Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    ROAD enthusiast revolator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bat Cave
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    LongIsland: Mansion Ride for Autism

    Register at 6:30 am for 7am start ( 6/8 Sunday)

    62, 40 or 16 miler

    Register online before midnight $35, otherwise $50 or $55

    http://www.mansionride.com/

    http://www.active.com/page/Event_Det...a-3e17eab99e8a

  2. #2
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow - wish I knew about this earlier How was it?

  3. #3
    ROAD enthusiast revolator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bat Cave
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a good ride. I got too much sun on Saturday, my buddy and I had to bail on the long course because we were toast.

    First time riding this, good scenic course with variety of challenging hills, decent marking, decent food, good crowd. Don't know too much about the charity, but for the ride alone would do it again, just not on a hot blistering day.

  4. #4
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revolator View Post
    I got too much sun on Saturday, my buddy and I had to bail on the long course because we were toast.

    Certainly not the kind of weather to forget sunblock

  5. #5
    ROAD enthusiast revolator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bat Cave
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    Certainly not the kind of weather to forget sunblock
    +1 I got burnt the prior day, and I was caking the sunblock regularly on the ride.

  6. #6
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Tour De Queens on Sunday. I don't normally burn but halfway through the ride I could see my arms and knees turning red before my eyes! Luckily I had sun block in my pack.

  7. #7
    Senior Member FrankieV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    I did the Tour De Queens on Sunday. I don't normally burn but halfway through the ride I could see my arms and knees turning red before my eyes! Luckily I had sun block in my pack.
    How was the Tour de Queens?
    Registration closed before I even heard of it.
    I liked the Tour de Bronx but wasn't crazy about the Tour de Brooklyn.
    '10 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    '07 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    1947 J.C. Higgins

  8. #8
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tour De Queens was like a shorter version of the Tour De Bronx - lots of hills and it seemed more varied than the Tour De Brooklyn - at least the year that I did the TDB. We started by the Unisphere and rode east along the waterfront. There was a rest stop in Queensbridge Park, with bananas, muffins, energy bars and water. Then we came back to Flushing Meadows by way of Newtown Creek and Masbeth. The ride was advertised as 20 miles but my Polar said 23 miles. The only downside was the sun and the pace was really slow - I averaged something like 7.4 mph. I suspect the police escort set the pace. They even held the ride, at one point, for 20 minute compression stop.

    http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/...e-queens-2008/

  9. #9
    Senior Member FrankieV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte
    Posts
    463
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    Tour De Queens was like a shorter version of the Tour De Bronx - lots of hills and it seemed more varied than the Tour De Brooklyn - at least the year that I did the TDB. We started by the Unisphere and rode east along the waterfront. There was a rest stop in Queensbridge Park, with bananas, muffins, energy bars and water. Then we came back to Flushing Meadows by way of Newtown Creek and Masbeth. The ride was advertised as 20 miles but my Polar said 23 miles. The only downside was the sun and the pace was really slow - I averaged something like 7.4 mph. I suspect the police escort set the pace. They even held the ride, at one point, for 20 minute compression stop.

    http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/...e-queens-2008/
    This years TDB, my first, was probably paced even slower that that.
    It ws torture until I resigned myself to the fact that we wouldn't be going any faster.
    I'l probably skip it next year unless I do it with my son's comfort bike & my granddaughter on the back.
    '10 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    '07 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    1947 J.C. Higgins

  10. #10
    Air
    Air is offline
    Destroyer of Wheels Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Creating some FA-Qs
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB
    Posts
    3,558
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, those tours are more meant to be fun slow family rides. Technically so is the Tour de Bronx though that one is a bit more challenging.

  11. #11
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the best part of the Tour De Bronx is that the 40 mile route doesn't have a police escort for the entire route? As much as I appreciate NYPD's efforts, particularly at intersections, it's not easy riding less than 5 mph, especially in a group, or uphill.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •