Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northeast Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-09, 09:59 AM   #1
NeezyDeezy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NeezyDeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NYC: Big thanks to Canal Metro Bikes

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'd like to highly recommend the Metrobikes Canal st shop. They've done an excellent job with everything I've ever given them, no matter how atypical or tricky, and at good rates. I've also always gotten the bike back exactly when they said they would be finished with it - even in the busy season! They're also open seven days a week. Thanks a lot to the staff there. For full disclosure, I'm just a satisfied customer who has used a lot of shops across the city and I have had enough inconsistent experiences elsewhere to motivate me to want to share news of a good shop now that I've found one.

-Nate
NeezyDeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 10:51 AM   #2
Stray8
Senior Member
 
Stray8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nueva York
Bikes:
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What bikes do you have and what type work have you had performed there?

.
Stray8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 11:30 AM   #3
Kevrob
Eternal Newbie
 
Kevrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Connecticut
Bikes: Univega Trail
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You might want to repost in the Market Place's "Manufacturer, Retailer, and Consumer Feedback" area.

Kevin
Kevrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 12:42 PM   #4
NeezyDeezy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NeezyDeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray8 View Post
What bikes do you have and what type work have you had performed there?

.
I had them build up a frankenstein utility bike from frame and components - for that I had all kinds of idiosyncratic preferences, such as installing v-brake noodles to reroute shifter cables and getting the angle of inline levers just so, all of this was done very well. They have also installed various kinds of brakes on a new build of mine, and letting me try them and settle on a pair I liked without having to commit to the others. Finally, I have had them tension and true several wheels - road, mountain, and yes, even a mountain wheel with an electric hub motor in it.

Last edited by NeezyDeezy; 06-24-09 at 12:45 PM.
NeezyDeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 02:07 PM   #5
Stray8
Senior Member
 
Stray8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nueva York
Bikes:
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeezyDeezy View Post
They have also installed various kinds of brakes on a new build of mine, and letting me try them and settle on a pair I liked without having to commit to the others.

So they sell used parts as new now, do they???






.
Stray8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 05:11 PM   #6
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander
 
Stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Below 14th Street
Bikes: Sirrus
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in the neighborhood so back when I was shopping for a bike I stopped in at Canal Metro to see what they had. Even though I was the only customer in the store the salesmen completely ignored me. That pretty much convinced me to go with Bicycle Habitat instead.

Maybe things have improved since?
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 09:11 PM   #7
NeezyDeezy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NeezyDeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
I live in the neighborhood so back when I was shopping for a bike I stopped in at Canal Metro to see what they had. Even though I was the only customer in the store the salesmen completely ignored me. That pretty much convinced me to go with Bicycle Habitat instead.

Maybe things have improved since?
Well, in each of my cases I knew just what I wanted and told them.
NeezyDeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 09:36 PM   #8
Folder4life
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NEW YORK
Bikes: Brompton Custom Built
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish some salesman would leave me alone when I'm just checking out new stuff. I hate it when they stand next to me and try to get me to buy something. If I need help, I will let you know!
Folder4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 10:35 PM   #9
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander
 
Stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Below 14th Street
Bikes: Sirrus
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If someone had just asked if I could use a little help that would've been fine. I wandered around for maybe 20 minutes looking at the bikes but nobody seemed to care. I also like to browse but it's good to have a sales person nearby in case you decide you actually want to buy anything. No high pressure sales at Bicycle Habitat either. They're usually much too busy for that. But at least they don't make me feel ignored.

I've also been to Metro Bikes on Sixth Avenue and 15th Street. They only seem to care slightly more than the shop on Canal Street. Maybe because it's a chain?
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 09:21 AM   #10
jeebusaurousrex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: Schwinns
Posts: 851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
If someone had just asked if I could use a little help that would've been fine. I wandered around for maybe 20 minutes looking at the bikes but nobody seemed to care. I also like to browse but it's good to have a sales person nearby in case you decide you actually want to buy anything. No high pressure sales at Bicycle Habitat either. They're usually much too busy for that. But at least they don't make me feel ignored.

I've also been to Metro Bikes on Sixth Avenue and 15th Street. They only seem to care slightly more than the shop on Canal Street. Maybe because it's a chain?
Bike Habitat generally has attentive, but low pressure sales guys which I dig. Even though their prices are a bit high, I still shop there because they've been so helpful.

Oh and I joined TA finally so I can get a discount!
jeebusaurousrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 12:27 PM   #11
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander
 
Stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Below 14th Street
Bikes: Sirrus
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bicycle Habitat gave me a good deal on my Sirrus but their accessories definitely aren't cheap. They sometimes offer discounts to people who Facebook them or follow their tweets.
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 AM.