I'm thinking of doing a random mid-week solo century this week out of Boston (overly ambitious with a touch of self-loathing... I love cycling).
Based off of my calculations, I could make it from home to the top of Mt. Wachusett and back in roughly 100mi. I'm not a skier, and haven't been to Wachusett... my questions:
(1) Anyone have a favorite route like this?
(2) Is the road to the top open? Is there a preferable way to climb this lil hill?
1) Never done a route like that from Boston but have climbed Wachusett many times.
2) The summit road is closed until August for tower repairs. Climbing the rest from 140 is still a good climb though, maybe 8% for 3/4's of a mile. My friend likes to climb it from the 62/31 side. Both options are good I guess.
3) If you're planning to take rt 62 to 140, the bridge is out at that junction. You can detour around it, adding a mile or so. Did you say you were doing the B2B this year? If so, how's the training going?
Hey sorry for the slow reply, but I appreciate the info! I ended up tabling the "Assault on Mt. Wachusett" until the road is repaired... it'll make a nice late summer ride I bet. I did a nice 100mi loop West of town instead.
Originally Posted by guy2600
I am training for the B2B... I managed a solo century last week with 5000ft of climbing and a 16.5mph average with a bit still left in the tank... so i think I am going to survive the ride... still working on speed and climbing (as always).
The road may be closed but plenty of people are biking to the top. It's closed to cars but but bikers can get around the gate easily and the authorities don't seem to mind.