Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northeast (http://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/)
-   -   New York City to Newark NJ by Bicycle! It's going to happen! (http://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/739341-new-york-city-newark-nj-bicycle-its-going-happen.html)

tjc9005 08-10-12 11:17 AM

I just did my first commute to work from NJ with the help of this thread. I moved to Maplewood from Brooklyn about a year ago and my bike commuting up to 168th street in Manhattan ended.

Today I went from Maplewood to Newark via Springfied Ave and then under the turnpike to Doremus Ave. Heading north on Doremus I went under the Lincoln Highway bridge over pass and immediatly looked to my left to see the "stairs" leading to the westbound side of the Lincoln Highway bridge.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...ins/stairs.jpg
Walked up the stairs (they are earthen and have been dug out), over the guardrail and across the bridges easily to Lincoln Park. To be clear, I was headed eastbound on the westbound side of the bridge. I did this because I could not figure out from what I read if there is a safe path on the eastbound. Looked like there was but I did not have time to confirm.

I should have done a bit more reach on the best route to GWB from Jersey City but I cobbled together a route up Palisade Ave as far as I could go and then cut down (west) to River road then north to the GWB.

Took me a long time. 3 hours for 31 miles. Hopefully I can cut this time to make it a realistic commute at least a few times a month. Looking for long unimpeded riding for a quicker commute if anyone has any suggestions.

Tim

____ 08-10-12 02:33 PM

From Jersey City to the GWB, take Kennedy Blvd north to 49th Street, turn right, then left on to Bergenline. This north to 79th Street, then right into the park (Braddock). Then successively bear left, right and left to line up on Palisade Avenue into Cliffside Park and Fort Lee. An alternate is to remain on Bergenline north into Bergen County, lining up onto Anderson Avenue into Cliffside and Fort Lee, then right onto Main Street for the bridge.

Also in Cliffside Park and Fort Lee, from Columbia/Lawton avenues in Cliffside to Gerome Avenue/Main Street in Fort Lee is the old trolley ROW, which is marked as Railroad Avenue in Cliffside and Abbott Boulevard in Fort Lee; this runs north-south between Palisade and Anderson and is a low-traffic alternate to the main roads.

An alternate to Bergenline in North Hudson is Boulevard East, which technically begins almost riverside at the Hoboken line but can be picked up from the equivalent of about 43rd Street (Clifton Terrace) in Weehawken, this can be followed up to Palisade Avenue at the north end of Braddock park, at Woodcliff Avenue. Awesome skyline views off to the east.

Once "up the hill" from the Jersey City Heights on north, it doesn't pay to descend to River Road only to have to ascend back to the bridge at the Edgewater/Fort Lee line, any of the above alternates should save some time in that regard.

Dahon.Steve 08-11-12 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjc9005 (Post 14589634)
I just did my first commute to work from NJ with the help of this thread. I moved to Maplewood from Brooklyn about a year ago and my bike commuting up to 168th street in Manhattan ended.

Today I went from Maplewood to Newark via Springfied Ave and then under the turnpike to Doremus Ave. Heading north on Doremus I went under the Lincoln Highway bridge over pass and immediatly looked to my left to see the "stairs" leading to the westbound side of the Lincoln Highway bridge.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...ins/stairs.jpg
Walked up the stairs (they are earthen and have been dug out), over the guardrail and across the bridges easily to Lincoln Park. To be clear, I was headed eastbound on the westbound side of the bridge. I did this because I could not figure out from what I read if there is a safe path on the eastbound. Looked like there was but I did not have time to confirm.

I should have done a bit more reach on the best route to GWB from Jersey City but I cobbled together a route up Palisade Ave as far as I could go and then cut down (west) to River road then north to the GWB.

Took me a long time. 3 hours for 31 miles. Hopefully I can cut this time to make it a realistic commute at least a few times a month. Looking for long unimpeded riding for a quicker commute if anyone has any suggestions.

Tim

Beautiful. Thanks for posting!

We have to find out who is responsible for fixing this bridge. I'm searching for names and numbers because these steps have to be repaired. There is no reason one should risk their lives going up that ramp or injuring themselves on those steps. I'm glad this thread can be searched on Google and people are using these bridges for commuting. Please, if anyone can find out the party responsible, please post the name and number. I want to start writing and calling to get these repairs completed.

Dahon.Steve 08-11-12 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC (Post 14589031)
Here's where I apologise again for being dense: "West side" of the bridge? What do you mean by that? Do you mean the westbound (north) side, i.e., the Kearny-to-Newark side, the side we are talking about, the side with the stairs that I haven't found?



OK, from this bit, it appears that it is not the westbound side that you are talking about; but, rather the other side -- the eastbound (south) side, the Newark-to-Kearny side. (Once again: please forgive my lack of comprehension! I thank you for going over this. I just really want to nail it down.)

HI:

I guess you can call it the Eastbound side since it's goes from Newark to Kearny. However, you don't really need to use this side because there are no steps and the ramp does not allow you to get back up the sidewalk since it's blocked with a concrete barrier. It's not necessary because the side that we use is perfect if it were not for the stairs. Also, you really can't ride all the way because it's very narrow in one spot with the traffic going full speed just 3 feet from you! I guess this is why they have that bus stop there because you can't walk all the way to Jersey City going eastbound.

NO cell phone! LOL.

I too waited until 2003 before getting my first cell phone. I didn't want another bill but was forced to buy one once all the pay phones were taken off the street. I had the unfortunate experience of having to use a public pay phone and was grossed out by how filty it was. The reception was poor because the phone was also broken!

People don't remember when you didn't have to own a phone and could just use public pay phones that were everywhere. I refuse to pay the $70.00 dollars a month for a data, voice and text like everyone else. I use a prepaid phone (Virgin Mobile) and use Magic Jack for regular calls at home. My phone bill is about what I was paying 20 years ago.

Dahon.Steve 08-11-12 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 14588709)
I am curious about this, too, but cannot form a mental picture in my mind. On the Sunday before labor day, our club will be holding its anual ride from New Hope to Brooklyn. We will be heading up Doremus Ave. and then taing the ramp up to Lincoln Highway. The group I lead has always ridden in the roadway. Traffic is not heavy on that day. But some riders are fearful of the highway and take the walkway on the bridge across the Passaic.

I would appreciate it if you could describe any alternative routing to get into Jersey City from Doremus, keeping in mind that I only ride up there once a year. Thanks in advance.

Please don't use the road way anymore! You don't hae to risk your life with those trucks. There's a picture of the steps you can walk up slowly it's on the west bound side of the bridge. I would avoid going up the ramp because it's in the the opposite direction. Once you're on the bridge, it's easy riding to Jersey City.

tjc9005 08-11-12 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ____ (Post 14590467)
From Jersey City to the GWB, take Kennedy Blvd north to 49th Street, turn right, then left on to Bergenline. This north to 79th Street, then right into the park (Braddock). Then successively bear left, right and left to line up on Palisade Avenue into Cliffside Park and Fort Lee. An alternate is to remain on Bergenline north into Bergen County, lining up onto Anderson Avenue into Cliffside and Fort Lee, then right onto Main Street for the bridge.

Also in Cliffside Park and Fort Lee, from Columbia/Lawton avenues in Cliffside to Gerome Avenue/Main Street in Fort Lee is the old trolley ROW, which is marked as Railroad Avenue in Cliffside and Abbott Boulevard in Fort Lee; this runs north-south between Palisade and Anderson and is a low-traffic alternate to the main roads.

An alternate to Bergenline in North Hudson is Boulevard East, which technically begins almost riverside at the Hoboken line but can be picked up from the equivalent of about 43rd Street (Clifton Terrace) in Weehawken, this can be followed up to Palisade Avenue at the north end of Braddock park, at Woodcliff Avenue. Awesome skyline views off to the east.

Once "up the hill" from the Jersey City Heights on north, it doesn't pay to descend to River Road only to have to ascend back to the bridge at the Edgewater/Fort Lee line, any of the above alternates should save some time in that regard.

Wow, lots of good info here. Thanks . These routes look very promising.

Dahon.Steve 08-12-12 10:34 PM

OK. I discovered the East Bound route is actually possible! Form Doremus Avenue, you go up the sidewalk from the ramp all the way to the bridge. I found it very easy and actually safe but I'll take pictures next time. You don't have to climb the steep dirt path like I stated in prior posts.

I still think the road may not be safe all the way and I did find a highway sign on the bridge forcing you to dismount and walk over it. I have to admit that I was scared but the view from the bridge was incredible. There's a heliport on the that I never knew existed and a prision on the west side. This has really been fun exploring Kearny New Jersey of all places and I'm enjoying it.

What makes using the East Bound route dangerous is the lack of protection from traffic. The cars are going 60-70 mph like there's no tomorrow.

indyfabz 08-20-12 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 14593082)
Please don't use the road way anymore! You don't hae to risk your life with those trucks. There's a picture of the steps you can walk up slowly it's on the west bound side of the bridge. I would avoid going up the ramp because it's in the the opposite direction. Once you're on the bridge, it's easy riding to Jersey City.

Thanks. So if we stay straight heading north on Doremus and cross under the bridge we will see the stairs? Lincoln Park is exactly where we need to get to. Once in the park, the route goes up the hill after the circle and then left on West Side Ave.

BTW...Since our ride is on the Sunday before Labor Day, there aren't many/any trucks on Lincoln Highway, at least not heading east. All the roads through the port Lyle King, McLester Corbin and Port) and Doremus Ave. are virtually traffic-free. But any convenient car-free alternative is appreciated.

Dahon.Steve 08-20-12 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 14628023)
Thanks. So if we stay straight heading north on Doremus and cross under the bridge we will see the stairs? Lincoln Park is exactly where we need to get to. Once in the park, the route goes up the hill after the circle and then left on West Side Ave.

BTW...Since our ride is on the Sunday before Labor Day, there aren't many/any trucks on Lincoln Highway, at least not heading east. All the roads through the port Lyle King, McLester Corbin and Port) and Doremus Ave. are virtually traffic-free. But any convenient car-free alternative is appreciated.

You do have to cross under the bridge to get to the stairs. (West Bound). I'm exploring the East bound side and actually found it EASIER to get on the bridge. There are problems and I will report them next week. I was too scared two weeks ago but I now have the courage to make the trip! This is really interesting and I'm having fun! LOL!

Ferdinand NYC 08-22-12 10:54 AM

Thanks to Steve for all his information on this.

I still have not done this going east, from Newark to Jersey City; so I will be very interested to read his final opinion on both bridges (Newark to Kearny; Kearny to Jersey City), on whether the westbound or the eastbound side is a better choice going east.

indyfabz 08-24-12 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 14631077)
I'm exploring the East bound side and actually found it EASIER to get on the bridge. There are problems and I will report them next week. I was too scared two weeks ago but I now have the courage to make the trip! This is really interesting and I'm having fun! LOL!

Do tell. Is there a rideable path/walkway on the side with traffic heading east that spans both rivers and reaches Communipaw Ave?

indyfabz 09-03-12 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjc9005 (Post 14589634)
I just did my first commute to work from NJ with the help of this thread. I moved to Maplewood from Brooklyn about a year ago and my bike commuting up to 168th street in Manhattan ended.

Today I went from Maplewood to Newark via Springfied Ave and then under the turnpike to Doremus Ave. Heading north on Doremus I went under the Lincoln Highway bridge over pass and immediatly looked to my left to see the "stairs" leading to the westbound side of the Lincoln Highway bridge.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...ins/stairs.jpg
Walked up the stairs (they are earthen and have been dug out), over the guardrail and across the bridges easily to Lincoln Park. To be clear, I was headed eastbound on the westbound side of the bridge. I did this because I could not figure out from what I read if there is a safe path on the eastbound. Looked like there was but I did not have time to confirm.

I should have done a bit more reach on the best route to GWB from Jersey City but I cobbled together a route up Palisade Ave as far as I could go and then cut down (west) to River road then north to the GWB.

Took me a long time. 3 hours for 31 miles. Hopefully I can cut this time to make it a realistic commute at least a few times a month. Looking for long unimpeded riding for a quicker commute if anyone has any suggestions.

Tim

Perhaps we have different standards and expectations, but I rode part of this yesterday and it was absolutely miserable. Came north on Doremus, went under Lincoln, up the dirt stairs and headed east on the path. Littered with trash, glass, sand-like dirt that was dangerous to ride through and weeds in places. We had to stop for 5 min. to extricate a plastic bag that became entangled in my GF's RD. As soon as we could we crossed over and took the roadway across the second bridge.

wck 09-04-12 04:39 AM


I should have done a bit more reach on the best route to GWB from Jersey City but I cobbled together a route up Palisade Ave as far as I could go and then cut down (west) to River road then north to the GWB.


Dumb question, but what part of Manhattan are you going to? If it's in lower manhattan, the ferries across the Hudson from JC & Hoboken will let you bring a bike. (Liberty Landing ferry, bike is free; NY Waterway is $1 for the bike.) It might save you going all the way north to the GW and then south again in Manhattan.

If you're on Communipaw, you head up over the hill, back down, left on Grand and follow that to the water. Paulus Hook, which has a NY Waterway ferry dock and the Liberty Landing dock is along the water to your right (If you reach the Hudson on Grand, look right, the NY Waterway dock is right there :) )

tjc9005 09-04-12 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wck (Post 14688791)

I should have done a bit more reach on the best route to GWB from Jersey City but I cobbled together a route up Palisade Ave as far as I could go and then cut down (west) to River road then north to the GWB.


Dumb question, but what part of Manhattan are you going to? If it's in lower manhattan, the ferries across the Hudson from JC & Hoboken will let you bring a bike. (Liberty Landing ferry, bike is free; NY Waterway is $1 for the bike.) It might save you going all the way north to the GW and then south again in Manhattan.

If you're on Communipaw, you head up over the hill, back down, left on Grand and follow that to the water. Paulus Hook, which has a NY Waterway ferry dock and the Liberty Landing dock is along the water to your right (If you reach the Hudson on Grand, look right, the NY Waterway dock is right there :) )

I work right by the GWB in northern Manhattan. I wish a ferry went up there.

tjc9005 09-04-12 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 14686208)
Perhaps we have different standards and expectations, but I rode part of this yesterday and it was absolutely miserable. Came north on Doremus, went under Lincoln, up the dirt stairs and headed east on the path. Littered with trash, glass, sand-like dirt that was dangerous to ride through and weeds in places. We had to stop for 5 min. to extricate a plastic bag that became entangled in my GF's RD. As soon as we could we crossed over and took the roadway across the second bridge.

My post was to document feasibility of the bike path route. I made no comment on the merit of the path vs roadway or how it did or did not meet my standards. When someone gets there, they can decide the best route for themselves.:thumb:

The ride was, however, easy for me. I enjoy urban wasteland biking and did not find the path any more treacherous than most industrial routes or urban trails. I ride a converted mountain bike though and this is usual terrain for me. I would not enjoy taking the road on either bridge during business/commuting hours. It was pretty hectic.

indyfabz 09-17-12 02:35 PM

The west (north) side is quite feasible if you like riding through inches deep sections of loose dirt (or whatever that black stuff was,) trash, debris and getting scratched by foliage. I would not recommend this route to anyone, especially if they are riding a road bike with "skinny" tires, as I see no merit in it at all. I will stick to the road next year.

Ferdinand NYC 09-18-12 07:08 AM

You're going to ride on the road from Jersey City? With the trucks? Yow.

Well, better you than me. I prefer the sidewalk, despite the annoyances of the debris. I took the north-side sidewalk going west a couple of times this past summer, as I mentioned here in this thread; and it certainly was passable.

Next year, I will take that route eastbound from Newark to Jersey City. I figure I'll go via the earthen stairs shown above, which lead to the north-side sidewalk (the sidewalk on the westbound side). But if Steve (or anyone else) has an update about the possibility of using the sidewalk on the south (eastbound) side of the bridge, I'd be eager to read it.

will be was 09-19-12 09:14 PM

Another way from Hackensack
 
I then took Anderson east; it becomes Cedar Lane in Teaneck. I then went north on Teaneck Road, to hit Forest Ave. And Forest Ave. crosses Overpeck Creek easily; the creek is very narrow at that point.

You can use this to go to from Hackensack to Bogota, Teaneck, Leoina and to Fort Lee. In Hackensack use the bridge on E. Salem street to Fort Lee Road, on to GW Bridge. Most likely save you 20 minutes.
Sometimes (reverse) I go to Cosmic Wheels in Ridgefield Park using this route.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8458/8...625bd32a_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8175/8...fca68fd1_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8305/8...28394e81_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8457/8...da998c19_b.jpg

Bacciagalupe 09-19-12 09:38 PM

Well, I wound up doing the full Jersey City to Newark route this weekend.

It's miserable. I'm an experienced cyclist, and I hope I never have to take this route.

The route pretty much puts you in close proximity to 60+ mph traffic, into industrial wastelands of Newark, and onto a narrow trash-strewn section of a bridge....

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps7e69614a.jpg

Maybe someday they can fix some of the infrastructure. Until then, I'll take the PATH.

tjc9005 09-20-12 01:40 PM

Quote:

The route pretty much puts you in close proximity to 60+ mph traffic, into industrial wastelands of Newark, and onto a narrow trash-strewn section of a bridge....
I know, its a pretty awesome ride;)

I am not sure who they are but I do know I can't always be waiting for them to do something.

I find it to be a very useful route.

Ferdinand NYC 07-02-13 09:50 AM

I hope it's OK to bump this thread from last year! I did this ride again on Sunday, both ways, going from my home in Woodhaven, near the Brooklyn/Queens border, to downtown Newark, and back, for a total of 82 miles / 132 kilometres. One thing that I took more notice of this time was how large and impressive Lincoln Park in Jersey City is.

The ride from Jersey City to Newark is largely the same as it was last year. As I did last year, I approached on Communipaw Ave., and then lifted my bike over the rail onto the bridge path right after the light at the intersection with 440. The path on the westbound side of the Jersey City-to-Kearny bridge is just as overgrown as before. The approach to the Kearny-to-Newark bridge (the last bit when you have to get on the sidewalk) was rather more gravelly (actually you could call it sandy) than last time; so I had to go very slowly on that.

I still didn't see the earthen stairs as I was coming off the bridge in Newark; so I just took the regular exit ramp down to Doremus Ave. However, once I was on Doremus headed south, I looked to the right and saw the earthen stairs for the first time. New for this year is a wooden handrail that is constructed to the right of the stairs.

In checking out the stairs, I found them a bit hard to climb. So, when I went back, I just rolled my bike up the incline to the right of the stairs (and to the right of the new handrail).

It is a bit frustrating to be in the outskirts of Newark; and the fact that you can't just hop on Raymond Blvd. and go west is unfortunate. But the 7-mile detour down Doremus, then west across on Wilson Ave. to where it hits Ferry St., then up Ferry to the centre of town around Penn Station is not so bad. Once Wilson crosses Stockton St., under 1/9 (only a short way from Doremus), you're out of the industrial zone and into the Ironbound section, which is pretty pleasant.

The only thing that I did differently from last year was that, on the way back, I was able to take the eastbound side of the Kearny-to-Jersey City bridge by crossing the street to the eastbound side at Hackensack Ave., after having ridden east on the sidewalk of the westbound side from the Newark-to-Kearny bridge up until Hackensack Ave. (Alas, the path on eastbound side of the Kearny-to-Jersey City bridge is just as overgrown as the path on the westbound side is.)

One side observation about something in all three New Jersey counties that I went through, Bergen, Hudson, and Essex: most of their Walk / Don't Walk signs are constructed in such a way that you can't see them from the side. I suppose that this is to discourage drivers from rolling up as the Don't Walk sign blinks. That's probably a good idea; but it is a hinderance for a bicyclist.

I stop at all red lights (and I really dislike those bicyclists who don't do this, as they give us all a very bad name); but I use the side view of the blinking Don't Walk sign to help me get a rolling start as the light turns green. When I got back to New York City, it was a pleasure to be able to do this once again.

All in all, it was a very nice ride, even if the temperature was not as high as I would have liked it. (It was only about 80 degrees; I like it in the 90s or even hotter.) I'd say to any experienced city rider that this ride is doable and overall a lot of fun, even if the bridges and their approaches are a wee bit challenging.

noglider 07-05-13 01:44 PM

You must really like riding in cities and industrial areas. Crossed over between Newark and Jersey City twice. It was pretty difficult for me, and I have experience in tons of types of terrain, especially cities. I'm glad you said it was a very nice ride. For me, both rides were big adventures. I hope they do making crossing the Passaic more bike friendly eventually. I know it's in the plans, but the plans may take a long time to become reality.

Dahon.Steve 07-06-13 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferdinand NYC (Post 15806209)
The ride from Jersey City to Newark is largely the same as it was last year. As I did last year, I approached on Communipaw Ave., and then lifted my bike over the rail onto the bridge path right after the light at the intersection with 440. The path on the westbound side of the Jersey City-to-Kearny bridge is just as overgrown as before. The approach to the Kearny-to-Newark bridge (the last bit when you have to get on the sidewalk) was rather more gravelly (actually you could call it sandy) than last time; so I had to go very slowly on that.

I still didn't see the earthen stairs as I was coming off the bridge in Newark; so I just took the regular exit ramp down to Doremus Ave. However, once I was on Doremus headed south, I looked to the right and saw the earthen stairs for the first time. New for this year is a wooden handrail that is constructed to the right of the stairs.

I can't believe my thread is back! LOL!

You don't have to ride Route 440 and lift your bike over the rail. The safe entrance to the bridge path is going through Lincoln Park. You'll see these huge stairs which does require lifting your bike over them into the bird sanctury section of the park. Once crossing of the bridge, you'll go to your left all the way until you see the opening.

I also noted the city installed a wooden handrail!! I think this thread and my complaints to the city had something to do with this! It makes the climb up the stairs slightly safer.

I have to agree with the poster who stated the garbage and glass really makes the trip miserable. However, for those living in Hudson County, this is the only bridge crossing to reach Newark and other crossings are miles away. The reason you see so many cyclist on the Path Train is due to this problem. I will continue to complain to the city about cleaning the path each year. It's a shame this path is cleaned maybe once every five years.

I really liked riding this industrial area because I've never been there having lived in Jersey City most of my life. There are abandoned locomotives, an adult prison, a heliport and a recycling plant all in the same location. As Ferdinand said, I had no idea Lincoln Park was so huge but few ever go explore beyond the entrance. It is an adventure for sure but isn't this what we're looking for?

Dahon.Steve 07-06-13 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjc9005 (Post 14755589)
I know, its a pretty awesome ride;)

I am not sure who they are but I do know I can't always be waiting for them to do something.

I find it to be a very useful route.

+1

The industrial wastelands of Newark are only dangerous at night. During the weekend, it's empty with no truck movement. I only recommend using this route during the day but the speed of the traffic isn't too bad. I think riding down Broadway in New York City to be more dangerous! LOL!

It is a very useful route and we need to make sure those in authority know it is being used. Please send mulitple emails to the Mayors of Jersey City, Newark and Kearny like I have been doing for past two years.

Ferdinand NYC 07-06-13 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 15820118)
I can't believe my thread is back! LOL!

You don't have to ride Route 440 and lift your bike over the rail. The safe entrance to the bridge path is going through Lincoln Park. You'll see these huge stairs which does require lifting your bike over them into the bird sanctury section of the park. Once crossing of the bridge, you'll go to your left all the way until you see the opening.

Ah, I see the stairs on the aereal view of the map in Google Maps. Good tip.

This time I entered the park through the Belmont Ave. entrance, and rode inside the park. But that route dumped me out of the park at Marcy Ave., one block shy of the intersection with 440. So, I just figured I'd go the one block on the street, and hop the railing.

I see now that I didn't have to exit the park at Marcy Ave.; I could have taken that in-park route over another overpass (north of the one with the stairs), and then right up to the entry to the path over the bridge.

I plan to go back soon; so I will try it that way next time.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 15820118)
I also noted the city installed a wooden handrail!! I think this thread and my complaints to the city had something to do with this! It makes the climb up the stairs slightly safer.

I was happy to see the handrail just as a sign that someone is paying attention. But I didn't make any use of it, as I rolled my bike up the incline, rather than using the stairs. When I tried the stairs, I kept slipping; and the handrail is too far away (for me) for it to be useful. (Anyway, I usually carry my bike with my right arm; so I couldn't hold the bike and the handrail at the same time.)


Quote:

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 15818131)
You must really like riding in cities and industrial areas.

I do indeed like riding in cities, and, to some degree, in industrial areas. The idea of riding on country roads doesn't attract me at all. While it would be nice not to have to stop for a long stretch in a rural setting, I am very drawn to the urban environment. To me, that's the real bicycling. (To be honest, I get bored rather quickly even by parks, even if I can appreciate the beauty of a great urban park.)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 15820118)
I have to agree with the poster who stated the garbage and glass really makes the trip miserable.

As for the routes over the Jersey City-to-Kearny and Kearny-to-Newark bridges, I'd characterise them as challenging, but not miserable. Those spots certainly weren't my favourite parts of the trip; but they were easy enough if I went slow; and they surely didn't spoil the fun of the whole trip, which was riding through the cities of Hudson County and through Newark.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve (Post 15820118)
However, for those living in Hudson County, this is the only bridge crossing to reach Newark and other crossings are miles away.

Other crossings? What other bikeable crossings from Hudson County to Newark exist?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 AM.