Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northern California Northern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-07, 07:59 PM   #1
CrankyMonkey
Average Guy
Thread Starter
 
CrankyMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area
Bikes: Surly Cross Check
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saratoga Chairwoman weighs in on Cycling

I just read this article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingn...nclick_check=1

The last paragraph is disturbing:

Although the city views bicycle lane safety as an important issue, commission chairwoman Brigitte Ballingall is not sure they even belong on the road. "I think it's an idiotic sport to do on the road - it's just insane," she said.

I know many of you ride through Saratoga, you should send her an email with your thoughts on her comments. Here is her email address: brige26@hotmail.com
CrankyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 08:41 PM   #2
johnny99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 10,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Your URL is invalid.
johnny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 08:50 PM   #3
7rider
Senior Member
 
7rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mountain View, CA
Bikes: 1999 Seven Sola, 2004 Bianchi Axis, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2 SL, 2006 Merlin Works CR 3/2.5, 2009 Kona Ute, Spot Acme
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_6641083

Here's a link that works.
7rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 01:39 PM   #4
Ty.S
Shameless Fred
 
Ty.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose
Bikes: 07' Trek 2100 / 05' Trek Fuel 80
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She apologized for that already. Saratoga is a dangerous place to ride, in my opinion, very narrow shoulder, older population, lots of tree cover that shades the road and lowers visibility.

http://www.cyclelicio.us/2007/08/tra...ion-chair.html
Ty.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 03:37 PM   #5
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyMonkey View Post
I just read this article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingn...nclick_check=1

The last paragraph is disturbing:

Although the city views bicycle lane safety as an important issue, commission chairwoman Brigitte Ballingall is not sure they even belong on the road. "I think it's an idiotic sport to do on the road - it's just insane," she said.

I know many of you ride through Saratoga, you should send her an email with your thoughts on her comments. Here is her email address: brige26@hotmail.com
I find the whole discussion of whether or not parking in bike lanes is disturbing, personally. So, if everyone who drives a car decides to park in the bike lanes, nothing can be done? Am I the only one who finds that ludicrous?

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 03:42 PM   #6
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Hill View Post
I find the whole discussion of whether or not parking in bike lanes is disturbing, personally. So, if everyone who drives a car decides to park in the bike lanes, nothing can be done? Am I the only one who finds that ludicrous?

East Hill
In that case I'll just take the lane. What goes around comes around. They want to park in the bike lane, I'll do whatever is necessary to guarantee my safety.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 04:01 PM   #7
johnny99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 10,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty.S View Post
She apologized for that already. Saratoga is a dangerous place to ride, in my opinion, very narrow shoulder, older population, lots of tree cover that shades the road and lowers visibility.
Some roads in many towns are narrow with tree cover, but I do not think that is true of the majority of roads in Saratoga. Wasn't the cyclist killed on Highway 9, which is a very wide road with bike lanes (at least in the section of Highway 9 connecting Saratoga and Los Gatos)?
johnny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 05:40 PM   #8
East Hill
Lanky Lass
 
East Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?
Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.
Posts: 21,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
In that case I'll just take the lane. What goes around comes around. They want to park in the bike lane, I'll do whatever is necessary to guarantee my safety.
I agree. But it's odd to suggest that it's perfectly acceptable to park in bike lanes, whereas DRIVING in bike lanes is prohibited .

East Hill
__________________
___________________________________________________
TRY EMPATHY & HAVE LOVE IN YOUR HEART, PERHAPS I'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD...
East Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 07:13 PM   #9
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
She was talking about Pierce Rd. Of course, if Pierce Rd is in Saratoga, the Saratoga P.D. can always ensure the California Vehicle Code is followed strictly by all users.
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 07:37 PM   #10
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti
 
SteveE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Anaerobia
Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
Posts: 3,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
Wasn't the cyclist killed on Highway 9, which is a very wide road with bike lanes (at least in the section of Highway 9 connecting Saratoga and Los Gatos)?
I thought he was killed on Saratoga Ave. near Lawrence; heading toward Saratoga. There ought to be "no parking or standing" signs on all bike lanes. Still, the cyclist should have had his head up and be watchful of what was in front of him.
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 10:49 PM   #11
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel
 
spingineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Bikes: Seven
Posts: 7,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty.S View Post
She apologized for that already. Saratoga is a dangerous place to ride, in my opinion, very narrow shoulder, older population, lots of tree cover that shades the road and lowers visibility.

http://www.cyclelicio.us/2007/08/tra...ion-chair.html
Well, IMHO, saying "I think it's an idiotic sport to do on the road - it's just insane," cannot be mistaken to be out of context. She is definitely an enemy to all cyclists, and she convinces me to think Saratoga is anti-cycling, and will try to avoid the city. At least they didn't arrest me for riding my bike in the city of Saratoga!
__________________
I'm in it to finish it.

My Cycling Blog
spingineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 11:40 AM   #12
Ty.S
Shameless Fred
 
Ty.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Jose
Bikes: 07' Trek 2100 / 05' Trek Fuel 80
Posts: 533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
the Saratoga P.D. can always ensure the California Vehicle Code is followed strictly by all users.
Nope, there is no such thing as the Saratoga P.D. The city of Saratoga contracts out with the county so you have Santa Clara County Sheriffs people there. Traditionally the sheriffs office ins't all too concerned with VC, at least in Saratoga. Now before you post on this thread about how you got a damn ticket in Saratoga, I'm refering to the VC that is traditionally enforced by CSOs for police departments, and the Sheriffs Office doesn't have any of those, so non moving violations (i.e parking in the bike lane) aren't going to be enforced.
Ty.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 PM.