Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Devil Mountain's Double

    Did anyone do this? If so, include a ride report. Makes for some entertaining reading. I'm not crazy enough to do that ... it's one thing to do an incredibly hilly double, but with 100 degree heat???
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  2. #2
    Climbing Fool terrymorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    My Bikes
    Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1
    Posts
    3,019
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine did it, and I rode with her today and heard her story.

    She was doing well until Mines Road (first female on the road), where she ran out of water. She struggled to get to the Junction, where she spent an hour before being able to remount. The rest of the ride was tough.

    It was unfortunate that last Saturday was the first really hot day. Nobody had the chance to have any heat training.
    Managing Director, Undiscovered Country Tours

  3. #3
    Senior Member flaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode it up until mile 150 and then sagged in at Milpitas. Terry, I saw your friend there, and talked briefly to her as I was getting ready to throw in the towel. It was 5:30 and seemingly hotter than ever, and I just couldn't face Sierra Road. Previous to that I was fighting cramps from Patterson onward. Mostly due to the heat, and probably too quick a pace on the first half. I also ran out of water on Mines; that didn't help.

    Anyway, other than the many hours of suffering, and the nagging sense of having failed, it was fantastic. Very, very scenic, good company from lots of very experienced riders, and great support. I recommend it to all masochists.

    Now, since like a good masochist I am already signed up for the Terrible Two, I need some help figuring out how to add to my training so I can actually finish... I guess this was a wake up call...

  4. #4
    Senior Member flaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, one more thing. What I want to know is, did the guy on the fixie finish? He looked pretty strong & was in front of me most of the time. He had a 68" gear. I cannot imagine.

  5. #5
    back of the autobus jobob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Union City, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot
    Posts
    742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some ride reports from members of the ACTC

    http://www.actc.org/stories/2007/DMD.htm

  6. #6
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flaco
    Oh yeah, one more thing. What I want to know is, did the guy on the fixie finish? He looked pretty strong & was in front of me most of the time. He had a 68" gear. I cannot imagine.
    There was a guy on a fixie? Now that is just nuts! Were there any bents (recumbents) out there?
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  7. #7
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    Here are some ride reports from members of the ACTC

    http://www.actc.org/stories/2007/DMD.htm
    Thanks for posting that. These are amazing stories. I was wondering how everyone did. I only did a ride with some friends from Van Nuys to Santa Barbara, 100 miles, 6000 feet of climbing. This seemed like a stroll in the park compared to what everyone did in DMD.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  8. #8
    Senior Member flaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least two recumbents. The really expensive looking carbon ones.

  9. #9
    back of the autobus jobob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Union City, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot
    Posts
    742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have access to the forums on bikejournal.com, a friend of mine wrote up a really great report there.

    The heat really took it's toll on many of the riders, and I gather there were a lot more DNFs than usual on account of it.

  10. #10
    Spinning like a gerbel spingineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    My Bikes
    Seven
    Posts
    7,947
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    The heat really took it's toll on many of the riders, and I gather there were a lot more DNFs than usual on account of it.
    There were also a high number of DNFs on Wildflower in Creston. It was just one of those unexpectedly rides, where everyone was unprepared to train for these conditions.
    I'm in it to finish it.

    My Cycling Blog

  11. #11
    back of the autobus jobob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Union City, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot
    Posts
    742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually supposed to do the Wildflower but I was still not over my head cold so I sold my reg. My friends had a really rough time in the heat, and they're much stronger than I. Guess I lucked out on that one.
    Last edited by jobob; 05-03-07 at 07:19 AM.

  12. #12
    Dolce far niente bigbossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    10,809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    If you have access to the forums on bikejournal.com, a friend of mine wrote up a really great report there.

    The heat really took it's toll on many of the riders, and I gather there were a lot more DNFs than usual on
    account of it.
    According to the DMD website, about a 30% DNF rate.

    A friend of mine and his two ride partners did this ride, and finished it. They left at 5:30am on Saturday, and came back to the finish at 1:30am Sunday.
    "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

    S. J. Perelman

  13. #13
    back of the autobus jobob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Union City, CA
    My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot
    Posts
    742
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flaco
    Oh yeah, one more thing. What I want to know is, did the guy on the fixie finish? He looked pretty strong & was in front of me most of the time. He had a 68" gear. I cannot imagine.
    There's a photo album online from the Pet the Goat rest stop at the top of Sierra Rd., with photos of riders posing with Alto the Goat.

    http://www.svihura.com/albums/DMD2007/index.html

    Here's a photo of a fixie at that stop at around 5:30 - is that the one you're talking about ? (can't imagine there were that many fixed gears on this ride). Can't tell who rode it tho, perhaps it was the man in the photo either just before or just after.

    http://www.svihura.com/albums/DMD200...4.28-0037.html

    I imagine if he reached Sierra by 5:30, baring any disaster afterwards, he finished the ride.

  14. #14
    Senior Member flaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    There's a photo album online from the Pet the Goat rest stop at the top of Sierra Rd., with photos of riders posing with Alto the Goat.

    http://www.svihura.com/albums/DMD2007/index.html

    Here's a photo of a fixie at that stop at around 5:30 - is that the one you're talking about ? (can't imagine there were that many fixed gears on this ride). Can't tell who rode it tho, perhaps it was the man in the photo either just before or just after.

    http://www.svihura.com/albums/DMD200...4.28-0037.html

    I imagine if he reached Sierra by 5:30, baring any disaster afterwards, he finished the ride.
    Yep, that's the one I saw. Dang. Not sure if I could identify the rider though -- he was way out ahead of me most of the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •