Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: D2r2

  1. #1
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    D2r2

    Who is going?

    I'll be there... bringing up the rear on the 100k route.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    No. Central Ma. USA
    My Bikes
    09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced
    Posts
    2,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never done it but I heard it's an awesome ride! Someone posted photos from the ride 2 years ago and it does look pretty spectactular.
    Does anyone know if you can do this ride on a regular road bike, or is it a ride you'll need a cross bike or mtn bike for?

    thanks, and enjoy the ride!!!

  3. #3
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryJo View Post
    Never done it but I heard it's an awesome ride! Someone posted photos from the ride 2 years ago and it does look pretty spectactular.
    Does anyone know if you can do this ride on a regular road bike, or is it a ride you'll need a cross bike or mtn bike for?

    thanks, and enjoy the ride!!!
    i'll be riding my rando bike, a clubracer, with 28s or 32s.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryJo View Post
    Does anyone know if you can do this ride on a regular road bike, or is it a ride you'll need a cross bike or mtn bike for?
    All of the above. If you do the ride on a regular road bike, do yourself a favor and at least get some decently wide tires.

    I'm in for the 160k. It'll be good to see you again, bmike. Hope we cross paths.

  5. #5
    Senior Member cdale56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    My Bikes
    Lemond, Cannondale
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun, it is a great route, lovely riding territory.

  6. #6
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spokenword View Post
    All of the above. If you do the ride on a regular road bike, do yourself a favor and at least get some decently wide tires.

    I'm in for the 160k. It'll be good to see you again, bmike. Hope we cross paths.
    I'll be there later Friday night. We have a small contingent coming down from Burlington - we're not sure where we are camping yet. Look for the Ti alt universe version of your bike, along with a fellow on an A. Homer Hilson and another on a beaut of a Kogswell. We'll probably hang together for most of the ride.

    I need to split after the ride on Saturday. I'll be around for a beer and quick bite. (off to Providence Sunday night for work... sigh... sigh...)

    Good luck on the long version. I'm in for the short. Nursing what I hope is just a sore knee after a solo 300k 2 weeks ago. I'm going to spin all week and stretch...

  7. #7
    A Little Bent Hammertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first time...

    Going to give the long version a try...

    I have a Ridley Crosswind built up with 32 Michelin Jet tires...

    Any advice...

  8. #8
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to attend. Struggling with a possible conflict on the date and hoping it can be resolved but I'm registered, along with my bro-in-law and nephew.

    I'm going with my road bike with 32's, a triple and my fingers crossed about the weather.

    (long version)

  9. #9
    JRA. BikEthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying the long version this would be my first century (I know I'm insane) but I've been training and working out quite a bit since November, we'll see how ready I am. I'll be riding a Rivendell Atlantis with Honjo hammered fenders if it's going to be wet and without if not. It would be nice to meet some BF members face to face.
    2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
    2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
    2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
    2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)

  10. #10
    Too Much Crazy C Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NY
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Comandante, Lynskey ridgeline, EWR OWB, GF HKEK, Gunnar Roadie, Spesh E5 S Works, Quintana Roo Kilo, Intense BMX Cruiser
    Posts
    3,317
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Wow, that is a ballsy first century. I did the ride last year and would say that it was easily as tough as a road double. Harder than the VT 6 gaps ride.

    Good luck and post a report

  11. #11
    Too Much Crazy C Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NY
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Comandante, Lynskey ridgeline, EWR OWB, GF HKEK, Gunnar Roadie, Spesh E5 S Works, Quintana Roo Kilo, Intense BMX Cruiser
    Posts
    3,317
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertoe View Post
    My first time...

    Going to give the long version a try...

    I have a Ridley Crosswind built up with 32 Michelin Jet tires...


    Any advice...
    Go with at least 1x1 gearing.

    Take a wade and head dunk in the swimming hole at mile 70 (ish?)

    bring the butt butt'r

    Bomb the descents!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C Law View Post
    Go with at least 1x1 gearing.

    Take a wade and head dunk in the swimming hole at mile 70 (ish?)

    bring the butt butt'r

    Bomb the descents!
    pay attention to the directions. do not get lost.

    This ride, more than any other that I've done, will actively penalize you for going off route. In several occasions, going off route doesn't just mean going two miles in an unknown direction; it means going two miles down a 10% grade to a dead end, where the only way to recover is to go back up that 10% grade.

    When I did the ride two years ago, I arrived at the first control about an hour after closing time and was frankly surprised to see that they were still going. The volunteers said that at closing time, less than half of the registered riders actually made it in because we were all lost in various parts of the forest. It's a tough ride on its own, no need to make it more challenging by accumulating bonus mileage.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, for anyone doing the 170k route, the new cuesheet is up: (http://www.newhorizonsbikes.com/for/d2r2170k).

    It reads sort of like a ghost story that one reads to baby cyclists to keep them up at night.

  14. #14
    Too Much Crazy C Law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NY
    My Bikes
    Ventana El Comandante, Lynskey ridgeline, EWR OWB, GF HKEK, Gunnar Roadie, Spesh E5 S Works, Quintana Roo Kilo, Intense BMX Cruiser
    Posts
    3,317
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ looking at that brings back some good and bad memories.

    I remember wondering when the hell that hillman road climb would end. It just kept going and going......

    My first time doing the ride, I was focusing on the archambo road climb and was really suprised by that long ass climb.

    Have fun guys!!

  15. #15
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much to BF for letting me know about this ride! I did it today and LOVED IT!

    I will post a full ride report later- in the Long Distance forum.

    I drove back tonight to Cape Cod so now I'm totally wiped.

    I think I met Ethan on the ride.

    I did get lost a couple of times but not too bad a few extra miles.

    Beautiful ride!

  16. #16
    JRA. BikEthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished! It wasn't exactly pretty but I finished! Gorgeous scenery lots of great people (I went alone but didn't feel like I was alone for most of the ride). It was a lot of fun. I definitely got a lot of "Your FIRST century?!" responses.

    buzzman when did we meet? I had one of two Atlantis' that I saw on the ride the other belonging to Elton from Harris Cyclery.
    2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
    2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
    2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
    2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)

  17. #17
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a friend I heard it was a great ride, and quite the challenge.
    I had to bail out halfway down the state of VT. Wife was feeling sick all day Friday... we chanced me going but she got worse as evening set in - so I turned the rental around and made it back to take care of the little one.

    Sigh. Missed the ride, but took care of the family.
    Last edited by bmike; 08-24-08 at 10:37 AM.

  18. #18
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikEthan View Post
    I finished! It wasn't exactly pretty but I finished! Gorgeous scenery lots of great people (I went alone but didn't feel like I was alone for most of the ride). It was a lot of fun. I definitely got a lot of "Your FIRST century?!" responses.

    buzzman when did we meet? I had one of two Atlantis' that I saw on the ride the other belonging to Elton from Harris Cyclery.

    I did the ride with my brother in law and my nephew, who's a frame builder (NFG Bikes), and they were both on bikes he made- a green cross bike and a black 29'er MTB. I was camped just behind the check-in with a red Honda Fit. I'll post some pics in the long distance forum with a ride report. I'm pretty sure I saw you on the course and at the end and your bike was right near mine at the 64 mile checkpoint.

  19. #19
    A Little Bent Hammertoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Struggling up a hillside in Vermont, USA... ..........................................
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished...barely...

    8:50 ride time...9:43 total time...

    I was geared 52/42/30 with a 11/34 cassette and needed more...

    I do not know if I will be doing that again...

  20. #20
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertoe View Post
    I finished...barely...

    8:50 ride time...9:43 total time...

    I was geared 52/42/30 with a 11/34 cassette and needed more...

    I do not know if I will be doing that again...
    you did far better than I! My total time was 11:28! My ride time was 9:40. I rode a 52/42/30 with 12-26. I was desperate for a lower gear much of the time and finally just settled for nice slow amble with some stops along the way and got lost a few times to boot, which meant a few extra miles.

  21. #21
    JRA. BikEthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    I did the ride with my brother in law and my nephew, who's a frame builder (NFG Bikes), and they were both on bikes he made- a green cross bike and a black 29'er MTB. I was camped just behind the check-in with a red Honda Fit. I'll post some pics in the long distance forum with a ride report. I'm pretty sure I saw you on the course and at the end and your bike was right near mine at the 64 mile checkpoint.
    Yes! I remember you! I think I talked to you at the end of the ride as well. You were wondering where your nephew was as he was a strong rider but was taking a really long time (probably missed a turn or some such). Did he find his way to the farm festival?
    Last edited by BikEthan; 08-24-08 at 09:02 PM.
    2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
    2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
    2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
    2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)

  22. #22
    JRA. BikEthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    you did far better than I! My total time was 11:28! My ride time was 9:40. I rode a 52/42/30 with 12-26. I was desperate for a lower gear much of the time and finally just settled for nice slow amble with some stops along the way and got lost a few times to boot, which meant a few extra miles.
    I did... well even worse. 12:36 total, 10:24 ride time. I stopped to help a few people out with mechanicals and directions along the way, spent a bit too much time at the rest stops and helped myself with cramping legs by stopping at the top of most of the climbs during stage 2. If I'm less nice and in better shape next year I should be able to bring my total ride time under 12 hours!!

    Maybe I'll just get in better shape.
    2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
    2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
    2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
    2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    My Bikes
    ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520
    Posts
    1,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah hell, all you guys did far better than I. I finished my ride in an emergency room

    Overall, I'm doing fine now ... just got some major road rash and a banged up wrist after wiping out on Sandy Pond Road at mile 70 or so. Had a good time until that point, though; and hopefully in a week or so, I should be pedaling again.

    full story on my LJ

    Congrats to all the finishers. and bmike, sorry to hear that you had to DNS, but family does come first. Perhaps we'll see each other again next season.

  24. #24
    JRA. BikEthan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    '07 IRO Mark V, '01 Cannondale Jekyll 3000, '07 Rivendell Atlantis
    Posts
    505
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spokenword View Post
    ah hell, all you guys did far better than I. I finished my ride in an emergency room

    Overall, I'm doing fine now ... just got some major road rash and a banged up wrist after wiping out on Sandy Pond Road at mile 70 or so. Had a good time until that point, though; and hopefully in a week or so, I should be pedaling again.

    full story on my LJ

    Congrats to all the finishers. and bmike, sorry to hear that you had to DNS, but family does come first. Perhaps we'll see each other again next season.
    Bummer. Glad it wasn't any worse... there were some pretty intense descents on that ride, and some really fast ones! Take care of yourself, and get well soon!
    2009 Bike Friday Season Tikit (commuting folder)
    2007 Rivendell Atlantis (touring, general riding, errand runner, stuff hauler)
    2007 IRO Mark V (SS)
    2006 Rockhopper Comp Disc (Icebike)

  25. #25
    littlecircles bmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spokenword View Post
    ah hell, all you guys did far better than I. I finished my ride in an emergency room

    Overall, I'm doing fine now ... just got some major road rash and a banged up wrist after wiping out on Sandy Pond Road at mile 70 or so. Had a good time until that point, though; and hopefully in a week or so, I should be pedaling again.

    full story on my LJ

    Congrats to all the finishers. and bmike, sorry to hear that you had to DNS, but family does come first. Perhaps we'll see each other again next season.
    sorry to hear!!!!!!
    i'll check out your LJ!!!
    get well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •