Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Roosevelt Island (NY) Bike Path?

    Hey, does anybody have any idea how long this bikeway is? My wife and I will be riding Manhattan again sometime soon and I'm wondering if this is worth a detour.

    Are there any cool outdoor restaurants on the island? Anything else worth seeing?
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    My Bikes
    S5 VWD
    Posts
    3,447
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a nice ride around the Island, don't remeber any "cool" restaurants.

    Long Island City Vernon Blvd has a number of good restaurants http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...&cd=1&resnum=1

    I would recommend Tournesol & Bella Via Restaurant

  3. #3
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >>>Its a nice ride around the Island, don't remeber any "cool" restaurants.<<<<

    I should have clarified that. A "cool" restaurant, to me, is one that has outdoor seating, a place to park bikes, a very relaxed dress code, and plain, inexpensive food - with vegetarian options. (Chipotle is my favorite restaurant in the world.)

    Anyway, from what I've read, Roosevelt Island is not exactly Restaurant Row. But I hear there are places by the waterside for a picnic. Perhaps we'll just brown-bag it.
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  4. #4
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Wikipedia Roosevelt Island is about two miles long though the last time I was there, the southern end is fenced off and undeveloped. It's a car-free, or car-light, environment but I don't remember seeing any official bike path. You can ride to the north end where there's park space and maybe some barbecue pits.

    If you're looking for cool restaurants with open air seating and bike parking you might do better looking around Long Island City or taking the tram to the East Side.

  5. #5
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes to all the above. The MUP path is a bit tight in spots and you have to cross a short but slightly dicey bridge (depending upon construction status - we haven't been there in a while). It's not really a great opportunity to hammer or anything but it does give some lovely views and it's a peaceful spot. I think your idea to brown bag is a good one.

    Or, just pop back over into LIC to eat afterward, as mentioned above.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  6. #6
    Huffy Powered heypaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    My Bikes
    2 year old 26" Huffy
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    Hey, does anybody have any idea how long this bikeway is? My wife and I will be riding Manhattan again sometime soon and I'm wondering if this is worth a detour.

    Are there any cool outdoor restaurants on the island? Anything else worth seeing?
    Hey Papa Tom... The bike path that goes around Roosevelt Island is 3.55 miles long. I clocked it when I rode it for my Tour de NYC 620+ miles of bike lanes. Since the 2009 bike map shows it bidirectional, I rode it both clockwise and counterclockwise for a grand total of 7.10 miles.

    There are no bike path signs or markings, but it pretty much hugs the perimeter of the island.

    There are 3 ways to get on the island:
    1. Roosevelt Island Tram, which allows bikes and is the cost of subway fare. It can be a scary ride, but offers a wonderful view of the City and Queens. Do not worry about getting stuck up there for 10 or 20 hours in the event of mechanical trouble. Since the unfortunate incident a couple of years ago, each car has a bucket and a privacy curtain stashed away, in case you need to relieve yourself, while the engineers try to figure out how to rescue you.

    2. The F train stops on Roosevelt Island, which is just a couple of stops from midtown. It takes about 10 minutes by train. Once at the station, it's only about 5 or 10 minutes to negotiate the 10 banks of escalators which bring you up to the island from the station which is about 800 feet below the ground.

    3. And then there is the bridge that you can access from 36th Ave & Vernon Boulevard on the Queens side. They are working on the pedestrian/bike lane and it is very narrow and the sign says to walk your bike.

    The Roosevelt Island Historical Society has a Visitor Center, which is housed in an original kiosk from the Queensborough Bridge trolley lines, which ceased operating in 1955. They have a webside at

    http://www.rihs.us/

    One of my favorite buildings is the Octagon, which housed the NYC Municipal Lunatic Asylum, which was opened in 1839. I just love the name of that place.

    The Chapel of the Good Shepherd goes back to 1889. On the northern end of the island is the restored Lighthouse which was built in 1872. It's not open to the public.

    There are two long term care hospitals on the island. They have a neat 1930's aging look, especially when viewed from the Queens side.

    Not on the main bike path, but accessible from a gate on the south end of the island on the side facing Manhattan are the ruins of the Smallpox Hospital, which was opened in 1854 and designed by the man who designed St. Patrick's Cathedral.

    Most importantly and little publicized are three outdoor unisex restrooms on the northern end on the Queens side. Don't let too many people know about this, as the great unwashed crowds of bike riders will quickly turn this oasis into a pigsty.

    I've never been on the island at night, but hope to get there within the next week or so, as the view of Manhattan lit up at night must be tremendous. Also on the Queens side, you can probably see flames shooting out of the stacks of the Big Allis electrical generating plant, as it struggles to meet the insatiable megalomaniacal power needs of the city.

  7. #7
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heypaul View Post
    There are 3 ways to get on the island:
    1. Roosevelt Island Tram, which allows bikes and is the cost of subway fare. It can be a scary ride, but offers a wonderful view of the City and Queens. Do not worry about getting stuck up there for 10 or 20 hours in the event of mechanical trouble. Since the unfortunate incident a couple of years ago, each car has a bucket and a privacy curtain stashed away, in case you need to relieve yourself, while the engineers try to figure out how to rescue you.
    I still remember watching that on the local news. Just as the reporter was doing a live shot some "mysterious" liquid began to pour out of the stalled cable car!! I guess when nature calls in a situation like that there isn't much else you can do.

  8. #8
    Huffy Powered heypaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    My Bikes
    2 year old 26" Huffy
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    I still remember watching that on the local news. Just as the reporter was doing a live shot some "mysterious" liquid began to pour out of the stalled cable car!! I guess when nature calls in a situation like that there isn't much else you can do.
    That's true. I have to give credit to the cable car operators for now providing some degree of privacy for those of us with unresolved issues from our toilet training, who get stuck up there for a day or two.

  9. #9
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /\ see, now this is one reason why I won't get on a R44 or R46 subway car. when ya gotta go, ya Gotta Go!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the general consensus? Should we incorporate this ride into a mini Tour De Queens (ie Flushing Promenade through Astoria and LIC to Roosevelt Island) or not?
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  11. #11
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how much you want to ride. The views aren't bad but you can still get nice views from Astoria Park, Queensbridge Park and several other locations along the western Queens waterfront. Technically Roosevelt Island is part of Manhattan so if you're doing a mini Tour De Queens you might want to visit Gantry Plaza State Park instead.
    Last edited by Stacy; 07-01-09 at 09:27 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Commando303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Heypaul, for the information. I remember when I tried to get onto Roosevelt Island from the Queensboro Bridge. I spent a good five minutes hovering over the piece of land before I realizing the 59th Street Bridge simply doesn't let traffic off anywhere but on Manhattan and on Queens. I didn't walk over to Queens, so never saw the bridge of which you speak that connects Queens to Roosevelt.

    I do wish there were a way of joining the 59th to Roosevelt Island, or of designing a small bridge from Manhattan to it, but, considering the path you've mentioned, at least, it seems, there is one free means of access.

    Thanks again.

  13. #13
    Huffy Powered heypaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    My Bikes
    2 year old 26" Huffy
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    So what's the general consensus? Should we incorporate this ride into a mini Tour De Queens (ie Flushing Promenade through Astoria and LIC to Roosevelt Island) or not?
    Papa Tom... Speaking for General Census, I'd say do go on the island. I've consulted a lawyer, who told me that it is not necessary to incorporate this trip, unless you are doing it for commercial reasons.

    Weak jokes aside, if you've never been on Roosevelt Island, aka Welfare Island, aka Blackwell's Island, aka Manning's Island, aka Varckens Island, aka Minnahanonck, then definitely go. It has a wonderful mix of old buildings, patients at the two long care hospitals, middle income people living in the development from the 1970's, a priceless view of Big Allis, the Ravenswood generating plant and almost no highly intense cyclists who in their attempt to break the sound barrier on the straight stretches of bike path, creating air turbulence that throw geezers on Huffys like myself to the ground.

  14. #14
    Huffy Powered heypaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    My Bikes
    2 year old 26" Huffy
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando303 View Post
    Thanks, Heypaul, for the information. I remember when I tried to get onto Roosevelt Island from the Queensboro Bridge. I spent a good five minutes hovering over the piece of land before I realizing the 59th Street Bridge simply doesn't let traffic off anywhere but on Manhattan and on Queens. I didn't walk over to Queens, so never saw the bridge of which you speak that connects Queens to Roosevelt.

    I do wish there were a way of joining the 59th to Roosevelt Island, or of designing a small bridge from Manhattan to it, but, considering the path you've mentioned, at least, it seems, there is one free means of access.

    Thanks again.
    Commando303... You're welcome. I notice you're listed as a senior member. If that refers to your age, then possibly you were remembering that there did exist a connection from the Queensborough Bridge to Welfare Island that existed until 1957. At midspan, the bridge is over Roosevelt Island. There was an 8 story building on the island whose roof connected to the bridge. I think the exact name of the building was the Elevator Storage building, though it was commonly known as the "upside-down building". It got that name because the lobby and main entrance was on the 8th floor top of the building. The trolleys from Manhattan and Queens stopped at midspan and passengers could take an elevator from the 8th floor of the building down to the island. These elevators also took cars and ambulances down to the island as this was the only way vehicles could gain access. This connection was replaced by the rinky dink bridge from Queens which opened in 1955.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where the heck did that Gantry Plaza State Park come from? In all my years as a New Yawka, I've never, EVER heard that name mentioned. It looks a bit like Astoria Park, which would definitely be worked into our trip, too.

    I guess I'm going to blow off another day of work researching this new destination...
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  16. #16
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nothing like Astoria Park which is considerably older and has a fantastic view from the foot of the Triboro Bridge.

    I think Gantry Plaza is a fairly recent development to spruce up the waterfront around Queens West - some of the tallest buildings in Queens. It's a waterfront park surrounding the old Gantry rail bridges and that great Pepsi Cola Sign. Water Taxi Park is to the South and Hunter's Point which was just acquired by the City earlier this week is slated to become some kind of huge affordable housing development.

    More info in Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantry_Plaza_State_Park

  17. #17
    Ogr8nwmypstmksnosnse pgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    1986 Trek 500, 2003 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
    Posts
    2,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gantry is worth a looksee imo, but Astoria Park is very picnic-able. Also check out the Socrates sculpture Park at Broadway and Vernon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
    People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Commando303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heypaul View Post
    Commando303... You're welcome. I notice you're listed as a senior member. If that refers to your age, then possibly you were remembering that there did exist a connection from the Queensborough Bridge to Welfare Island that existed until 1957. At midspan, the bridge is over Roosevelt Island. There was an 8 story building on the island whose roof connected to the bridge. I think the exact name of the building was the Elevator Storage building, though it was commonly known as the "upside-down building". It got that name because the lobby and main entrance was on the 8th floor top of the building. The trolleys from Manhattan and Queens stopped at midspan and passengers could take an elevator from the 8th floor of the building down to the island. These elevators also took cars and ambulances down to the island as this was the only way vehicles could gain access. This connection was replaced by the rinky dink bridge from Queens which opened in 1955.
    It does not refer to my age and I had no idea the Queensboro Bridge ever connected to Roosevelt Island. When I took to the former to reach the latter, I just "assumed" a connection existed, and ended up disappointed. I think it'd be nice if the "upside-down building," as you've cited it, still stood (I assume it does not).

    Say, how came you across all this information regarding Welfare Island? Are you a resident? Simply interested in its history? Looking up trivia on Google.com for the sake of this thread?

  19. #19
    Huffy Powered heypaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    My Bikes
    2 year old 26" Huffy
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Commando303 View Post
    I think it'd be nice if the "upside-down building," as you've cited it, still stood (I assume it does not).

    Say, how came you across all this information regarding Welfare Island? Are you a resident? Simply interested in its history? Looking up trivia on Google.com for the sake of this thread?
    You're right, the "upside-down building" no longer exists. Actually, I just learned that the elevator storehouse was not the only means of access to the island. The island could also be reached by steamboat, but even with a fleet of 15 boats they were not able to supply the needs of the 8,000 to 10,000 who lived in the institutions run by the city.

    I'm not currently a resident of Roosevelt Island, although in another life I suspect I may have resided in the NYC Lunatic Asylum.

    I've been on the island several times over the years, but it wasn't until I rode it as part of my sexycentennial+ tour of all the NYC bike paths, that I've really gotten a feel for the place.

    I'm just fascinated by a timeless quality of the island, especially in its being so close to Manhattan.

    I was in Queens yesterday torturing myself trying to ride the bike paths connecting Forest Park, Highland Park(actually in Brooklyn). I took the F train back to Brooklyn and decided to stop off on Roosevelt Island and pick up a copy of "The Queensboro Bridge" a recently published book.

    I took some shots on the island.

    http://community.webtv.net/hey-paul/...eltIsland70209

    Can anyone identify a flower that I took a couple of shots of??

    I'm hoping to view the fireworks from Roosevelt Island Saturday night. And yes, I know, they're not shooting them off in the East River, but I hate people, so I figured that Roosevelt Island might be an ideal place to go.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    My Bikes
    S5 VWD
    Posts
    3,447
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great shots and presentation.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >>>>Can anyone identify a flower that I took a couple of shots of??<<<

    I'm no expert, but that stuff looks a bit like kujo (sp?) a wild growth that attacked and killed a lot of the greenery in Atlanta a few years back. I hope you didn't take any spores home with you, as they are likely to activate (as soon as the sun shines again) and eat you in your sleep.
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  22. #22
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stacy:

    I just Google-Mapped Gantry State Park and switched to Street View. Unless I'm missing something, I think I may have already seen the entire park (48th to 49th Street). Do you have any idea how far along the river it stretches? Thanks, Stacy.
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  23. #23
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,875
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Also, can somebody tell me what to do once I get over the 36th Avenue Bridge? Google's Street View is showing an interchange after the bridge (by the big parking garage) that doesn't look very bike-friendly. Come to think of it, the bridge itself doesn't seem to have a bike lane, either.
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  24. #24
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    Stacy:

    I just Google-Mapped Gantry State Park and switched to Street View. Unless I'm missing something, I think I may have already seen the entire park (48th to 49th Street). Do you have any idea how far along the river it stretches? Thanks, Stacy.
    I guess I should've also mentioned that Astoria Park is much larger than Gantry Plaza. No it doesn't run very far. Part of what makes it interesting are the two Gantrys and a couple of relatively new piers that go fairly far out into the East River. I saw someone catch some nice striped bass last time I was there. Queens West is there and it's right next to Water Taxi Beach.

  25. #25
    Car-Free Flatlander Stacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Below 14th Street
    My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Posts
    1,976
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    ...Also, can somebody tell me what to do once I get over the 36th Avenue Bridge? Google's Street View is showing an interchange after the bridge (by the big parking garage) that doesn't look very bike-friendly. Come to think of it, the bridge itself doesn't seem to have a bike lane, either.
    No bike lane and it's a steel deck bridge. Last time I was there my front wheel went into one of the gaps! Ouch!! I'd strongly recommend using the sidewalk. It's a short bridge and not worth the risk of injury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •