Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 3, 1995 Raleigh R600
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hi Boston area folks

    Just wanted to say hi to my fellow boston area riders. I live in Malden, so my usual ride has been the northern strand trail (although since late November I've been just on the trainer). Anyway, I've been riding a hybrid and am going to pick up a cheap used road bike from a coworker to maybe get into some races in the future, but I mostly just like doing it and improving my fitness. So, hi, hope to chat with other locals!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,822
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
    Just wanted to say hi to my fellow boston area riders. I live in Malden, so my usual ride has been the northern strand trail (although since late November I've been just on the trainer). Anyway, I've been riding a hybrid and am going to pick up a cheap used road bike from a coworker to maybe get into some races in the future, but I mostly just like doing it and improving my fitness. So, hi, hope to chat with other locals!
    Hi hubcyclist,

    I‘m a decades-long, year-round commuter from Kenmore Square to Norwood, and occasional Centurian during the nice weather. I saw an unusually impressive number of presumed cycle commuters this morning from about 6 to 7 AM especially on the Jamaica Pond Bikepath, so there's a large and ever-growing number of us in Metropolitan Boston.

    A thread you might find interesting is Metro Boston: Good ride today?, an active one with ride descriptions by several local subscribers, Then there was this post on another thread, “no commute for me today…,” from a cyclist in Malden.

    BTW, hc, my wife and I go dancing almost every Saturday night to the Jackson Street Function Suite in Malden, and often go out for dinner to any of several nice restaurants in Downtown Malden. I cycle through Malden a few times a year on training rides in the nice weather. I particularly like riding Highland Ave, and Rte 60 is also a nice cross-town thoroughfare, always on an early Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-13-14 at 10:54 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 3, 1995 Raleigh R600
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim, I haven't become brave enough to commute by bike for only 5 miles, navigating the rotary where 16 and 99 meet, along with the rest of the road into downtown is still a bit daunting, but I think I will participate in group commutes during the summer.

    You may have dined below my apartment (well, at least if you've dined in Malden recently). I recommend the Valle Taqueria for a very casual but very tasty Mexican joint

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Panasonic Sport 500 franken-singlespeed, Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    320
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also live in Malden, and I ride 9ish miles each way to work in the Fenway area. I lived in Malden once before for a few years, before the Northern Strand path existed, and at the time, was taking Main St. through Everett and going through the rotary you mentioned above. While it's a longer distance, I've found a better option for getting from Malden to Boston proper - take the Northern Strand path to Medford St., go the one block over to River's Edge/Commercial St., then ride down that to the Wellington T station. In the far corner of the parking lot, there's an entrance to a short bike path (the Wellington Greenway) that goes under the train tracks and connects to the Station Landing plaza. From there, you can take Rt. 28 into Somerville, and get into Boston a few different ways from there.

    The Wellington Greenway has also been pretty well-maintained when it's snowed...I can't say the same for the Northern Strand, but I've found a couple alternate routes to get around that.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jim from Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,822
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
    …I haven't become brave enough to commute by bike for only 5 miles, navigating the rotary where 16 and 99 meet, along with the rest of the road into downtown is still a bit daunting, but I think I will participate in group commutes during the summer…
    I have the advantage of riding my year-round 14-mile one-way commute early in the AM though residential Boston and Dedham, in the outbound, reverse commuter direction from Kenmore Square. During the nice weather I further lengthen it for century training up to 30 miles on weekdays. Then there is the additional benefit of having the Commuter Rail as back-up, as well as for my usual trip home at night.

    In any case, I was still hit by a careless driver on a wide, lightly-traveled section last year, losing three months of work. So I am reluctant to encourage anyone to cycle-commute (or even ride a bike in traffic ) though I heartily support even the most adventuresome, yet careful cyclist.

    One major confidence booster IMO, beside hi-visibility lights and clothing, safe routes, and prudent cycling behavior, is use of a rear-view mirror. In fact, I wear two, left and right.

    PS to hubcyclist and agmetal: See my PM about Malden restaurants.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Hubcyclist! My favorite Malden cycling experience was when the Pats won the Super Bowl in Feb 2002. I was riding home from a friend's super bowl party and I'd tied a mylar Pats balloon to my bike for extra visibility. It was the most wild ride home ever, in a good way. Everyone was cheering for the girl riding with the Pats balloon!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Metro Boston
    My Bikes
    Cheap Nashbar single speed. Blue
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
    Hi Jim, I haven't become brave enough to commute by bike for only 5 miles, navigating the rotary where 16 and 99 meet, along with the rest of the road into downtown is still a bit daunting ...
    Used to drive that rotary a few years back when I was still coming down from NH. "Daunting" is right. We're in Cambridge now, so I have nothing useful to say about not getting killed on suburban commutes. Hah, I was still driving on bald tires then, and if I was late to work, I'd skid and bounce sideways on that rotary. On time, it would way too congested for that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 3, 1995 Raleigh R600
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teddywookie View Post
    Used to drive that rotary a few years back when I was still coming down from NH. "Daunting" is right. We're in Cambridge now, so I have nothing useful to say about not getting killed on suburban commutes. Hah, I was still driving on bald tires then, and if I was late to work, I'd skid and bounce sideways on that rotary. On time, it would way too congested for that.
    Once spring hits, I may start participating in Bike Friday commute convoys, one of which will come through Malden http://www.bostonbikes.org/events/bi...convoy-routes/ Safety in numbers, I'd hope

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •