Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sequoia Century - Interest Thread

    With all my flip flopping between NorCal and SoCal forum, looking for out of town organized rides, I completely overlooked that there is a local organized ride here in my backyard. Sequoia Century, put together by Western Wheelers, starts in Los Altos, and goes through Palo Alto, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, then back to Los Altos. I haven't done the entire loop, but I've done all the roads they will go through.

    The century ... actually more than a century ... is 112 miles, and about 9,000 feet of climbing. This will get your heart pumping. Too bad it's not going through Woodside, but I can understand why, after all the animosity between the city of Woodside and cycling.

    So many rides on this weekend ... hard to determine which one to do.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  2. #2
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spingineer
    With all my flip flopping between NorCal and SoCal forum, looking for out of town organized rides, I completely overlooked that there is a local organized ride here in my backyard. Sequoia Century, put together by Western Wheelers, starts in Los Altos, and goes through Palo Alto, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, then back to Los Altos. I haven't done the entire loop, but I've done all the roads they will go through.

    The century ... actually more than a century ... is 112 miles, and about 9,000 feet of climbing. This will get your heart pumping. Too bad it's not going through Woodside, but I can understand why, after all the animosity between the city of Woodside and cycling.

    So many rides on this weekend ... hard to determine which one to do.

    So when is it? And do you have a link?

  3. #3
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSean
    So when is it? And do you have a link?
    http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/sequoia/index.htm

    however, YOU have a ride the day before
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

  4. #4
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    http://www.westernwheelers.org/main/sequoia/index.htm

    however, YOU have a ride the day before

    I do? Dang Im glad I have somebody to keep track of that stuff for me.

  5. #5
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which one is that??? Like I said, busy weekend. The same weekend has Eastern Sierra also.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  6. #6
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSean
    I do? Dang Im glad I have somebody to keep track of that stuff for me.
    yes, you are doing the sierra century (assuming you aren't needed at home) w/vmc, tiff, and me.... remember?????
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

  7. #7
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm ... Sierra and Sequoia on the same weekend. Sierra is on Saturday, and Sequoia is on Sunday. You can make it a double over two days.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Sequoia last year, though I think they may have changed the route a little -- I don't remember it being 112 miles. I do remember lots and lots of climbing -- of the five centuries I did last year, it was definitely the toughest.

    FYI, another good local century in June is the Giro de Peninsula, which starts and ends at Bay Meadows and goes up Old La Honda, Tunitas Creek, etc.

    Last year, they had an ice-cream truck at one of the rest stops -- can't beat an ice-cream sandwich at mile 70 -- and lunch at the end was catered by some local Italian restaurant. Plus there was a commemorative tshirt as part of the registration fee...

    But even though it was a great value and a great route, it had noticeably fewer riders than any of the others I did.

  9. #9
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstantRider
    I did the Sequoia last year, though I think they may have changed the route a little -- I don't remember it being 112 miles. I do remember lots and lots of climbing -- of the five centuries I did last year, it was definitely the toughest.

    FYI, another good local century in June is the Giro de Peninsula, which starts and ends at Bay Meadows and goes up Old La Honda, Tunitas Creek, etc.

    Last year, they had an ice-cream truck at one of the rest stops -- can't beat an ice-cream sandwich at mile 70 -- and lunch at the end was catered by some local Italian restaurant. Plus there was a commemorative tshirt as part of the registration fee...

    But even though it was a great value and a great route, it had noticeably fewer riders than any of the others I did.
    OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!! And I'm free that weekend too!!!!! Thank you for pointing this one out!!!
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

  10. #10
    Senior Member BigSean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nor-Cal Bay Area
    Posts
    5,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    yes, you are doing the sierra century (assuming you aren't needed at home) w/vmc, tiff, and me.... remember?????

    Ohhhhhhh, your such a good secretary. Yeah, still wont know about that one yet.

  11. #11
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still on the fence about Eastern Sierra!
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  12. #12
    semifreddo amartuerer 'nother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sequoia is a good ride. I've done it the past 2 years. I think the stated elevation gain is a bit low, it's probably more like 10,000' but I don't know how much the route has changed.

    At any rate, it's well-supported and there's usually a good variety of terrain, sometimes less-traveled. Good way to discover new routes.


    As an aside: spingineer, were you out on the Portola loop this afternoon, around 5:30? I saw someone who looked suspiciously like your avatar, going clockwise. I was going counter-clockwise, in Webcor/Alto Velo kit. Near the Alpine/Portola intersection.
    Can you pass the test?
    Yield to Life.

  13. #13
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 'nother
    As an aside: spingineer, were you out on the Portola loop this afternoon, around 5:30? I saw someone who looked suspiciously like your avatar, going clockwise. I was going counter-clockwise, in Webcor/Alto Velo kit. Near the Alpine/Portola intersection.
    Nope, that wasn't me. I haven't been on the road this week.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  14. #14
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti SteveE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Republic of Anaerobia
    My Bikes
    Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
    Posts
    3,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The route appears to have significant differences from the previous two years. Especially the section between Pescadero and Santa Cruz and the climb on Mountain Charlie.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...'holy *****...what a ride!'"

  15. #15
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE
    The route appears to have significant differences from the previous two years. Especially the section between Pescadero and Santa Cruz and the climb on Mountain Charlie.
    I actually like that part of the route. But I'm still not decided on doing this one or not ... too many rides happening the weekend this ride is on ... there's Eastern Sierra, Sierra, and Sequoia, all on the same weekend.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  16. #16
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'm officially a flake, now. After looking at the schedule, this particular weekend falls on a weekend where it's my turn to go see dad. So I won't be around for the weekend of 6/2-6/3. I was leaning more towards Sierra, but unfortunately I'll have to miss it. Sorry ... have fun on Sierra.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  17. #17
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spingineer
    Ok, I'm officially a flake, now. After looking at the schedule, this particular weekend falls on a weekend where it's my turn to go see dad. So I won't be around for the weekend of 6/2-6/3. I was leaning more towards Sierra, but unfortunately I'll have to miss it. Sorry ... have fun on Sierra.
    Yup, you're a flake! Now you have to take the first turn towing me up old la honda
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

  18. #18
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are up late trac

  19. #19
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    you are up late trac
    just got to SLO... getting ready to go to sleep so I can ride wildflower tomorrow
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

  20. #20
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wish I was riding with you...it sounds fun

  21. #21
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    wish I was riding with you...it sounds fun
    ya gotta stop waffling and sign up for this stuff dauphin!!! ... now go sign up for Sierra on the 2nd!!!
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

  22. #22
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok...long as you are pushin me

  23. #23
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    ok...long as you are pushin me
    okay, I can push ya on the downhills
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

  24. #24
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevost
    Yup, you're a flake! Now you have to take the first turn towing me up old la honda
    No problem. I was a slug yesterday, especially with the heat. ME still doesn't believe me when I say I'm slow on a hill, even though she beat me to the top of Casitas pass.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  25. #25
    okay, maybe... tprevost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sierra Foothills, CA
    Posts
    3,712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spingineer
    No problem. I was a slug yesterday, especially with the heat. ME still doesn't believe me when I say I'm slow on a hill, even though she beat me to the top of Casitas pass.
    nope, me neither! Good Job yesterday, sounds like it was a great ride!
    Almost new 2005 Ksyrium Equipes; less than 1500 miles, PM me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •