Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northern California Northern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-08, 11:34 PM   #1
cantdrv55
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cantdrv55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How about an easy group ride for a change?

I'd love to join you folks on your group rides but they all seem so hard. I keep reading about these epic events and even though they're social rides, I'd feel guilty having you people wait for me at the top while I walk my bike up. OK, I'm exagerrating a bit but I am a very, very slow climber. I'll make it to the top but by the time I get there, you'll already be at your resting heart rate. I'll still be using mind over matter, focusing on keeping my ticker from jumping out of my XXL jersey.

Anyway, would anyone like to lead an easy ride? How about a 50 miler with no more than 2500' of elevation change and a lunch stop in the middle? I know this sounds like just a recovery ride to most of you folks but it'll be worth it, I promise. I'm great company

I'd organize and lead one but will you show up?
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:02 AM   #2
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Bikes:
Posts: 10,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I'd love to join you folks on your group rides but they all seem so hard. I keep reading about these epic events and even though they're social rides, I'd feel guilty having you people wait for me at the top while I walk my bike up. OK, I'm exagerrating a bit but I am a very, very slow climber. I'll make it to the top but by the time I get there, you'll already be at your resting heart rate. I'll still be using mind over matter, focusing on keeping my ticker from jumping out of my XXL jersey.

Anyway, would anyone like to lead an easy ride? How about a 50 miler with no more than 2500' of elevation change and a lunch stop in the middle? I know this sounds like just a recovery ride to most of you folks but it'll be worth it, I promise. I'm great company

I'd organize and lead one but will you show up?
Glad you mentioned it!

I pitched a "low and slow" ride last year, but never got around to organizing it. Maybe start at the Park N' Ride in San Ramon off of 680/Bollinger Canyon, and go down San Ramon Valley Blvd up to Rossmore and back. Very little climbing, lots of places to stop for coffe/pastry/food. A lot of possible variations to add in miles, too.
__________________
"Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin, itís the triumphant twang of a bedspring."

S. J. Perelman
bigbossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:10 AM   #3
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Posts: 6,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just a note. We like to claim epic. Like my skiing, I'm a lot faster on the net then on the road.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:15 AM   #4
Red Rider
Don't mince words
 
Red Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vacaville, CA
Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Posts: 6,948
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You'd have kept up with us in Vacaville last fall. There was no climbing whatsoever, right, Curtis & BBM?
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:22 AM   #5
msincredible
crazy bike girl
 
msincredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: CA Central Coast
Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This one should be a nice easy pace.
msincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 01:21 AM   #6
cantdrv55
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cantdrv55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msincredible View Post
This one should be a nice easy pace.
IN!
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 01:23 AM   #7
cantdrv55
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cantdrv55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Glad you mentioned it!

I pitched a "low and slow" ride last year, but never got around to organizing it. Maybe start at the Park N' Ride in San Ramon off of 680/Bollinger Canyon, and go down San Ramon Valley Blvd up to Rossmore and back. Very little climbing, lots of places to stop for coffe/pastry/food. A lot of possible variations to add in miles, too.
Pitch it again and I'll be there.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 01:44 AM   #8
bigtruck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I'd love to join you folks on your group rides but they all seem so hard. I keep reading about these epic events and even though they're social rides,
?
Well said as a newbie Ill be there dependant on the family situation that day but if I have some notice I can arrange someone to look after the kids if needed
bigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:05 PM   #9
Rushfan
Senior Member
 
Rushfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, CA, USA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm leading a ride for the Davis Bike Club on Saturday, March 29 that I was planning on posting about here. Anyone interested is invited, send me a PM if you have any questions.

Here's the ride description:

Upper Cache Creek Ride, Saturday March 29, 9am. Terrain: flat valley with rolling hills, maybe 1,000' total climbing, pace 15-17 mph with no drops. 54 miles

Ride starts at Cache Creek Casino, in Yolo County's Capay Valley. Meet at the open parking lot next to the gas station. A quiet country ride through the glorious Capay Valley and Rumsey Canyon, previewing a portion of the Davis Double, turning around at State Highway 20. Beautiful scenery, low traffic, and limted services (no cell phone service), so bring your own snacks for the ride, with lunch at the casino a possiblity after. Water and restrooms are available at Cache Creek parks along the way. Rain cancels.

Joe Lynch
Rushfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:54 PM   #10
ROJA
Pepperoni Power
 
ROJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oaklandish
Bikes:
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a great ride that I did last weekend: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/927042 (morgan territory). I believe it's in your neck of the woods.
(not my motionbased site, though)
ROJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:55 PM   #11
Gee3
Senior Moment Member
 
Gee3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Daly City, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555
Posts: 1,354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushfan View Post
I'm leading a ride for the Davis Bike Club on Saturday, March 29 that I was planning on posting about here. Anyone interested is invited, send me a PM if you have any questions.

Here's the ride description:

Upper Cache Creek Ride, Saturday March 29, 9am. Terrain: flat valley with rolling hills, maybe 1,000' total climbing, pace 15-17 mph with no drops. 54 miles

Ride starts at Cache Creek Casino, in Yolo County's Capay Valley. Meet at the open parking lot next to the gas station. A quiet country ride through the glorious Capay Valley and Rumsey Canyon, previewing a portion of the Davis Double, turning around at State Highway 20. Beautiful scenery, low traffic, and limted services (no cell phone service), so bring your own snacks for the ride, with lunch at the casino a possiblity after. Water and restrooms are available at Cache Creek parks along the way. Rain cancels.

Joe Lynch
My wife might actually be up for that ride... althought that just means that she'd let me ride it while she was in the casino... It depends if we can get the grandparent's to babysit. I'll let you know!

As for any other rides for us mere mortals... I'm down!
Gee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 01:34 PM   #12
cantdrv55
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cantdrv55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushfan View Post
I'm leading a ride for the Davis Bike Club on Saturday, March 29 that I was planning on posting about here. Anyone interested is invited, send me a PM if you have any questions.

Here's the ride description:

Upper Cache Creek Ride, Saturday March 29, 9am. Terrain: flat valley with rolling hills, maybe 1,000' total climbing, pace 15-17 mph with no drops. 54 miles

Ride starts at Cache Creek Casino, in Yolo County's Capay Valley. Meet at the open parking lot next to the gas station. A quiet country ride through the glorious Capay Valley and Rumsey Canyon, previewing a portion of the Davis Double, turning around at State Highway 20. Beautiful scenery, low traffic, and limted services (no cell phone service), so bring your own snacks for the ride, with lunch at the casino a possiblity after. Water and restrooms are available at Cache Creek parks along the way. Rain cancels.

Joe Lynch
This sounds like a great ride. Unfortunately, I will be on vacation with the family - spring break for the kiddies. Please let me know of future rides, though. I'd really love to join you folks.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 02:42 PM   #13
Rushfan
Senior Member
 
Rushfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, CA, USA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cache Creek ride: Forgot to mention-club rules dictate everyone must have a helmet.
Rushfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 10:30 AM   #14
Rushfan
Senior Member
 
Rushfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, CA, USA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushfan View Post
I'm leading a ride for the Davis Bike Club on Saturday, March 29 that I was planning on posting about here. Anyone interested is invited, send me a PM if you have any questions.

Here's the ride description:

Upper Cache Creek Ride, Saturday March 29, 9am. Terrain: flat valley with rolling hills, maybe 1,000' total climbing, pace 15-17 mph with no drops. 54 miles

Ride starts at Cache Creek Casino, in Yolo County's Capay Valley. Meet at the open parking lot next to the gas station. A quiet country ride through the glorious Capay Valley and Rumsey Canyon, previewing a portion of the Davis Double, turning around at State Highway 20. Beautiful scenery, low traffic, and limted services (no cell phone service), so bring your own snacks for the ride, with lunch at the casino a possiblity after. Water and restrooms are available at Cache Creek parks along the way. Rain cancels.

Joe Lynch
This ride is still on, and you all are welcome to join us. Looks like rain Friday night but dry Saturday. PM me for more info or to confirm your interest.
Rushfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 11:02 AM   #15
t4mv
ES&D
 
t4mv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roadieville, USA
Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Joe, thanks for shooting me the info; I think we're still on for your ride w/ the tandem, so we'll just keep our fingers crossed w/ the rain and alarm clock.. Did you get a chance to convince DBCSteve to come out for the ride?
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 11:04 AM   #16
huytheskigod
Senior Member
 
huytheskigod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been pretty quiet but if there's enough interest, I could lead a ride on one of my usual weekend routes out of Davis. It would be 35-45ish miles of pretty much flat riding with maybe one overpass with a stop at a great coffee shop at the halfway. 14-17mph no drop similar to the DBC ride. This would be some variation of Davis to winters and back with detours added in depending on what length ride everyone wants. We can even arrange it so the start/end is at one of the great mexican/burrito restaurants in town. Start/End could also be on the UCD campus as there is free parking on weekends and it's closer to downtown where most of the restaurants are. Yeah, I'm writing in generalities but if there's interest, I can come up with a more specific plan. What say all of you?
huytheskigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 11:24 AM   #17
t4mv
ES&D
 
t4mv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roadieville, USA
Bikes: 3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
Posts: 1,372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Huy, put it out there, we'll come. Who can resist the classic Davis to Winters and back. I know this is a ways off, but, how about one of these in July-ish when the apricots ripen? The rule is it's fair game if they're on the ground, right?
t4mv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 11:30 AM   #18
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I'd love to join you folks on your group rides but they all seem so hard. I keep reading about these epic events and even though they're social rides, I'd feel guilty having you people wait for me at the top while I walk my bike up. OK, I'm exagerrating a bit but I am a very, very slow climber. I'll make it to the top but by the time I get there, you'll already be at your resting heart rate. I'll still be using mind over matter, focusing on keeping my ticker from jumping out of my XXL jersey.

Anyway, would anyone like to lead an easy ride? How about a 50 miler with no more than 2500' of elevation change and a lunch stop in the middle? I know this sounds like just a recovery ride to most of you folks but it'll be worth it, I promise. I'm great company

I'd organize and lead one but will you show up?
Dont let the talk intimidate you. The rides Ive been on are very mellow. Actually thats why I dont show up much anymore. not that Im real fast, I just prefer to keep riding. So I ride alone, alot. I will make a group ride soon. Actually the ride they are doing this weekend falls into this catagory, just a bit more climbing.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 12:00 PM   #19
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?
 
taxi777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 3,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huytheskigod View Post
I've been pretty quiet but if there's enough interest, I could lead a ride on one of my usual weekend routes out of Davis. It would be 35-45ish miles of pretty much flat riding with maybe one overpass with a stop at a great coffee shop at the halfway. 14-17mph no drop similar to the DBC ride. This would be some variation of Davis to winters and back with detours added in depending on what length ride everyone wants. We can even arrange it so the start/end is at one of the great mexican/burrito restaurants in town. Start/End could also be on the UCD campus as there is free parking on weekends and it's closer to downtown where most of the restaurants are. Yeah, I'm writing in generalities but if there's interest, I can come up with a more specific plan. What say all of you?
I might be interested even though it's kind of a drive. I'm trying to get my other half to do longer rides, but she needs flat. The next two weekends would be a problem on Saturday. Would you be able to do Sunday rides, and do you think others would be up for it. Sunday's are a better travel day too. Maybe 10ish start. I'm booked up every weekend starting Apr. 19th till July with Centurys and what not.
Taxi777
and Madcow1950...She's pretty quick on the flats
__________________
Blame It On The Dog Blog
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 01:47 PM   #20
Rushfan
Senior Member
 
Rushfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, CA, USA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by huytheskigod View Post
I've been pretty quiet but if there's enough interest, I could lead a ride on one of my usual weekend routes out of Davis. It would be 35-45ish miles of pretty much flat riding with maybe one overpass with a stop at a great coffee shop at the halfway. 14-17mph no drop similar to the DBC ride. This would be some variation of Davis to winters and back with detours added in depending on what length ride everyone wants. We can even arrange it so the start/end is at one of the great mexican/burrito restaurants in town. Start/End could also be on the UCD campus as there is free parking on weekends and it's closer to downtown where most of the restaurants are. Yeah, I'm writing in generalities but if there's interest, I can come up with a more specific plan. What say all of you?
I basically do the same ride every weekend, with the DBC or not, so just give me notice & I'd join in.
Rushfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 01:49 PM   #21
Rushfan
Senior Member
 
Rushfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, CA, USA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
Hi, Joe, thanks for shooting me the info; I think we're still on for your ride w/ the tandem, so we'll just keep our fingers crossed w/ the rain and alarm clock.. Did you get a chance to convince DBCSteve to come out for the ride?
He wasn't on the ride I was at last weekend, unfortunately. But I shot an email to the club listserv, so we'll see. Looking forward to meeting you & your son.
Rushfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 01:55 PM   #22
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Mateo, CA
Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Custom CAAD9 BB30, 90 Santana Arriva Tandem, 02 CAAD4 errand bike, 87 Cannondale "Black Lightning"
Posts: 4,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSean View Post
Dont let the talk intimidate you. The rides Ive been on are very mellow. Actually thats why I dont show up much anymore. not that Im real fast, I just prefer to keep riding. So I ride alone, alot. I will make a group ride soon. Actually the ride they are doing this weekend falls into this category, just a bit more climbing.
+1

The pace on the flats is relaxed. Everyone is chatting. It's fun

There is no pace on the climbs. It just doesn't make any sense. Some riders find someone else that they can share a comfortable pace with (for example ,often times Ramon and I do). Otherwise, you just go at your pace.

Same for descents, some are wicked fast (Pete, Henry, etc..), and others are not. No big deal.

We always wait at the top of a big climb or the bottom of a descent that splits up the group. Most of us don't mind waiting either. For example, I use the opportunity to eat a gel pack or Cliff Bar, and make chit-chat.
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 02:30 PM   #23
huytheskigod
Senior Member
 
huytheskigod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This sound encouraging. I'm booked next two weekends as well with a camping trip and our engagement party but the weekend of April 12 & 13 looks promising. Saturday or Sunday is fine with me. I'll take a preliminary poll as to which day is better than I'll start a thread with more info. We can do it again in Julyish so t4mv can get some apricots.
huytheskigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 03:40 PM   #24
genejockey
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Bikes: Battaglin MAX, Chorus kit; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, 7410 Dura Ace
Posts: 1,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post

We always wait at the top of a big climb or the bottom of a descent that splits up the group. Most of us don't mind waiting either. For example, I use the opportunity to eat a gel pack or Cliff Bar, and make chit-chat.
That's true - the time Marco and I went up Kings Mtn, he waited so long for me his legs tightened up and I could keep up with him after that.

In fact, I think I had to drag him back up Canada....
genejockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 04:10 PM   #25
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
That's true - the time Marco and I went up Kings Mtn, he waited so long for me his legs tightened up and I could keep up with him after that.

In fact, I think I had to drag him back up Canada....
Yep thats what can happen. Thats why the fast guys need to turn around and decend to the last rider and climb it again.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 PM.