Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    C&O Tow Path and Great Allegehney Passage Thread

    This thread is for those of us who ride or intend on riding all or part of the C&O Tow Path and/or the Great Allegehney Passage. You can talk about past trips, future plans, trail conditions or anyother related subject.s Here is a little bit about myself.

    I am a 51 years old living in Pittsburgh. I Ride the GAP on a regurlar basis and have ridden all sections multiple times. Meyersdale PA to Frostberg MD is my favorite section. A couple of years ago I try to ride the entire length from Pittsburgh to DC but had a major allergey attack just out of Cumberland (I must be allergic to Western Maryland). I ended ridding my bike for about half the distance of the C&O Tow Path and rode in the car for the rest. This year I did a one day ride from Ohio Pyle to The Point in Pittsburgh which is 76 miles.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Mark

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Milford, NJ
    My Bikes
    Brompton M6R ( Navy/Orange)
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all. My goal is to ride from Pittsburgh to Maryland (just the Allegheny) this coming spring. I live in Northern NJ, so I have to figure out the logistics of getting to Pittsburgh and also getting my car to MD for the finish. I plan to leave Pittsburgh on a Friday and finish on Tuesday. Again, this is my goal. Looking forward to other posts on this topic.

    JT

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ever1ast15 View Post
    Hello all. My goal is to ride from Pittsburgh to Maryland (just the Allegheny) this coming spring. I live in Northern NJ, so I have to figure out the logistics of getting to Pittsburgh and also getting my car to MD for the finish. I plan to leave Pittsburgh on a Friday and finish on Tuesday. Again, this is my goal. Looking forward to other posts on this topic.

    JT
    There are various shuttle services, although some are for groups:

    http://www.atatrail.org/pv/shuttleservices.cfm

    Maybe You could park in Cumberland, get shuttled to PGH and ride back to your car.

    While I realize that people travel at different paces, four days seems long. I rode it in September fully loaded as part of a tour from PGH to PHL. Finished in 2 full days and one morning. Camped in Connellsville and Rockwood. Once you cross the Continental Divide (with about 24 miles to go), it's a pretty fast ride to Cumberland.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bktourer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Ma.
    My Bikes
    Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rails to trails does this from Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD. I did it in 2013 with them. You drop
    Your car in MD. They shuttle u to Pitts. And you ride back to Cumberland. We had about 300 riders

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    My Bikes
    1998 Giant Sedona
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bktourer1 View Post
    Rails to trails does this from Pittsburgh to Cumberland MD. I did it in 2013 with them. You drop
    Your car in MD. They shuttle u to Pitts. And you ride back to Cumberland. We had about 300 riders
    Could you please share the cost of the shuttle from MD to Pitts ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member bktourer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Western Ma.
    My Bikes
    Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember the firm name Rails to trails used.wilderness outfitters? I believe all was included in price

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coney462 View Post
    Could you please share the cost of the shuttle from MD to Pitts ?
    He's talking about an organized ride, the price of which included, anong other things, the cost of the shuttle. Call one of the businesses listed in the link I posted for a price quote. These people seem to get good reviews:

    http://www.ctcbikes.com/

    BTW...They recently tested roll on bike service on Amtrak between Cumberland and PGH. Maybe it will be up and running this summer, but I would not hold my breath.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Garden State exit 135
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking into this gap ride.Is the gap 100 percent off road?I m asking because my wife may go and she will not ride on the road.thanks

  9. #9
    Senior Member Papa Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Syosset, Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996. I also have a collection of cruisers, folders, and some antiques.
    Posts
    1,628
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have become very interested in this ride since reading about it elsewhere. Being from Long Island, I have the same issue as others with regard to getting to a start/finish point, but it does seem like there are some options.

    My main concern is overnight stays. As much as I'd love to camp, I do not own camping gear, have never camped in my life, and don't plan to make the investment this late in the game. Are there decent places to stay along the route?
    Papa Tom

    "I just need a rest...and by 'rest' I mean a really long bicycle ride."

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Insight One
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    I have become very interested in this ride since reading about it elsewhere. Being from Long Island, I have the same issue as others with regard to getting to a start/finish point, but it does seem like there are some options.

    My main concern is overnight stays. As much as I'd love to camp, I do not own camping gear, have never camped in my life, and don't plan to make the investment this late in the game. Are there decent places to stay along the route?
    Papa Tom,

    I grew up on LI (Farmingdale) but have lived in Pittsburgh for 20 years. I rode the C&O / GAP last September. I too do not camp but found five fine places to stay along the trails. If you decide to make the trip you are welcome to drive to Pgh, park at my home, take the train to DC (as I did), ride the trails from DC to Pgh and then retrieve your car to head home.

    Tom

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tom View Post
    Are there decent places to stay along the route?
    Look at the official web site:

    http://www.atatrail.org/

    I have heard people say they enjoyed stays at the hostel in Connellsville. Have also heard good things about Rockwood. The couple who owns the campground along the trail also have a guest house in town with free Internet, etc.

    http://huskyhavencampground.com/

    I think there are two or three other places in town. A couple of B&Bs and a hostel.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I'm looking into this gap ride.Is the gap 100 percent off road?I m asking because my wife may go and she will not ride on the road.thanks
    There is a short section (less than a mile) just outside of Pittsburgh. It is a dead end access road and has almost no traffic. Other than that it is all trail.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Paul J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancaster County PA
    My Bikes
    1982 Eddy Merckx Campy Super Record, 1995 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campy Centaur, DiamondBack Axis TT, Bushnell Tandem
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some fun winter reading go to http://www.crazyguyonabike.com and search C&O Tow Path or the GAP and read some of the Journals. We are thinking of riding it this summer or next on our tandem. This was a good one for us, http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?..._id=11247&v=2f
    1982 Merckx Campy Super Record, 1995 Merckx Campy Centaur 10, DiamondBack Axis TT, (set-up as city bike), Bushnell Tandem

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Winchester. vA
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtuttle04 View Post
    This thread is for those of us who ride or intend on riding all or part of the C&O Tow Path and/or the Great Allegehney Passage. You can talk about past trips, future plans, trail conditions or anyother related subject.s Here is a little bit about myself.

    I am a 51 years old living in Pittsburgh. I Ride the GAP on a regurlar basis and have ridden all sections multiple times. Meyersdale PA to Frostberg MD is my favorite section. A couple of years ago I try to ride the entire length from Pittsburgh to DC but had a major allergey attack just out of Cumberland (I must be allergic to Western Maryland). I ended ridding my bike for about half the distance of the C&O Tow Path and rode in the car for the rest. This year I did a one day ride from Ohio Pyle to The Point in Pittsburgh which is 76 miles.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Mark
    thanks for the thread mark. the wife and I are going to do A longer ride this summer.and we hope to find a good map of the gap trail and c&o Trail. Can you recommend something please? thank yoU.
    Paul

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by euclidpb View Post
    thanks for the thread mark. the wife and I are going to do A longer ride this summer.and we hope to find a good map of the gap trail and c&o Trail. Can you recommend something please? thank yoU.Paul
    Have you looked at the official web sites?:

    http://www.atatrail.org/tmi/maps.cfm

    http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisi...-bulletins.htm
    "I've wanted you to succeed, but watching you find excuse after excuse after excuse and then laugh it off as the loveable, quirky, chubby guy is getting old."--Ill.Clyde

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I'm looking into this gap ride.Is the gap 100 percent off road?I m asking because my wife may go and she will not ride on the road.thanks
    You may have to leave the trail to get to some services, such as lodging and food sources. You will also have to cross active roads.

  17. #17
    Senior Member WestMass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    2014 Cannondale SL2 Trail Hardtail 29er, 2012 Cannondale CAAD-10 Rival, 2010 Kona Jake the Snake, 198? Schwinn Traveler Single Speed
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have developing plans to ride from DC to Pittsburgh this summer. My wife is having a family reunion in Pittsburgh and she and a friend want to go to DC beforehand. I'll be loaded up with panniers on my tourer/gravelgrinder/commuter that I'm doing a bunch of upgrades to right now. This is the bike now, before anything is changed up. Pretty excited - adding new wheels, dynamo lighting system, new chainrings, handlebars, fork, front and rear brakes.

    blogger-image--1510711724.jpg
    I like the hills.

  18. #18
    don't try this at home. rm -rf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    N. KY
    Posts
    2,458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by euclidpb View Post
    thanks for the thread mark. the wife and I are going to do A longer ride this summer.and we hope to find a good map of the gap trail and c&o Trail. Can you recommend something please? thank yoU.
    Paul
    One of the local bike club riders had this book: Trailbook. It looked good, and has a waterproof map included.

  19. #19
    Junior Member RhinoDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    My Bikes
    Serotta road, Nashbar Touring, Bianchi Cross, Serotta MTB, Schwinn Mesa MTB, Schwinn Moab commuter/backroad tourer
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the GAP and C&O back in 2008 and am planning on doing it again this coming Sept with a small group from our bike club. We'll be using Amtrak from Toledo to Pittsburgh and again from DC back to Toledo. The train time schedules are very favorable when riding from Pittsburgh to DC. I bought the trail guide book and it is very helpful but doesn't list every option so you might want to do some research. CGOAB has been mentioned and I also did a journal about the trip there. We have a couple of side trips planned so we are taking eight days to complete the trip.

  20. #20
    Senior Member BruceHankins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    My Bikes
    Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes! Lots of DC to Pitt people! My plans are a little shorter, from Shepardstown to the W&OD out to Reston and back in a day. Hopefully sometime in April or early May.

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Winchester. vA
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good/looking bike. Enjoy your trip! Maybe we'll see you...

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Garden State exit 135
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting to plan this trip.does anyone know how long it takes to drive a car from Cumberland to Pittsburg.That would be a week day morning.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,429
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    Starting to plan this trip.does anyone know how long it takes to drive a car from Cumberland to Pittsburg.That would be a week day morning.
    According to Google Maps, a little over 2 hrs. maybe build in and extra 30 min. if you go during rush hour. Getting to the Point can be murder during peak travel times.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    Trek Verve 3
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just completed riding the Steel Valley section near Pittsburgh. The paved sections were in good shape with some snow in shaded areas (mostly near Kennywood). Unpaved sections were muddy impassable.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Garden State exit 135
    Posts
    339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the Mud Report.This is the first time I'm reading about this situation.Do you think mud is always a problem after rain or is this a result of the winter snow melt down.I plan on riding end of April or Begining of May.

    I guess I'm asking if it rains Tues and Wednesday,I arrive on Thurs would mud be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •