Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,810
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Good place to start a Mt. Diablo assault?

    Thinking of driving down to the Devil's Mountain one of these days. Can anybody recommend a good place to park the car, preferably near a decent coffee for before and a decent burrito or burger after?
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra
    Posts
    751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wondering this too. Caloso - this route might be the answer to your question. Coming from Sacromento I'd take the 5 down to 580 and get over to Livermore.

    I make it out to Marin on a regular basis but I haven't taken BART or driven out to the East Bay yet. I don't always have my truck in the city, so taking BART would be preferable. Anyone have a good route accessible from a BART station? I think Dublin/Pleasanton is the closest I can get to the linked route by BART

  3. #3
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,477
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso
    Thinking of driving down to the Devil's Mountain one of these days. Can anybody recommend a good place to park the car, preferably near a decent coffee for before and a decent burrito or burger after?
    From the north: There's a shopping center called Countrywood at Treat and Bancroft - Starbucks, burrito shop, Noah's bagels, Jamba Juice, nice place. They don't really like people to park there and go riding but it's a pretty common practice. A half mile down the bike trail to the west is Heather Farm park, lots of space for cars there and an easy ride to Countrywood. You get there from Ygnacio Valley Road though. About 2 miles from the freeway turn left into the park, go all the way to the end and you'll see the bike trail that goes to Countrywood.

    From the south: No place close to South Gate Road, but Blackhawk (off of Crow Canyon Rd) has a big shopping center with everything you could want - then a couple miles of rolling hills to the entrance.

    Let me know if you want more details.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  4. #4
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,477
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffremer
    Anyone have a good route accessible from a BART station? I think Dublin/Pleasanton is the closest I can get to the linked route by BART
    That route is suboptimal. Take BART to Pleasant Hill and you've got an easy ride to North Gate Road.

    Then if you want to go around the Mountain you can catch Highland Road and Tassajara and skip the Livermore bit.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  5. #5
    noob law_in_motion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Trek 2200
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually just park at the Athenian School which is at the base of Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd. (2100 Mt. Diablo Scenic. You turn left from Diablo Rd. to get to Mt. Diablo Scenic, and then it's your first right turn.) I guess it would depend on how many additional miles you want to do. [I get my fill just going up and down Diablo without the extra mileage.] There's a bunch of shops if you take Diablo Road and go west. Plenty of parking there too. Probably only 3 - 4 miles from the base of the climb. Also, you can take one exit further south on 680, Sycamore Valley Road, and go east which will take you into downtown Danville. Again, lots of shops and parking.

  6. #6
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,810
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks, guys. Awesome responses.
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra
    Posts
    751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott
    That route is suboptimal. Take BART to Pleasant Hill and you've got an easy ride to North Gate Road.

    Then if you want to go around the Mountain you can catch Highland Road and Tassajara and skip the Livermore bit.
    Wow, yeah, this sounds a lot better. I know Marin and San Francisco really well, but I know next to nothing about the East Bay save for a bit of Oakland and Berkeley.

    So I think the the route I want to take from the Pleasant Hill BART is something like this:

    East on Treat to Bancroft
    R on Bancroft/Walnut to N Gate Rd
    Follow N Gate Rd to the Summit
    Back down Summit and either go back to Pleasant Hill or continue on N Gate Rd/Mt Diablo Scenic Blvd.
    L on Blackhawk Rd
    L on Camino Tassajara
    L on Highland Rd
    L on Morgan Territory Rd to Marsh Creek Rd
    Through Clayton to Ygnacio Valley Rd back to Bancroft

    Sounds like ~60-70miles, ~6000ft climbing? Quite a ride. I might go for just the summit first and then give the whole loop a try next.

    My Edge 305 just came this afternoon, I've been tinkering with it - once I get this route mapped out I'll throw it on and give it a try one of these weekends coming up.

    Thanks, Diablo Scott, great help.

  8. #8
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,477
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffremer
    Wow, yeah, this sounds a lot better. I know Marin and San Francisco really well, but I know next to nothing about the East Bay save for a bit of Oakland and Berkeley.

    So I think the the route I want to take from the Pleasant Hill BART is something like this:

    East on Treat to Bancroft
    R on Bancroft/Walnut to N Gate Rd
    Follow N Gate Rd to the Summit
    Back down Summit and either go back to Pleasant Hill or continue on N Gate Rd/Mt Diablo Scenic Blvd.
    L on Blackhawk Rd
    L on Camino Tassajara
    L on Highland Rd
    L on Morgan Territory Rd to Marsh Creek Rd
    Through Clayton to Ygnacio Valley Rd back to Bancroft

    Sounds like ~60-70miles, ~6000ft climbing? Quite a ride. I might go for just the summit first and then give the whole loop a try next.

    My Edge 305 just came this afternoon, I've been tinkering with it - once I get this route mapped out I'll throw it on and give it a try one of these weekends coming up.

    Thanks, Diablo Scott, great help.
    From the PH Bart, you'll want to take the Iron Horse bike trail (well marked) to the south/east a couple hundred meters to the Canal Trail intersection, and then take that about a mile east to Bancroft. Treat is not cycling friendly. I can help you with the details but it's hard to go wrong.

    Other than that, you've got it down perfectly.

    Some folks really love the back side (Morgan Territory), I'm not one of them.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morgan Territory is a very poorly maintained road north of Morgan Territory Regional Park (which happens to be close to the highest point on that road). I have some friends who like to ride this, but they will only go North to South, so that they are climbing up on the poorly maintained part North of the park, and descending on the better maintained road south of the park.

    Also, no cell phone coverage on the section just East of Mt. Diablo and the road is very lightly travelled - many are not comfortable riding it alone.

    JB

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra
    Posts
    751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott
    From the PH Bart, you'll want to take the Iron Horse bike trail (well marked) to the south/east a couple hundred meters to the Canal Trail intersection, and then take that about a mile east to Bancroft. Treat is not cycling friendly. I can help you with the details but it's hard to go wrong.

    Other than that, you've got it down perfectly.

    Some folks really love the back side (Morgan Territory), I'm not one of them.
    Great, thanks. Relying on Google Maps/Toporoute/Routeslip I often miss the convenient things like bike trails and if I'm on an unfamiliar route will get myself on one of those unfriendly streets a couple times before I figure it out. I'll have to get a hold of the EBBC maps.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Etape 105/Tiagra
    Posts
    751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb715
    Morgan Territory is a very poorly maintained road north of Morgan Territory Regional Park (which happens to be close to the highest point on that road). I have some friends who like to ride this, but they will only go North to South, so that they are climbing up on the poorly maintained part North of the park, and descending on the better maintained road south of the park.

    Also, no cell phone coverage on the section just East of Mt. Diablo and the road is very lightly travelled - many are not comfortable riding it alone.

    Good to know. I try to ride in loops whenever possible to keep the terrain fresh - but I might wait to do the Morgan Territory portion with a riding buddy. For now I'll stick to exploring the North side.

  12. #12
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    29,810
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  13. #13
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso
    Yeah I did it as part of a century. Not too bad. Directions are pretty clear, and after the Tunnel climb it's fairly flat until you hit Mt. Diablo. Coming back you can either do their route or go through Happy Valley. Which is what I ended up doing. If you do it on Saturday and willing to start at 9:30 you can ride part way with the team.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  14. #14
    Dolce far niente bigbossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    10,812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by law_in_motion
    ....Also, you can take one exit further south on 680, Sycamore Valley Road, and go east which will take you into downtown Danville. Again, lots of shops and parking.
    If you're going into downtown Danville for lunch, I highly recommend Norm's Bar and Grill for burgers and assorted other items that are very,very good. I won't eat anywhere else when passing through Danville.

    Also, there's a Starbucks a couple of doors down from Norm's. So, you can start there, warm up on the way up to Southgate road and the climb, and then return down to town and lunch at Norm's. That would be a good trip.
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

    S. J. Perelman

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •