with dynamo hub (should be on the road soon)

These lighting advances have got me wanting to attempt some long night rides. Any of y'all done a dedicated night ride? What are the hours on the NCR trail? Probably closes officially at dusk, but I'm still tempted to be a law-breaker and ride it anyway. Anyone been stopped by a ranger at night on the trail? -GB
greaterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 02:50 PM   #1584
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey Greaterbrown,

I do a fair amount of night riding. Sometimes it is the only way to get a ride in (after the kids go to bed).

I run 2 dinotte 200L up front with a 140 in back.

I love riding at night. So peaceful.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 05:22 PM   #1585
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^^^^
So, when was your birthday... I think it was sometime around now, right?
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 07:24 PM   #1586
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feb 26. Came and went.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 08:03 PM   #1587
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath View Post
Feb 26. Came and went.

-D
Well, happy belated birthday, anyway. Sorry we didn't get a chance to take you out for a beer down in Annapolis.

Did you get any new bike schwag?
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 08:30 PM   #1588
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
Well, happy belated birthday, anyway. Sorry we didn't get a chance to take you out for a beer down in Annapolis.

Did you get any new bike schwag?
No biggie. Been swamped lately. Between now and April my weekends are tied up in major house stuff anyway. I will get in some rides, but just from home (nothing requiring major drive time).

My parents got me a trainer for my b'day. Otherwise I am holding out for the big schwag. I am still on the fence about the ibike. the new Garmin is SAWEET, but I think an ibike would be a better practical choice. And it seems that people are getting pretty good data out of it these days. Mostly I am waiting to see wen the garmin firmware gets released.

Otherwise I am planning on treating myself to some nicer wheels later this year.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 08:45 PM   #1589
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derath View Post
Otherwise I am planning on treating myself to some nicer wheels later this year.

-D
Cool. Maybe someday we'll ride together again and I'll get a chance to see them.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 09:46 PM   #1590
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
Cool. Maybe someday we'll ride together again and I'll get a chance to see them.
Yea. First I have to figure out what the heck I am gonna buy.
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 01:13 PM   #1591
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
What are the hours on the NCR trail? Probably closes officially at dusk, but I'm still tempted to be a law-breaker and ride it anyway. Anyone been stopped by a ranger at night on the trail? -GB
I've been trying to get a straight answer on that as it is a misuse of transportation funds to close a transportation facility at night but then again the park cannot be responsible for things that might happen at night and it seems the legals do not have a way of saying "use at night is at your own risk" so they have to say closed at night.

So far I have never been stopped at night and there seems to be a fair amount of joggers using the trail at night, a few stories I have heard that if the park ranger stops you, it is just a warning but lets you ride the trail anyway.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 01:29 PM   #1592
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Attention Fredrick County
Here is your Rep's responce to HB 143:

Thanks for your e-mail in regard to safety on the highway with bicyclists. I agree with your reasoning about the health activities associated with bicycling, but I get a lot of mail and calls in regard to how vehicles have to come nearly to a stop because a cyclist is riding near the yellow line. I feel society needs to work together on this issue.

Paul Stull
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 02:26 PM   #1593
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Car View Post
I've been trying to get a straight answer on that as it is a misuse of transportation funds to close a transportation facility at night but then again the park cannot be responsible for things that might happen at night and it seems the legals do not have a way of saying "use at night is at your own risk" so they have to say closed at night.

So far I have never been stopped at night and there seems to be a fair amount of joggers using the trail at night, a few stories I have heard that if the park ranger stops you, it is just a warning but lets you ride the trail anyway.
In the late Spring and during the Summer it's nasty at night, unless you like eating bugs or like getting them in your eyes or up your nose! Where there's water, there'll be swarms.

If you drive to the trail, make sure that you pick a lot that doesn't have a locking guard rail. I had a flat coming back from PA and got caught in the dark. I didn't get locked in, but I was afraid that I could have been.

Also, in some places on the trail, cell phones won't work... no signal.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 02:30 PM   #1594
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
Per Charlie's advice, I picked up a Fenix light last weekend. Still working out the mount on my helmet. This is a great light though. Also, still building up my Kogswell tourer with dynamo hub (should be on the road soon)

These lighting advances have got me wanting to attempt some long night rides. Any of y'all done a dedicated night ride? What are the hours on the NCR trail? Probably closes officially at dusk, but I'm still tempted to be a law-breaker and ride it anyway. Anyone been stopped by a ranger at night on the trail? -GB
Good luck w/ the light. Night riding is all about your car. If you can park it legal then chances are you'll be fine. If you have to use a regular trail PL then 'they' will know you are out there. I got a ticket for skiing at night at Patapsco park because my car was parked in a do not park at night spot. I rode the NCR trail on a full moon stealth trip a few years back. Lots of moon lite w/ a full moon, no light needed. Biking at night is a favorite of mine, streets empty all is quiet. This mornings commute was a blast back to mid winter, no sunlight at all, not even a hint. Still was nice even though the body was thinking it was 5:15AM
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 08:35 PM   #1595
greaterbrown 
4130 on 28's at 15
 
greaterbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Charm City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow. Thanks for all the great night riding advice. If I decide on a night for a NCR ride I'll keep everybody posted. Charlie, your idea of riding at full moon is great. During my college days in Indiana I loved the peace of full moon riding through corn fields and snoring cows. (yes, cows do snore!)

On another note: I had a fantastic day today riding my century for March.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/111116
-GB
greaterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 06:06 AM   #1596
NoRacer
Isaias
 
NoRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Essex, MD
Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
Posts: 5,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the great night riding advice. If I decide on a night for a NCR ride I'll keep everybody posted. Charlie, your idea of riding at full moon is great. During my college days in Indiana I loved the peace of full moon riding through corn fields and snoring cows. (yes, cows do snore!)

On another note: I had a fantastic day today riding my century for March.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/111116
-GB
Just watch out for the turtles crossing! I've seen some mid-sized alligator snapping turtles on the path as well as Box tortoises. Running over one may not be a good idea.
NoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 11:47 AM   #1597
maxine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Severn, MD
Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Car View Post
I've been trying to get a straight answer on that as it is a misuse of transportation funds to close a transportation facility at night but then again the park cannot be responsible for things that might happen at night and it seems the legals do not have a way of saying "use at night is at your own risk" so they have to say closed at night.

So far I have never been stopped at night and there seems to be a fair amount of joggers using the trail at night, a few stories I have heard that if the park ranger stops you, it is just a warning but lets you ride the trail anyway.
I don't think the State considers the NCR Trail a "transportation facility." Its official Web page is part of the Dept. of Natural Resources site, where it's listed in the "Greenways and Water Trails Program" section. The "greenway functions" listed are: riparian/water quality protection; wildlife/ecological corridor; linear park; trail.

That "it's at your own risk at night" excuse seems kind of lame. I haven't looked into it, but I'd be willing to bet that the State's position is that you're at your own risk in the daytime, too. (Other than something truly outrageously negligent, like, I don't know, maybe the State puts up a new Port-a-Pot and decides to support the roof with wads of chewed-up bubble gum, and the roof falls in on some hapless, temporarily enthroned jogger or cyclist. )

I used to live less than 2 miles from the NCR Trail, and I was on it all the time. Only a few times at night, though, and those just by accident. I recall seeing rangers only once. I do know that there have been night-time running events on the trail, but I guess because they were "official" events, that was different.
maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 12:26 PM   #1598
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I don't think the State considers the NCR Trail a "transportation facility." Its official Web page is part of the Dept. of Natural Resources site, where it's listed in the "Greenways and Water Trails Program" section. The "greenway functions" listed are: riparian/water quality protection; wildlife/ecological corridor; linear park; trail.
That's correct but my point is the State's consideration of recreational use only (thus being able to close at night) is technically illegal as they used Federal transportation funds to build the trail and not recreational funds. The Capital Crescent Trail is open 24/7 and is part of the park system/greenway function but from day one they considered transportation use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
That "it's at your own risk at night" excuse seems kind of lame. I haven't looked into it, but I'd be willing to bet that the State's position is that you're at your own risk in the daytime, too.
There is some truth to that but the State mitigates it's risk by having Park Rangers patrol during the day.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 03:16 PM   #1599
greaterbrown 
4130 on 28's at 15
 
greaterbrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Charm City
Bikes:
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just glanced through moon/sun tables. On Thursday, April 17 the sun sets at 7:44 and an almost full moon rises at 5:24. If I (alone, or with co-conspirators) left Hunt Valley by road at about 7pm and road up to the trail at the PA line. By then, it'd be after sundown and the moon would be well into the sky. I'd ride the trail back to Hunt Valley. Next night could be a rain date with the sun setting about a minute later and the moon rising about an hour later. Good fun. -GB
greaterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 07:01 AM   #1600
balto charlie
Senior Member
 
balto charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore/DC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterbrown View Post
I just glanced through moon/sun tables. On Thursday, April 17 the sun sets at 7:44 and an almost full moon rises at 5:24. If I (alone, or with co-conspirators) left Hunt Valley by road at about 7pm and road up to the trail at the PA line. By then, it'd be after sundown and the moon would be well into the sky. I'd ride the trail back to Hunt Valley. Next night could be a rain date with the sun setting about a minute later and the moon rising about an hour later. Good fun. -GB
Hey GB If memory serves me the moon rises earlier the days leading up to the full moon. This will put an almost full moon up higher in the sky earlier. The higher the earlier the better. This is especially true for trails like the NCR, C&O etc. These trails are lined by woods so a moon at the horizon will cast little light on the trail. To get light on the trail the moon needs to be higher in the sky. Follow the full moon next week(3-21) if weather allows and see what I mean. I learned this the hard way on Old Rag mnt. in Va(a surreal full moon hike). Post your ride date as it nears I am interested. Charlie
PS: To mount my Fenix I used an old Viewpoint(Performance) helmet mount with 2 really thin zip ties around the Fenix and through the mount. This mount allows me to adjust the direction of my light. If you have old helmet mounts laying around try them or go to performance discount table and scrounge up one.
balto charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 PM.