Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northeast Connecticut | District of Columbia | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-29-10, 09:37 PM   #1
kabex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kabex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New York City bike shops ?

Hello all, I wanted to know who could guide me to some bike shops in NYC

My fiancee is doing a business trip there in January and I want her to bring me a brand new bike!!

I am pretty stoked on the Specialized Allez STEEL, I'm hoping to find a 2010 model still which retailed for $600 (2011 is $700), or the normal Allez if I find a good deal.

I want to know what the "better" shops are with online presence so I can browse around so when I call I have some idea.

My plan is to call them, arrange what I need maybe pay online (can I skip local taxes this way?) and just have my fiancee pick it up.
kabex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 09:43 PM   #2
TJClay
Senior Member
 
TJClay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca.
Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the shipping costs will out weigh the tax savings
TJClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 09:53 PM   #3
kabex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kabex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJClay View Post
I think the shipping costs will out weigh the tax savings
Why? I'm buying it online but doing local pick up? What shipping costs?
kabex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 11:31 PM   #4
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander
 
Stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Below 14th Street
Bikes: Sirrus
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does Specialized even do steel frames? I think most shops that waive the sales tax will insist on shipping the bike out of state.
Try this http://bicyclehabitat.com/product/sp...ct-57587-1.htm
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 11:39 PM   #5
kabex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kabex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
Does Specialized even do steel frames? I think most shops that waive the sales tax will insist on shipping the bike out of state.
Try this http://bicyclehabitat.com/product/sp...ct-57587-1.htm
Yup check it out:
http://bicyclehabitat.com/product/sp...el-59487-1.htm

$550!! awesome price (it's $720 msrp for the 2011)
so I am paying tax anyway? Specialized bikes can't be shipped out of state and that's not the point. I want my fiancee to go pick it up. I don't have anything against paying taxes just thought I could save the 50 bucks(almost half my rent!).
kabex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 12:00 AM   #6
kh777
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NY
Bikes: Colnago VIP, Specialized Langster Comp, Specialized Epic, Don Walker track, John Cherry
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have her check out Robert's Bicycles in Queens (http://www.robertsbicycles.net/RoadBikes.htm). Or use their advertised price as a guide, since it might not be conveniently located. They don't appear to have the allez steel on special, but the normal aluminum allez is advertised at 600.
kh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 12:04 AM   #7
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander
 
Stacy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Below 14th Street
Bikes: Sirrus
Posts: 1,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send them an email and see what they can do for you. They're right here in Manhattan, near Soho, and they always have good prices on bikes. Their accessories can get a bit pricey though.
Stacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 11:02 AM   #8
dendawg
Senior Member
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabex View Post
Hello all, I wanted to know who could guide me to some bike shops in NYC

My fiancee is doing a business trip there in January and I want her to bring me a brand new bike!!

I am pretty stoked on the Specialized Allez STEEL, I'm hoping to find a 2010 model still which retailed for $600 (2011 is $700), or the normal Allez if I find a good deal.

I want to know what the "better" shops are with online presence so I can browse around so when I call I have some idea.

My plan is to call them, arrange what I need maybe pay online (can I skip local taxes this way?) and just have my fiancee pick it up.
Remember she will have to pay the NYC sales tax which is almost 9%. Possibly a $100 baggage fee to the airline. And then there is the possibility of having to pay duty taxes bringing it into Mexico.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 11:07 AM   #9
kabex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kabex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
Remember she will have to pay the NYC sales tax which is almost 9%. Possibly a $100 baggage fee to the airline. And then there is the possibility of having to pay duty taxes bringing it into Mexico.
Still better than paying almost double down here.
kabex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 02:57 PM   #10
dendawg
Senior Member
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh777 View Post
Have her check out Robert's Bicycles in Queens (http://www.robertsbicycles.net/RoadBikes.htm). Or use their advertised price as a guide, since it might not be conveniently located. They don't appear to have the allez steel on special, but the normal aluminum allez is advertised at 600.
Roberts was my neighborhood bike shop for years. I grew up in Whitestone. Every bike I ever owned except for 2 came from that shop. I was in there a few months ago and noticed an allez on closeout for under $400.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:04 PM.