Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Alpine Ascent

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Alpine Ascent

    Anyone know the distance in feet at the Alpine Lookout Ascent from the river to Rte.9W?

  2. #2
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,127
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek330 View Post
    Anyone know the distance in feet at the Alpine Lookout Ascent from the river to Rte.9W?
    Do you mean the Alpine Approach Road from River Road up to the police station? According to this list its 400' , but I'm not sure if its starting from the traffic circle or the boat basin

    http://www.nycc.org/rides/regional-hill-grades

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    Do you mean the Alpine Approach Road from River Road up to the police station? According to this list its 400' , but I'm not sure if its starting from the traffic circle or the boat basin

    http://www.nycc.org/rides/regional-hill-grades
    Yes that's what i mean.What a great list!I don't see the ascent at the end of the Greenway from under the GW to the Henry Hudson.I wonder what the grade is on that stretch!

  4. #4
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,127
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek330 View Post
    Yes that's what i mean.What a great list!I don't see the ascent at the end of the Greenway from under the GW to the Henry Hudson.I wonder what the grade is on that stretch!
    My garmin edge once gave me a reading of 20% which it might well be. I stopped looking at the grade reading as it would just psych me out on long climbs. Grades tend to fluctuate on long climbs anyway. I did a ride last year where one of the hills hit a grade of 24% at one brief point, but the overall average wasn't as bad as another shorter hill that had a longer 20% grade to it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that Alpine measure is from the river.It doesn't feel like a mile from the circle.

  6. #6
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,127
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek330 View Post
    I think that Alpine measure is from the river.It doesn't feel like a mile from the circle.
    It is about a mile from the circle to the police station. I just checked on www.toporoute.com and from the parking lot to the police station is 1.33 mile with a rise of 475' and an average grade of 6.6%

  7. #7
    Senior Member dendawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,127
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just returned from riding it and according to my Edge 305 it was .79 mile (from the traffic circle to where the road levels out about .14 miles before the turn into the police station) with an altitude gain of 305', but to be honest I could ride it again tomorrow and the altimeter will give a different reading.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •