Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: B ride crash

  1. #1
    Style-challenged platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    B ride crash

    I was out on the AV B ride yesterday cranking up one of the hills on Portola Valley Road when my left crankarm snapped in half. The resulting crash left me a bit dazed and confused, but the AV folks helped me get to the side of the road and made sure I had someone coming to pick me up before continuing on the ride.

    Thanks to all of those folks (I was in no condition to collect names) who made sure I was going to be all right!

    The aftermath: 1 broken crankarm, 1 broken helmet, a bit of road rash on my knee, and some very sore ribs.
    Last edited by platypus; 02-25-07 at 11:12 AM.

  2. #2
    Style-challenged platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the really annoying part is that this was the first time I've gone on the B ride where I was able to keep up with the group on the hills (although we hadn't gotten to OLH yet).

    Curses!

  3. #3
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti SteveE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Republic of Anaerobia
    My Bikes
    Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
    Posts
    3,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of cranks were you using?

    You didn't miss much, though, as we cut the ride short. We rode up OLH but the weather didn't look too promising on the other side so we didn't do the WOLH part. It was raining on Skyline (which wasn't so bad when climbing) and d@mn near froze on the descent. The descent on 84E was a bit tricky (had to take the turns slower than normal). Ended up pretty much heading back to Peet's via Tripp/Kings Mountain/Woodside Maze and trying to stay warm.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...'holy *****...what a ride!'"

  4. #4
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus
    I was out on the AV B ride yesterday cranking up one of the hills on Portola Valley Road when my left crankarm snapped in half. The resulting crash left me a bit dazed and confused, but the AV folks helped me get to the side of the road and made sure I had someone coming to pick me up before continuing on the ride.

    Thanks to all of those folks (I was in no condition to collect names) who made sure I was going to be all right!

    The aftermath: 1 broken crankarm, 1 broken helmet, a bit of road rash on my knee, and some very sore ribs.

    Glad to hear you are ok.
    How long is the B ride and what kind of pace do they ride at?

  5. #5
    Style-challenged platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SteveE - they were Ritchey WCS Compact cranks, I have had them about 8 months. I've emailed Ritchey to see what they can do for me.

    BigSean - The B ride is usually 40-50 miles, and it leaves out of downtown Los Altos at 9am Saturday. It's a great group ride to go on. More information about it can be found at http://www.altovelo.org.

  6. #6
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    7,904
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus
    SteveE - they were Ritchey WCS Compact cranks, I have had them about 8 months. I've emailed Ritchey to see what they can do for me.

    BigSean - The B ride is usually 40-50 miles, and it leaves out of downtown Los Altos at 9am Saturday. It's a great group ride to go on. More information about it can be found at http://www.altovelo.org.
    Where does ritchey make their parts? Only reason I ask is so I can make a joke about "cheap poorly made Chinese parts" vs "Quality parts from good old USA."
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  7. #7
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    7,804
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are okay. Too much power for those Ritchey cranks.

  8. #8
    Style-challenged platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More like too much weight (I'm 250), but strangely they don't have any sort of posted rider weight limit.

  9. #9
    Style-challenged platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this gem on the Ritchey website:

    Cold forged design focuses strength at the high stress pedal and BB interfaces, while removing extra weight from the lower stress center of the arms.
    Gee, mine seems to have snapped right on that "lower stress" center of the arm.

    I've spoken to Ritchey's warranty folks and they've indicated that they're going to send me a replacement arm - only replacing the one part that broke. I'm a little disappointed that they weren't willing to send me a new crankset since I don't trust the other side. Ah well, such is life.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus
    More like too much weight (I'm 250), but strangely they don't have any sort of posted rider weight limit.
    Your personal weight should have nothing to do with a crank arm. Someone lighter than me can put more force on them.
    Did someone wait behind with you until you were picked up?
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  11. #11
    Style-challenged platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50 Extreme Power, Bianchi Pista, Somec single-speed
    Posts
    918
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The folks on the ride included an EMT and a doctor, so they checked me out and made sure I was all right. A fire truck also happened to be driving by, so they also stopped and checked me out to make sure I was OK.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •