Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 140 of 169 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 4207
  1. #3476
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishbike View Post
    Did a what now seems weekly ride out to Harvard. 62 glorious sunny miles!

    Rode with a local framebuilder today and discussed the possibilities of building an "Aeolian Harp Bike".

    Who knows, stranger thins have happened.....

    If that frame builder is the one that built one of the bikes in your Avatar I have done many a Harvard Loop with him. And I am sure he has not slowed down much on the climb.

    Sorry I missed seeing you on your way back I was out on my 40 mile Concord loop between 11 and 1:30 pm.

  2. #3477
    Senior Member sherbornpeddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    ......
    BTW, I plan to ride through Holliston via Rtes 16 and 126 to 140 tomorrow on a 59 mile training ride from Kenmore Square to Norwood for Week #4 of my 10 Week Century Training Program. I have been on that Upper Charles bike path, but I don’t feel moved to ride out to Hopkinton and Rte 85.
    I'm impressed and delighted to hear you've been on the UCRRT. The Milford section is all aged with a hard surface except the 1/2 mile middle section which will be finished this summer-ish. The Holliston section from the center of town is brand new, smooth stone dust or hard pack dirt. To the locals that stone dust shines. On a damp day it may not be ideal for 23c spandex racing tires. The Sherborn piece is more vernal pool than high speed commuter road and the rest is nearly done in the eyes of the avid, determined, avid and determined. Nearly done to those actually trying to ride on it or even find it might more accurately perceive it as illusionary, imaginary or a pipe dream. Impossible just takes a little longer. That stone dust does shine!
    Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

  3. #3478
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,091
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    …I plan to ride through Holliston via Rtes 16 and 126 to 140 tomorrow on a 59 mile training ride from Kenmore Square to Norwood. I have been on that Upper Charles bike path, but I don’t feel moved to ride out to Hopkinton and Rte 85.

    Quote Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler View Post
    I'm impressed and delighted to hear you've been on the UCRRT. The Milford section…The Holliston section … The Sherborn piece is more vernal pool than high speed commuter road and the rest is nearly done in the eyes of the avid and determined.!...
    Thanks for the reply, sbp. Since a long training ride requires a considerable investment in weekend time and energy, I was dissuaded last night by the usually-accurate forecast on weather.com for rain this morning (Saturday, 5/31). My only other block of time will be tomorrow afternoon.

    I presume the Upper Charles trail does include that segment parallel to Rte 85 south of Hopkinton to Milford; I did not know the proper name when I rode it. If I recall correctly it by-passed a particularly dreary segment of Rte 16 into Milford. When I travel through Sherborn it’s usually on Rtes 27 to 16; or from Holliston to Dover via Fiske, Mill and Woodland, all lightly traveled and well-surfaced roads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    …Whenever I'm out on the road and encounter a serious-appearing cyclist, hoping to meet a fellow BF subscriber, I try to inquire if they are on the Forums…
    FYA, whenever I ride in your sector, I’m invariably wearing a lemon-yellow jacket/vest, with a light blue shortsleeved shirt, a silver helmet, black shorts with a lengthwise red swaths along the lateral thighs, black cycling shoes, white socks; and riding a red and white Specialized road bike. Approach (or avoid) at your discretion.
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-31-14 at 09:53 AM.

  4. #3479
    Senior Member Bishbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2002 Bianchi Eros, 2013 Peter Mooney Custom
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    If that frame builder is the one that built one of the bikes in your Avatar I have done many a Harvard Loop with him. And I am sure he has not slowed down much on the climb.

    Sorry I missed seeing you on your way back I was out on my 40 mile Concord loop between 11 and 1:30 pm.

    Buzzman, you are correct on both counts. He did build one of my bikes, and he has not slowed down a bit. That guy is like a freight train, as I am sure you have witnessed. I think we only stopped once entire ride, hence the lack of pictures. Too busy tring to keep up...

    Hope to see you on the road sometime.

    BTW, the Berkshire loop looks like it must be a wonderful ride.

  5. #3480
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday about 6:00.



    -mr. bill
    Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.

  6. #3481
    Senior Member mr,grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston Burbs
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento, 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a different rout today. Instead of sticking to the (mostly) flat Bike Path route I headed into some very gentle hills. They were like mountains to me. I got out near the ocean and the wind kicked up and hat was a drag. A little rip up a small portion of the bike path where some dude let his dog run out in front of me and then home. I didn't plan the route out really but it turned out to be….. about 12 miles long! !2 miles in length at about 12 MPH average is consistently what I pull off, weather planned or unplanned. Granted, my effort level was up slightly today doing those hills but still, I would like to go farther. Baby Steps I guess but I sure am jealous of you guys who have the fitness (and time) to go 30-60 miles on a bike ride on a frequent basis.
    "I'm built like a marine mammal. I love the cold! "-Cosmoline
    "MTBing is cheap compared to any motorsport I've done. It's very expensive compared to jogging."-ColinL
    Rides:
    1999-ish Diamondback Sorrento (I'm not Dead Yet! I feal happy. I think I'll go for a walk!)
    1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
    2007 Gary Fisher Advance (giving the Sorrento a break)
    2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
    2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)


    My little bike blog.

  7. #3482
    Senior Member rholland1951's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My six-months-long case of too-busy-to-live disease is reaching a climax, and things should be better soon. In the meantime, I managed to sneak in a lunchtime ride up to Lexington Center on the Minuteman, temperatures in the low sixties, just cool enough to keep the trail from being hopelessly mobbed.


    Overheard a little girl say to her father, "Can we take our bikes with us to Cape Cod?"

    Summer's coming.

    rod

  8. #3483
    What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston-ish, MA
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Posts
    7,406
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We broke new ground for us today, well, almost new. We rode the North Shore, 45 miles, following a route from Road Cycling in Massachusetts. I think I remember the name right. I'd loaded it in to our GPS, we met a friend in Topsfiled who lives up that way, and we set up. Topsfield, Ipswich, Great Neck, back west and northwest to Boxford, through Georgetown, back to Topsfield. Sharon and I had done some of that area before with NSCYC and following outer NSCYC routes. It was fun blindly following a GPS route. Okay, not totally blindly since I'd had to work it out in DeLorme's TopoNA.

    Boxford had torn up one half mile of road so we had to ride on gravel/dirt/ripples. At least no car got impatient with us! The payoff was miles of newly paved road, fresh black pavement, no markings, no bumps or potholes, not even much traffic for stretches 4 or 5 miles long. It was AWESOME!

    Some distinctive, New England Gothic architecture, the Topsfield Town Hall:


    My sweetie and me:


    Lunch at a local playground, I think in Ipswich:


    Sharon snapped this of Clive and myself back in Topsfield:
    Last edited by jimmuller; 06-01-14 at 05:28 PM.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

  9. #3484
    Senior Member mr,grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston Burbs
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento, 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e
    Posts
    721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    We broke new ground for us today, well, almost new. We rode the North Shore, 45 miles, following a route from Road Cycling in Massachusetts. I think I remember the name right. I'd loaded it in to our GPS, we met a friend in Topsfiled who lives up that way, and we set up. Topsfield, Ipswich, Great Neck, back west and northwest to Boxford, through Georgetown, back to Topsfield. Sharon and I had done some of that area before with NSCYC and following outer NSCYC routes. It was fun blindly following a GPS route. Okay, not totally blindly since I'd had to work it out in DeLorme's TopoNA.

    Boxford had torn up one half mile of road so we had to ride on gravel/dirt/ripples. At least no car got impatient with us! The payoff was miles of newly paved road, fresh black pavement, no markings, no bumps or potholes, not even much traffic for stretches 4 or 5 miles long. It was AWESOME!

    Some distinctive, New England Gothic architecture, the Topsfield Town Hall:


    My sweetie and me:


    Lunch at a local playground, I think in Ipswich:


    Sharon snapped this of Clive and myself back in Topsfield:
    Welcome to my neck of the woods (in car terms, "almost" my neck in bike terms)! Did you happen to stop in at The Bicycle Shop of Topsfield while you were in the area? It sits astride a nice MUP that goes down into Danvers and is the place where I bought my first grown-up bike ever: a Diamondback MTB back int he '90s. It's a great little shop run by MTB guys who love to ride and are not just into selling road bikes to rich guys.

    I have a question for you though: How do you transport that rig of yours?
    "I'm built like a marine mammal. I love the cold! "-Cosmoline
    "MTBing is cheap compared to any motorsport I've done. It's very expensive compared to jogging."-ColinL
    Rides:
    1999-ish Diamondback Sorrento (I'm not Dead Yet! I feal happy. I think I'll go for a walk!)
    1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
    2007 Gary Fisher Advance (giving the Sorrento a break)
    2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
    2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)


    My little bike blog.

  10. #3485
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hop hop hop hop! (No bunnies were harmed during filming.)



    -mr. bill
    Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.

  11. #3486
    What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston-ish, MA
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Posts
    7,406
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr,grumpy View Post
    Welcome to my neck of the woods (in car terms, "almost" my neck in bike terms)!
    Thank you, sir!

    Quote Originally Posted by mr,grumpy View Post
    Did you happen to stop in at The Bicycle Shop of Topsfield while you were in the area? It sits astride a nice MUP that goes down into Danvers...
    Oh dear, we didn't know one existed. Didn't exactly have reason to stop other than to say hi but might have stopped just for that. We did see a trail crossing sign but it was for dirt motorcycles and it was nowhere close to Danvers AFAIK.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr,grumpy View Post
    I have a question for you though: How do you transport that rig of yours?
    Well, now, that's a trade secret, isn't it? We have a Dodge Caravan in which the 3rd row seats fold into the floor. The bike fits vertically under the hatch, with the front wheel sticking slightly between the front seat backs. It fit into our previous Caravan also with the 3rd row seats removed. Some people rave the Honda minivan. Some people put theirs on top of the car via a swinging support.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

  12. #3487
    Senior Member sherbornpeddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    always fascinating

    Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 7.08.44 PM.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    Thank you, sir!
    Oh dear, we didn't know one existed....
    Well, now, that's a trade secret, isn't it? ....
    Rod, Bish, Jim de B, Jim the M, Mr. B, Mr. G, Buzz and all the ships at sea,
    These are great posts! You capture MetroBoston biking!

    Friendly, exploring and always fascinating.
    Last week I made a slow, modified 57 mile loop to Concord, did the obligatory water fountain refill in the center and slid home via the sudbury floodplain and shady Rice Rd. This Friday I did 49.7 ten town tour Friday, mowed the lawn Saturday and was about to go for a ride Sunday but was interrupted. Instead I sat out back with my 89.9 year old mother in law and listened to stories, history and life. It isn't always what I plan but gosh, weaving down a memory or weaving down a sun dappled road is nice. With afternoon sun shining through, shade where it ought to be, even the mosquitos seem to fit the occasion.
    Today, trusty neighbor Bill committed me into a delightful 20 mile, low to medium ride through Norfolk in perfect weather.
    Thanks kids. Thanks for all your sharing, observation and inspiration. Cheers!
    Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 06-02-14 at 05:12 PM. Reason: photo of lady slipper in norfolk
    Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

  13. #3488
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,091
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler View Post
    Rod, Bish, Jim de B, Jim the M, Mr. B, Mr. G, Buzz and all the ships at sea,
    These are great posts! You capture MetroBoston biking!

    Friendly, exploring and always fascinating.
    Last week I made a slow, modified 57 mile loop to Concord, did the obligatory water fountain refill in the center and slid home via the sudbury floodplain and shady Rice Rd…

    Thanks kids. Thanks for all your sharing, observation and inspiration. Cheers!
    Hey sbp, thanks for your gracious comments, but you are the OP of this thread, IMO, the de facto Boston Bike Forum, but see also this one.

    Is your Rice Road the one that goes south from Old Connecticut Path to Comm Ave, where it becomes Oak St? There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders. Some others that come to mind are Lowder in Dedham, Moose Hill Parkway in Sharon. Elm St. in Medfield, and many others I never find because I’m so goal-directed to get there, or do my training miles quota with no time to get lost. Today on a 14 mile training ride from Norwood, I discovered Mill St in Westwood, between Rte 109 and Hartford St, but only about one-half mile long.

    Then there was last year’s Mass Bike Ride:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    The route took us on leafy, well-paved and lightly-traveled roads though the ritzy suburbs of Carlisle, Concord, Bedford, and Lexington. I have a personal term for such roads as “enchanted,” and the stretches I encounter on my usual routes are very short, but here they went for a few miles each. We had a few segments of more major roads of not more than a half mile, and these were not bad either, with decent shoulders…

    Most of my usual cycling is solo on well-traveled routes with definite destinations and schedules, so I always enjoy these rides where I am lost to time and place...
    PS: Another nice enchanted road in Metrowest is Salem End Rd, a designated scenic route in Framingham, to Oregon Rd in Ashland. On Oregon Rd is The Oregon Club of Ashland a nice looking steakhouse, and legendary speakeasy. Back in Prohibition Days, it must have been a really out-of-the-way place.
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-02-14 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added PS

  14. #3489
    Senior Member deburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite, 19xx Cannondale Rockhopper
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    We broke new ground for us today, well, almost new. We rode the North Shore, 45 miles, following a route from Road Cycling in Massachusetts. I think I remember the name right. I'd loaded it in to our GPS, we met a friend in Topsfiled who lives up that way, and we set up. Topsfield, Ipswich, Great Neck, back west and northwest to Boxford, through Georgetown, back to Topsfield. Sharon and I had done some of that area before with NSCYC and following outer NSCYC routes. It was fun blindly following a GPS route. Okay, not totally blindly since I'd had to work it out in DeLorme's TopoNA.
    Hi Jim (or anyone else): how do you take a route that you find online and load it onto a GPS? I have an iPhone and a Garmin Forerunner 305. Thanks!

    btw, I tried looking up Road Cycling in Mass, but couldn't find it unless it's Road Biking Massachusetts
    1995 Cannondale T400, 1980's Bianchi Strada, 1998 Trek 1200, Bickerton Folding Bike

  15. #3490
    Senior Member deburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite, 19xx Cannondale Rockhopper
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_bill View Post
    Sure signs of spring. The parklet is back in Lexington and the Bike Corrals are back in Davis Square and many other Sommerville Locations.

    -mr. bill
    I found this part from the article you linked interesting "A group of San Francisco activists and designers built the country’s first parklet nearly a decade ago, when they fed the meter at a single downtown parking space, and filled the parking spot they’d just rented with sod, a bench, and a tree. "
    1995 Cannondale T400, 1980's Bianchi Strada, 1998 Trek 1200, Bickerton Folding Bike

  16. #3491
    Senior Member sherbornpeddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
    Hey sbp, thanks for your gracious comments, but you are the OP of this thread, IMO, the de facto Boston Bike Forum, but see also this one.

    Is your Rice Road the one that goes south from Old Connecticut Path to Comm Ave, where it becomes Oak St? There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders. Some others that come to mind are Lowder in Dedham, Moose Hill Parkway in Sharon. Elm St. in Medfield, and many others I never find because I’m so goal-directed to get there, or do my training miles quota with no time to get lost. Today on a 14 mile training ride from Norwood, I discovered Mill St in Westwood, between Rte 109 and Hartford St, but only about one-half mile long.

    Then there was last year’s Mass Bike Ride:
    Now this is what I'm talking about, "Most of my usual cycling is solo on well-traveled routes with definite destinations and schedules, so I always enjoy these rides where I am lost to time and place..."

    Simpatico mon ami.

    Yep, Rice Rd of Wayland is the 4th quarter of a favorite solo century for me where the brain and body are tired when once in a while the body tosses some fuel up to the brain and the brain puts it to the most important use; estimate fuel and remaining miles and then allow that "lost in time and place" feeling flowing along the roads, feeling bicycle wind. Swooping along River Road aka Sudbury River floodplain, , shoulder over to Glezen, Claypit and Plain and the swoop along the dappled Rice. Just enough twists and turns to keep you alert and just little enough traffic to feel the swoop and flow.

    I'm not there yet this year but i plan to be.

    Jim, heading south, I cross the Pike on Rice/Oak then first left (east) on Everett to get off Oak and Bogle to go south on Weston Rd traffic in Wellesley, Rt 16 back to Sherborn. I cross under Rt9 on Weston Rd rather than battle the noise and construction of Oak/Rt9. BTW, if one were to stay on Oak to Natick, the bridge into Natick after Bacon St Market is closed so one must climb over Walnut Hill. I go through Wellesley. Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 9.06.39 PM.jpg
    Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

  17. #3492
    What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston-ish, MA
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Posts
    7,406
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deburn View Post
    Hi Jim (or anyone else): how do you take a route that you find online and load it onto a GPS? I have an iPhone and a Garmin Forerunner 305. Thanks!
    I can answer only for our GPS, a DeLorme PN60. I would imagine Garmin and others are all different.

    The PN60 comes bundled with DeLorme Topo North Am and a special cable to connect it to a computer to copy maps, GPS routes, and recorded tracks between the computer and the GPS. To create a GPS route I first create a route in Topo NAm. The process is similar to DeLorme Street Atlas, of which I have been a fan for many years. I enter a starting point, a collection of via's based on the turns specified for the route, and an ending point. I put in enough via's to guarantee that it goes the way I want it to. It computes the turns and routing info in some format and creates a route file. I then just copy it to the GPS. To follow it I just select it on the GPS from the ones stored there, tell it to navigate.

    The process requires that I track out on the Topo NAm map the route instructions for the course I want to follow. It can be tedious but it means I have to study the maps of the area, which is good. Sometimes an old route doesn't agree with current road conditions. I've tried entering GPS tracks directly from club routes online, but they are usually 3000 waypoints or something similar, recorded every 50 or 100ft. Topo NAm can follow them but it is way too many for the PN60 to create a route. I learned that the hard way on a similar ride when I didn't understand the significance of the warning the PN60 gave me at the start of a ride. Some miles into unknown territory it suddenly had no more route information! Fortunately it also lets me follow a recorded track, though with less certainty. Anyway, having the maps available means I can always find my own way if necessary. The PN60's user interface is nice but took me some learning time to become fully functional with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by deburn View Post
    btw, I tried looking up Road Cycling in Mass, but couldn't find it unless it's Road Biking Massachusetts
    In fact, the name is Road Biking Massachusetts, subtitled A Guide to the Greatest Rides in Massachusetts, by Tom Catalini. (I checked your link but I don't see any connection to the book.) It was published in 2007 so while it isn't totally contemporary it is pretty accurate. Running the routes through Topo NAm is a good reality check. We've done several rides or partial rides from it. The route we've done from my house (or Bedford) to Nashua, NH was developed from one in that book.
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

  18. #3493
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great posts and pix in here. There are some great rides assembled in this thread. Good reminders of some rides and for anyone new to the area most useful for finding places to ride.


    So, I know I'm out of the territory again, I'll be even further west in a couple of weeks. But had a glorious Berkshire ride today. Here's a couple of pix from my 45 mile "Monterey Loop".

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

  19. #3494
    Senior Member Bishbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    2002 Bianchi Eros, 2013 Peter Mooney Custom
    Posts
    244
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks guys for all of the great reports and pics!

    After a weekend of making music, and driving many miles to do so, I was able to get back on the bike today.

    Did the same route that I did last Monday. 55 miles. Lots of climbing. Managed to add .3 mph to my average.

    Mega Great Brook - Belmont, MA

    Took my usual detour into the deCordova sculptue park, and witnessed a new istallation going in.

    IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    Last edited by Bishbike; 06-02-14 at 10:06 PM. Reason: pics

  20. #3495
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,091
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Some great posts and pix in here. There are some great rides assembled in this thread. Good reminders of some rides and for anyone new to the area most useful for finding places to ride.

    ...But had a glorious Berkshire ride today. Here's a couple of pix from my 45 mile "Monterey Loop".

    image.jpg
    Now that's what I mean by an "enchanted" road.

    Quote Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler View Post
    ...weaving down a sun dappled road is nice...
    I think sun-dappling is common to all enchanted roads.

  21. #3496
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishbike View Post
    Wow, thanks guys for all of the great reports and pics!

    After a weekend of making music, and driving many miles to do so, I was able to get back on the bike today.

    Did the same route that I did last Monday. 55 miles. Lots of climbing. Managed to add .3 mph to my average.

    Mega Great Brook - Belmont, MA

    Took my usual detour into the deCordova sculptue park, and witnessed a new istallation going in.

    Thanks for those pix!

    It takes a certain discipline to do the DeCordova** diversion for me, especially if I'm pushing the pace to add a bit of .mph to the ride. But it's always worth it when I do because it's like stepping into another world and it slows me down in the right way.

    Stopping to take the couple of pix I take on a ride feels that way as well. Most of my rides these days are solo and I go at my pace and I seldom stop. It's often a good idea to stop and smell the roses as a reminder that I am not in the TDF or attempting to set a PR on every ride.

    We just installed solar panels on our roof out here in the Berks and all I could think about on my ride was how much energy we were producing on this sunny long June day. Turns out it was substantial. So now on these sunny day bike rides I feel like some other part of me is getting work done at home while I'm out riding.

    Jim From B- "enchanted" is just the right word for that road. It cuts through Beartown State Forest and it was my destination back in the early 1970's when I would throw a tarp and a sleeping bag on the back of my road bike and come out to the Berks to hear music at the myriad of venues out here. That road and campground are timeless for me. Though the dappled road is tricky because it conceals some pretty deadly frost heaves and potholes especially on the steep descent so again, I am forced to slow down and I love every minute of it.

    ** Just took a second look at that exhibit and realized why it looks familiar. I'm pretty sure that exhibit was last in NYC along the West Side Highway bike path just south of the Chelsea piers. I was riding by it every day just over a year ago. I'll have to swing by to pay homage.
    Last edited by buzzman; 06-03-14 at 09:40 AM.

  22. #3497
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    ** Just took a second look at that exhibit and realized why it looks familiar. I'm pretty sure that exhibit was last in NYC along the West Side Highway bike path just south of the Chelsea piers. I was riding by it every day just over a year ago. I'll have to swing by to pay homage.
    Great memory. Paul McCarthy - Sisters.

    -mr. bill
    Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts.

  23. #3498
    Senior Member rholland1951's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    891
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the tempo at work reached the predicted annual maximum today, and should now be a little calmer, on average, until sometime next January. I took a gentle spin on the Minuteman up to Lexington after work. Temperatures in the 70s, the air with just enough load of pollen, dust, and tiny insects to form golden shafts at times when the sunlight made it through gaps in the fully-leafed trees. This was the first ride I've had this year that had just a hint of Summer in it. Lots of company, of course. 10 much-needed miles.






    rod
    Last edited by rholland1951; 06-03-14 at 05:49 PM.

  24. #3499
    Senior Member deburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite, 19xx Cannondale Rockhopper
    Posts
    324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    I can answer only for our GPS, a DeLorme PN60. I would imagine Garmin and others are all different.

    The PN60 comes bundled with DeLorme Topo North Am and a special cable to connect it to a computer to copy maps, GPS routes, and recorded tracks between the computer and the GPS. To create a GPS route I first create a route in Topo NAm. The process is similar to DeLorme Street Atlas, of which I have been a fan for many years. I enter a starting point, a collection of via's based on the turns specified for the route, and an ending point. I put in enough via's to guarantee that it goes the way I want it to. It computes the turns and routing info in some format and creates a route file. I then just copy it to the GPS. To follow it I just select it on the GPS from the ones stored there, tell it to navigate.

    The process requires that I track out on the Topo NAm map the route instructions for the course I want to follow. It can be tedious but it means I have to study the maps of the area, which is good. Sometimes an old route doesn't agree with current road conditions. I've tried entering GPS tracks directly from club routes online, but they are usually 3000 waypoints or something similar, recorded every 50 or 100ft. Topo NAm can follow them but it is way too many for the PN60 to create a route. I learned that the hard way on a similar ride when I didn't understand the significance of the warning the PN60 gave me at the start of a ride. Some miles into unknown territory it suddenly had no more route information! Fortunately it also lets me follow a recorded track, though with less certainty. Anyway, having the maps available means I can always find my own way if necessary. The PN60's user interface is nice but took me some learning time to become fully functional with it.


    In fact, the name is Road Biking Massachusetts, subtitled A Guide to the Greatest Rides in Massachusetts, by Tom Catalini. (I checked your link but I don't see any connection to the book.) It was published in 2007 so while it isn't totally contemporary it is pretty accurate. Running the routes through Topo NAm is a good reality check. We've done several rides or partial rides from it. The route we've done from my house (or Bedford) to Nashua, NH was developed from one in that book.
    Thanks for the detailed reply, Jim.
    1995 Cannondale T400, 1980's Bianchi Strada, 1998 Trek 1200, Bickerton Folding Bike

  25. #3500
    ---- buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newton, MA
    Posts
    4,551
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still a bit west of the Metro East but here's a little pic of the end of pretty much every ride I do out here. I live at an elevation of around 2000' and one of the final climbs is a 1.1 mile stretch with an elevation gain of just under 700'. It averages about 12% wih a couple of 17%
    sections.

    I discovered this part of the Berkshires when a fellow bike riding friend said, "you like hills? I got a tough one for you. Ride this road." He was right and I fell in love with the forest it led into and eventually got a little house up here.

    But man, this hill damned near kills me everytime I do it and I ride it every other day I'm here. By the end of the summer it gets a bit easier.

    I usually crest it and keep right on going too tired to even stop. Today I turned and took this picture.

    image.jpg

    If it looks like it drops off into space that's because it kind of does.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •