Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The Memorial today-report

    So I spent most of my day online and on the phone today. I should have had the forethought to make it for tomorrow night when the Tuesday night training rides are going on in the park. It was a little to early to try to get people thinking memorial when they’re still reeling from the shock of this loss of life in the Biking community. BikeForums had a good turnout, Pizza Man, Constant rider and O_o showed up.

    I never met Pizza man before so it was nice to see him there, nice guy too just like the other two. Four woman showed up and as usual I can’t remember names. They seemed somewhat drained, I could see it in their faces. I had trouble making sense I think. I was drained hadn’t really eaten all day and dehydrated. A Kpix van was there taking pictures but it was a pretty small gathering. I had picked up a nice bunch of flowers “Delicate Daisy House on 6040 Geary. They gave me a nice break on the price.

    We talked for a bit and it was getting cold so everyone started doing relaxed laps. I sat there looking at the empty black bike with the flower arrangement and the scenario creeped back in. How do you wrap your mind around this. Everyone has a story of someone close or someone they know meeting their end on a bicycle. It happened to a member of a bike club I belonged to back in the 80’s which actually made me loose the Jones for cycling for a few years. It all came back. This time I could deal with it better.

    Hearing the soothing banter as the cyclists (my new friends) circled the track talking about their training their bicycles and the things we all talk about on our rides together. I really felt comforted. I thought that if Matt and Kristy were sitting here right now they would want it this way too. We all care so much deep down inside for each other. We are all so fragile yet so powerful in potential. Keep that in mind the next time we want to blow off at someone for a perceived threat to our personal space or our ego. Those others are just fragile humans too. Lets just work at making our space safer and raise the consciousness of people who don’t understand where we are coming from and what we experience. We’re all the same.

    Thanks for the turnout everyone, even for those who weren’t there were there in their heart of hearts. I think it will be nice when the owners of Roaring Mouse open the gate in the morning and see the beautiful flowers.

    Rest in Peace Matt and Kristy, our thoughts are with you tonight as you return home.
    Pete F. BikeForums.net
    Last edited by taxi777; 12-30-08 at 10:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)




    Last edited by taxi777; 03-10-08 at 11:27 PM. Reason: change

  3. #3
    Racing iS my Training Pizza Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    My Bikes
    07 Bianchi San Jose, 08 Tarmac SL2, 05 Cervelo P3
    Posts
    1,263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter,

    Thanks for putting this together. It was nice to meet you last night. I'm sure I'll see you again soon on a BF ride.


    Chris

  4. #4
    Senior Moment Member Gee3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Daly City, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite Double & a nude Bottecchia CF build
    Posts
    1,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete,

    It was very cool that you put this together. Sorry I could not show... but those of us that couldn't make it were supporting from the sidelines in our thoughts and prayers.

    Such tragedies certainly don't make my wife feel any easier with me riding my bike. But she knows that this is something I love to do so she tentatively supports my habit. I just try to reassure her as much as I can. (I guess if she was able to support my car racing habit she can handle this...)

    But these tragedies bring out everything in us: anger, sadness, fear, helplesness, the want to do soemthing about it, etc... And with the help of our loved ones and the cycling community (you guys) we are able to cope as best we can and do what we can to remember these good people that touched our lives, even if we didn't know them.

    One thought that came up was that maybe the next BF ride should be deemed the "Safety Ride". A very casual and short (10-20mile) ride where everyone riding adheres to all the rules of the road while wearing the most visible clothing we have so that we are very visible to the drivers and pedestrians around us. On this ride we remain courteous to drivers, wave to everyone and just make it a very friendly and cooperative ride between drivers and cyclists. I think this is a good time to try and heal relations between the two parties. And if we're lucky, maybe a few drivers will realize that not all cyclists are road hogs and next time they'll be more conscious and courteous of those around them.

    My problem is that I know jack about any good routes in the City or around the Bay Area that we could possibly do this so someone else would have to take the ball and run with it. But it's an idea that maybe we can kick around.

    Be safe and courteous,
    Gary
    This day will be over... one of these days!

    "I have cancer, cancer doesn't have me."
    Quote from a Kaiser commercial that reminds me of my mom.

  5. #5
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, you're a beacon in the storm. Thanks for caring an sharing.

    Gary, maybe the next Critical Manners ride, we BF'ers can join en masse.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cloverdale, CA.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 Black inc, Autouri
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,
    that sounds like a good idea. Anytime we can get a public audience (hence media) to promote bicyle safety it should be done. Count me in!
    Paul

  7. #7
    0_o
    0_o is offline
    ugg 0_o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    CA- bayarea
    My Bikes
    Steelman road & a plastic Pedal Force ZX3
    Posts
    601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, thanks again for setting up the ride last night.
    Hats off to you and everyone else that came out for the ride.

    Bump /+1 on Gary's ride Idea.
    The SF route should be easy to create. With so many SF cyclists popping in and out of the NorCal form, I'm sure we could all suggest few safe routes to ride on.
    We could take those suggestions and compile a list from of them. Then take that list and stitch it together to create a sweet little 10-20+ mile group ride...
    ((scratching my head wondering if that came out correctly LOL))

  8. #8
    Wheres my snuggie? taxi777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlastRadius View Post
    Pete, you're a beacon in the storm. Thanks for caring an sharing.

    Gary, maybe the next Critical Manners ride, we BF'ers can join en masse.
    I would love to do that and, dedicate it to the memory of Matt and Kristy! Like Gee said.

  9. #9
    Senior Moment Member Gee3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Daly City, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite Double & a nude Bottecchia CF build
    Posts
    1,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
    I would love to do that and, dedicate it to the memory of Matt and Kristy! Like Gee said.
    That would be really cool. Wow, I'm glad people are into it. Sorry I can't take it and run with it and I hope everyone doesn't mind picking it up for me. And it sounds like everyone can with good route ideas. I should thank Pete for his ride idea to spawn this one. Thanks Pete and thanks everyone else for your part in this. Let's git her dun!!
    This day will be over... one of these days!

    "I have cancer, cancer doesn't have me."
    Quote from a Kaiser commercial that reminds me of my mom.

  10. #10
    moth -----> flame Beaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon
    Posts
    5,908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
    So I spent most of my day online and on the phone today. I should have had the forethought to make it for tomorrow night when the Tuesday night training rides are going on in the park. It was a little to early to try to get people thinking memorial when they’re still reeling from the shock of this loss of life in the Biking community. BikeForums had a good turnout, Pizza Man, Constant rider and O_o showed up. I never met Pizza man before so it was nice to see him there, nice guy too just like the other two. Four woman showed up and as usual I can’t remember names. They seemed somewhat drained, I could see it in their faces. I had trouble making sense I think. I was drained hadn’t really eaten all day and dehydrated. A Kpix van was there taking pictures but it was a pretty small gathering. I had picked up a nice bunch of flowers “Delicate Daisy House on 6040 Geary. They gave me a nice break on the price.
    We talked for a bit and it was getting cold so everyone started doing relaxed laps. I sat there looking at the empty black bike with the flower arrangement and the scenario creeped back in. How do you wrap your mind around this. Everyone has a story of someone close or someone they know meeting their end on a bicycle. It happened to a member of a bike club I belonged to back in the 80’s which actually made me loose the Jones for cycling for a few years. It all came back. This time I could deal with it better. Hearing the soothing banter as the cyclists (my new friends) circled the track talking about their training their bicycles and the things we all talk about on our rides together. I really felt comforted. I thought that if Matt and Kristy were sitting here right now they would want it this way too. We all care so much deep down inside for each other. We are all so fragile yet so powerful in potential. Keep that in mind the next time we want to blow off at someone for a perceived threat to our personal space or our ego. Those others are just fragile humans too. Lets just work at making our space safer and raise the consciousness of people who don’t understand where we are coming from and what we experience. We’re all the same. Thanks for the turnout everyone, even for those who weren’t there were there in their heart of hearts. I think it will be nice when the owners of Roaring Mouse open the gate in the morning and see the beautiful flowers.
    Rest in Peace Matt and Kristy, our thoughts are with you tonight as you return home.
    Pete F. BikeForums.net
    That is some very moving and wise prose, Pete. While finding a way to make these group rides that you guys organize is frankly tough for me with my work/family commitments, you should know how much your posts are appreciated beyond the people who are able to ride with you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •