Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 122
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Had enough of the rain yet?

    This makes 17 out of 19 days in June with rain, with more on the way. The long range forecast is for 10 more days of rain.

    I had this grand plan to start commuting by bike from Brooklyn to the Grand Central area. I bought 2 Kryptonite locks, got my mtd ready, scoped out a parking area, and haven't done it even once. I would watch the cyclists as I crossed the Manhattan Bridge on the Q or B train, but there have only been a handful the last few weeks.

    At least I've been on a few long rides on the weekend.

  2. #2
    dmann
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central Mass.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much better here in Mass-a-2-****ts! I've actually resorted to blowing off cutting the grass, vacuuming the pool and all manner of chores so I can get a good ride in when the weather allows, needless to say my better half is none to happy

  3. #3
    BikeNewbie stark23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hamden, CT USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, here in southern CT it's rain, rain and more rain. I just ordered fenders and a waterproof shell. I'm just going to ride in the water, to hell with it.
    JimK
    MadeofAwesome.net
    2009 Giant Defy 3, 1983 Trek 850, 2008 Schwinn Sidewinder
    Eternal vigilance is the price of butter.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Schwinns
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fact: The night after work that I finally give up and buy and install fenders, NYC will suddenly find itself in the midst of the longest drought in history.

    Fact: I just jinxed the above and it won't stop raining until the end of August.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    time for me to get fenders, gatorskins and a rainsuit.

  6. #6
    stole your bike roadiejorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Bergen, NJ
    My Bikes
    Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact
    Posts
    6,696
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had my fill of riding in the rain and that's all I have to say about that.
    I like pie

  7. #7
    dmann
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central Mass.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you...the sun will shine one of these days!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    2,030
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! For those of us who wimp out and put our bikes away in November, the "season" here in the Northeast is way too short AS IS. Does it have to rain in JUNE? Where was all this moisture in April, when our May flowers needed it and it was still too cold to ride anyway?

    Seriously, I usually do my "big" ride of the year some time in July or August, and I use the month or two ahead of it to burn off some pounds and un-Jello my legs. At this point, I haven't been on the bike more than one day in the past month, and that was just a quickie ride from Hoboken to Liberty Park! I can't see being ready to do any kind of decent length trip this summer at THIS rate.

    But who wants to hear ME whine. We're all in the same boat...
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  9. #9
    Senior Member Commando303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    This makes 17 out of 19 days in June with rain, with more on the way. The long range forecast is for 10 more days of rain.

    I had this grand plan to start commuting by bike from Brooklyn to the Grand Central area. I bought 2 Kryptonite locks, got my mtd ready, scoped out a parking area, and haven't done it even once. I would watch the cyclists as I crossed the Manhattan Bridge on the Q or B train, but there have only been a handful the last few weeks.

    At least I've been on a few long rides on the weekend.
    You and I are in the same boat. And, in this weather, we're going to be in it for a while, because biking sure as hell isn't an appealing option...

  10. #10
    Safety First...then SPEED MaskedRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had it enough! Day after day I wake up and find the same sky. It takes away riding opportunity and also makes me depressed.

  11. #11
    Female Member KitN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had enough of the rain!
    /rant
    This is already the 7th most rainy June, EVER, in recorded history! We aren't even done with June yet... And by the time we're done, I think we'll have broken the record for the rainest June in this area known to man.

    This rain puts London to shame. Constant. Daily. Cold. Heavy. Steady. Did I mention DAILY?!? What the hell happened to summer? What the hell happened to the sun?!?

    I've got fenders. I've got TWO rain ponchos and I still get soaked! It rained so hard two days ago that it was raining UP from the ground. The rain just bounced off the ground and came up from underneath me. WTF?!? It was even raining SIDEWAYS at one point. Again, WTF???

    I've had it with the monsoon. This is ridiculous. I think I'm going to be taking a weekend trip in New Orleans or something; were they are actually having a "summer". I'll actually be able to ride my bike!
    /end rant

    In the meantime, it's not pouring rain right now though it's forecast to a bit later so I'm hopping on my bike to get in a few precious minutes on my bike before the rain starts yet again.
    Ride what you like. Ride in what you like.

  12. #12
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was so thrilled to see a little bit of sunlight Friday that I immediately did three laps around Central Park before the sun could disappear behind the clouds again.

  13. #13
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex View Post
    Fact: The night after work that I finally give up and buy and install fenders, NYC will suddenly find itself in the midst of the longest drought in history.

    Fact: I just jinxed the above and it won't stop raining until the end of August.
    you read my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  14. #14
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to get out for a quick spin this am while the sun was still peeking out - finally finished waking up, doing the dishes, etc, rolled the bike out - rain

    I did a few miles just for the hell of it , came home, threw on the running shoes and jogged a few miles for the first time in a year or so. Man, that hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 4 loops of Prospect Park in yesterday, and I thought about going out this morning too but didn't actually do it. Good thing. It started to rain again at about 10. My wife was going to do the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island with some friends (I just watch) and she was hoping for the rain since she wasn't so convinced that she wanted to do it. I wonder if it went on.

  16. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rain Rain go Away

    With all due respect, you won't melt. It's good to sharpen you skills by riding in the rain. Not as many bikers out who don't know how to be courteous. Even a bit more peaceful in NYC when it's raining. No one wants to get the hair wet !!!

  17. #17
    stole your bike roadiejorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Bergen, NJ
    My Bikes
    Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact
    Posts
    6,696
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
    With all due respect, you won't melt. It's good to sharpen you skills by riding in the rain. Not as many bikers out who don't know how to be courteous. Even a bit more peaceful in NYC when it's raining. No one wants to get the hair wet !!!
    Cleaning up the bike is what I don't like, getting wet doesn't bother me. You do sharpen your skills though because you have to compensate for wet roads when steering and you have to be aware of potential hazards you don't worry about when it's dry. I got 40 miles in this morning and got caught in a bit of light rain on the way back.
    I like pie

  18. #18
    Senior Member bagel007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KitN - Location: NYC
    Stacy - Location: Below 14th Street
    pgoat - Location: N Y C
    zacster - Location: Brooklyn NY

    All of you - ranting and complaining. Ha-ha-ha! All from New York, tough guys.
    Fenders, rain ponchos. Fender-shmenders. Ponchos-shmonchos.

    Bagel007 - Location: Northern NJ
    No fenders, no ponchos, no rain gear. Shorts, t-shirt, sneakers. Into the rain on local MUP. And what do I see? Joggers, walkers (some of them I could swear over the age of 80 on TWO canes), cyclists (boy-girl dating on bikes... rain? what rain?), cyclists with ponchos, a cyclist in PAJAMAS, a cyclist with wife and two children all of them on bikes. Or just groups of people with umbrellas looking as if discussing the most important questions of the past, present and future in Korean, Russian, Hebrew, Italian, Arabic, Aramaic -- or even in English. Do I you hear someone complaining or ranting about rain or weather in general? NO. NOW that's TOUGH. Well after all, we are NOT NEW YORKERS!!

    WAIT! The rain in NJ is not as wet as in NYC ....



    (And yes, when I got home, I've cleaned my bike chain and relubed it in my garage.)

    Now let's see if the People of New York City have a grain of sense of humor.
    Giant Cypress 2009

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Schwinns
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    I got 4 loops of Prospect Park in yesterday, and I thought about going out this morning too but didn't actually do it. Good thing. It started to rain again at about 10. My wife was going to do the Mermaid Parade in Coney Island with some friends (I just watch) and she was hoping for the rain since she wasn't so convinced that she wanted to do it. I wonder if it went on.
    Hey, I did 5 loops yesterday too, I think I started around 7:30 or something. The concert/show started and brought out a lot of people who were clogging up the road in front of the bandshell. Oh well, still nice to stretch out without stop lights.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn
    My Bikes
    Schwinns
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah and the constant threat of rust on a steel frame is never fun to deal with. It isn't the RIDING part that bothers me, it's the cleaning up the bike part that blows. It's a big production since I need to lay out the newspapers/plastic tarp so the floors don't get disgusting while I'm cleaning.

  21. #21
    Female Member KitN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bagel007, you seemed to have missed the part where I mention RIDING IN THE RAIN (DAILY). Maybe you missed it when you were rushing to judgment?

    I went out this morning for a spin. It was raining, yet again. Yes, that's right: I was riding in the rain again. <<< I put that in bold so you can see it just in case you have your judgmental blinders on again. LOL!
    Last edited by KitN; 06-20-09 at 02:28 PM.
    Ride what you like. Ride in what you like.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride my bike to relax and enjoy. Add rain to the mix and the enjoyment fades. If I were training for racing, tri, or a long distance I guess I would go out and do it. But I'm not.

    I've done a fair share of long rides in the rain and some felt good and some didn't. I did Seattle to Portland in a heavy rain many years ago. I stopped about halfway for the rain to let up and it did, so I continued on and finished, 200 miles. It was great. I did the 5 boro this year in the rain and it sucked.

    I hate cleaning up afterwords too.

  23. #23
    Death fork? Naaaah!! top506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The other Maine, north of RT 2
    My Bikes
    '71 Gitane Super Corsa, '73 Atala Giro d'Italia, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '76 Viscount Aerospace Pro, '81 Miyata 710, '81 Lotus Classique, '84 Ross Signature 290s, '84 Shogun 500, '85 Miele Gara, '87 Miyata 512, '89 Centurion Ironman, many more
    Posts
    3,113
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just did a 65 mile charity ride on a steel framed 1976 Viscount through the hills and mountains of Maine, with pelting rain every foot of the way.
    Top
    You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

  24. #24
    stole your bike roadiejorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Bergen, NJ
    My Bikes
    Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact
    Posts
    6,696
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagel007 View Post
    KitN - Location: NYC
    Stacy - Location: Below 14th Street
    pgoat - Location: N Y C
    zacster - Location: Brooklyn NY

    All of you - ranting and complaining. Ha-ha-ha! All from New York, tough guys.
    Fenders, rain ponchos. Fender-shmenders. Ponchos-shmonchos.

    Bagel007 - Location: Northern NJ
    No fenders, no ponchos, no rain gear. Shorts, t-shirt, sneakers. Into the rain on local MUP. And what do I see? Joggers, walkers (some of them I could swear over the age of 80 on TWO canes), cyclists (boy-girl dating on bikes... rain? what rain?), cyclists with ponchos, a cyclist in PAJAMAS, a cyclist with wife and two children all of them on bikes. Or just groups of people with umbrellas looking as if discussing the most important questions of the past, present and future in Korean, Russian, Hebrew, Italian, Arabic, Aramaic -- or even in English. Do I you hear someone complaining or ranting about rain or weather in general? NO. NOW that's TOUGH. Well after all, we are NOT NEW YORKERS!!

    WAIT! The rain in NJ is not as wet as in NYC ....



    (And yes, when I got home, I've cleaned my bike chain and relubed it in my garage.)

    Now let's see if the People of New York City have a grain of sense of humor.
    Not wanting to get wet has nothing to do with being tough or not, you'll find out what tough is when we give you the cinzano treatment.

    I like pie

  25. #25
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bagel007 View Post
    (And yes, when I got home, I've cleaned my bike chain and relubed it in my garage.)
    Garage? What's a Garage? I have to carry my muddy bike up two flights of stairs and clean it off in the shower!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •