Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2 bike shops in NYC have closed as far as I can tell

    I tried to stop into Sids on 34th St. a few weeks ago and they were packing up the shop to move, but they didn't have a place to move to and they couldn't tell me much more. I don't know if they have a place yet. They were close to my office so now I don't have a lunchtime shop to wander to.

    Also, Brooklyn Bike and Board, or is it Brooklyn Cycle Works, on Vanderbilt Ave also appears to be closed. They helped me out recently when a spoke nipple broke right across the street from them.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dave Cutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    in my recliner
    Posts
    1,651
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the time of year when retail establishments often review their options. If the holidays didn't leave them cash plush.... business as usual may not be a choice. Lots of other retail store chains are closing stores and cutting back. I wouldn't expect sporting/cycling shops to do any better.

    It's sad.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sids actually closed before the holidays. They must have lost their lease. But yea, a lot of stores don't make it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Big City
    My Bikes
    Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, I had a bad experience at Sids. I had a flat which I fixed at work, but had pumped the tire with a crappy hand pump, and I wanted to pump the tire properly before heading for home. I stopped in at Sids to borrow theirs. No problem letting use it, but the guy started with, "Do you know how this works?" Err, huh? Yes, I've pumped my tire before, thank you, it's a pump. It went down hill from there, complete with condescending lecture about proper pumping and tire pressure. Yes, I can read the numbers on the side of the tire. It was very strange. I stayed polite, thanked them, and left, never to return. I wasn't a customer that night, but could have been a future one, but not after that experience.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Brooklyn Cycle Works is still in business. I went by tonight and they were open. There is stlll a big "Store for Rent" sign above them, but the store looks the same as always.

  6. #6
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry to hear Sids closed. I have never bought anything there but had visited twice, each time the men in charge were very nice and answered all my questions (one female employee was very hostile but the guy in charge saw that and quickly came over to talk to me). The location was very convenient.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn NY
    Posts
    4,761
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other location of Sids is still open, so maybe they lost the lease on the 34th St store.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfried View Post
    As an aside, I had a bad experience at Sids. I had a flat which I fixed at work, but had pumped the tire with a crappy hand pump, and I wanted to pump the tire properly before heading for home. I stopped in at Sids to borrow theirs. No problem letting use it, but the guy started with, "Do you know how this works?" Err, huh? Yes, I've pumped my tire before, thank you, it's a pump. It went down hill from there, complete with condescending lecture about proper pumping and tire pressure. Yes, I can read the numbers on the side of the tire. It was very strange. I stayed polite, thanked them, and left, never to return. I wasn't a customer that night, but could have been a future one, but not after that experience.
    So, they lent you a floor pump, but were not pleasant enough? Why are you not on Yelp warning everyone. That was mostly a rent thing, Charlie runs a good shop (when he's there, and not too busy counting his money). Stop feeding the stereotype.

  9. #9
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,857
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HUB (Hudson Urban Bikes) in the West Village also closed. Business is down. The owner said Citibike cut his revenue in half. Other shops are saying the same. I didn't predict this side effect and don't know what I'd like to see happen next. Were there really too many shops?
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  10. #10
    Senior Member bmontgomery87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Rush Hour, Leader 721
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfried View Post
    As an aside, I had a bad experience at Sids. I had a flat which I fixed at work, but had pumped the tire with a crappy hand pump, and I wanted to pump the tire properly before heading for home. I stopped in at Sids to borrow theirs. No problem letting use it, but the guy started with, "Do you know how this works?" Err, huh? Yes, I've pumped my tire before, thank you, it's a pump. It went down hill from there, complete with condescending lecture about proper pumping and tire pressure. Yes, I can read the numbers on the side of the tire. It was very strange. I stayed polite, thanked them, and left, never to return. I wasn't a customer that night, but could have been a future one, but not after that experience.
    While I can understand that being frustrated. If you show up at a shop with a tire that isn't properly inflated and ask to use theirs, he probably assumed you didn't know how to correctly use a pump or keep a pump on you.
    He probably came across as a jerk, but given the situation as described, doesn't sound like he was that out of line.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    HUB (Hudson Urban Bikes) in the West Village also closed. Business is down. The owner said Citibike cut his revenue in half. Other shops are saying the same. I didn't predict this side effect and don't know what I'd like to see happen next. Were there really too many shops?
    I know a couple of the most "popular" boutique fixie hipster hangouts are shopping themselves around...

  12. #12
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,857
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wilfried, better to offer something that someone might know than to withhold it when the person might not know. All you have to do is smile, say thank you. He's not trying to hurt you. If you want to show you know it, show it. Maybe tell him how you've imparted the same information to others, also to help.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2011 Mercier Nano, 80s Lotus 10 speed heavily modified
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    HUB (Hudson Urban Bikes) in the West Village also closed. Business is down. The owner said Citibike cut his revenue in half. Other shops are saying the same. I didn't predict this side effect and don't know what I'd like to see happen next. Were there really too many shops?
    Wow, do you know when they closed? The owner was very odd and could be a little frustrating to deal with but I liked some of the other staff and that was the only shop in the city that actually sold a mini velo type bike, the biria mini 20 and they did have some interesting stuff. they did seem to previously depend on rentals and they had an enormous amount of space for a NYC bike shop, in the villiage no less.

  14. #14
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,857
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    HUB's owner, George Bliss is pretty interesting. I was as friendly to him as I could be, but he didn't seem to want to hear my suggestions. Maybe he knows better. I sure don't have any secrets about making money in that business.

    He officially closed in November or December. You can still stop by. One of the big gates is still open, and most of the inventory is still there, but I don't see George there any more. Maybe he's handed the inventory over to others who are liquidating it. Not sure if they're selling anything any more. They appear not to be. George lives around the corner from me, so I still see him go by.

    There's an interesting wikipedia article about him. Check it out. It's a shame he came upon such rough times. He has said to me several times he knows of areas in Brooklyn that are under-served, and he may reopen there. I really appreciate his mission, which is to serve people interested in using bikes exclusively as transportation, not sport. It is a cause I believe in, though not exclusively. I also like riding bikes for fun.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    HUB's owner, George Bliss is pretty interesting. I was as friendly to him as I could be, but he didn't seem to want to hear my suggestions. Maybe he knows better. I sure don't have any secrets about making money in that business.

    He officially closed in November or December. You can still stop by. One of the big gates is still open, and most of the inventory is still there, but I don't see George there any more. Maybe he's handed the inventory over to others who are liquidating it. Not sure if they're selling anything any more. They appear not to be. George lives around the corner from me, so I still see him go by.

    There's an interesting wikipedia article about him. Check it out. It's a shame he came upon such rough times. He has said to me several times he knows of areas in Brooklyn that are under-served, and he may reopen there. I really appreciate his mission, which is to serve people interested in using bikes exclusively as transportation, not sport. It is a cause I believe in, though not exclusively. I also like riding bikes for fun.
    He's not well in the head...

  16. #16
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re #4 ... If I were so fragile I'd been unable to mount on my bike long ago... Once I was looking at the corns at a supermarket, a guy passed by and said to me: "This is corn---do you know?"

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Big City
    My Bikes
    Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Err, gee whiz, the guy treats me like a jerk, and it's my fault cause I needed a pump, and therefore didn't know how to use one? And not keeping a floor pump at the office and having a flabby tire is evidence of this? Why do bike shops offer bike pumps chained at door, if folks don't need to use it from time to time? I know friendly, respectful customer service when I see it, and this wasn't it. I did smile, and said thank you; it was hardly worth a scene. I have no idea if this was a one off, the guy had a bad day, or he just didn't like the looks of me, but wasn't going to bother to back to find out. There are plenty of places to spend my money where they don't give me attitude. I never cared enough to tell this story anywhere before, except that the name of the shop came up. Just sharing one person's experience, which is moot anyway, since they're out of business.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2011 Mercier Nano, 80s Lotus 10 speed heavily modified
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfried View Post
    Err, gee whiz, the guy treats me like a jerk, and it's my fault cause I needed a pump, and therefore didn't know how to use one? And not keeping a floor pump at the office and having a flabby tire is evidence of this? Why do bike shops offer bike pumps chained at door, if folks don't need to use it from time to time? I know friendly, respectful customer service when I see it, and this wasn't it. I did smile, and said thank you; it was hardly worth a scene. I have no idea if this was a one off, the guy had a bad day, or he just didn't like the looks of me, but wasn't going to bother to back to find out. There are plenty of places to spend my money where they don't give me attitude. I never cared enough to tell this story anywhere before, except that the name of the shop came up. Just sharing one person's experience, which is moot anyway, since they're out of business.
    I think people are probably reacting badly to someone writing off a shop because of what appears to be one experience where one guy at a shop gave you attitude......once. you are welcome to go where ever you please and distribute your money how you wish but if I refused to go to a shop that had people who were occasionally rude or dismissive then I would never hit any shops......I usually only write off shops that are in my estimation incompetent and consistantly rude in fact I have found that most shops guys want sales and their attitude is closely related to revenue being generated by their interactions with you.

    This guy could have been a total dick to you and you are probably justified in your criticism but it is hard to convey a tone and inflection of a conversation in this format.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Re #4 ... If I were so fragile I'd been unable to mount on my bike long ago... Once I was looking at the corns at a supermarket, a guy passed by and said to me: "This is corn---do you know?"
    OMG!, Creamed or whole kernel?...

  20. #20
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,579
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelreason View Post
    OMG!, Creamed or whole kernel?...
    Fresh ears of corn in husk

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    Fresh ears of corn in husk
    You showed amaizeing restraint...

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spoke to George from the "Hub". As of last week, he said they are going to stay open, but may divide the space. If that idea doesn't work out, he has other ideas.. (relocate, etc). He did put some of his inventory in storage to accommodate shrinking the space.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thugpipe View Post
    Wow, do you know when they closed? The owner was very odd and could be a little frustrating to deal with but I liked some of the other staff and that was the only shop in the city that actually sold a mini velo type bike, the biria mini 20 and they did have some interesting stuff. they did seem to previously depend on rentals and they had an enormous amount of space for a NYC bike shop, in the villiage no less.
    "The Hub" is not totally gone. See my separate post. They may have limited hours in the winter, and / or, surface with a restructuring come spring.

  24. #24
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    19,857
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, good. I hope he manages to survive. I believe in his mission, so to speak.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    HUB (Hudson Urban Bikes) in the West Village also closed. Business is down. The owner said Citibike cut his revenue in half. Other shops are saying the same. I didn't predict this side effect and don't know what I'd like to see happen next. Were there really too many shops?
    How sad. I heard people were buying helmets in greater quanties but it seems to have hurt the shops too! I read that business returned after 6 months once a "CitiBikes" was started. I really believe the economy is getting ready to head back to recession. The Christmas season was not good for the retail business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •