Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > > >

Northern California Northern California

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-08, 12:08 PM   #1
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953
Thread Starter
 
cccorlew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Antioch, CA (SF Bay Area)
Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Posts: 6,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Seattle to Portland

I just signed up Tricia and myself for Seattle to Portland. YIKES! What with add ons and bus rides and parking and 2 hotel nights (not counting motels we'll use on the drive up and back) it came to almost $700. And that's before commemorative jerseys and mid point lodging.

I started signing us up and it just got out of hand, but it was too late to stop once I'd hit the first button. At least they provide food on the ride. And I'm sure gas will be back to a buck a gallon by this summer, so that won't be an issue.

Any NorCal folks going to be silly enough to sign up for this?
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 12:26 PM   #2
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?
 
taxi777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 3,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
I just signed up Tricia and myself for Seattle to Portland. YIKES! What with add ons and bus rides and parking and 2 hotel nights (not counting motels we'll use on the drive up and back) it came to almost $700. And that's before commemorative jerseys and mid point lodging.

I started signing us up and it just got out of hand, but it was too late to stop once I'd hit the first button. At least they provide food on the ride. And I'm sure gas will be back to a buck a gallon by this summer, so that won't be an issue.

Any NorCal folks going to be silly enough to sign up for this?
Congrats and you'll have such a great time. Lots of picts! Someone has to stay here and take care of the BF fold while while mom and dad are on their 2nd honeymoon, so I'm out...
__________________
Blame It On The Dog Blog
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 12:36 PM   #3
jonathanb715
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Kestrel Talon
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got other plans that weekend, but I know a lot of the TnT folks training for it. I think Pete has managed to insult a fair number of them by now. (hint - you don't know him).

Enjoy it - it's supposed to be a great ride!

JB
jonathanb715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 09:58 PM   #4
Rushfan
Senior Member
 
Rushfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Woodland, CA, USA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's my big ride for the year, but I'm planning to save money by finishing in one day. I've done it twice in the past, two day and one day, and if you can finish a century strong, you can do STP in a day. I'm also saving money by staying with my friend in Seattle only 5 miles from the starting line. We've also discussed making the drive in one day, possibly meeting my friend in Portland to get a ride north.

And food on the ride, not so special. Pretty bland at most stops. You're not getting great value there.
Rushfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-08, 10:07 PM   #5
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's some really nice scenery up in Washington and Oregon between the big cities. Should be a great ride! Definitely take pictures.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 10:54 AM   #6
redspoke
Senior Member
 
redspoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Room 237 at the Overlook Hotel
Bikes: Hyphy-Trek
Posts: 791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is also my big ride of the year. My brother (who lives in Seattle) and I are doing it in 1 day. We usually go up there during the summer for at least a week so I'm planning the trip around that weekend. My wife is going to pick us up in Portland and take us back to Seattle that night. I want to finish in under15 hours but I'm definitely mounting my lights just in case.
I'm currently thinking about how many Hammer Espresso gels I'm going to down that day... I should probably just get a 26-serving jug and keep it in one of my bottle holders.
redspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 12:32 PM   #7
taxi777
Wheres my snuggie?
 
taxi777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Francisco
Bikes:
Posts: 3,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanb715 View Post
I've got other plans that weekend, but I know a lot of the TnT folks training for it. I think Pete has managed to insult a fair number of them by now. (hint - you don't know him).

Enjoy it - it's supposed to be a great ride!

JB
Hmm...I'm looking for someone to annoy that weekend....Hmmm..who should it be...let me seeeee....
just too many choices...I'll have to sleep on it....J O N O T H A N Nnnnn ...........
__________________
Blame It On The Dog Blog
taxi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 12:42 PM   #8
jonathanb715
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Kestrel Talon
Posts: 1,695
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi777 View Post
Hmm...I'm looking for someone to annoy that weekend....Hmmm..who should it be...let me seeeee....
just too many choices...I'll have to sleep on it....J O N O T H A N Nnnnn ...........
LOL - I can just see you part way up Ebbet's Pass, stop watch in hand, wondering why I'm going so slowly

JB
jonathanb715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 PM.