Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    ROAD enthusiast revolator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bat Cave
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    LI Harbors Ride, Jun 29

    Event Info

    google maps of start and finish

    I'm looking to do this ride, interested in hearing any comments from people that have done the past rides?

  2. #2
    Senior Member FrankieV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revolator View Post
    Event Info

    google maps of start and finish

    I'm looking to do this ride, interested in hearing any comments from people that have done the past rides?
    It's actually a brand new ride but Bike NY usually does a great job with their rides.
    '10 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    '07 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    1947 J.C. Higgins

  3. #3
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike New York
    Long Island Rail Road will operate according to its regular bike rules on this date. Permits are required for bikes, and space on the trains is extremely limited. The closest station to the start is Brentwood on the Ronkonkoma line.
    I wonder what the likelihood of getting my bike on a train out of Penn Station might be. I'd hate to pay the registration fee, get up early, and then not be able to get there.
    Last edited by Stacy; 05-25-08 at 10:27 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member FrankieV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    I wonder what the likelihood of getting my bike on a train out of Penn Station might be. I'd hate to pay the registration fee, get up early, and then not be able to get there.
    There's a message board dealing with getting/offering rides to the event.

    http://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/lih...ing_there.html

    Might be worth a try.
    '10 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    '07 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    1947 J.C. Higgins

  5. #5
    ROAD enthusiast revolator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bat Cave
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LIRR has an application for an annual fee of $20 to bring a bike on the train (OFF PEAK ONLY). That's all I know.

    Edit: This is wrong, see information posted below
    Last edited by revolator; 05-27-08 at 11:18 AM. Reason: correction

  6. #6
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have a $5 Bike Permit but that doesn't guarantee they won't reach the maximum of 8 bikes per train before I can board.

    Thanks FrankieV. I added my post on their message board. So far it's only six would-be passengers looking for rides. No rides looking for passengers
    Last edited by Stacy; 05-26-08 at 10:00 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of my miles over the past 20 months has been route research for this event on behalf of Bike New York.
    It is indeed the first year for this event and designed to geographically complement the other 2 rides BNY does: Twin Lights and Harlem Valley.
    As to Stacey's question: There's not an LIRR set up as for the 5 Boro Bike Tour (limits and passes waived unless you get a cranky conductor), so standard rules apply. Since there is one train per hour on this line, there is no Plan B. As noted on the BNY site, closest station is Brentwood. Maybe a 15-20 minute ride. Since this is a new event, there is no historical reference as to how much LIRR usage to expect. Personally, I'm never quite trusting of these things, so I'd try to get a ride with someone. SCCC starting area is 2 couple of minutes off the L.I.E.

  8. #8
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revolator View Post
    LIRR has an application for an annual fee of $20 to bring a bike on the train (OFF PEAK ONLY). That's all I know.
    Whoa - they dramatically changed that huh?

  9. #9
    Not so Senior Member Eureka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    Simoncini SS, Trek Al/CA, Jamis HT, Cannondale Rush 5Z
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    Whoa - they dramatically changed that huh?
    Not according to their site today:
    Long Island Rail Road

    * Bicycles are allowed aboard LIRR trains at most times outside of rush hours and major holidays. See the Long Island Rail Road bike pages for details.
    * A $5 lifetime joint MNR/LIRR Bicycle Permit is required. Permits may be purchased at ticket booths, onboard trains, and by mail.
    * On weekdays, a maximum of four bicycles per train is allowed. On weekends, a maximum of eight bicycles per train is allowed. Special weekend “bicycle trains” can accommodate more than eight bicycles; these trains are indicated on the published timetables.
    * Folding bicycles are allowed onboard trains at all times and do not require a permit. Please fold your bike before boarding and don’t block the aisle or doors.
    * Bicycle event group organizers must contact LIRR Group Travel at 718-558-7498.

  10. #10
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phew - that's a relief. That would have been pretty steep.

  11. #11
    Senior Member FrankieV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchlichting View Post
    Many of my miles over the past 20 months has been route research for this event on behalf of Bike New York.
    It is indeed the first year for this event and designed to geographically complement the other 2 rides BNY does: Twin Lights and Harlem Valley.
    Can you tell us how this ride compares, in difficulty, to the Harlem Valley Ride.
    Last year's 55 mile Harlem Valley was beautiful but the last 15 miles or so of hills
    kicked my a**.
    Thanks
    '10 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    '07 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    1947 J.C. Higgins

  12. #12
    Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF sukram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Escaped NYC
    My Bikes
    Brompton & a Bianchi Volpe do-it-all-bike
    Posts
    354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to sign up for it, but I'll be busy in a pre lil' munchkin class. Looking forward to the route map someone will kindly post after the event...

    Always looking for another nice century...
    - meb

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never done the Harlem Valley Ride, so cannot compare.
    However, the 50/75/100 routes all go west on the L.I.E. Service Road to Pinelawn Road, then north on Sweet Hollow Road/Hartman Hill Road and eventually into Cold Spring Harbor via Route 108/25A, then up Snake Hill Road. You stay along the water (hence, hills) across Huntington, past (not into) Sunken Meadow Park, then to Nissequogue. The 50 turns south back to SCCC from the rest area at Nissequogue State Park, the 75/100 continue to Head of the Harbor and finally to Port Jefferson. The 75 will head more or less south and rejoin the L.I.E. at Hawkins Road, while the 100 does the same after a loop from Port Jeff to Brookhaven. Randall Road is the eastern most leg of the 100.
    Hope that helps.
    Could always use some volunteer help; check relevant page on the BNY site if interested.

  14. #14
    Drops small screws noteon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Heavily modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL that's been turned into a brevet bike, two 20" Torker Interurbans
    Posts
    2,600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieV View Post
    Can you tell us how this ride compares, in difficulty, to the Harlem Valley Ride.
    Last year's 55 mile Harlem Valley was beautiful but the last 15 miles or so of hills
    kicked my a**.
    Thanks
    Oh, man, me too! The Harlem Valley was the first longish ride I ever attempted after getting my confidence up with the Five Boros. But that 55 was harder than the centuries I've since done out on Long Island.

    Great T-shirt, though...
    RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
    Learning to wrench better this year—current project: Fixie from build kit

  15. #15
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to http://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/lihr/event_info.html the 30 mile route has a cumulative elevation gain of 1,115 feet. The 50 mile route has a cumulative gain of 3019 . The 75 mile route has a cumulative elevation gain of 4,633 feet. And, the 100 mile route has a cumulative elevation gain of 5,774 feet.

    Cumulative gain for the Harlem Valley ride appears on http://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/hvrr/event_info.html is 2,030 foot gain for the 30 mile route, 3,920 feet for the 55 mile route, 5,590 feet for the 75 mile route, and 8,105 feet for the century.
    Last edited by Stacy; 05-28-08 at 12:52 PM.

  16. #16
    Steel Frame BrooklynRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Roadbike, commuterbike and wife's "Bike with a bell and a basket" 3 speed.
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking about this ride as well. I would ride the 50. I have another Long Island Century June 14 for the Tour De Cure. Might be a little too soon. We'll see. As we approach the date, and if I ride it, I will offer a car ride there.
    ...Riding...Riding...Sleeping...Riding...

  17. #17
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This time I may choose according to cumulative gain rather than distance

  18. #18
    Senior Member FrankieV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    According to http://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/lihr/event_info.html the 30 mile route has a cumulative elevation gain of 1,115 feet. The 50 mile route has a cumulative gain of 3019 . The 75 mile route has a cumulative elevation gain of 4,633 feet. And, the 100 mile route has a cumulative elevation gain of 5,774 feet.

    Cumulative gain for the Harlem Valley ride appears on http://www.bikenewyork.org/rides/hvrr/event_info.html is 2,030 foot gain for the 30 mile route, 3,920 feet for the 55 mile route, 5,590 feet for the 75 mile route, and 8,105 feet for the century.
    Thanks Stacey.
    You did what my lazy brain should have done in the first place....compared them.
    Seems like the Harbor Ride is a bit easier than the Harlem Valley.
    I may torture myself and do the 75 in the Harbor Ride but stick to the 55 in the Harlem Valley.

    Thanks for the route description Dschlichting.
    Much appreciated.
    '10 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    '07 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    1947 J.C. Higgins

  19. #19
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of this is easy

  20. #20
    Senior Member FrankieV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm registered.
    They say there is limited registration.
    I registered now just to be sure.
    '10 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    '07 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    1947 J.C. Higgins

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Road Bike, Bike Friday Folding Bike, Specialized Hardrock Mountain Bike
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchlichting View Post
    I have never done the Harlem Valley Ride, so cannot compare.
    However, the 50/75/100 routes all go west on the L.I.E. Service Road to Pinelawn Road, then north on Sweet Hollow Road/Hartman Hill Road and eventually into Cold Spring Harbor via Route 108/25A, then up Snake Hill Road. You stay along the water (hence, hills) across Huntington, past (not into) Sunken Meadow Park, then to Nissequogue. The 50 turns south back to SCCC from the rest area at Nissequogue State Park, the 75/100 continue to Head of the Harbor and finally to Port Jefferson. The 75 will head more or less south and rejoin the L.I.E. at Hawkins Road, while the 100 does the same after a loop from Port Jeff to Brookhaven. Randall Road is the eastern most leg of the 100.
    Hope that helps.
    Could always use some volunteer help; check relevant page on the BNY site if interested.
    UP SNAKE HILL ROAD? you can't be serious! I've ridden down Snake Road many times but I've never met anyone who attempted to ride up that hill !

  22. #22
    ROAD enthusiast revolator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bat Cave
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Snake Hill Road

    Quote Originally Posted by jbcNewYork View Post
    UP SNAKE HILL ROAD? you can't be serious! I've ridden down Snake Road many times but I've never met anyone who attempted to ride up that hill !
    People do it.

    Look at the 25 mile mark. Goes from less than 25 ft to over 200 ft elevation for Snake Hill road.

    I've included the second pdf with the grade, showing over a 15% grade at the 25 mile mark.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •